Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Fiona say happy birthday to your sister from Anita and myself, well done on your interval session.

Teknik well done on your run and congratulations on the 22 years with the OH enjoy your night out.

AGF well done on getting Lulu round the parkrun.

OH I'm looking out at the sea and you wouldn't get me swimming in that in a hurry image good luck for the half tomorrow.

MG1 Great long run, 20 miles seems like such a long way for me now, starnge as sometimes it feels so easy and not that far. 

Well I managed to get out between the rain showers and ran up part of Slieve Donard from the hotel and back, now cant get it onto Fetch....... fantastic views from the top and could make out my hills and Belfast. Out for a meal tonight and a couple of glasses of red wineimage.

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

AGF, good to hear that you're feeling better, won't be long before you're back to full fitness, I'm not sure about running without the garmin, what I might try is covering the screen during Moray HM in a fortnight

Tek, congrats enjoy your celebration image nice run earlier, races are fine but I've got one to add, Culloden run 1746, 17.46km, 27 Oct 13

SM, nice swim hope parkrun went well

Fiona, very windy today... report to follow, 3 interval sessions in a week hardcore  

NP, enjoy the birthday celebrations, 

---------------------------------------------------

Nairn Half 

The race started at the Games, one lap of the track and it was out along the path beside the beach a very stiff wind at our back on the way out knew that this was going to be in our face on the way in, it was not a hilly route but there were a few steady inclines to tackle, the sun was out and even with the wind it was still warm, got through the first half fairly comfortably running in the high 8:20's for the first 7 miles and then we turned back into the wind, at this point the heavens opened up hammering it down for about 10 - 15 minutes, still managing to keep the tempo up got to around 10 miles and the legs started to gripe, miles 9 and 10 were extemely tough and the pace dropped slightly, picked it back up during the last mile running back along the path now the wind felt like a gale very blustry almost knocked me sideways, we finished on the track and I managed to get the legs to move a little faster

finishing time 1:51:19, and a new PB just over a minute, delighted with that given how windy it was

Stats: 13.1mi, 1:51:19, 8:30mm, avgHR169(89%)

• Options

had a fall on my tempo run last saturday, strained the ligaments in my knee. Previously had 2 steroid injections. Thankfully after 4 days rest it has now started to ease up still sore after a run. Missed the Bispham 10km. Going on a long run tomorrow to assess the situation and plan the way forward.

• Options

Well done StewartC image New PB imageimageimage
    especially in this weather (we had it too!)

My turn tomorrow (gale warning in place) image

NP - given the sea didn't look inviting, but it was fine once in the water
    Good you got up part of Slieve Donard

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SC great running in poor conditions but a great PB and I guess still more to comeimageimageimage.

Mel fingers crossed for your knee, just go easy.

OH very windy here still with no sign of it dropping..... I can see why so many people take up fell running just for the views.

• Options

Good luck OH

super racing and PB Stewart..  No wonder your chuffed..

hope the recovery goes well Mel...

• Options

Quick post before I go off out

OH - Good luck tomorrow

Mel - Hope the knee isn't too bad

Stewart - great racing again, well done on the shiny new PB

NP - Sounds like a good hilly runimage

-------------

4.5 with 21.21 image parkrun this morning.

I may need to learn how to tie my shoelaces...

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NP,

Happy birthday to your OH,

Fiona,

Happy birthday to your sister.

--------

Well done on everyone's training.

We went to Winchester today with Chris' parents & I took a lot of photos of the cathedral.  They're also around tomorrow so we're planning on going to the Roman palace at Fishbourne just outside Chichester.  I'll post a link to the photos if they're any good once I've processed everything.

• Options

lots of birthdays and good running, great!

two days of eating, drinking and not running for meimage - my brother turned up wanting to go to town and get drunk. Oops!

20 tomorrow to try and burn off 5 pints of Ruddles!

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday NP! imageimage Thanks from my sister for the birthday wishes and she wishes you and Anita Happy Birthday too. image Sounds like you had a good run with great views.

MG1 well done on the 20, good to have done it! Sitting here thinking about my first one and still blowing a gale out there!

Stewart a PB, fantastic!!! imageimage I was thinking about you as it was really windy and just seemed to get stronger as the day progressed so very well done, that would be a good few minutes faster on a regular day. Nairn is known for either blowing a gale or being too hot! image

Mel as NP says take it easy.

OH good luck! image 

Stuart I hope you didn't trip!?

HM4 thanks. image Sounds a nice day sightseeing.

Hope the 20 goes well IJ.

AGF I hope you are still on the road to recovery.

Heading out around 9am so time for another coffee. image

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Well thats the birthday run done and dusted just over 8 miles nice and steady, legs a little heavy from the hill yesterday, eating and drinking far to much.......will get back to normal after Monday and got an inter club race on Tuesday night with the first six to count....

Fiona hope you and your sister had a great day together, is she still running? Hope your run is rain free.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

MG well done on bagging the 20m - nice pace in blustery conditions

NP nice run up Slieve Donard, hope you enjoyed the meal last night and happy birthday todayimage. Nice run this morning !

Stewart PeeBee !! imageimage Great running in the wind and rain, and nice reportimage

Mel sorry to hear about the fallimage. Hope you've recovered well.

OH hope the weather's ok up thereimage

Stuart oh no!  What went wrong?image

AGF how are you feeling now?

HM nice day out. The Roman villa sounds like a fun visitimage

IJ hope the 20 is going ok

Fiona enjoy your long run...hope the wind isn't too much

---

20m long run for me, 4 blocks of (3 hard, 2 easy).  I ran the hard miles at average 8.00mm, which was mostly fine, never breaching 83%maxHR, although there was a tough headwind against me along an arterial road for one of the blocks.  Recoveries were around 9-9:30 pace. 

Weekly Statfest:  74.9m in 10h38, avg. 8:31mm and avg.HR 154 (72.6%)

• Options
    Fiona hope your LR has been a good one image

NP i am sure that 8 would have burnt off some of the birthday excess!

Tek like the way you ran your 20, will give that a go image well done on your weeks totals

5 m easy shakedown on the legs earlier, 42 m for the week.
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

NP she entered Amsterdam half but I am 99% sure she'll not do it! She did start running again but has done nothing for a couple of months now. Each to their own I guess!! Good that the birthday run is done. Are you doing Dublin this year?

Well done on the 20 Teknik, a quality run! Also a great week's stats.

My 20 was just a run. The first in a while so good to get it done. Previously I have rested the day before a long run so having done 13.5m yesterday incl intervals the legs certainly knew about it! Anyway, I survived and having one of the girls to run with for most of the run certainly helped. image Week's stats: 75.6m, 10:20:35, av pace 8:13mm HR 160. Very similar to Teknik! image

F

• Options

the twenty became short as my left hip / glutes and right ankle were very tight and sore. Started slightly fast, then one of the faster lads turned back to join me and the new boy (who's aiming for sub 4 at Loch Ness). The next few miles were well paced and steady as we chatted, but my ankle hurt more at 12 - 13 miles. I decided to drop off the back and take a different route home.

17.5 isn't too bad, just need to look after my ankles this week!

• Options

Just back 2:01 weather wet and very windy (32kts gusting 43kts) so happy enough with that.

Nice long runs Tek FionaC and IJ

4.5 pints next time IJ! image

• Options

OH - That's a solid time on such a windy day, good goingimage

IJ - Take care of the ankles, 17.5 certaintly isn't a bad run

Fiona - Nice 20, especially after 13.5 yesterday. A great total for the week tooimage And no, I didn't fall yesterday both shoelaces came out during my parkrun so I sorta gave up for a bit then decided to race someone. I have spent most of the year running in trainers without laces, so never had to worry about tying them properly...

MG - Good total for the week

Tek - Another tough long run for you! Great running for the week too!

NP - Happy birthdayimage Nice running this morning.

-----------

13.1 miles @ 8:35ave 

Far too fast, especially the 2nd half which was into a stiff headwind. Dunno why but I seem to have the urge to run faster on a Sunday than the rest of the week...

Going to increase the long run distance the next couple of weeks and then keep it around 15-16 miles.

Next attempt at getting rid of this 20:44 5k PB will be in a fortnight in my old hometown of St Andrews. Providing it's a flatter course than Falkirk (and I can master tying my trainers) my PB will go...

• Options

don't think the beers affected my time, but the 3.5 mile stagger home at 3am might have had an effect!

• Options
    Iccle Jim wrote (see)

lots of birthdays and good running, great!

20 tomorrow to try and burn off 5 pints of Ruddles!

... so perhaps 17.5 to burn off 4.5 pintsimageimage

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

It was. The mosaics were great.

------------

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

SM, unlucky with the PB attempt at parkrun, not far off my race pace yesterday for your long run today

Fiona, great stats for the week, well done with te 20 too, it has been 2 weeks since I've ran long

NP, nice hill run and your 8 today, good luck for your club race on tuesday

Tek, another 20 in the bag great tats for the week too

OH, some strong winds up your way, well done getting out 

IJ, sounds like a tough run, recover well

HM, sounds like you have had a great day

------------------------------------

2 mile run to the sports centre followed by body balance then a 2 mile run home, legs felt a little tired and heavy, 

stats for the week, 45.6mi, 7:12:42, 9:29mm, avgHR 151(79%)

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Fiona great 20 in the bank, not doing Dublin as we will be away on Holiday in September and I dont fancy doing my long runs in Egypt, might not do another marathon the last two years have been hard to swallow after putting in so much work. Not sure what to do next..........

Teknik great running nice 20 in the bank.

SM unlucky with the PB attempt but there is still more to come.

OH well done with your running sir, pity about the weather.

Jim nice running.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Happy birthdays to NP, mrs NP and Fiona,

Stewart- well done on the pbimageimageimage

i haven't been here lately cos it has been pretty much train, eat, recover, train, eat, sleep! Ran 40 mins at MP yesterday evening ( around 6.5m) and followed ith a 3 hour run this morning which turned out at around 24.26m. Legs definitely still feeling the mp effort, but all good. 

Weekly stats: 114.23m in 14.19.24 ( 7.31 av) imageimage 7 weeks to go....

• Options

uncomfortable night (rib)- maybe a few days rest now ... image

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Jason that's fantastic running and weekly miles.

OH hope your feeling better soon.

.5 mile swim as its a rest day but how swim unfit am Iimage need to get to the pool more.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

MG nice 5m easy and well done on the 42m for the weekimage

Fiona nice 20m.  Great stats for the week - there's a big difference between your 8:13 and my 8:31 !!image

IJ well done on the 17.5m - hope the ankle's ok this morningimage

OH well done on the Half - 42 knots wind !!image

Stuart shame about the shoelacesimage, well done on the 13.1m

Stewart well done on the runs and the gym, and a good week's trainingimage

Jason that was a huge long run - and then some recovery miles too. Another mighty weekimage

OH get well soon(er)

NP well done on the swimming

---

Nothing much here - just a 3m recovery jog @sub70% max.

• Options

Hi Hope everyone had a good weekend..too much food and drink for me and NO training since Friday !! a 50TH birthday  party to go to Saturday night and big boozy bbq yesterday and it has left me feeling pretty delicate, I rarely drink these days and when I do boy do I suffer

Stewart very well done on the half marathon pb fabulous running and race report, sounds like tough conditions I dont mind rain, but strong winds are no fun.

NP hope Anita had a nice day, and I a with you...all these 20 milers going on seems a life time ago we were doing one most weekends doesnt it ?
    I do feel a bit like you about marathons at the moment, I had injury this year and missed last year because the year before I had a bad run in VLM too hot, so its been over 2 years since I have doine a decent marathon, but marathons arent the be all and end all, I have running friends that have never done a marathon but are very sucsessful over shorter distances one of my female club mates  in top 5 for half marathon and 10k ,and is number 1 in uk rankings over 5k she is 56

Tek awesome mileage lately well done you,and another 20 in the bank

Fiona my sister is just the same , its frustrating at times but as you say it takes all kinds and not everyone gets bitten by the running bug, lots of mileage for you again well done on another great weeks training

IJ 17.5 not too bad at all take care of the niggles

OH great running in windy conditions

SM6 lovely pace for that 13.1 !! at least if you get the urge to run faster on a sunday its a good thing !! thats when most races are held !

Jason what more is there to say..fantastic miles, speed, everything ! as per usual !

After completely overindulging all weekend, I decided to punish myslef with some intervals 2 miles warm up then on a flattish bit of road I did 5 x 4 mins fast (for me ) with 2 mins easy jog recs...managed to do just one at 7.15s, the other were between 7.25/7.30 min miles....serves me right ...image then 2 miles cool down

• Options

NN - Nice intervals this morningimage

Tek - Nice easy jog earlier

Jason - Great running yesterday, massive total for the week!image

Stewart - Well done on the run and gym

OH - Take care with the rib

NP - Well done on the swim. Chin Up on the marathon front, I think a few of us can relate to how you're feeling!

-------------

Feeling a bit fragile after having too much to drink last night image so going to have a rest today. My left calf is a bit sore anyway.

Found out next years Lochaber marathon has been moved forward a week, so it should now be during my Easter holidaysimage 

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

(((OH)))

Hope the rib eases soon.

NN,

Hope you're not feeling fragile now.

Stuart,

That's great for you.  Hope that's the case.

----------

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

OH well done on the half, running into the wind is so difficult! I hope the rib gets better.

Stuart nice long run yesterday.

Stewart sounds like the legs needed a rest yesterday.image

NP good to take a little time to decide what to do. Don't blame you not wanting to do long runs in Egypt!! You were very unlucky the last twice - and in Dublin!!

Vey impressive stats Jason - to think my legs are tired with my low mileage!

Teknik a well deserved easy day. image

Nice intervals NN! image A good way to run off the over indulgence! A tough session on your own.

HM4 hope the decorating is finished?

8 miles easy for me tonight, feeling creaky.

F