2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• thanks Teknik, the 10 miler hill race is next Saturday....

unfortunately today's 20 miler became 13.8 as my left knee decided it didn't want to play. Could be related to the ongoing glute weakness there, so more work to be done in the gym ;-(

two or three weeks of lower mileage due to races, if I can get round them! - so some recovery hoped for.

Well done everyone who got out there and did something! Good recovery to those who didn't 'cos they're injured!

Off t'pub nowimage

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH sorry you didn't get to swim at The Gloup - nice picimage

IJ sorry I must have misread your post - hope the knee gets sorted quickly

Stuart thanks, I think you're right.  Well done on the 14 miler (and, having read your Fetch post, ouch!).  Nice week's total.image

---

The guys were kind enough to change their plans, and ran with me on the valley floor.  The route went over some parts of the Triathlon World Champs course, and next to a river that was really fast flowing after the rain we had last night and this morning.  Normal service resumed - 11.2m @ 8:29mm, avg. 72%maxHR.image

• NN good total for the week, hope the race has beena good one

Fiona well done on the 18 plus the weeks total, very impressive

Tek looks like you are enjoying it out there image

SM6 good and a nice weeks running

IC hope the knee improves

4 easy this morning, legs felt pretty good 44 m for me this week. 6 weeks of training left image
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

image Hi peeps a few days of over eating and drinkingimage You Scotts know how to drink image. Well back home and aiming to stay off any form of beer, wine or spirits.....

Some fantastic long runs and PB's by you lot which makes me feel like a new runner just starting out.....

Mace glad the operation went ok you should be about to start running again around now, but you have been very lucky not to have cut all the way through the tendon.

NN hope the foot is ok after all the F's,B's and anything elseimage

Fiona wow your putting in some miles again, glad your getting on well with the light shoes, I only wear mine for short stuff as not enough support for the longer runs.

Teknik looks like your having a great time the photos are very good.

OH great long running and your photo is fantastic no wonder you want to swim there.

AGF enjoy the break, we all need them from time to time.

Jim nice long running

MG1 great long run yesterday and upping the pace in the later part will help.

SM6 well done on the PB image

Well got out early and ran with my mate and did 9 miles, boy can I tell that the most weekly mileage for the past month has been around 25 miles, with lots of work and a holiday planned for next month and 18 days away in Nov/Dec not sure whats next, but I do need a plan and a goal to keep me moving forward....... But not sure what yet.

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

SM, well done with the parkrun PB image and a nice long run and totals for the week

MG, another cracking long run and 4 easy earlier

Fiona, well done with the hilly 18 

NN, hope the 10k went well for you today

Tek, don't blame you for bailing on running along the ridge, nice run along the valley today

OH, shame about the swim, 

IJ, probably a wise decision, hope you get the knee issue sorted

NP, I'm sure you will find something to motivate you, maybe a spring marathonimage

-------------------------------------------------

6 easy yesterday before cricket by the end of the day the legs felt a bit creaky, 20 miles today didn't get out until after 11 and boy it was hot, over 1500ft of elevation gain and the legs were feeling it especially on the last climb at mile 17.

Stats: 20.02mi, 3:45:53, 11:17mm, 145(76%)

weekly: 64.0mi, 11:19:15, 10:36mm 145(76%) highest weekly mileage image

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Teknik that ridge sounds really scary, I do not like heights! When skiing in Breckenridge (3,000m) I tried a treadmill run and was just about on my knees after 5 minutes!

Stuart good to get the mileage building up. image MG1 another good week's mileage from you too.

IJ hope the knee clears up.

NP once you get your next focus things will improve; there's nothing like a plan! image But for now looking forward to the holiday sounds good enough.

Great long run Stewart and another solid week. Did you start at the tourist info centre halfway up the A9?

At Knockhill all day today watching the touring cars - fantastic, loved the noise! Had to remember I wasn't in one when driving the Scooby home! image

F

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Fiona sounds like a fun day, I started at the expo houses just past the roundabout took it easy on the way down as I didn't want to wreck the legs too early

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

That ridge sounds scary.  When I was skiing I don't which I was more scared off the ridge top we started on or the black we skied down after because the ski run was a narrow path.  The views are awesome when you're on top of a ridge though.

------

Well done on everyone's training.  We were visiting relations near Clacton on Sea yesterday and they've got a cooking apple tree with more apples on than they can eat so the plan is to go blackberrying later on this morning then Chris will do the crumble & I'll make some sorbet.

• macemace ✭✭✭

NP - yep sounds like you need a target and yes i was lucky, lesson learned.

Stewart, MG, SM6 - great mileage

Tek - sod that !! You wouldn't have seen me for dust running from that ridge, sounds like a great hol though.

IJ - Good Luck with the knee

OH - shame to miss out, sounds cool

Nurse, Fiona - LOL @ the OCD, i normally run to miles but a couple weeks back i noticed on my run finish i was on 59:xx so went for bang on an hour. Imagine my horror to hit the hour spot on only to see 6.99M ... it only pissed me off for a couple of days image

HM - enjoy !!

A whopping 8M total for me last week and nor unning sine my accident on Weds. I posted my entry by hand last night for next Sunday's Thanet Half and was having a chat to the chap i gave it to. He asked suggested coming along to his club to have a try out so have been having a think about doing that.

• Gloup trip didn't go ahead yesterday
    (PlanB instead due to residual swell and mist:
    Copinsay - one of the nearby islands)
    so there may be another chance ...image

Weatherman promised 16/17C and sun today - what do we have - thick haar!
    Plan to run round Mull Head (Gloup peninsular) with Elspeth this morning.

mace OCD LOL hope recovery and club work out

StewartC -sounds tough

NP back on the wagon!image
    MG1 good steady training - remind me what you're training for

SM6 good 14

Qualifier: I like *walking* along airy ridges, running would be a very different proposition!

• NP good 9 yesterday, I am sure you will come up with a suitable challenge image

Stewart C great weeks mileage image

Fiona sounds like you enjoyed the cars - girl racerimage

HM prefer apple and blackberry crumble myself!

Mace hope the injuries are healing, you will be back out there !

OH have the Jersey M on the 6th of Oct

9 m longish tempo this morning @ 7.48 av , hr 149 av. Happy with that after adding a 5 m walk yesterday to the 4 easy run in the morning.
  • 5.6 miles in paths hidden by thick grass with Elspeth this morning - short but quite tough going

• thanks for the wors of encouragemet guys. i think the regular posting advice is pretty good - it will help tp keep me going. Gosh OH, that sea cave swim sounds fab - hope you get to do it sometme soon. Great pic teknik. still 6 miles to do ths evening - yay bank holiday monday means te early morning runs hve been stalled for today- and its nice and cool out so that should be fun.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

We've got enough blackberries to make apple & blackberry crumble & will be doing more blackberrying next weekend to make sorbet.

• Blister from yesterday (or rather the cut that it has left behind) is in a bloody awkward position so after a bit of deliberation I decided not to run this morning and went swimming instead.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

mace I hope the recovery continues. Also Stuart, good decision to let the blister heal a bit.

OH how is the rib? Sounds like a nice day, very mild and sunny here.image

MG1 nice tempo! That's a couple of good day's training.

HM4 image

Channon, how was the 6?

Shattered today after the long day yesterday, no stamina! Took the afternoon off to do my run or I'd probably not have managed it. 10 easy miles done.

F

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Mace, Good luck on Sunday and I hope the club works out for you

OH, nice run yesterday hope the rib is improving

MG, your training is coming along nicely, nice quick tempo run there

Channon, hope the 6 went well

HM, I'll pm my address yum yum

SM, hope the blister doesn't cause you to much greive

Fiona, nice ten on what seems very tired legs, hope you're recovered well for the club tonight

Tek, hope you're enjoying the mountain trails

-------------------------------------------

A run too and from the gym, I did some lower body weights followed by body balance, a nice way to start the week, which is what I needed the legs were still feeling a little creaky

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

MG good running - nice total for last week, and good tempo yesterday

NP nice 9 miler - hope you find something good to focus onimage

Stewart great running on the 20 miler - some big climbs in there, and very well done on the new weekly peak milesimage.  Good start to this week, too.

HM mmmm - apple and blackberry crumble is my favourite image

mace I didn't realise you weren't a club runner - do try them out, it's great to mix with other runners.

OH glad you might get another crack at the Gloupimage. Well done on the run in the long grassimage.  Glad that you all agree that ridge running is kind of scary...image

Channon how did the 6m go?

Stuart hope the foot is better today

Fiona well done on slogging out the 10m on tired limbs

NN how was the 10k?image

---

I flew home yesterday, and managed a short recovery run in the hot late afternoon sun. This morning was a 15m MLR - 6m on my own, then some with the club in the woods and through the park, then back on the tarmac for the run home. 

• Hi just realised I didnt post after Sundays 10k..thanks for prompt Tek.

48.43, which although a minute slower than the 10k I did 2 weeks ago I a actually pleased with as it does have some hills and finishes up hill !

It was Devon County 10k road race I did get gold there last year with a rather unspectacular time of 48.37..

I had a look round at the start and could nonly spot 1 woman who I thought ay beat me in age cat, and she has just got me in the last couple of off road races, but I was still treading carefully on the tendon those times, but she didnt know that and so really in her head had the upper hand.

She didnt see me (or at least I dont think so) start about 10/15 meters behind her, I thought I would just stay there and see how she was running, she shot off !! I thought she is either really on form or ..fingers crossed gone off too fast, a fairly undulating course finishing up hill so I knew I would have so save something.

After 2 miles there is a flat mile or so but a 2 lap course around a green, which is soul destroying when the leaders lap you impressive watching them glide so seemingly effortly past, a bit windy round there too as its right next to the beach and very open, I had lost my lady by now and was worried and lost it a bit, till 8k when I spotted her just 20 meters or so in front and I could see she was struggling with the hills, so now was my chance to see if all the hilly running I have been doing in place of speed/track work would pay off...and it did ...there was ME passing runners going uphill...unheard of in past years , my weakness had always been hills and I have been putting in some serious hill work lately.

Anyway I passed her and thought do I say ha ha got you or hello or what ? anyway I was feeling sick and decided to say nothing, she did pant well done Julie though. So with just 800 meters left up hill I gave everything I had and the last half mile seemed to go on forever, managed to overtake a couple more runners though so dead chuffed with run.

One thing though, I was only 2nd F50 !! the first in age group who I hadnt heard of managed to sneak under 46 mins.

Splis were

7.35..7 .47..7.35..7.50..7.55..8.01..1.58

ave hr 90% ( guess that means I was trying ? )image

legs still tired today, so pilates and just 5 easy miles

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Stewart,

Is it the sorbet recipes you're after?  If so I'll pm them to you at the weekend.

NN,

Well done.

-----------

Well done guys.

If anyone else wants the sorbet recipes then let me know.  Chris made the crumble & didn't use a receipe.  He just put 2 kilos of chopped & sliced apples with a covering of blackberries over it and 2 packets of crumble mix on top & cooked to the crumble mix times.

• great effort NN. 90% is definitely a good rate, good mile splits for a hilly route!

tried a steady run on the knee tonight, though lots of ibuprofen gel first! it held up pretty well, so race on tomorrowimage

• NN - Well done on the 10kimage Shame on 2nd place in the F50 cat. Believe it or not, the winning F50 time in my local 10k was 35:37imageimage

Tek - Nice 15 this morningimage

Stewart - A nice bit of training last night

Fiona - Good work on yesterdays 10 miles

----------

6.1 miles @10:00ave Ave HR 141.

Just a gentle plod, blister on right foot isn't causing any issuesimage

• NN well done on the 10 k really good effort on the tough hilly course

Tek nice going on the 15 after your weeks altitude work

Stewart good gym and run combo

SM6 nice easy one.

Steady 6 @ 8.39 ave, felt a bit tired after yesterdays effort
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Stewart good to see you tonight image I hope you had a good run. Nice cross training yesterday.

Teknik, so how is the running after the altitude training?! image

Great report NN and fab placing. image

Stuart, IJ good to see the niggles are not stopping you.

MG1 good running after a tough day.

Intervals for me tonight. Met one of the girls and ran down to the Bught. Can't believe I forgot to start the garmin but she had hers on. 3.25 miles warm up. Then another 8.75 miles with 8 lots of 90s/60s recovery. The first was a bit fast at 5.37mm pace but soon slowed that down! image A great session image just hope I get faster.....

F

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN great racing, and well done for beating your nemesis - yes, the HR shows you were trying hard !image

IJ glad the knee is ok, good luck racing today

Stuart nice low HR easy running

MG well done on the steady 6m

Fiona great speed session (5:37mm !image)

---

Well I was expecting some sea-change in pace/HR after the Alpine adventure, but sadly not...9m this morning at maraHR came out as 7:49mm.

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Tek, welcome back great running yesterday on your own and with the club

NN, great racing and report, congrats on the placing

IJ, hope the knee holds out good luck with the race today

SM, good news re the blister well done on the easy 6

MG, another good session, hope you're feeling recovered now

Fiona, another great session, all this speedwork will definetly make you faster

--------------------------------------------------------

2 mile run before JS and then took the 6 mile group, the legs still feel a little delicate, I was planning a MP run this evening but will see how I feel after I've warmed up

• macemace ✭✭✭

Nurse - that's an honest effort @ a hilly 90%, good racing.

Stewart - sounds like a nice recovery/easy is called for especially after a record week, listen to the body ...

Fiona - "no stamina" i doubt it, but turning into speedy gonzalez, nice intervals  image

Channon - hard to post when you're down but it does help

Tek - yes, and i think i need some company at times for mara training. Last winter was flippin hard on my own. You're improving steadily and noticeably fella with a while to go yet ... you're close to being in my predicament for Brighton where i improved so much that i got a headache thinking about 3:15 knowing i was within touching distance.

Well, after 5 days off ( i don't think i've had that many consecutive days for 18 mths ) i'm pleased to say i got out for an easy 5 yesterday and 6 this morning. Hand coped nicely then physio this morning and i''ll be in a splint for another 3 wks. He advised me not to run the half on Sunday in case i fall over ..... HELP!!!

• easy 4 miles nautical yesterday evening (rib less tolerant of kayaking than running - not really surprising).
    Rest today (on call whatever)
    Rousay Lap (HM) Saturday

FionaC good to get a 10 in despite being kna...ed and good intervals yesterday
    Good to see you back at near sea level Tek
    Good entertaining report NN
    mace good that your injury is allowing you to run again

SM6 StewartC MG1 all the 6s
    Just got number bibs for Langdale: Garmins are forbidden as "artificial aid" image
    (iPods etc have always been discouraged by "Rocket Rod" for this event)

• OH - That seems a bit oddimage

Stewart - Good run last night, hope the legs are ok tonight

Tek - I expect any improvements will take more than a few days to show, still a nice MP run.

Fiona - That looks a great speed session yesterdayimage

MG - Nice 6 miler

------------

3.5 mile recovery run tonight. Legs are feeling pretty beat up at the moment. Might try to push my MLR tomorrow out to 13 miles then have another recovery run Friday, parkrun Saturday then take Sunday and Monday as non-running days.

That's me finally over 1000 miles for the yearimage

• Argh! imageimage
    35 mph forecast for this Saturdays's Rousay Lap
    - that means first 4 miles and last mile should be ... er ... interesting!