2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Blackberry Cabernet Sorbet

ingredients

1 pound blackberries (fresh is best, frozen is OK)
    1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon lemon juice

directions

Puree the blackberries, then put the mixture through a sieve to remove the seeds.

Combine the strained berry juice, wine, sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan, and cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Freeze according to the directions for your ice cream freezer, or place in a shallow pan in the freezer. If your freezer is too warm to get the sorbet to harden, substitute water for a portion of the wine in your next batch.

Blackberry Sorbet

• Blackberry Sorbet
    • 450g blackberries
    • 150 ml water
    • 150 g sugar
    • Juice of 2½ lemons

A splash of something like crème de mûre (or I used damson gin) wouldn’t go amiss (a splash is 2 tablespoons)  -  (I don't use this)

Pick over the blackberries for bits of leaf, insects and other detritus, and give them a wash if you’re dubious about car fumes, dogs, etc and dry them.Put them in a non-reactive pan with the sugar and water and bring to the boil, simmering for 2-3 minutes until the fruit has started to release its juice.Allow to cool and then liquidise in a blender or food processor (or just push through a sieve).Strain to remove the seeds and debris.Allow to cool then add the alcohol and the lemon juice.Cover and chill.When cold, either pour into your ice cream machine or pour into a shallow plastic container and put in the freezer.Take it out every hour and break up the ice crystals formed around the edge with a fork until it’s the consistency of a Slush Puppy – about 4 stirrings – and then put it back in the freezer to firm up.Take it out about 20 mins before you want to eat.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

This link may help for the conversion from cups into uk measurements. http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/equiv.htm

• Fiona, awesome mileage and there has been some quick miles in there too, sounds like you've had another good long run, looks  like it is all shaping up nicely

Jason, another huge month and a very long hilly run well done

OH, don't worry about it I'm sure you'll do better in your next race

Tek, a cracking long run especially with the tough finish

IJ, nice MP run and mileage for the month, 

Mace, congrats on the PB, good that the hand was fine throughout

MG, nice weekly stats, you've had another good week 

SM, got to love GPS, well done on the easy run and I hope you enjoyed the game

NP, well done with the 10k good news that all is well and you've enjoyed it

HM, thanks for the recipes image

----------------------------------------------------------------

Today's run was in two parts firstly a 4 mile warm up and then the HM, it was meant to be 5 but I miscalculated the route and ended up a little short.  After registration we seen of the 170ish marathon runners and it was time to get bussed to the start a Gordonston School about 6 miles east of Elgin.

We started in blustry conditions and it was raining a little but it blew threw quickly, as this was a training run I decided to try and pace a fellow JS member was looking to get a sub 2 time, which was bang on for me.

The first 6 or 7 miles were uneventful and very easy due to the wind being at our back and we were making great progeress, but we knew we would have to run into the wind at some point.  with around four miles to go we turned into the beast and it was very tough and by mile 12 my running partner was suffering badly and the pace started to drop off into 10mm range, once out of the wind we managed to pick it up a little but unfortunetly we finished just over the 2hr mark, it was still a PB for her and she was quite delighted.

I'm feeling midly confident that I may get close to my goal target of sub 4 at the end of the month, and the run on the whole felt easy apart from some tighting up/pain around the piriformis it was all good

Stats 13.1mi, 2:00:53, 9:12mm

(No HR dat becuse I'm an idiot and forgot to snap on my HRMimage)

• Well done StewartC under tough conditions image

• A great PB mace, well worth getting a ticking off from the Fizz for that!! image

MG1 miles building up nicely there.

Teknik that was a great run, nicely progressive and sounds like a tough finish.

NP so happy that your niggle/injury seems to be on the mend (touches wood) and a very solid training run!

That's an interesting route Stuart!! image

Sounds nice HM4.

Stewart, cracking run and good on you for running with a fellow JS member, that was one tough wind! You are well on for sub 4. image Still a few weeks of training to go.

Jason I hope the legs are ok today?

F

• Stewart - Good running yesterday, it's always nice to pace someone to a new PBimage You're looking good for Nessie now! Can't believe it's only 4 weeks away, wish I was doing it too!

NP - Nice time considering you had no real expectation for the race. I'm sure the pace will reappear very soonimage

-----------

13.1 miles in 2:05 for me this afternoon.

HR was a bit high but likely just down to my lack of proper sleep this weekend. 38.1 miles for the week, going to push toward 48 this week if I can run every day.

• 5 mile trail race yesterday 35:27 very pleased unfortunately no 0/70 prize just o65+ so happy with 3rd place.

• MG nice easy run yesterday, and good total for the week

Mace yep I definitely don't use it racing !

Stuart LoL at the teashop routeimage, and well done on today's 13.1m

NP good 10k result and great news on the hipimage

HM thanks for the recipes - am going to give one a go tonightimage

Stewart great running - it's always a great feeling getting a club-mate round, and that run bodes well for Nessieimage

Mel great result ! image Well done

---

Just a 3m recovery for me this morning.  Legs are still suffering from yesterday's LR, so I'm binning the treddie intervals tonight... 

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

I'd go for the first one as that goes straight in the freezer.  The other needs to be taken out & stired.

Stewart,

Excellent well done to you both.

------------

Well done on everyone's races & training.

• Stewart well done on your run yesterday, good on you for helping your pal get a pb image

SM6 nice 13 earlier, hope you have a good week

Mel well done on your race and result yesterday

Tek nice little 3 enjoy the night off

10 m for me @ 8.04 av, started fairly steadily for the first 3 then pushed the pace to finish with a 7.37 final m. Legs feel a bit flat but hope to get out early in the morning for a easier run.
  • A tough run for a Monday MG1.

Great result Mel!

Teknik wise decision if the legs not 100%

A nice Monday half marathon Stuart!

5 easy miles for me tonight. Tried the Kayanos again but both arches feeling as if any further and I'd have had blisters. So weird as I wore them for years but now it seems it's just the Fastwitches that I can wear and they are racing shoes...not the best off road.

F

• rest day, lots of junk food and sitting around while watching crap on tv. Now for an early night! back to proper running tomorrow!

• SM, good run today and totals for the week, and yes it is a shame you're not doing Loch Ness,

Mel, well done got to be happy with that 

Tek, good to see you're listening to the body

HM, thanks

MG,  another good run, enjoy the easy run tomorrow

Fiona, well done on the 5 earlier very strange that your Kayanos have started to be a problem

-------------------------------------------------

Easy three this evening running around the cricket field while a few of the lads were making use of the bowling machine, going to organise a sports massage hopefully that will help sort out the tightness around my glute/hip

• Stewart the cricket field run sounds good nice to run on a bit grass and cushioning, not sure about facing the bowling machine at 80 mph !

Fiona the shoe problem sounds a bit strange , just order a second pair of ghost 6 direct with brooks after getting a discount code so saving ??27 off the retail price image

6 m first thing at 9 mm, great conditions, no wind and cool temps image
  • HM it worked a treatimage (the easy one)

MG nice pace on the 10 miler, and well done on the early morning recovery.  What's the discount code - I need some new Ghosts too...? image

Fiona nice easy 5m last night - hope your feet are not too sore this morningimage

IJ glad you enjoyed the rest day !

Stewart well done on the easy 3m last night - "enjoy" the sports massage...

---

Hot and humid here.  I had a bad night's sleep, and had to slog out the MLR this morning - HR all over the place but managed to get the 14.18m done.

• Tek no probs on the code, am away from home tonight so will sort when I get back tomorrow but got it from the news letter they emailed me last week.
  • There are some really good training performances the last few weeks. Would like to have commented to each one of you individually but would take too much time. To all of you doing Nessie I will be thinking of you as I do Chester

• HM4 sounds nice but far to much suger in it for me.

SC well done on the half marathon and running with your friend for a PB for her, all looks good for that sub 4. image Hope the massage sorts out the pain in the butt.

SM6 nice long run and a nice target to aim for.

Mel great running sir.

Fiona more great running by you, funny how the feet can change shape over a period of time, or get used to a type of shoe.

Jim hope you got out today.

MG1 nice early morning run.

Teknik, well done on the MLR some times it's a grind but well done for sticking with it.

Well spent yesterday digging and then had a massage and just ached all over today so two days of no running, will get up early and do 6 in the morning.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Excellent.  You don't have to use the wine they specify.  It works well with most reds.

NP,

I don't have a sweet tooth & you can't taste the sugar, however I can understand if there's a dietary requirement.

---------------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Stewart how are the niggles? Didn't see you tonight, Mike's group passed us (we were running on the Parkrun course).

MG1 sounds like a nice run this morning - and a bargain purchase! image

Well done Teknik for toughing out the run, some fast bits in the middle!

Sounds like you did more than enough yesterday NP! Hope you feel the benefit of the massage tomorrow.

Fastwitches on both runs today - even on the grass - and felt great. 5 miles easy this morning, it was very mild even at 6am. Then intervals tonight on the grass; 4 minutes fast then 5 recovery. It felt tough as I was pushing it but also felt fairly strong throughout and didn't fade at the end. image So much easier than the 90 second reps last Tuesday!! The long recoveries must have helped.

F

• MG, nice recovery 6 from you, I'm finding it difficult to find Ronin 4s in my size now, and the 5s look totally different, I'm also a little worried about changing to another brand,

Tek, still a good run, and the majority was still sub 70%

NP, hope the massage did the trick enjoy your run today

Fiona, I was out last night took the group up through the woods beside Holm burn, well done on another great interval session, you'll be a speed deamon in no time image

---------------------------------------------------------------

JS sandwhich last night so just over 8 miles in total for the night, I still have the tightness in the glute, but it was manageable and I'm doing plenty of stretching and rolling with a rubber ball, I've got an appointment for Tuesday next week so hopefully that will help  sort it out.

• macemace ✭✭✭

Nice session Fiona

I remember some of them midweek MLR's and having to guts them out, Tek. Good work.

Good luck Stewart, do you have a foam roller ? I'd recommend one if you haven't already.

• MG thanks !image

Mel only a couple of weeks' hard work, then taper !

NP nice digging - hope you got out this morningimage

HM we just chucked in whatever plonk was left overimage

Fiona nice double with a great interval session !image

Stewart well done on the 8m last night.  Hope the glute is easier ...image

Mace thanksimage

----

1m warm up then 10m at maraHR. Felt good most of the way, breathing much better, and very pleased with the result - 7:44mm, so progress at last.image

• Tek - Good to see the pace increasingimage Still plenty of time for more improvement tooimage

Stewart - Nice total last night. Hope the glute gets sorted.

----------

12.16 miles @ 9:42

Turns out, this is Wednesday, not Thursday so I've went and done tomorrows run tonight. D'oh.image Nevermind, didn't sleep great and most of the 1st 5.5 miles were uphill into a relatively decent breeze so pretty tough going. Should really have stayed out for another few minutes to drag the run over 20km...

I seem to have done as many 12 mile runs in the last 3 days as I did in the run upto my last half marathonimage

• MG1 nice running.

Fiona sounds like you enjoyed both your sessions today, great runningimage

SC nice running, keep at the stretching.image

Teknik nice MP running and more miles in the bank.image

SM6 Nice tomorrows runningimage more miles into the bankimage

Well up and out just after 8am for a steady 6 miles, felt good and had plenty of bounce for laying bricks for the rest of the dayimage will get another 6 in tomorrow. Trying to get a lot of work done before Monday then it's two weeks running/diving and swimmingimage.

• Mace, I've got a roller and I use it a lot, but it doesn't get at this niggle quite like a small ball does

Tek, cracking pace quicker than my VO2Max run tonight, looks like it going to be a sub 3:30 marathon in October

SM, Nice run this evening, and you picked the pace up at the end nicely

NP, nice run earlier, and a fun fortnight to look forward too

-----------------------------------------------------------

Interval session tonight, around the Harrier's 1 mile loop beside Queens Park running track, found it hard the legs were feeling heavy and the last interval was tough, glad this one is over 

Pace for the Intervals: 7:52mm, 7:47mm, 7:48mm, 7:48mm

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Sounds good to meimage !

-----------

Well done on everyone's training.

I've had fairly stressful day which resulted in keeping Chris company after his head gasket failed on his car on the A3M.  Thankfully he managed to pull into the slip road for the country park so he didn't hold everyone up else I would have been stuck in that tail back.  I also lost my purse & didn't even know until a neighbour found it & returned it to me.  The only good thing to happen was the person who is due to look after the cat while we're up in York for the wedding came round to meet to meet her.

• A good run last night Stewart and well done on the intervals tonight, a very nice consistent pace. image

10 miles at MP is a quality run Teknik, as Stuart says still loads of time!

Stuart another nice 12 mile run, something easier for Wednesday? (tomorrow!) image 

NP sounds like a good run! Very envious of your 2 weeks away. image Still time for a run up your hill before then?

HM4 I hope your cat approved of her servant!

16 miles easy tonight for me. My miles will be all over the place this week as off to Nottingham on Friday (work related). Was going to do my 20m at 6am on Friday but advised not to. Taking Monday off work so will do it then but means I'll not have a long run this week and 2 next week! image Will just have to average the 2 weeks. Trainers will be packed but will not manage any long runs when away. image

F

• Tek nice quick run earlier , discount code from Brooks as follows -RunHappyNews2013uk .

You Need to go onto their website and apply the code during the order process. Really like then Ghost 6

Stewart well done on the 8 and intervals , rolling and stretching will do the trick, plus the

SM6 good one earlier even if it should have been tomorrow image

4 m tempo along the canal path course as last week, av mile pace @ 7.22 which is allot slower than last week - note to oneself :

Don't expect to run quickly on 5 hours sleep and 8 beers the night beforeimage
  • MG - Good running. I find little sleep and a good drink helps me at parkrun on a Saturdayimage

Fiona - Nice quick 16image

Stewart - Nice interval session. Might do something similar on Saturday since I'm helping at parkrun and not running.

NP - Good running and a nice bit of cross-training thereimage