2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Pleasant afternoon kayaking in the sun here with a little excitement in the tide race rounding Barth Headimage

Well done on the 20 StewartC!image

Well done on the 5th 20 Tek!image

SM6 Yep Snowdon is main target but also have Langdale (half) in 2 weeks. Hope to do a LSR tomorrow too (so I'll be virtually running with you)

• MG - Good total for week. Is it one more long run then taper time? I have a 95.09 HM from March, but I ran poorly so would like to think I can take a few minutes from that.

• Kaz nice long run.

SC well done on your last 20image

Teknik well done on your 5th and breaking last years milageimage

Everyone is going well or getting back in to it, spent the last couple of days finishing stuff off anf getting rady for my holidays and took two rest days, will run tomorrow morning then its holidays. Will try and check in whilst away.

• Well done on the 20 milers Teknik and Stewart (must check out your route Stewart).

OH sounds like you had a nice afternoon, I'll be LSRing tomorrow too. image

MG1 impressive long run with MP!

Stuart I know the feeling with the weather - happened with me when I arrived in Nottingham. Got drenched. Back to the room, showered and turned the place upside down looking for a hair dryer - silly me, university halls. Drowned rat look at the champagne reception. image.

Welcome back kaz.

AGF when I did Berlin I managed 26 miles between the start of August and the day as injured. Stopped at every water stop (cups) and although the time was my worst ever it was actually ok!! You might surprise yourself!

Hope Millie had a nice weekend too HM4. Beanie was happy to see me back.

NP is it tomorrow that you head to the sun? image Have a great time! image 

Had a couple of nice runs in the park (thanks AGF) and did try reps but due to eating too large a lunch had to stop and jog as felt image and I'd have scared the happy families if I had carried on. Not a great mileage week but should not have any more major schedule changes in the next 6 weeks (touches wood).

F

• SM, nice 4 earlier, enjoy the long run tomorrow, a couple of fast long tempos may help you decide on HMP 

MG nice totals for the week one more hard week 

NP, enjoy your holiday fortnight, 

Fiona, it was meant to be similar route you did a few weeks ago, however I missed a turning and ended up at Tornagriain, well done getting some runs done must be hard when your away with work,

• Stewart the turning is when you run down the hill, trees on both sides then the first set of cottages on the left has a gate across the woods road. It is difficult to see, probably easier if you go from the woods direction first and find yourself on the road! That's a hilly run, especially tiring at the end. Were you parked at the battlefield?

F

• Yes, I parked up there and ran down to the viaduct and up that hill, boy it is steep, it was a lovely morning here too, blue skies but not hot almost perfect, I've never done a run out that way, cracking views too image

• SM6 yes going to do a 20 m next saturday, then something like 16 , 12 then race day.

Your half M time is what i would like to get close too, have the birmingham half two weeks after jersey, just hope the legs give me a chance to have a go, but may be a big ask, my half pb is 1.40 from last october so I hope there is some improvement to come.
  • OH - I am doing Berlin on the 29th. Hoping to do Paris again but it is all depending on getting the Monday off work.

One day into the taper and I get the sick bug, maybe that is why Saturdays LSR was so tough! 

• MG - you run your long runs faster than me = and I managed to dip under 1:30 - so imagine thats the type of target you should look for after a few weeks of speedwork !!

• macemace ✭✭✭

AGF- that sounds promising and was very sensibke running. Pleased you seem to have turned the corner.

Excellent 20 milers Tek, Stewart and good to see everyone closing in nicely on their marathons image

Had a fizz appointmnent Friday ( the one who told me not to do the HM last weekend ) and his first questiion was did i go to the race or couldn't i watch it. My answer was simply " Oh, i couldn't watch it ..." My wife told me off after for telling porkies unil i pointed out i wasn't telling porkies, i just didn't offer any more info than he asked for image 

• 17.5 miles done in warm (17C) sunny weather, followed by unplanned "cool down" swim to end of pier. image
    Lovely views over Rousay and Gairsay.
    Sounds like we're having better weather than England for onceimage

mace "Oh, i couldn't watch it" LOL imageimage

Kaz - at least the tummy bug came after the LSR!

• OH - Nice long run today in warm conditions. Cool down swim does sound a good idea image

Mace - Haha, well playedimage

MG - You'll smash 1:40 to pieces. You'd probably be very close to 1:30, although maybe not 2 weeks after a marathon!

Stewart - I don't really fancy doing any tempo runs to be honest! And to be fair, they are a poor indicator for me. I remember the week before I ran 95.17 (7:16 ave I think?) at Alloa last year, I struggled to run 5 miles at 7:35 pace on my own. I'll see how optimistic I feel on the day, I have 2 times I'm looking at.

Fiona - Hahaimage That wouldn't have been a nice sight!

NP - Enjoy the holidaysimage

--------------

16 miles - 2:37

Pretty slow, but that does include a toilet break early on as well as about 1000ft of ascent. Quite hard towards the end which isn't surprising as I haven't ran over 14 miles since the Lochaber marathon in April!

• Stewart well done on the final, hilly 20, and great stats for the week

HM hope you manage to get a few runs in

Stuart nice recovery plod and well done on today's hilly long run

MG nice steady 5m, and well done on the 43m for the week

OH nice kayaking and well done on the long run today

NP enjoy your holiday !image

Kaz hope you shake that bug quicklyimage

mace LOLimage

AGF hope you're ok after yesterday's 10k

---

Nothing much here - 3m recovery this morning, then CBAd (again) on the intervals planned for tonight...now off for a beerimage

• 1st beer at 1740 ish ? expecting another hangover fueled run from Tek tomorrow thenimage

SM6 - well done - mine was much slower (but wasn't wanting to chance my ankle with HM in 12 days time!) Wind down time for me now until after Langdale ...

Fiona_C Elspeth has thick hair (and always faffs about getting it dry) but always looks lovely to me (and suspect you did too)

• That sure is a steep hill Stewart, well done for doing it, I usually wimp out and go past Clava Cairns as it feels easier!

mace image very selective! Makes sense tho'!

OH it was nice and sunny here too in the morning then the heavens opened in the afternoon! Thanks for the kind words. image

Sounds like a tough run Stuart, lots of uphill! I actually find the downhill tougher in an odd way.

Teknik I'm sure the beer and break from intervals will do you good.

Took today off to recover after the weekend and did my long run. A nice easy 22m, some hilly bits but one long downhill into Inverness which the legs were not too happy with. They did not seem to appreciate running less last week. Set off with the gloves and arm warmers on but the sun soon came out. image Another nice route Stewart, views maybe not as nice as the Galcantray run but a change of scenery. 

F

• MG, LSR miles look about the same for me just not so sure about the other runs through the week

Kaz, hope you're feeling better soon

Mace, lol you should go into politics image

OH, cracking long run and cool down

SM, yes I agree it can be hard to hit those paces in training, nice long run today 13.1 will be a breeze for you

Tek, nice recovery run earlier hope the cold one went down well

------------------------------------------------------

Easy 3 mile run with my son, he hasn't really done any running before and did well for his first outing, two lessons he has learnt tonight

1. Don't go off too fast, sub 9mm

2.Don't eat a sandwich 10 minutes before a run

Stats: 3.69mi, 38;46, 10:30mm, avgHR127(67%)

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done on everyone's training.

• Kaz hope the lurgy has cleared up

AGF 1.35 is doable but close 1.30 maybe too much after Jersey, did do a good bit speed work earlier though

Mace good answer image

OH nice run earlier, the weather this evening was more like April than September, first time since the spring that i had to put a top on after running to keep warmimage

Fiona well done on the 22 m, good stuff, legs will soon do as there toldimage

SM6 nice 16, the hill work sounds pretty tough , will be very happy to break 1.35 but even happier with a M pb two weeks before.

Tek enjoy the beer and the r&r

Stewart good running with your boy image hope he enjoyed it .

9 m tempo for me in 1.09.40 @ 7.44 av. Quickest I have ran this route in training, felt ok appart from the windy bits . Easier run planned for tomorrow
  • great running as usual folks, great inspirational descriptions! yay!

Thursday's 3 mile recovery run hurt like hell, Friday was a rest, Saturday was a 15 hour and 400 mile round trip (car/tube) to London and Maidenhead and back to Lincoln. Blooming knackered when I got home at 11.30pm!

Sunday's race was great, 45:31, so a PB by 14 or so seconds. Poorly run, far too fast to start, and my mind wasn't all there. But that's because we were 2 seconds away from being killed on the way there: a car coming the other way missed a corner, hit a fence then a brick wall and flew 4 feet or so upwards as it stopped barely 30 feet away from us (as our driver stopped rather suddenly!). All in slow motion and with an enormous shot of adrenalin as we contemplated being splatted by a one tonne block of steel. Luckily it didn't roll and the driver just climbed out the car and walked off to chat to the bloke who's wall he hit. The side of his car was absolutely squished and he walked. Amazing! probably collapsed once they got him to hospital for a checkup!

Remember folks, always pay attention to the road!!!!!!!!

• Yes, I'm still alive!image

OH- hope the ankle is getting better. Sea kayaking in the sun sounds pretty fab to meimage

SM6- hope that achilles is on the mend...

AGF- glas you're getting back on track. Well done on the 10kimage

Tek and Stewart- well done both on getting the final 20 miler doneimage

NP- enjoy ANOTHER holidayimage

Kaz- hope the bug didn't amount to much. Taper madness beckons....

IJ- well done on both the PB and survival!!!image

As for me, been really busy at work as I am covering as Head of Year at the moment and always busy at the start of a new year. Missed a couple of sessions, but not too many... Ran a recce route for the Beacons ultra week last Sunday- supposed to be 23m of hills and largely offroad, but a few wrong turns made it 26.5m!!! Took most of the week to recover fully (amidst 5k pace sessions...). Last Sunday was only 16m, but seemed more- lol!

• 12x 400@ 5k pace with 200 recoveries planned for tonight. Think the rest of the week will be fairly easy as I have got Lake Vyrnwy half on Sunday, which I want to run fairly fresh to see where I am at....or not....

Oh, decided to ditch the Beacons Ultra! Too close to Chester and Snowdon really. Gone instead for a 50k round Newcastle Racecourse in December. First race that I will have flown to!image

• OH LoLimage

Fiona fantastic 22 miler image

Stewart nice run with juniorimage

HM thanks

MG well done on the long tempo run

IJ well done on the 10k PB after the near death experienceimageimage

Jason welcome back.  Nice set of intervals, and sensible decision to go for a later Ultra.  My mara is 7 weeks to go, so still 4 more 20+ runs to doimage

---

12m MLR for me this morning, 6m on my own then 6m with the club in the woods and around the park.  Kept (mostly!) to a 75%max ceiling, and very happy with the 8:14mm avg.paceimage

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

IJ,

Blimely that sounds eventful.  Glad you're okay.

------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Tek - Nice running this morning image

Jason - Enjoy the intervals tonight!

IJ - Well done on the PB, not sure I'd have been fit to run after that!

MG - Good tempo run yesterday. I don't think you have anything to worrying about setting a new mara PB in a few weeksimage

Stewart - Good run with your sonimage

Fiona - That was another fantastic long runimage

-------------

4.6 miles recovery tonight. Legs very very heavy. Need 2 longer runs tomorrow and Thursday, so I can have a non-running day on Friday. So maybe 8 & 12.

• SM6- sounds like a rest is in order...

Tek- plenty of long runs left then!image Well done on tonight's run.

The intervals actually felt pretty comfortable tonight, both in pace and distance image Must be progress....

• IJ nice pb, could have been worse

Jason, nice interval running

Tek well dome earlier on the 12

SM6 hope the legs feel better tomorrow

6 m tonight, 1 m warm up then 5 m at M goal pace, legs good after last nights long tempo, short tempo for tomorrow planned
  • Good tempo running MG1 and also MP running, lots of quality! image

IJ well done on the PB, not surprised with all that adrenaline!!

Jason I was wondering where you were! Progress indeed - impressive intervals off such short recoveries, very consistent.

Well done on the MLR Teknik, nice pace for a low HR.

Stuart I hope the legs feel better for the longer runs coming up.

Interval work for me tonight, 5 minutes with 6 min recoveries. Great fun as a large group of us tonight. The second interval involved two railway crossings and 2 canal crossings (across the locks not in the water!!) and the fourth interval was crossing the main bridge in town (a tiny delay as I darted across) - both 6:23mm pace - but no excuse for the last interval which was 6:28mm pace. Legs just decided they were going to go slow. image Never mind at least it's done! Easy day tomorrow. 

F

• hill figure of eights tonight, which made it a short run (4.65 miles) but some hard work midway! knee just about held out, so I'll try a LSR tomorrow (anything from 5 to 20 miles will do!)

• MG, a good sign that that was you're quickest tempo on that route, and a good MP run last night too

Jason, a great set of 400's

Tek, another good session good pace for such a low HR

SM, listen to the body mate, hope the legs are feeling a bit fresher today

Fiona, a cracking interval session with your group, getting some speed into those legs now

IJ, glad you're still with us, well done with the PB and the hill work

----------------------------------------------------------------

Easy 4 last night with JS, planning either an interval session 3 x 1mi or a MP run will decide later