2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

He thinks he knows what's wrong with it, but had chance to resolve it yet & a mobile mechanic is looking at it next Wednesday.  So if he's sorted the problem himself next Wednesday should just be about putting it onto the computer, clearing the fault codes & making sure nothing else is wrong with it.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Tek- awesome result given the heat! Sure you will knock another chunk off in better conditionsimage

• A good race that Stewart. Nice report and well done with the Pb.

tek, an excellent race report and very honest too. Fully understand the highs and lows of your race and your thoughTs. Here's to a good recovery.... Have you thought through future goals?

a decent 10 hilly miles tonight. A couple more runs this week and then off to India for a week with work... Hope to do a few treaddie runs but will use it as rest before the next marathon season starts in earnest image

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Hope you have a good safe trip AGF. Are you doing a long marathon build up?

Good luck with the car HM4!

Tried a run tonight. Forgot the garmin (!) but ran with someone to hold me back. Probably managed 2 miles in total. Felt it about half a mile before the end so stopped well before any sort of pain.

Stewart I was looking out for you as we ran past the archive centre and the various js groups were just leaving. Didn't see you though.

F

• Look after yourself Fiona...I can tell your climbing walls !!

tthanks for safe comments....plan for Manchester will be 16 weeks... Just need to build up slowly to be ready to start without being 8lbs overweight image

• MG, nice 9 miler, unfortunetly it is time for all the hi-viz gear, I would recommend a headtorch for safety and it does open up potential routes you wouldn't normally do at this time of year

Tek, hope you are recovering well,

AGF, you're base building is going well, nice hilly10 yesterday, have you got a training plan in mind for Manchester?, enjoy the trip to India hopefully they don't work you too hard over there

Fiona, take it easy on that calf of yours, would hate to see you prolonging the recovery, I was in the three mile group last night needed to finish sharp Glo needed to get to work by 8:30

------------------------------------------------

Two miles before JS followed by three with the group, the group run was slow but didn't mind too much, will look to do a short tempo run tonight

• Mace, the streak is still alive! I've been told I can't count my "new" 30k time though as it was a chipped split time at the marathon. Just means I'll have to take that 24 mins off later! I think the official streak is now 18 races, with 20 PBs for the year, and over 9 distances.

5k, 5 miles, 10k, 8 miles, 10 miles, 1/2 marathon, 30k, 20 miles, marathon.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

AGF that sounds like a good plan. image Cut back to one slice of toast at lunchtimes here as no running = less food. image

Stewart it was a nice night for a run last night. Eddies half at the weekend for you? Last thing I want is any setback and I was pretty disappointed to feel it last night as I honestly thought it would be back to normal.

F

• IJ, Impressive stats for the year, do you have any more races lined up 

Fiona, yeah Eddies this weekend, hoping I can maintain 8:15mm for the duration which will give me a sub 1:50 with a little change, as long as it is not blowing a gale I might just manage it

• good report OH!

Stewart, my next race might be the Leeds Abbey Dash 10k in 3 weeks, but not decided whether to do it yet. Could well be a half the week later, then maybe a 50k. My only certain entry atm is Bolsover on 15h December.

• OH - Nice race reportimage

Stewart - Good luck for Sunday, you'll have a good shot at 1:50 on that courseimage Good race report too

IJ - That's an impressive PB streak. I think I've managed something like 6 PBs from 30 races this year. It'll only get worse as I can't PB over 5k at my local parkrun, my course best is 64 seconds off my PB...

AGF - Enjoy India, even if it just is for workimage Nice run yesterday

Fiona - Take care.

MG - Good running, think I might need to invest in a headtorch too

Tek - Good race report well done. Shame things went pear shaped towards the end, it's still a very good new PB and it'll come down another chunk in the springimage

Jason - Wish I could plod round easily in 3.52image Well done.

---------------

Getting back into the swing of things this week. Ran the last 3 days. 6 on Monday 2x4k with gym inbetween yesterday and 4.6 miles tonight. HR coming down and things are feeling easier. 

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Fiona,

Thanks.  His car is proving to be a real distraction at the mo.  Still once it's all sorted it should more or less perfect.

OH,

Great report.  Well done.

• AGF well done on the hilly 10, what spring M are doing next year?

OH good report sir

Stewart C hope your tempo was easier than mine

IJ impressive run of PBs

SM6 good set of runs, sounds like you are getting back into it, whats your race plans ?

5 windy miles tonight @ 7.30 which wasn't much fun, pushed the pace after a steady 1 m warm up. Tempo runs back into training schedule againimage
  • OH, I enjoyed reading your race report, well done once again, and I know you'll be back for more next year image

IJ, sounds like you're going to be busy over the coming months

SM, glad to hear the running is feeling a little easier, hopefully you be in fine fettle for your 10k in a couple of weeks

MG, I find the tempo runs really tough at least with intervals you get a break image

-----------------------------------------------------------

just over 5 miles tonight 2 mile warm up and 2 at tempo, 8:13, 8:14 the 2nd mile I was daydreaming a little and the pace was around 8:20 with 400 to go so I had to pick it up a little to get it back on track, 

• decided to rest a few days, so have told the club I won't be running tonight or on Sunday's LSR. I'll still do some work at the gym, just not running. Hopefully this will allow my calf to finish healing (it's not too bad now, but did still hurt for 1/2 mile or so on Tuesday) and will also allow me to get my energy levels back up a tad more after a pretty long streak of marathon training!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

MG & Stewart,

Well done.

IJ,

Sounds sensible.

• Stewart - That was a good wee run yesterday, hopefully all goes well on Sunday

MG - Nice tempo run. I've got a couple of races this month (10k and 5 miles) then it's back into marathon training for April.

-----------

10.6 miles @ 10:25 ave.

Only planned to do 7, but took advantage of the fact it wasn't raining to add in another few miles. Felt ok, but then again it was very slow.

• IJ, a wise decision, rest up and come back stronger

SM, nice run earlier good to make the most of the calm weather while we have it

Hope everyone else is well image

-------------------------------------------

4 mile JS run tonight first two on the flat then part of the third up hill and then downhill to the centre, kept it comfotable and push it a little on the hill.

• woke up even more tired this morning, couldn't get out of bed! ha ha ha!

• 4.6 miles @10:10 tonight. Easy peasy.

Parkrun tomorrow, this will be the deciding factor in whether or not I do my planned 10k next week. Assuming I'm not (too)hungover, I'll be aiming for low 21s. If I can't manage that I'll save myself for the 5 mile race at the end of the month.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

• SM, enjoy parkrun tomorrow hope you get the time you're after

IJ, I think you've earned a CNBA day

----------------------------------------------

Easy 4 mile in the wind and rain, I bet it won't be the last either

• macemace ✭✭✭

Good to see you getting back to it, Stuart

AGF - i need to shift a few pounds, sure it'll start coming off with the miles. Good luck at Manchester

MG - Nice tempo work

Stewart - there'll be plenty more of them windy/rainy ones over the winter. I think i'm going to join the gym and one reason is that the P&D tempos/v02 intervals are a sod trying to plan around the wind. Not a fan of treadmills but i may give them the occasional go this winter especially when the wind gets up

Tek - hope your recovery is going ok

Fiona - any news on the calf ?

NP - and your hip, hope you're resting it ?

HM, OH, Jim, jason - hope you're all ok

Still base building here and have avearged 45 a week over the last 4 weeks now, all easy running and no speed at all. The niggles i was starting to feel at the end of the summer are a distant memory

I'm also fitting the miles into 5 days instead of 6 so running slightly longer but getting an extra day rest which is working nicely.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

No running here....'flu image

/members/images/681851/Gallery/frankfurt_2013.jpg

• Tek - Nice picimage Get well soon!

Mace - Nice totals for the last few weeks. Good that your niggle free tooimage

Stewart - Nice run in poor conditions. It's been really windy here (and foecast for heavy rain) but I seem to have missed all the wet stuff this week other than 10 minutes on Wednesdayimage Good luck for the half tomorrowimage

---------------

8.3 miles inc/ 21:35 parkrun. Hmmm, that doesn't help me decide what to do next weekendimage Saying that, I feel I'm getting quicker but have very little stamina. I was starting to struggle before half way.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

oops nearly forgot...good luck Stewartimage

Mace nice build-upimage

Stuart glad you're feeling a bit better...

Weekend Racers

03/11/13      Fort William Half              Stewart C

• Nice Base Mace.....good to start the campaign. 40 odd miles the last couple of weeks here too image

Nice Photo Nik, hope you start to feel better.

Well done on the parkrun Stuart. Best of lunch with whatever you decide...

Well 15 miles yesterday as a step towards running long again. Went fine. Today I am on a plane for most the day an tomorrow I land in Bangalore in Diwalli...... Spend tomorroceleb fling celebrating the festival with the family of one of my team and then 5 days of business before returning .... Luckily the hotel has a gym with plenty of treadmills, so I plan 4x1hr runs during the trip image

• Well done on the parkrun Stuart.

Good luck at Eddies tomorrow Stewart, I hope the weather is ok.

mace great news that base building going well and niggles are all gone. Physio yesterday and all going to plan. The tightness I've been feeling is normal 2-3 weeks out but still no proper running allowed. Just back from an hour in the gym - rowing (blisters on hands now) AMT and cross trainer. First time on the cross trainer and surprised I lasted beyond the first 10 seconds, not too exciting! Back to the turbo this afternoon and told I can run 1 minute walk 1 minute for 15 minutes in total.

Get well soon Teknik, great photo!

AGF good to hear you can run when in India and 15 is a good long run at this stage.

F

• Mace looks like you have made a really solid start, good mileage already

Tek nice photo hope you shake off the flu and recover quickly

SM6 well done on your 8.3/parkrun

Stewart good luck onnthe half

AGF nice work yesterday , have a great trip.

Fiona sounds like your making some progressimage

16 m @ 8.31 , windy conditions again looking forward to the cold frosty mornings, aiming to keep a bit of intensity then start to build milage after xmas. It seems a long time to train to the end of May.