2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Mace, sounds like good plan, the LT paces are tough to hit in my opinion 

Tek, a good way to get the miles in with a run to work and well done with the muddy club run today

SM, sounds like a tough run yesterday, hope parkrun has gone well today

Fiona, great news that you are now free to run, and we missed the rain,

HM, never mind hope you both enjoyed your evening

MG, another good long run, enjoy the enforced rest days image

--------------------------------

easy 4 last night around the river and a 6 mile run this morning, the temps have dropped over the last few days, time for the hat and gloves, still not cold enough for the running tights

• Wish I could oversleep HM4, always waken same time regardless. image

Teknik nice running and great to get all the congrats!

MG1 nice long run to get before going away.

AGF great to see you back. The legs will appreciate the rest. Me and you both on the healthy plan! Trying hard not to have chocolate this weekend! image

Stewart, running tights for me, it's chilly! Are you doing any of the Glenmoray races or Knockfarrel hill race this weekend?

Body balance last night, legs trashed from weights on Thursday (did more squats than usual) then 3.5 miles this morning! image All ok so advised not to run later but to save it for tomorrow. Very unfit but very happy.

F

• On cal;l this weekend but still got out for short sea swim this morning image

Welcome back AGF
    Glad you're on the go again Fiona
    It's more complicated than that, You too Tek

• Fiona, missed body balance last night had to pick up the better half from her work, I'm not doing either my right calf is tight and a bit niggly, strange it doesn't hurt while running but it is a bit achy walking around, going to get the foam roller on it, suspect NN is right about the kinevra's, 4mm drop might be too much for me image  well done with the short run and don't worry about the fitness it will return in no time image

OH, you're brave sea must be a bit chilly

AGF, welcome back missed your post earlier

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Stewart,

We did.  Thanks.

------

Well done guys.  Hoping to get out for 3 miles tomorrow.

• Stewart - Nice couple of runs. It is really starting to get cold here too. Ground was pretty frosty in places when I ran home from the gym tonight.

AGF - I'm sure the rest will have done some good. Good luck with the weight loss planimage

MG - Nice wet 16

Tek - Good muddy run this morningimage

HM - Hope you get out tomorrow

Fiona - Good to hear your back runningimage

--------------

Couldn't sleep last night, was still up at half 7. So no parkrun this morning. Was tempted to try to stay up for it right enough. Once I eventually got up I got to the gym, inbetween a pair of 4km runs.

• Did a practise of the new Lincoln parkrun (starts next week). Nice route round the park and lake, and it looks like it'll be a pretty fast course. I ran 23:05 today (5k race PB is 21:36).

10 mile or so XC tomorrow, then an afternoon swim and perhaps some gym - got a few thousand calories to burn after a night out in Manchester, culminating in a McDonald's binge at midnight!

• SM, probably a wise decision not to stay up for parkrun, tough enough blasting round a 3 mile course, well done with the gym and short runs

IJ, well done with the parkrun, hope the xc went well today,

--------------------------------

went out for my long run today with the option to bail if the calf misbehaved, fortunetly it was fine, 15 miles in the sunshine

Stats: 15.1mi, 2:35:57, 10:20mm, 144(76%) 46 miles for the week

• Hi ..

Mace and Stewart, I too plan to follow the 55/70 P&D, but will probabaly leave out the doubles thats the plan I was following beginning of this year and felt great on it, really strong. Stewart , my physio said for me the kinvaras would be ok  racing up to  10k, I a not really fast enough or at a massive 9.5 stone imagenot light enough to race any further in them

Fiona nice to see you happy and I am sure you are NOT unfit !

OH sea swiming in November !! Respect to you, I dont even do it in July in this country

AGF ! a stone ? must have been fun putting on that weight though..hope it drops off as easy as it went on

MG1 well done on th 16 same as me today (but you were faster )

SM6 I thought I was the only insomniac, I was awake till 3, well done on the gym and 4ks

IJ thats the advantage of being a runner we can run off those cals, hope the XC was ok

Tek I take it you are feeling better ? nice 9 miler done

16 nice hilly miles this morning in 2 hours 33 felt really fresh and strong , getting plenty of slow miles in at the moment, ready for good old P&D  so excited cant wait image..(how sad)

• I was awake from 5:20 ( but only because I got called in to work image and then laid in until 10:30image)
    Still on call but may get out for 3 miler round the bay if remains quiet.
    Aim to get longish run in tomorrow morning ...

• Great to see lots of base building going on. NN that's a great run and same with your 15 Stewart. It is such a beautiful day. Weights again for me before watching a bit of the remembrance service then heading out for a long run image - 5 miles!!  My longest run in over a month; image miles behind everyone in base building!!

F

• Cross post...

Stewart nice 15 well done.

Fiona you will soon catch up , you speedy woman !

• NN, a cracking long run from you good to see you're running well

Fiona, well done with the weights and the run, you'll be back churning out the big miles in no time image

• Thanks both image I'm very grateful to be back!! Going to take a leaf out of your book NN and continue with the body balance (Monday and Friday) and weights and just hope that makes me stronger so I do not get injured so easily.

F

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

MG well done on that wet 16 miler - nice paceimage

AGF welcome back - good luck with the weight loss

Stewart well done on the 6m yesterday, nice long run today and congrats on a great week's totalimage 

HM hope you got out for a run today

Stuart sorry to hear about the lack of sleep

IJ well done on the parkrun trial, hope the XC went ok today

NN thanks but the cold had resurfaced.  Well done on your long run todayimage

OH good luck for tomorrow's run

Fiona great news you can run ok againimage

---

Just a little 3m run this morning, bringing me to 28m for the week; no niggles, so the streak has restarted - 7 days done. image

• Tek - Well done on getting the streak going again. What marathon are you looking at next?

Fiona - Adding in (heavy) lower body weights will hopefully help injury prevention. That's my thinking anyway, though it does beat up the muscles a bit. Nice run today

IJ - Hope the XC was ok

Stewart - Nice long run, and good total for the week.

NN - Sounds like a nice 16 miles this morningimage

OH - I think I went to my bed around the time you got upimage Hope you managed to get our for a wee run today. Hope the long run goes ok tomorrow.

------------

6 miles @ 9:30. 

Not too bad apart from some smart-arse trying to be funny by jumping into my path about 2 metres infront of me. Unfortunately for him I was running with my back to the flow of traffic (so couldn't take a step to my right), and he didn't give me enough distance to come to a stop. So my safest option was to keep on running straight ahead. It wasn't me that was left lying on my arse at the end of it...

Other than that an ok run. HR a wee bit high but that might be due to me having to take extra care where I was landing my feet as it was really frosty in places.

Hopefully get up while it's still light tomorrow, and get out for the 13-14 I was meant to do today. 42.4 miles for the week.

Passed 2100km for the year out there somewhere, pretty sure this is my biggest yearly total. Not that it had much to beat.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Lol Stuartimage...that should have been my attitude in Frankfurt. Nice week's (and year's) total...

• XC was great! we got lost a couple of times so did 12 miles rather than 10.5. Very wet ground, plenty of mud etc. and already wishing we'd found a flat part of Lincolnshire! The next bit is into the Wolds, so some proper hills!

1/2 mile swim this morning. Might have been a mile but I realised I'd not put any clean underwear in my gym bag so changed into running kit and ran home/back! 4 mile run in 33 mins (including a lap of the house!). Gym and perhaps another run later, then the club AGM where hopefully I'll get a VLM place!

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart not sure yet - still some negotiating to be done, but I think it might be Dusseldorf on April 27.image

IJ well done on the XC, and on the swim and run this morning - fingers crossed for that club place...

---

3m jog this morning, all ok

• 18 done - rained before and after but not during runimage
    Plenty of water on the ground however!

Busy time  IJ!imageimage

Nice long runs MG1 NN and StewartCimage

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys. 

I didn't manage to get out for a run yesterday, however I do have Wednesday off so will try & get out then.

• Teknik what is the Dusseldorf course like and weather wise still cold?

Stuart that did make me laugh! image

IJ any luck with VLM?

Nice long run OH and well timed by the sounds of it. image

Hope you get out this week HM4.

4 miles easy (but what else!) for me tonight before body balance. Great to catch up with you Stewart, we should have planned our running better and met up for that before BB.

F

• Tek, well done getting the streak going again, Dusseldorf looks flat, have you done it before

SM, lol can't believe the stupidity of some people, good totals for the week and the year hope the long run today goes well

IJ, hope you manage to get lucky again and get a spot at VLM, well done with the xc and swimming

HM, well done with the run, hope you manage a run on Wednesday, good too see you getting back into it

Fiona, nice 4 miler and BB, it really does help, my flexibility has really improved, but there is still a long way to go, and I agree it would have been nice to get a run in, fyi, your easy pace is about my HM paceimage

-----------------------------------------------------

Easy 3 miles and some lower body weights before body balance, will look to get about 5 or 6 today after work as the youngest is performing at Eden Court this evening with her dancing school so no JS tonight.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH well done on the 18 miler

HM looks like the weather will be better by Wednesday

Fiona well done on the BB and easy run.  Dusseldorf is flat, just a few climbs on the bridges over the Rhein.  "A" race will however be our local Half in late March, and a few weeks to recover pushes us into later April for a marathon...and hotter weather.

Stewart nice easy 3m.  Hope you enjoy the performance tonightimage

---

5m with the club this morning - mud, mud and more mud...

• x-post,

OH, missed you earlier, shocking behaviour on my part, bit of luck missing the rain during your long run, well done

Tek, well done wit the 5 mile run, are most of your club runs off road

• didn't get the club place for VLM ;-(

did manage a sneaky evening 10k run though!

too tired for a swim this morning!

club efforts tonight and November Project 6.30am tomorrow. Fun fun fun!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Hope so, although Chris was saying the gritters may be out tonight image

--------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Tek - Sounds like you're enjoying the muddy stuff at the moment image You seem to like your German marathons too!

IJ - Hard lines on not getting the London place.

HM - Hope you get out tomorrow.

Stewart - Good training last night

Fiona - Nice training too!

OH - That's a good long runimage

------------

10.0 miles @ 9:34 ave.

A wee bit quick in places, and the usual wet muddy climb into the wind on the 4th mile was horrible but more or less ok. Might go to the gym in the morning after work, so that would give me another couple of 4km runs 'today'

Found out my works week off in April has moved. I expected to be off work the week after Lochaber, but I'm not. Given the lack of holidays we get to nominate I'd rather run a marathon on the 13th or 20th than have to use a days holiday to run on the 6th. Decisions, decisions...

• Tek nice 5 good that you have a spring marathon in your sightsimage

OH great 18 well done

HM hooe you got out today

IJ bad luck on VLM place

Fiona nice to you are progressing

SM6 good work on the 10 m earlier, make your mind up time;)

Well back from spain today, perfect running conditions out there but didnt take kit or have time so 10 m tonight @ 8.18 av, nice conditions and legs felt ok still sniffly
  • I hope all went well at Eden Court Stewart, you certainly chose a good night to miss JS and the rain!

Teknik, Dusseldorf sounds good and hopefully a bit cooler for you!

Shame about VLM IJ.

HM4 the gritters are out up here already but better that than rain for a run.

Shame you don't get the hols at the right time Stuart, I hope you find a marathon that suits.

MG1 welcome back! A nice run there and I hope the cold goes away.

5.9 miles for me last night, the others were doing reps and I just ran at a reasonably steady pace. Felt fine although HR still high.

F