2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• ** pretend celeb news **

it seems the celebs turning on the city lights were a woman who used to be in 'Allo 'Allo (great comedy, but not sure she's done anything except pantos ever since!) and some kids who got to about Round 2 of X Factor, but are at least local singers....

Oh dear!

Friday - rest day, so just the day's squank challenge (3 mins plank and 140 squats!) then 30 mins hills on the gym bike then pilates.

Today - about to embark on a "steady" 11 mile bike ride round the city, with a parkrun in the middle. Lovely jubbly!

Happy weekend folks, run well, rest well!

• NN - Good luck for the race on Sundayimage Off road shouldn't be too bad if the ground is cold and dry I guess?

IJ - Hope the parkrun went well

Tek - Nice intervals, hope you're feeling better too.

----------------

7.7 miles inc/ 20:26 parkrun (Falkirk) - course PB of 5 seconds.

Felt I could run a PB today, and was good to be proven rightimage More time to come off that too as I was feeling pretty heavy legged.

• SM6 good run yesterday in the cold, was icy down here this morning but a really bright sunny morning, well done on your PB earlier great stuff!

NN hope tomorrow goes well image

Tek good interval effort on the treddie , hope you are getting back to full health

IC hope your bike run session was fun

9 m this morning @ 8.52 in great conditions, nice and easy. first run for 7 days felt okay, rest tomorrow and then hopefully a full week next week
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Mace you're right, that is part of it...

IJ Lolimage.  Love the "squanks".  Hope you enjoyed the bike ride and parkrun

Stuart congrats on the course PBimage

MG nice 9 miler - looks like you've recovered wellimage

---

7m with the club this morning, bit hilly and muddy, but a lovely morning in the sunimage

• Update on FFB's antarctic adventure:

1st and only female, 3rd overall to complete Ultra in 17:19.51 hrs

I did a leisurely 7.5 after usual Saturday morning swim.

Likewise lovely in the sun
  • Fiona, well done with the 8 mile run hope you got to BB, unfortunetly I had to miss out due to my son's birthday

SM, well done with the parkrun PB, sub 20 just round the corner

Tek, another good club run, nice treadie interval session too

NN, well done with the 5 mile run, good luck with the 10 mile race on Sunday 

MG, nice easy 9 today, hope you're feeling better, enjoy the rest day tomorrow

OH, well done with the swim and 7 mile run, an amazing feet of endurance shown by your friend at the ultra event, pass on my congratulations 

IJ, hope the parkrun and cycle went well today

--------------------------------

rest day yesterday as it was my son's birthday, went out this morning for an easy run @ 75%, 7 miles with a little hill in the middle to keep me honest, the weather was nice this morning, 

• congrats to the Ice Queen!

parkrun and bike ride this morning were rather cold - though no ice! I beat last week's time by 20 seconds, so not bad - 21:46 by my watch.

LSR in the morning. Not sure where or how far!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys and to Freefall Bunny.

• IJ - Good running and cycling yesterday.

Stewart - Nice easy run yesterday.

OH - Well done on the swim and run. Well done to your friend, that is impressive going.

Tek - Good club running.

MG - Good to see you're back into it. Nice running yesterday.

----------------

Gym yesterday afternoon, to give my legs a bit more of a battering. Post parkrun weight of 72.7kg, which is over 7kg lighter than in January. Not sure how that has happened.

17 miles @10:20ish this morning. HR went mental at the end but I was struggling quite a bit. About 900ft of climbing in there, nice wee route, but bloody freezing. No surprise my legs are pretty sore now.

• Antarctic runners now storm bound in Antarctica until Tue/Wed - what an anticlimax!

• Great result at the parkrun Stuart! image

Good luck with the race today NN - hope your weather is same as here, 1 degree and sunny.

Nice intervals Teknik, hope you're feeling better.

MG1 good to hear you are feeling better.

IJ hope the parkrun/cycle went well.

OH sounds like a nice run yesterday, it was lovely here too.

Stewart hope you have a good long run today, the run round the canal yesterday was the first time I've been there in ages and it was fine - a bit muddy where there are fields on either side at the top. Did 11 miles and all well but doing squats with weights first was not something I'll be doing again! 7 miles done this morning in lovely sunshine. 40 miles for the week. imageimageimage

F

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH well done to FFB, and nice swim and run yesterday

Stewart nice easy 7m

IJ well done on the parkrun improvement

Stuart congrats on the weight loss and well done on the 17m LSR. Hope you've warmed up nowimage

Fiona nice running and well done on the week's total.image

---

11m MLR for me this morning.  Struggled to keep to my 75%maxHR ceiling, but it was near enough, at 8:34mm. 38.6m for the weekimage

• Good running folks.  Good to see you overcoming illness and injury.

this weekend has involved lots of excess drinking and two races run with a hangover !!!! lovely. 2000 miles up for the year. 

Enjoy your Sundays !!!

• IJ, well done with the parkrun and swim hope the LSR was a good one today

SM, well done with the long run today, I'm also struggling with the HR on my long runs usually starts drifting after 10 miles or so

Fiona, it's a bit of a strength workout running in the mud beside the fields, well done with the runs this weekend and your totals for the week are going in the right direction

Tek, well done with the 11 today,  and the totals for the week

AGF, well done with the 2000 miles for the year, and two hungover races over the weekend, imageimage

-----------------------------------------------------

had to break my long run in two today so I could take the youngest too ice skating, the first run was a 7.5 miles @10:14, 75% and the second was 9.6 @10:29, 77%. 49 miles for the week, about 15 minutes break between the two 

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

No running from me today I've had a cold last week & am still feeling the effects of it.

• Evening
    Just had read back

AGF a great way to get over  hangover rather you than me thoughimage
    SM6 a brilliant weekend of running, great result at the Park run and super 17 miler today in the cold, you deserve a rest day tomorrow
    Fiona its good to see you banging out the miles again...BUT ? who idea was it to do squats first ?image
    Tek thats a good run considering you have been under the weather
    Stewart C nice doubles , a great way to get the long run done

Just about warmed up after todays off road race which turned out to be 10.4 imageit is one of those courses that tends to change depending on the conditions etc,when I last did it 2 years ago it measured 9.8 and it the route/terrain that the Royal Marines train on plenty of gravely hills up and down hills so steep we slid all over the place, brambles streams and gates ,the last mile is what I was really looking forward to a mile on the road ,its amazing there are runners that I beat easily on the road, but when it come to off road they have the edge due the the fact they arent such bloody fairies  image pleased I did it , it is one of the very few off road races I do as we always have a great club turn out and visit to the pub after

I ran/stumbled ave 9.14s...1 hour 36

8.33 (ROAD) 9.00 ...10.52..image real off road hilly muddy brambles  9.17...8.42..10.41...9,01...10.14..9.58..back on to lovely tarmac 7.23 ..2.39

• 15 miles with clubmates today; hard pace, so 8:24 average miling.

• Teknik nice run and week's mileage - both much the same as mine! image

Nice long run IJ.

Get well soon HM4! image

Stewart good mileage today and weekly total high too. I take it you didn't get your skates on?!

NN I'd have done the squats today but out last night and had to run for the car so decided to get them over and done with yesterday - back to usual next week. That sounds like a really tough run - well done!!

Missing Jason and NP - I guess that NP must be enjoying the sun in Egypt.

F

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NN & IJ,

Well done.

Fiona,

Thanks.

• I also wondered where Jason and NP were 

nice 15 IJ

Fiona I do a tough gym class on a Tues that involves squats/lunges etc with weights and always do my Wednesday run with sore bum cheeks and tired legs

Legs mashed today really tired image and I cant get the mud out of my toenails (no wonder I am single )image

• IJ - Nice long run. That's a fair old pace too.

NN - Well done on the race. I'm with you, much prefer being on the roadimage

Stewart - Good long run. Looks quite similar to my run yesterday, without the break.

AGF - Well done on the races and good work passing 2000 milesimage

Fiona - Nice run yesterday and good total for the week.

HM - Hope you're better soon

Tek - Good running yesterday and nice total too. I'm sure the HR will be easier to manage again soon.

----------

Half an hour in the gym for me this morning. Was going to do half an hour of swimming too, but the pool at the gym was rammed.

Found out the race I had planned to do on Saturday is at 2pm, which is far too late for me. I'm usually up at 5am, and have 7.5 miles and a gym session done by midday so not really for kicking about all morning. Damn image

• NN well done on your run, sounds a good mix there but not easy. soak your toes in a long hot bathimage

AGF thats some total for the year image

Stewart well done your weeks mileage , impressive stuff this early, no where near that myself!

Hm hope the cold goes quickly

Fiona nice weeks work, you are not hanging around are you image

Tek well done on the weeks running, hope you kicked the luggie now!

10 m earlier @ 8.19 av, a faster one to gauge fitness and speed after recent weeks of illness and lack of miles, felt ok for most of the time but no more than that.
  • MG - I like your new(ish?) photo. Nice 10 Miles earlier too !!

Well done for the Gym session Stuart - sounds like your be at parkrun again then image

NN - the men do not know what they are missingimage Well done on your tough Cross country !!

Fiona - for someone whom has been injured you did plenty of miles last week - well done !!

Thats a fast pace 15 Miles IJ - well done 

Stewart - I see you have done 3x40+ weeks in a row….remember to take a down week every now and again !!

Teknik - your a machine to still be able to run when your ill too. Well done on your 11 miles - but please please consider a rest - all the top atheletes have rests !!

So I was feeling guilty after a weekend of debauchery and ran 9 miles and did a 40 minute gym session today….plus a couple of good long dog walks !!! Time for a cuppa tea and a biscuit !!!

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart well done on the long run, and a great week's workimage

HM hope you get over that cold quickly

NN well done on that off road 10+ mile raceimage.  Lol at the muddy toenails...

IJ that was a tough 15 miler

Stuart nice gym work - shame about the race, 2pm is a bit of a silly start time...

MG well done on the 10 miler - nice pace after the lurgy and time off

AGF I'm not a top athlete, so I can'timage.  I will be taking a couple of days off later, as I'm doing an allergy test, and I can't let the patch fall off.  Well done on the 9m and gym work.  Enjoy the cuppa (but stay off the biccies!)

---

1m w/up then 3 miles of 200m/200m intervals at 6:27 / 8:49 mm. All okimage

• settled for 2 hours of woodwork in the shed with no running and a good stash of chocolate. Happy Monday!

• macemace ✭✭✭
    Tek - what's triggered the allergy test ?
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Hope the allergy test comes back okay & doesn't cause too many complications.

-----------

Well done guys.

I'm feeling a fair bit better.

• NN that made me smile, I was thinking the same when putting nail polish on what's left of my toenails at the weekend! image

Stuart, couldn't agree more. I much prefer morning races otherwise the whole day is wasted.

MG1 nice 10 miles after the lurgy. Can't afford to hang around too much, only 19 weeks to go and I don't even have a base!!

Sounds like a good day AGF. image I'm all for the biscuits (& chocolate IJ!) I have cut back my chocolate the last 2 weeks, down from 3 or 4 times a day. Not made any difference at all.

Good to hear you are feeling better HM4.

Speedy intervals Teknik!

4 easy miles on the treadmill for me last night and gave body balance a miss. Will go on my rest day (Friday).

F

• Good Morning All, My first post so please stay with me....Started training, slowly for GNR next september, would accept and training tips support anything!!!!! ALSO how do I apply? can I choose my own charity?...I know the minimum is about £300 AND when do I need to have entered by and cost? THANK YOU SO MUCH all new to me, I'm currently using monday as a long run, only at 6.1 miles at present with 2 shorter 4-5 milers the rest of the week, thanks for listening guysimage)))  RUNNING FOR ALL THOSE FAB40 AND OVERS OUT THERE!!!!!

• welcome Fab40! sorry I don't know anything about GNR entries, though if you hang around here you'll get the running advice you want / need.