2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• OH, Happy Birthday hope you have had a great day

NN, good to get the plan started isn't it image

SM, great totals for the year,

RW, welcome and impressive times I would expect massive improvements this coming year

Tek, nice run yesterday, the club run at the weekend sounded tough, hope you survive the session on Sunday

HM, enjoy the run today image

MG, another good 10 mile run banked, plenty of time to set a goal pace for Stockholm,

Fiona, well done with the recovery run on the treadie, hope the calf settles down, good to hear you have now got your plan image

--------------------------------------------

No running since Saturday for me, and it is driving me nuts, the calf is slowly improving, so hopefully I'll be able to get to the gym tonight for BB and an hour on the x-trainer,

• Evening

IJ you really are iccle arent you imagewell done on the brilliant weight loss

SM6 yes up to 70 miles , with the option of a few less ie I will probably skip the doubles, good mileage for the year for you well done,

Fiona which schedule do you follow ? are you running VLM ?

MG1 good luck with the 2 marathon plan

SC how did you injure calf ? I hope it continues to improve for you

HM4  I hope you managed to run today

Day 2 of schedule for me 8 easy miles with strides all done in 72 mins

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

OH,

Missed that it was your birthday sorry.  Belated Happy Birthday.

--------

Decided to go for a walk round town instead of a run as I knew that would take me longer than doing a short run and hip seemed to be okay but not 100%.  More stretching needed.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN well done on yesterday's 5 and today's 8m - good you got the strides in, tooimage

OH nice windy 9m

OH hope the hip is better quickly

IJ you've had a super yearimage

Stuart well done on the 6m and congrats on the year's 1500 miles

Fiona hope the calf's ok today

MG Stockholm looks good - all along the waterfront

Stewart hope you enjoy the gym and BB

---

Still feeling crap after that Sunday supplement test, and just did a little 2.5m recovery jog this afternoon.

OK what's everyone's planned races (any distance)?

• Tek - I take it you aren't looking forward to doing it again this weekend then?

HM - Probably the best idea, not worth hurting the hip more!

NN - Good running, I think I might sorta follow the 18/70 plan from 12 weeks out, but without the doubles.

Stewart - Hope you managed to get to the gym.

---------------

Having a hunt for a suitable spring half, Inverness looks my best bet but would prefer something earlier. There's a half in Edinburgh the weekend before, but it's 7 and a half laps of a park and a pretty small affair at that.

The local spring races have moved, so Alloa is now only 2 weeks before Lochaber and my hometown 10k is the same day as the marathon. So will have to miss both image

• Stewart how is the calf? Did you get to the gym last night? There didn't seem to be so many JS folks last night but maybe some had set off.

NN there's 10 in the club doing VLM and a few of the ladies will be sub 3 for sure! One of the club guys has done a plan for us (a 2:13 runner) and he takes us out every Tuesday.

Hope the hip is ok this morning HM4.

Teknik I'd steer away from that test now - nice to be helping someone but not at the expense of your training!

I should be doing Inverness Stuart unless I do the D33.

10.82 miles for me last night. We were doing half mile reps but the calf was tight so after three I just did a run. No worse today. Bought Brooks Adreneline's yesterday - the GTS8's are still the best shoes I have despite doing over 1000 miles. Got the 13 version! image

F

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart that's a shame about the date clashes.

Fiona nice run last night, and new shoes !  I'm a Brooks fan

...and no I'm not looking forward to the test on Sunday.  I'm hoping this week is the placebo, so I'll be able to pass on having anything. 

---

6.5m easy this morning.  image  I've got 2 races booked - the Essex 20 and my local Half in March.  I'm leaving the marathon choice to see how I feel after the Half. (I'm hoping to break 1h30 but expect to be shattered afterwards.)

• Evening

Tek you seem to be under the weather rather alot lately , hope things start to improve soon

Fiona, looks like you have plenty of company for your training runs, I struggle to get to club as it often clashes my night shifts, they have a marathon group starting  in a couple of weeks but the long runs are on Saturdays and that doesnt really fit in to my schedule, but I may go to a few to be socialble

SM6 pity about the race clash, maybe look further a field for something ?

My favourite 10 mile race at Plymouth is CANCELLEDimage in  February, also the Duchy 20 looks as if its not going to happen, so at the moment the only race I have planned is Bideford half on 2nd March

11 mile done in 1 hour 44  @73%

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Stuart,

Thanks.  It took ages for it to get better before (stretching twice a day for a about a month then a very gradual return).  I'm still going to try & get out when Chris goes out for runs & see if I can keep up with him by walking.

NN,

Race cancellations aren't good.  I've had 2 races which have stopped this year and one was a very major race (the Women's Challenge round Hyde Park).

--------------------

Well done on everyone's training.

• NN - Shame about the race being cancelled, pain in the arse when your plans get changed isn't it?image Nice run today!

Tek - Good run earlier. I'm in the same boat as you, I want to run sub 90 and I'm confident I will at Inverness. Problem is there is a good chance I'll still be broken 4 weeks later and that's no use. I picked up an injury at Alloa this year and still had it when Lochaber came round.

I've noticed theres a half in Blackpool (which is no more hassle to get to than Inverness) on Feb 23, which would be ideal if it wasn't my brothers birthday that day...

Fiona - Surely the D33 isn't a great idea pre-marathon? Isn't it only about 4/5 weeks before London usually?

---------------

12 miles with 7 at an optimistic MP. (ave. 7:38)

HR obviously a wee bit higher than I could sustain for a marathon, but not ridiculously high. Felt quite tough, but I've done little running between 6:40-9:40m/m recently...

• NN nice couple of runs, hopefully you find some good races to look forward to

HM hope the stretching worksimage

Fiona look after that calf, I am big brooks fan too, Ghost 6 are superb image

Tek hope your feeling better, I would be very happy to get below 1.30, dont think I will attempt it next year as Stockholm M and Jersey M are my main races for spring and autumn season and dont want to risk it as I got away with it in October but may not be so lucky next time.

SM6 great 12 and super pace for the 7, thinking that sort of pace may also be my over otpimistic MP, more likely 7.45 - 7.50

3 k treadie and 1 hr PT session last night

5 m @ 8.22 tonight, last mile at 7.38
  • Are you going for a spring marathon Teknik?

Shame that your favourite race is cancelled NN, odd that they do that when running is so popular.

HM4 sounds as if the walking will be good plan, normally it is a favourable option for arthritis.

Stuart nice run last night. I will probably go for the half - I think a couple of the girls are going for the ultra but if I do over distance i'd rather it wasn't a race.

MG1 nice mix of training.

I did nothing last night as the hairdresser was running late then I had a catch up with the girls on VLM fundraising - one of them is raising money for cot death. I think it did the leg a lot of good as it feels so much better today. image

F

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

Fiona,

Thanks.

• NN, upper calf went tight and I felt a popping sensation about 2 miles into an easy run, a bit frustrating and the 2 mile walk home was not a pleasurable experience.  well done with the 8 and 11 mile runs earlier in the week

Tek, well done with the run yesterday, I've signed up for Lochaber, Inverness half and I'm planning doing the kinloss - lossie HM too, that one is 6 weeks out so I'll race it

SM, you have got a lot faster over the summer and that would be a fantastic pace for your marathon, well done with the 12 mile run

Fiona, yes I made it to the gym, but not bb, it was intervals on Tuesday at JS so the group will have split in two, tough run the other night, take it easy with the speed work don't want to see you on the bench again,

MG, good running again and a speedy last mile

---------------------------------------------------

not much happening here, the calf is slowly improving and I'm still hopeful I can get a treadmill run in by the weekend, over the last two nights I've gone to the gym and ran on the x trainer, 55 minutes on Tuesday and a little over an hour last night, it is so tedious, followed up each session with some stretching, planning on going to bb tonight and another hour on the x trainer.

• race schedule for the time being is:

Bolsover 10k 15/12/13
    Cleethorpes 10k 01/01/14
    Ferriby 10M 26/01/14
    Stamford 30k 16/02/14

with probably Sleaford 1/2 on 23/02 (nice birthday half!) and Ashby 20 in March.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN thanks, and well done on the 11 miler

HM Lolimage.  Fingers crossed all is ok with the hip

Stuart great run with the 7 at MP

MG nice couple of training sessions

Fiona the calf will thank you for the day off.  As for a Spring mara, it's going to be a last minute choice of nothing, Dusseldorf (27/4) or Hamburg (4/5).

Stewart it's frustrating but well done for sticking with the R&R

IJ another busy race calendar !!imageimage

---

9.6m this morning, a few on my own then the rest through the fields and woods with the club.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Race List 2013

15/12/13      Bolsover 10k                    IccleJim
    22/12/13      Portsmouth Coastal         Zoe Windsor

Race List for 2014 so far (h1)

01/1/14 Cleethorpes 10k                     IccleJim
    05/1/14
    12/1/14
    19/1/14
    26/1/14 Ferriby 10m                            IccleJim
    02/2/14
    09/2/14 Barry 40                                 Jason D
    16/2/14 Stamford 30k                         IccleJim
    23/2/14 Kinloss to Lossiemouth Half  Stewart C
    23/2/14 Sleaford Half                         IccleJim
    02/3/14 Bideford Half                         Night Nurse
    09/3/14 Essex 20                               Teknik
    09/3/14 Inverness Half                      Stuart M, Stewart C, Fiona C
    09/3/14 Ashby 20                              IccleJim
    16/3/14
    23/3/14 Warwick Half                        AGF
    23/3/14 Brentwood Half                    Teknik
    29/3/14 Born to Run Ultra                 Jason D
    29/3/14 Victoria Park 5m                  Teknik
    30/3/14
    06/4/14 Manchester                          AGF
    06/4/14 Lochaber                              Stuart M, Stewart C
    13/4/14 London                                 Jason D, Fiona C
    20/4/14
    27/4/14 Great Edinburgh                  Stuart M
    04/5/14
    11/5/14
    18/5/14
    25/5/14
    31/5/14 Stockholm                            MG1

additions/corrections?

• Tek - Some good miles again this morningimage

IJ - A nice busy early year race list there!

Stewart - Good work on getting the x-training done, just be careful not to overdo it!

Fiona - Sounds like the unplanned rest done the jobimage

MG - Nice mix of training the last few days! I think I'll be aiming at a similar MP to you, maybe slightly slower.

-----------

10 miles tonight, legs felt tired. So did the rest of me. Definitely having a complete rest day tomorrow! Only exercise will be walking to/from the barimage

7.5 Saturday, 20 Sunday.

• Tek good 9.6 earlier, to add to your list Jersey M, October 6th all being well and fit

SM6 nice 10, good luck with your weekend running and enjoy the rest tomorrowimage

4.5 easy tonight, rest tomorrow LR saturday morning
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Thanks

-----------

• macemace ✭✭✭

Hope the niggles clear soon Fiona and Stewart

Good MP effort, Stuart

Tek, please can you stick me down for Brighton Mara 6 Apr, Lydd Half 9 Mar. My local 20 ( which should have been 2nd Mar has been cancelled, bummer !!! )

• Ooh, planned races!!image More ultras for me next year, but attention back on the marathon for a PB attempt at Abingdon. VLM and Snowdonia along the way as long runs with company (VLM as it is just after 2 x40m races, Snod is week after Abingdon)image Only run 6m since last Sunday's 50k. Gale force wind for that put paid to target time/pace quite quickly, but managed to get 2nd overall and 1st old blokeimage

• Afternoon..

SM6 a very impressive couple of days for you 12 with 7@mp, whether its optimistic or not is hard to say , what is your best half marathon time ?

MG1 good varied training there, I must admit its hard to fit everything in once marathon training starts, but I hope to get a weight session done tomorrow

SC what a bloody shame about the calf although not sure if treadmill running would be a good idea ! wouldnt you be better off running outside on grass ?

Tek nice 9 plus I guess you are back on form and getting some miles done

Jason  thats some race list ! great result for the 50k

Being a slave to my schedule..... 9 miles in 1.24 @74% lovely run

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart nice 10 miler yesterday.  Enjoy the bar tonightimage

MG Jersey added - there was room only for the first half of the year in my post.  Nice easy 4.5m last night.

Mace - not sure how far you want to drive, but there's the Surrey Spitfire 20  and Cranleigh 21 (16/3) and the Kingston Breakfast 16 (23/3 but 8 am start), all down your way.

Jason super result at the Newcastle 50k! imageDisappointed with second!! image (I remember your post on Fetch and thinking "how f fast were the others going, then?")image

NN well done on the 9m - good HR printimage

---

1.25m w/up then a treddie session of 200m/200m at 6:37/ 8:49mm for 3.62m.  image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done on everyone's training.  I can't believe how mild the weather is at the mo.  It was 8c when I got home from shopping tonight (about 7pm).

• macemace ✭✭✭
    Cheers Tek. May do a weekend away with the family was thinking maybe the spitfire. I also had your 20 in mind before I realised it's the same day as lydd half. Decisions decisions !!

HM, nice isn't it , especially after last winter. Let's hope it lasts.

Nice one Jason.
  • HM - Yeah it's still relatively warm up here too. Better than the winter 3 years ago where it was around minus 17 when I finished work in the morning, for about 2 weeks.

Tek - Nice interval session.

NN - Sounds like a good yesterday! My half PB is 95:09 (7:16 pace) though it's pretty irrelevant as I could take that out at any given time. Not going to lie, I'm tempted to see if 7:32 could be achievable at Lochaber as that would see me PB by an hour hahaimage. I think I'd be pushing my luck tho!

Jason - Sound interesting race there! Well done on the great result at the 50kimage

--------------

7.7 miles including 27:35ish parkrun.

So hungoverimage

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM how's the hip after the shopping trip?

mace  - I think the Spitfire fills up quickly...

Stuart well done on slogging through the hangover

---

9m this morning, 3m warm-up then 6m hilly club run.  HR spectacularly elevatedimage 

• Jason congrats on your race result

NN nice 9 image

Tek well done on your two runs, sure that HR will soon be back to normal

SM6 good effort on the hangover parkrun image

18 tough windy miles @ 8.28 last 5 @ existing M pace
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

I'm going to attempt a run tomorrow.  Not sure on distance yet.

----------