2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Good luck at the Drs Stewart and great news on the calf.

Sounds like a good session with the PT MG1!

Teknik nice double.

NN that's a good long run. It'll be great to catch up again! image

Great to see you back NP! image

9 miles for me last night. Planned 8 but decided to turn back part way through as I had left my jacket in the car and it was tipping down and blowing a gale. Took a short cut and got lost so ended up doing more!!

F

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart hope everything is ok with the Docimage

MG well done with the hard PT session

Fiona nice 9 miler - your sense of direction sounds as bad as mine !image

---

8m this morning, all easy, HR spiking less so things are improving...image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

Lots of rain here & more forecast unfortunately this is starting up play up the shoulder I broke 3 years ago.  

• Tek - Good running today, good that the HR is starting to come under control.

Fiona - Sounded wild here last night, no way was I braving that so well done for getting outimage

MG - Hope the rest does the trick!

Stewart - Hope the doc visit went ok.

NN - Well done on getting the long run done midweek. That takes a bit of dedication!

NP - Good to see you back! And well done on passing your diving courseimageimage

-------------

A fairly easy 10 @ 9:40 tonight. HR 150 (75%)

Conditions made it tougher than it should have been. First half uphill and into the wind, then as I turned for home it started hammering down. Done now at least. been struggling for motivation this week, but off for 2 and a half weeks after tonight so hopefully I'll get back in the mood while I'm off.

• Fiona well done on the 9 a good way to get a bit of extra mileage image

Tek good news on the HR on the 8 image

HM hope the shoulder doesn't get any worse

SM well done on the 10, I am sure you will be doing plenty of miles with that much time off and to break up the xmas holiday

Steady w8 m at 8.46 tonight, getting a bit chilly out there.
  • Tek, good to see the hr normalising 

Fiona, got to love your sense of direction well done on the unexpected 9 

SM, well done with the 10 miles conditions sounded tough

MG, good pt session and run today

HM shame the weather is affecting the shoulder 

-----------------------------

doc seems to think it might be inflammation on the tendons on top of the foot recommended anti inflammatories and seeing a physio, my lower calf has been very tight maybe it has something to do with it, I've arranged an appointment for a sports massage on Saturday hopefully that will help.

5 mile JS run in the snow/sleet very wet and slushy underfoot, 

• Well done Stewart, treadmill in the garage for me tonight! Do you have a foam roller for the calf? That seems to have fixed mine. Hopefully the massage will help.

MG1 sounds like you are getting the same weather as us - gales and snow today.

Stuart maybe you just need a day or two rest, it's not easy at this time of year.

HM4 I hope the shoulder improves.

Teknik nice to see things are improving for you.

No run tomorrow as Xmas party at night but I'll be driving so hope to get a decent run on Saturday morning. Harriers night out on Saturday - driving again as no chance of getting a taxi!

F

• Fiona, yes I have a roller and I've been mashing the calf over the last couple of days, it is still quite tight but it is getting looser, I hope that is what is causing the foot issue, the run tonight was ok no real burning sensation but my feet were getting drenched in the puddles so that might have been a factor, enjoy the nights out this weekend

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM sorry to hear the shoulder's playing up againimage

Stuart nice 10 miler in the wind and rain

MG nice steady 8m

Stewart nice slushy JS run - hope the massage fixes both the calf and the foot

Fiona well done on the treddie run, and have fun at the Xmas partyimage

---

4m recovery this morning, including some tame strides.  Sunny but a little cold here.image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done on everyone's training.

-------

Thanks guys.  I'd rather be moaning about my shoulder than not getting out because of ice & snow.

• Tek - Nice recovery effort!

Stewart - Hopefully some calf work sorts out the foot.

Fiona - Enjoy the Xmas nights out!image I think my lack of motivation is due to the recent turn in the weather. I think I went about 6 weeks without running in the rain/wind. Now I can't avoid it.

MG - Good pace on the 8 miles!

---------------

4.5 miles @ 9:30 pace. 

Didn't like that at all, wet and wild outside.

• Some great running going on NN, Fiona SM6, Teknik, MG1 and SC as for myself I did a 4 mile recovery run on Wednesday and 6 steady today. Spent Thursday drawing up a plan for London before running an update and crashing my Mac book. So after booking a one to one It's now sorted and I'm still finding my feet with it.

See if you can spot me on here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHzDxX2JvEU

• Knackered but home again. Waved to Fiona and Stewart on route.

Some determined running on here despite the elements. All I've managed was a brief 2 miles around Musgrave Park on Thursday morning

• No running today, which is probably a good thing as last night took me by surprise! I pushed the pace a bit for my 2 miles to the running club, getting there in just under 8:00 pace, then ended up pushing the whole way round the 10k route, averaging just over 8:00 pace, with a lovely 8.2 miles overall in 65 mins (8:04).

Parkrun tomorrow, LSR Sunday.... no break for Christmas yet!

• OH pity it was a just a flying visit would have met up for a run and coffee. Weather here is still wet windy and cold so just normal for marathon training, out this morning for 7 easy.

IJ running on Christmas day is the norm image hope your park run is good.

Fiona enjoy the dancing but watch them heelsimage

• Grim here too NP! 4.5 inch heels always a danger on the dance floor!! Just about to head out - will see how it goes but hope to go for the longer run today. image 

That must have been a bumpy flight OH!

Enjoy the parkrun IJ.

F

• Fiona - Hope the long run goes well!

NP - Nice running again todayimage

IJ - Hope the parkrun went well

-------------

8.0 miles including ~20:24 parkrun (Falkirk), course best by a few seconds.

Vaguely disappointed by the time, but I really shouldn't be. Legs are tired (over 100 miles in the last 14 days is a lot for me!), nursing an injury under my foot and having to solo the last 600m into a headwind wasn't the ideal mixture to run quickly.

Gym later, long run (just 17 miles I think) tomorrow.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM good attitudeimage

Stuart nice easy run yesterday, and well done on the parkrun CB.  You've had a good couple of weeks.  Good luck on the LR tomorrow!

NP loved the vid !!image

OH glad you got home ok

IJ nice club run Thursday

Fiona hope you had a fun night outimage

---

Muddy and wet slow 6m with the club.  All ok hereimage

• Tek nice little one yesterday image

Stewart hope the massage has helped

Fiona hope the run has gone well, those heels should have a health warning on them image have a great time!

NP enjoy your 7 today in the wind!

SM good run and a course record is still good going particualry in the windy conditions image

18 very windy miles @ 8.40 this morning, not very pleasant and certianly tested the mental strength but all good miles banked image
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

----------

Planning on a run tomorrow & hopefully Chris will be coming along.

• PB at parkrun (22:32 I think), still a minute to find to get back to August's 5k rate. Followed by another 4 miles to get homeimage

Good to do 18, MG1, I'd love to get that far tomorrow!

• Tek, well done with the muddy club run today

HM, that's the spirit enjoy your run tomorrow image

SM, well done with the course record at Falkirk, hope the long run goes well tomorrow

Fiona, Hope you enjoyed the festivities and you managed to get your long run done today

MG, another tough run at a decent lick well done

NP, Good to see you back and running hope you're adjusting to the colder weather

IJ, well done with your parkrun PB

--------------------------------------------------

I went and got a sports massage today and it was well worth it, as well as having tight calfs and hamstrings it appears that my big toe joint was locked!, after a bit of ultra-sound acupuncture, and some very painful manipulation the foot is a lot better, manage a pain free 4 mile run this evening, still a bit tingly but no pain image

I've been given some stretches to try and told to continue to keep the joint moving to help free it up some more.  

Hopefully will manage a decent length run tomorrow 

• sounds like good news Stewart, hope you get back running fully soon

• Nice dancing Fiona in the heels.

MG1 nice long run in the bank ,

IJ great park running.

nice muddy club run.

i did a steady 7 miles yesterday and about to set off for a easy 10 shortly, will start to build in double runs next week image think that's where the biggest leap forward takes place.image Got the family coming later for dinner looking forward to seeing the granddaughters face when she opens her presents.image.

• SC good news about the toe mate.

• 10 + 1 mile jog to post office before it closed yesterday. Sea breaching sea wall at Scapa.

"Polar Bear" party last night. Brief swim at 7pm first. Mulled wine and eats to warm up afterwards. imageNo jacuzzi this yearimage

Yeah, a visit indeed to Belfast NP. By the time logistics (picking up daughters) were sorted just time for wedding and a lunch at Conor's Cafe  before the boat. No flights involved Fiona but boats were fine despite all the weather warnings. 4.5" heels sound frightening!

lots of good runs carrying on despite the wind - fiona (hope you got your long run in yesterday), SM6 (CB image), Stewart, NP, MG1 (long and hard), Teknik (slow and dirtyimage) and IJ (PB image)

hope injuries settle Stewart

• OH - Good running yesterday.Surely you weren't OW swimming yesterday image

NP - Enjoy the 10, and sounds like a good day plannedimage

Stewart - Good news about the foot. Hopefully the stretches keep the pain awayimage

IJ - Excellent parkrunimage

MG - Well done on what sounds a very tough 18. It's good, mentally, to get something like that done so early on.

Tek - Nice club running, a bit quick at the end though!

--------------

The cut under my right foot has went from annoying, to problematic after yesterday thrash at parkrun. So postponed todays LSR. Went to the gym (which was planned for tomorrow) so hopefully it's going to be a case of just swapping the sessions around. Though if that's the case I'm looking at 74 miles Monday-Sunday...

40 minutes upper body weights, and 1km swimming done.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

MG well done for battling through the 18m yesterday

HM hope you and Chris got out this morning

IJ nice parkrun yesterday

Stewart good news on the toeimage

NP hope the 10 went well, and enjoy the family dinnerimage

OH good running and swimming yesterdayimage

Stuart hope that cut clears up quickly - good work at the gym.  I did finish a bit fast - couldn't resist racing back to the carimage

---

LSR of 17m this morning - averaged 74%, not much drift or HR spiking, 9:24 mm avg...slow but better.

54.9m for the weekimage

• Mmm auto correct mucked up the grammar in last post, but sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up NP

Good to get an LSR at this time Teknik

Stuart - Just a brief dip but yes OW swimming

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

--------

Got out without Chris for 2 miles this morning and ran far too quickly (10.38 min miles) given that I'd like to start increasing the distances I'm running.  Hip felt fine again.  He's planning on coming out with me on Boxing Day.