2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• That's a quality run Stewart with a good climb all the way out, We stayed on the flat and ran to Dochgarroch and back. A nice morning for an easy long run. image

MG1 a nice early long run for the weekend. 

mace as Stewart says you'll be full of energy after the rest. image

Hope all other long runs go to plan today. 16 miles for me with the girls but stayed on the flat unlike Stewart and his 300m climb! Just as easy run at chatting pace. As it's Christmas breakfast was custard and lunch Christmas pudding and custard, I'll be good once it's finished! 56 miles for the week, 7:15:29, av HR 163 and av pace 7:47mm.

F

• Hello all, my name is Stu, will you be carrying on this thread into 2014? I am running my first marathon in may and would apriciate tips and advice as well as being able to chat about runs etc.

• MG - Another nice long run, and a great total for the weekimage

Mace - Hope the rest has done the trick! Good work on having 3x20s banked already!image

Stewart - Nice couple of runs, awesome mileage this week!image Enjoy the well deserved day off!

Fiona - Well done on a nice quick long run!image

Stuart - Welcomeimage What marathon are you training for?

----------------

10.1 miles @ 9:25. 

Penultimate run of the year, I think. Felt decent enough. Legs are tired but can't be too surprised at that, as I'm coming to the end of a third hard week. 20 miles tomorrow will see me past my highest monthly total, although slightly down on what I was aiming for this month.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Stewart,

I did get out, however it was only for a mile as it was still quite icy. 

----------

Well done guys.

• Hi I'm running the Edinburgh Marathon, have any of you run it? What was it like?

• Great running SM6 and great totalsimage

HM4 well done it's a startimage

Fiona great running there with the girls and nice totals for the week, month and yearimage

SC great long run well done sir.image

Mace 3x20 before Christmas is good goingimage

MG1 another great long run in the bankimage

Teknik hope your long run went well, I'm sure it did. I think it should be up to you to open the new room for the year 2014image.

SG Wallace, welcome to the thread its been going for a few years now and each year it will be refreshed there is a lot of knowledge from some great runners and it's not a problem if your aim is 6 hours or 2:30 your more than welcome.

Well after a trip down the country to see the new grandson get christened I managed to get in a late medium long run of 12 miles in so onwards and upwards image

• On call but quiet and oo nice a day to waste: 3 miles round Scapa followed by a swim at Inganess Bayimage Hope to ge a bit longer run in tomorrow ...

Welcome SGW
    never done Edinburgh myself but a number of friends have. Apprently flat and fast with a lot of crowd support.

Impressive long runs in middle of the festive break for Fiona_C and StewartC

First race entry for me now in for 2014 (Loch Katrine Marathon on March 23)

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP nice trail run yesterday, and well done on the 12 today.  I think you should open the new thread, mate- it's now a traditionimage

Stuart solid 10.1m - good luck for tomorrow's 20

MG well done on yesterday's long run, and nice week's work.

Stewart nice recovery yesterday and well done on today's 18.5m.  Super week's total at 65m!

mace I can't believe you've clocked three 20's already. You deserved a week offimage

Fiona nice 16 miler, and well done on the week's total

HM well done for getting out

Stu welcome.  There's a whole bunch of my club doing Edinburgh this year - net downhill sounds good image

OH nice run and swim today - I'll add your race to the list.image

---

Well I managed to stall the LSR all day, and when it got dark I had a sufficient excuse not to do it.  My long runs are moving to Friday from now on (Club tempo training runs on Sundays for our local HM start next weekend), so no point trying to do it tomorrow.

Guilty treddie session instead - 0.5m w/up then cruise intervals of 2 x 2m, + 1m, at 6:52-ish pace, 3' static recoveries.

Cut back week of 36m, 5h08, av. pace 8:33mm, av. HR 160 (75%max)image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Newsflash - Gobi is back.  He's going to be mentoring a lady runner attempting a sub3image

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/spring-marathon/rw-forum-5---sub-3/271016.html#last

• 12 XC today, from Caistor to the middle of nowhere, and via the hilliest mud Lincolnshire can provide! No idea what heights as Garmin died after an hour, but it seems to have been 12.1 miles in 2:03 hours. Slow and muddy and hilly and sometimes steady! Beautiful views though!

On the downside, my "hernia" (pain I think in the muscle above the groin) wasn't playing fair today, so might be resting this week. Except for Wednesday's 10k race of course!

• Fiona, well done with the 16 flat miles, it was a little unexpected my route today I was running down from the duck pond and thought why not and turned left up the GGW, I forgot how hilly it was and thought it was flatter once past the mast, great totals for the week image

stu, welcome to the thread 

SM, good 10 mile run today, enjoy the 20 tomorrow

NP, nice 12 miler hopefully the weather is better over there now

OH, nice swim and run today, good to have the race booked up and the date in the calendar circled

Tek, I like your punishment for missing your LSR, intervals, hope it not too inconvient moving the LSR to a Friday, good totals for the week   

• Stewart thats pretty dam impressive totals for the weekimage

Fiona nice run yesterday and a good weeks work at a decent pace

SM hope your 20 goes well today , nice work yesterday

HM well at least you got out there image

NP well done on your 12 image

OH nice little run and swimimage

Tek good work on the treadmill

IC good effort on the hills

Hi SGW

10.5 m @ 8.42 this morning, blowing a gale, lashing with rain happy days not, but gave me the chance to test my new Silverpoint headtorch which was pretty good.
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

IJ well done for slogging through the 12m XC.  Hope that muscle pain eases quickly.

Stewart thanks

MG good 10 miler this morning image.  Windy and wet here too...

---

5m this morning - felt ok but the HR was too high - I've got another cold, but being buffeted by the wind didn't help.

• Tek - Hope the cold clears up. Well done on getting out this morning. Nice intervals last night too!

MG - Nice run in dire condition

IJ - Nice XC running

OH - Good to see you've got the first race entry in

NP - Sounds like a good day yesterday! Well done on the MLR

-----------

Might push back this 20 until tomorrow, and go for a swim instead. It's probably the less wet option...

Edit: 72x25m swim done. May go for a short run later. Weather looks ok for a long run tomorrow.

• That's all my running this year..... 2222 miles image

have a cracking New Year's Eve and I will see you all on next years thread !!! 

• IJ nice running hope the groin is ok.

MG1 well done in the gale not easy running in this weather.

Teknik go easy if your coming down with a cold, Gobi has been doing lots of cycling but is a great coach it will be interesting to see how the sub 3 goes.

SM6 great swimming 72x25 well over the mile.

As for me rest day so building up the swimming and did 40x25m front crawl, better than Friday and breathing was a lot better. once I have this back up to a mile (64x25) will start doing drills again to improve the things I'm still not happy with. Two runs tomorrow image

• AGF great years running mate. 2222 and no OCDimage

• MG, another tough windy run you've had your fair share of them lately

Tek, hope the cold doesn't get into the chest, nice 5

SM & NP great swimming today guys enjoy your long run and double respectively

AGF, great totals for the year and what a number to finish on

---------------------------

rest day today, if you can call shopping restful, 

• Not 100% (cold) so left it at  just 5.5 today image

Open fire and glass of port ...

AGF all the 3s next year image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

-------

OH,

Hope you're feeling better soon.

• Little run to test the groin / muscle; it was meant to be a steady 5 miler, but trned into a 9 minute paced 8 miler. Lovely!

Seems more and more likely it's  problem with psoas - apparently two muscles that connect the lower back to the front, and could be slightly pulled / inflamed round the front. That's also pushing on the bladder, so feels like I need to pee all the time! image

• SM sounds like you had a rainy day yesterday! Hope the weather clears for you today.

Welcome to SGW. image No experience of Edinburgh here I'm afraid but lots of great training to learn from.

NP well done on the swimming. image

Get well soon OH, there seems to be a lot of things on the go at the moment, typical festive season.

Great interval session Teknik, you're really flying! Not heard of Gobi for ages, I thought he'd become a cyclist.

IJ hope the pain does not get any worse.

MG1 sounds like an early run if the headtorch was out. Well done getting out in the dark/rain.

Stewart shopping is not much of a rest.

AGF I love that total for the year, I hope you don't do another run til after midnight! image

4 miles easy for me yesterday morning although sliding about in the mud in the dark is not easy or much fun. Then met a few of the club folks and did 5.8m around town later in the day. Had felt the calf all day so really pleased that no reaction from this run.

F

• OH Get well soon, mmmm port in front of an open fire.

SC Hope the shopping didn't hit the wallet to hard.

IJ Nice 8 miles.

Fiona glad the calf is ok, i suppose all the Scotts on here are getting ready to partyimage

Just over 5.5 miles this morning out later for an easy 4/5 miles recovery run.

• My OCD target says I should do 3.1 miles today - that would give me 1920 for the year, which is spot on 160.0 average each month. The main target as set last January was 5 a day (1825 total) which I reached at the start of December.

Rest well, get well, run well, party well....!

• Tek hope the lurgy doesn't get any worse.

SM hope the LR goes well today image

AGF well done on your totals for the year image

Fiona good couple of runs there, glad the calf is holding up, yes was up nice and early in dark, first time I have used a headtorch and it was perfect for both roads and canal paths.

NP nice run today , enjoy the second later.

Down in N Devon for couple of nights so went out this morning for a very bracing 5 m coastal run @ 8.18, beats running round the streets at homeimage now off for a 6 m walk image
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart good pool session

AGF I like the year's total image

NP well done on yesterday's swim and nice recovery this morning

Stewart - my sympathies for the shopping trip

OH well done on the 5.5m, hope you feel better soon

HM thanks

IJ well done on the 8m

Fiona nice double, glad the calf held up ok

MG nice 5m along the coast - good pace !

---

8.5m this morning cross country - 3m on my own, then a club run, plus some strides at the end.  Year's total of 2,926mimage

• macemace ✭✭✭

Welcome Stu

Good x-training NP and Stuart

MG - I expect it was extremely bracing with them southerly winds off the sea

Fiona - sounds like the mud won't have helped your calf ? It's been hanging around for a while now hasn't it image

Stewart - stressful image

OH - sounds like a perfect cold cure image

IJ - and some good rewards from that mileage, well done

Tek - stonking mileage !!! That is seriously impressive and another very consistent year. I thought i was doing well with 2372.

XMAS break of 9 days came to an end today with the treat of 9M w5 @ tempo/hmp. With 40mph winds and 60mph gusts and a decent amount of rain chucked in, i decided on a 1.3M lap, hoping to break the wind up a bit. Alas, it turned into an absolute nightmare and after struggling to hit target after 3M with 6:44, 6:42, 6:44 i died on my arse, dry heaving at the roadside and a dear old lady even stopped in her car and asked if i was ok, bless her.

On the plus side, the slight groin niggle i've been feeling since the summer has totally gone so the rest has done me good.

• MG, nothing like a change in scenery, well done with the 5

OH, get well soon, good that you can still manage a run

IJ, hope the pain eases I'm sure it will with a glass or two this evening

fiona, well done with the muddy run, and the run around the town 

NP, nice start to the day with your first part to the double enjoy the recovery run later

Tek, awesome totals for the year, well done with the xc earlier

Mace same session for me, sound like you didn't have ideal conditions today, it's  really tough hit the pace when it's windy

-------------------------

9 with 5 @ LT today ran down the riverside to the ferry point and along towards the canal before finishing in the muirtown basin, a bit breezy today which made the last mile and a half hard

Splits were 8:15,8:16,8:17,8:18,8:13

totals for the year 2244

wishing all a very happy new year image

• Mace - That sounds a tough run! Actually, it sounds a pretty stupid run in those winds!image Well done on at least attempting it! Nice total for the yearimage

Tek - Nice running today, and amazing yearly numbers!image

MG - Good run earlier, hope you enjoyed the walkimage

IJ - Hope you got out for that 3.1image

NP - Good running and swimmingimage

Fiona - Nice couple of runs, take care of the calf though!

OH - Hope the cold clears quickly!

Stewart - No, I don't think I'd call shopping rest!

AGF - Great running for the yearimage

-------------

20.1 @9:20 to finish the year

Much better than the last couple of long runsimage I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, but I'm happy with itimage

211 Miles for December and 1656 for the year.

Hope everyone has a good New Yearimageimage

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

---------

I'm hopefully getting out tomorrow however this is going to depend on how late next door's party is going to go on until.