2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

mace fantastic intervals well done!

NN and Spark I hope you both feel better soon Such a shame to be unable to run NN considering all the rubbish weather we've had to run through!

Nice MLR Teknik.

A well deserved easy week AGF.

NP great tempo running, fanastic pace to maintain.

Well done on the press ups HM4.

Nice running jason, I'm loving the lighter mornings too.

MG1 good that you got a treadmill run, it's all good training.

2.35m warm up run then 8.35m with the group. A very tough hill run, the toughest yet. Enjoyed it and felt quite strong on the hills (for me), kept the pace on the uphills and would have pushed it more going down but so dark and all on rough ground. A few windmill arm moments!

F

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Mace, a great interval session and you're right to be pleased, well done

NN, hope you're feeling better, don't worry about missing a few days training, you've been working so hard and the rest is well deserved

Tek, well done with the 13.5, the legs still feeling good after the 20 on Sunday?

NP, Two good tempo sessions today and quick too

AGF, Enjoy the cutback week you deserve it

HM4, well done with the push-ups and the run today

Jason, nice double glad the legs are starting to play nice

MG1, hope you've sorted out those tight spots,

Spark, hope the tummy is feeling better now, well done for getting your runs done

Fiona, Sounds like a tough effort this evening, you must have been off road again going by the description

Tonight was sheduled for a 12 MLR, as per usual it was done in three blocks a 2mile run to JS followed by a 5.5 mile JS run and a 4.5 run home,  12.2miles in total @10:18mm avgHR 147(77%), I think I'm running these runs too fast should be closer to 11mm. 

Tomorrow night is 12 miles with 7 @ LT, this is going to be a hard run, but I know it going to do me some good...... isn't it?

• macemace ✭✭✭
    Spark - sound rough, horrible running unwell, I was there a month or so ago. You'll get through it just take it easy/rest.

Fiona - strong session, them hills will do you fine

Stewart - that seems ok for effort but I notice your recovery run was about the same pace and quicker to finish. The recovery runs need to be 11+ for you I think, I've been aiming sub 70%... I'm not due any more LT sessions but NP told me I've gotta try harderimage and fit another in ... It's funny but now there isn't one in the plan how much I'm looking forward to doing one !! Strange how the mind works
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Stewart/mace the LT runs will pay huge dividends in the marathon. image We went up the A82 in past Craig Dunain then along and left up the single track tarred road at Craig Phadraig. We usually turn right half way up to go down through the woods to Clachnaharry but this time ran right to the top then carried on and eventually up to the mast.

A 4 mile recovery run for me this morning.

F

• Morning.

Well done everyone some great training as usual.

Jason nice double runs...what is it with us runners and inflicting pain on ourselves there must be a mental health condition that covers this sort of behaviour !!image

Fiona well done on that hill session,

AGf you deserve an easy week (I have no choice )

Mace which marathon are you doing ? sorry I forgot.

Stewart a great way to get a MLR done I  often do that , much better than doing it all on your own, not so easy to control pace at times but its good to run in company, and yes the LT session will do you good even if it doesn't feel like it at the time  

Spark oh dear join the club hope you feel better soon, everyone keeps saying missing a few days wont hurt, I say itmyself to others but when its happening to us it feels like a different storydoesn't it

HM4 nice press ups well done you ust have good upper body strength

I don't think it was food poisoning, no one else I was with suffered, when I think back to the end of last week if I am honest leading up to the half I had a tickly scratchy throat and just a bit of a sniff nothing much but just not 100%  and being an idiot  I chose to ignore it , just took vit c and carried on and raced, maybe I shouldn't have..image ...feeling a bit better today, wont run though, but am driving to Surrey to see eldest son and grandkids till the weekend which was my original plan for Monday  ,I don't know when I will get chance again and not seen them since Christmas so have to just get on with the lovely 3-4 hour drive including the fabulous M25...image.hopefully will feel ok to run at the weekend.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Hi Peeps,

Spark well done on going out again and banking the miles.

Fiona great hill running sure going to help with the strength over the latter part of the marathon well done with the recovery run this morning.

SC Great running and yes it's going to helpimage

Mace it wont hurt and hope you enjoy.

NN Hope you enjoy the stay with your son and gandkids and your feeling better soon.

Working yesterday and last night and took today off on leave to do my MLR, wore a HRM so Teknik can give me some feed back on thatimage legs felt ok but should have worn a hat as the last 5 miles the wind picked up and was very cold.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NN,

Nope, which is why I'm doing this challenge.

---------

Well done on everyone's training.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP nice double tempo yesterday.  I saw today's MLR on Fetch - you don't need any advice from me, I'm sureimage.  Don't know your max, but the HR was pancake flat - perfect!

AGF hope the legs are getting better.

HM well done on the press-ups, and nice run.  Race addedimage

Jason nice double plus strides. Glad the legs are waking up...

MG well done on the treddie and roller

Spark hope you're feeling better - well done for getting the 15m done

Fiona good hill run yesterday - scary stuff! Nice recovery this morning.

Stewart thanks, legs still a bit heavy.  Well done on the MLR (and yes, I'd dial it back 2% or more)...good luck for tonight's tempo!

mace LOLimage

NN enjoy the trip to see the grandkidsimage

---

1m w/up and 1m w/down, with 8m at 80-83%max as a MP test.  Legs like lead, but managed 8:10mm.  Aching all over now, so I've scrapped the LSR tomorrow...meaning I'll have to get 13m in on Sunday morning and then join the club for the 7m tempo (mmmmm....will be "interesting").

• Still tapering and taping - with some beneficial effect image
    Will try short run with JS group tomorrow image before the big one on sunday.

Tek - sounds lke you're due a rest day
    ((NN)) hope you're back to full strength for this weekend
    NP good MLR seems like our weather is following yours
    Spark sounds like you're training quite hard
    FC - sounds like some fun challenging hill training
    StewartC Good running. JS run plus addons sounds not unlike my training - but I always find it difficult to alter my tempo in training.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

NN hope you have a lovely time with your son and grandkids. No better time for a visit than when you can't run! You'll be back to it in no time. image

Great MLR NP and such a low HR! It was a really cold wind here too, I never really warmed up on the second run.

Teknik nice running but sounds like the legs would appreciate taking it easy for a bit. image

Good that the foot is improving OH. I hope the forecast is good for Sunday. image

Got out for 12.3 this afternoon. Felt ok which was a surprise after this morning's creaky run. Did a mile warm up then ran a bit faster for 10 then a freeze down! Would have done 14 but feeling slightly hypothermic. Away to a conference next 2 days so will try to get a couple of short runs done.

F

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Teknik I've just looked at my the same run in 2011 all be it a bit faster and because of that the HR was higher, I now know from this that I am in the same sort of shape and sub 3 is on image. Thanks for the comments,nice running yourself on heavy legs.

OH keep tapering and tapingimage looking forward to race report on Sunday.
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Fiona cross post, great MLR for you image like you I felt so cold and wish I had worn a had I've had the heating on full blast ever since, enjoy your couple of days away and thanks for the comments.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

Fiona- well done on the hills and the MLRimage

NN- glad the recovery continues!image

Tek- Nice run, but careful! Playing catch up is never a good ideaimage

NP- well done on the rain- got cold here too this evening- winter's last hurrah, i hope!image

My plan was to run 15m with the last 5 faster tonight, but body and mind overruled plan in favour of 12m without getting fasterimage. Can still feel Sunday's half and supposed to do a tempo session Friday, so easy does itimage 12.05m in 1.28.12 (7.19 av)

• Glad to hear that you're human after all Jason! image
    Certainly a lot cooler today.
    Forecast not great for Sunday: 2° feeling -5°C, overcast with rain/snow showers
    (think I'll pack some layers!)

• Good Luck on Sunday OH. Hope the weather is kind to you !

Jason, Well done for listening to the body.Worth it in longer run. 

Np - I think Sub 3 is well on for you. Well done. 

Good running Fiona - hope you have warmed up and the conference goes as best it can.

Tek - Good running fella. You will benefit from not having another 2 hard days in the row - good decision. 

NN, Enjoy time with the family with the knoweldge that you in cracking shape and the rest will make you stronger. 

I think I am busted. I still have aches all over the place. In effect I ran that HM on Sunday as I would do an "A Race". I gave absolutely everything to get the sub 1:30 and now I am paying for it. The coupleof shuffles in the last few days have not helped and I have aches everywhere in my legs despite rolling rolling rolling. My right hip flexer is as playing up a lot.  In short I have made the decision to can this weeks training. 3 days rest and then I am in London for the weekend to watch England Vs Italy six nations with the lads....So training starts again Monday after lots lots of rolling/stretching for the rest of the week.  A bit of a blow - but anything else is futile.  I will try and do 200 miles in the 3 weeks before a 2 week taper and take it from there !! Hope fully I will be on the start line with enough miles in the bonnet and fresh enough. 

• NP another good effort in those conditions

Fiona well done on the 4 miles and 12 tonight

NN sounds like your on the road to recovery, enjoy the drive not!

Tek a good 10 miler in the bank

OH hope the taper getting you ready for your race

Jason D good run as always

Hope the recovery continues, enjoy the rugby at the weekend, I am sure the first run will be challenging next week after a weekend away with lads image

Took a rest day today as legs and mind were a bit fatigued, work gets in the way of training way too much at times!! , gym and run session tommorrow

Sounds like the weather is going colder againimage
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

AGF the right decision, take care!! Hopefully the few days rest will mean you come back stronger than ever. image

jason nice run but good to save the legs for the quality work.

OH I hope it does not snow for you!

I've packed about as much for running (just in case!!) as for the evening and Friday. Little dresses don't take up as much room as 2 pairs trainers, many tops, jackets etc etc!! image Prepared for any weather image

F

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Cross post MG1. Sounds like a lot of folks on here are in need of a rest! A lot of miles have been run this year. Hope the gym and run go well tomorrow.

F

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Fiona, nice double today, and I agree that is a hill, I'm going to have to give that one a go some time soon

NN, enjoy the family time and recover, I'm sure you'll be back at it in no time

NP, what is your monica on fetch, well done on the run and I agree it has got colder

Tek, better to rest tomorrow if the legs are wrecked well done with the run, 

OH, I find I can't run at the pace I need to, it is either a little to fast(recovery and MLR) or too slow(tempo), enjoy the taper can't wait to hear about the race

Jason, nice run tonight, good decesion to listen to the body

AGF, take it easy enjoy the rest, and I'm sure you'll reap the rewards down the line

MG1, enjoy the gym and run tomorrow hope you have benifited from the rest today

Tonight was 12 miles with 7 @ LT, 3 mile warm up followed by the 7LT and 2 mile warm down.  I had a bit of a garmin disaster, pressed the pause button to cross a busy road thought I had restarted it, and realised a mile up the road it was still paused, and it was during the first and second mile of the LT section.  I played about with the map data on runkeeper and saved out the activity as a GPX file 

Splits for LT: 

9:38 / 9:04 /  8:21 / 8:38 / 8:19 / 8:27 / 8: 31

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Thanks.

AGF,

Hope you recover soon.

-------

Well done on everyone's training.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH I can't believe it's Loch Katrine already!  Hope the weather doesn't turn out as cold as forecast...image

HM what's the press-up challenge this week?

Fiona nice 12m yesterday in the freezing cold.  Lol at the packing - enjoy the conferenceimage

NP good news!

Jason you're right. Stoopid idea.  I'll try to get the LSR run in on Saturday and leave the tempo alone.  Well done on the 12m last night.

AGF you deserve those days off - plus you always seem to bouce back so much faster after each short rest!

MG hope the legs are feeling better

Stewart big session last night - well done on the tempo miles

mace are you racing Lydd, or using it as a MP part of a long run?

---

I've had a few weeks of a hard Tues MLR / Wed 10m @MP / Thur LSR back-to-back, and I'm glad I scrapped the LSR today.  My head is in a happier place, and I felt much better today after just doing 5m easy.image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

I know how you feel Tek, I've also been feeling tired, this week's training has been hard , recovery run this evening with JS probably around 5 miles, I'm planning to be at the back of the group

• macemace ✭✭✭

Nurse - i'm doing Brighton  

AGF - not surprised you're feeling it, that HM was immense

Tek - 'kin el image that's a tough Tues, Weds, Thurs , you deserve an easy run. Lydd will be 18 w 14 @ MP .... i haven't decided what MP is though as although i've been talking myself into being careful, i've now got a devil on my shoulder telling me to go for it. It didn't help yesterday when i did 15M of the Thanet 20 course and averaged 8:14 ( a whole second quicker than Sunday ) @ 72% which was 8% better than Sunday.

Stewart - i'm feeling on the tired side as well, but i guess that's to be expected. Sleeping like a baby at the moment .... once i can get to sleep that is, after having yet another hour thinking about what my MP should be image

Nice traing everyone 

• macemace ✭✭✭

Stewart - i keep meaning to ask, what's JS ?

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

mace nice running on that 15m - what HR% were you from 11 to 15m?

Stewart thanks, enjoy the slow recovery tonightimage

• macemace ✭✭✭

Tek - i haven't got the numbers on me at the moment but i think ( from the brief look i had post run ) it was around 78% last mile ... but that mile has a climb of about 100 ft and i gave it a bit of welly last 200m. I'll have a look later this evening and get back with some numbers.

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Mace, JS = Jog Scotland, and still a good HR with a hill and a sprint in it

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

AGF hope the rest day has helped.

Fiona so long as you packed your little black numberimage Sounds like your planning a few milesimage.

MG1 hope you have also had a good rest day.

SC well done on the LT run these sessions will help push your lactate level back so you can run faster for longer before it builds up to muchimage hard but well worth the effort. Firesac on Fetchimage.

Teknik back to back hard days are hard work you will benift from the recovery run.

Mace well done on the MLR yesterdayimage

6 miles easy/recovery this morning at dark o'clock and 5 miles progressive Tempo up to 6:00 paceimage Tomorrow is swim and 6 easy/recovery, as I'm working tomorrow and tomorrow night I'm going to give a park run a blast just as a speed sessionimage

• Been a few days since I've posted, looks a excellent training happening.

Had a disaster on my LSR on Monday, felt really ill. Short run and swim on Tuesday. 10.3 miles @7.56 average tonight. That should be about MP, despite my HRM claiming its more like HMP... 

• 6 miles done tonight with JS group. Wet cold and windy. Last run before mara - foot no worse.
    Tek - good decision on the easy
    mace - good pace on your 15
    NP - Good training.  still not thanking you for sending us your weatherimage