2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP well done on yesterday's swim and fast Parkrun. Terrific week's workimage. Hope the snow isn't too bad.

Jason nice Parkrun and easy 10 double. Hope the monster LR goes ok.

Stewart well done on a tough 20. Well done for pushing yourself up that last hill.

MG great 20 miler. Nice splits and strong finish - looking good for Rotterdam!

Fiona well done on the off roader yesterday, and well done on today's 10.  Lol at the photo shoot.image

Stuart glad you shook the hangoverimage; well done on the easy 6

HM hope you get out for a run

NN hope the LR goes ok.

Hope OH gets back with all his bits intact. Started to snow here, too...

---

Club race today - hilly 7m.  I was going to take it easy after yesterday's 20, but when two of my faster clubmates failed to show, I went for it.  Managed av 7:14 pace, and, for the first time, I won.image

Cut back week: 63m @av 8:49, av 74%max HR

• Fiona are you a petite little thing ? ah bless..I like you cos you know when to be sensible.. and never feel the need to go 100% all out all the time...nice running.image

Tek oooops I wrote the bit to Fiona about liking her cos she is sensible and knows when to take it easy, before I saw your post about your hilly fast 7 the days after a 20 !! well I like you too cos you go for it..there have I redeemed myself image ?

Decided to bite the bullet, weather grim but not as grim as forecast for tomorrow , 20 miles in 2.58 finished feeling nice and strong..

.9.10..9.05..9,00...8.50..9.00...8.55..8.45..9.05..9.00..8.50..8.50..8.47..8.52..8.55

.8.47..8.54..8.38..8.45 ..8.40..8.36

off to work now and looing forward to race reports later

• Tek, great effort and well done on the win

Fiona C good 10, seems everyone wants to see the photo

Stuart impressed with the post hangover run

NN super 20, similar splits to mine, I am planning on 2, probably 3 more long runs over the next 3 weeks before tapering down, race is on the 14 th so not long to go
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

NN great bullet biting and another super 20 into the bankimage

MG1 you having a rest day todayimage

Teknik great running after yesterdays long run, well done on 1st.image

Fiona better playing it safe at this stage you have plenty in the bankimage We need to see the photoimage

Jason hope the 24 went ok.

Well just over 22 in the bank with 8 miles at MP but only in Northern Ireland would runners need to change there normal route half way through a run because of a bomb scare...image made a little diffrence to a section of a MP mile af I had to run over a flyover. Fiona like you it was bloody cold here and windy.... Legs feel great and am very happy with how my training is goingimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Fiona- well done on the 10 and the photo shootimage Know what you mean about the wind!!!

Tek- FIRST- can't get better than thatimage

NN- great 20- well doneimage

NP- Nice 22m with MP and a diversionimage Looking good, matey!

Really thought I would have to cut my 24m short and turn back at 9-10m due to not being able to feel any of my fiongers at all despite wearing 2 pairs of gloves, but ploughed on- glad I decided to wear tights today though! The only 2 long run routes around here involve either running along a flat, exposed coastline, or inland uphill for the first half and downhill on the way back. No prizes for guessing which it was today- the hills! Pretty pleased considering the weather as it turned out: 24m in 2.50.35 (7.06 av) splits: 7:24 7:30 7:26 7:25 7:27 7:20 7:19 7:20 7:24 7:23 7:17 7:18 7:15 7:14 7:10 7:11 7:04 7:06 6:55 6:40 6:38 6:28 6:11 6:11 imageimage 

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Great running Jason the conditions today where not nice, it also looks like your back to your old self with regards to speed and endurance. image
  • macemace ✭✭✭

Just in having had to rush one of my boys to his footy match and have to rush back out for mother's day lunch

Well done Fiona in the cold, great long runs Nurse and NP, and Tek .... YOU DA MAN !!!! Top running dude, great win.

Long story short, 18M today with 14 @ MP ( maybe ? ) including the Lydd Half Marathon. Bit windy and cold but a decent coarse and i aimed for 7:25 pace, basically hit that every mile and could have made a few more places at the end but kept a lid on it. Felt comfortable but started to work a bit harder 2M out

Result was 1:36:39 and a pb of just over 11 minutes image

After 2.5 hours of driving, 18 miles and watching an under 11 footy match in the freezing cold i think i've earned a pig out

Enjoy the rest of you weekend all.

• macemace ✭✭✭

x-post

Great long run jason !!!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    NP- getting there, although today's run was tough!!

Mace- awesome PB,!! But if you are running 14m at mp I think your mp is a tad conservative image
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Well done Teknik, fantastic result!! imageimage

NN fantastic 20. I've had too many bad experiences of pushing it and things going wrong so just being (perhaps too) cautious. image I'm a whole 162cm (more with heels) but when lined up with a lot of tall blokes we seem to disappear! image

NP well done on the 22. Scary stuff, that would certainly make me do an MP run!! imageimage

Fantastic 24 jason, great pace at the end. Is VLM back on for you?

mace well done on a massive PB!! Amazing to take 11 minutes off!! imageimage

F

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Fiona- VLM is on, not sure about target though.... See how the next 4 weeks go
  • Well finished the course but definitely no negative split and no PB.

4h55 which was about 10min slower than I predicted (it was never going to be a PB course). Horizontal snow at start and heavier at end of race with light snow showers throughout. 2C. Lovely views with blue sky too.

Foot aching but intact.

Other bits intact too Tek but did opt not to have swim at finish line.

Great PB mace

Fact going on long run Jason

Well done on top position in your hilly 7 club run Tek

Good training in adverse conditions NP, BM and FionaC.

Now snowing heavily again here in Aberfoyle
  • Fiona PHOTO, PHOTO ...image
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Well done toughing it out OH, sounds far from ideal conditions. To only be 10 minutes away from predicted time in the biting wind and snow is good going.image  The foot will get time to recover now.

F

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    OH- well done on toughing it out- sounds GRIM!!!
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Ha ha!image If it goes on the website I'll let you know!

F

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

I did get out.  It was only for just over a mile as it was really cold & horrible.  Well done to you image!

---------

Well done on everyone's training.

• HM - Well done on getting out

OH - Great runningimage If the weather is as bad as it is here I'd have been looking for another marathon in the next few weeksimage But then I'm a wimp! Well done

Mace - Impressive runningimage Nice PB, even though you weren't full out.

Jason/NP/NN - Fantastic long runsimage

Tek - Well done on the winimage

--------------

Currently a blizzard here so I've not been outimage, hopefully get a break in the weather soon. Don't have to be up tomorrow morning (I start work at 10pm) so I can in theory wait all night but I do want to get out soon...

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Mace fantastic PB by 11 minutes that's brilliant. image

Fiona we still need to see the Photoimage snowing again here image

OH great running in very poor conditions but I have to ask have you every swam when it's been snowing? Hope the legs don't take too long to get back to normal.

SM6 think there is a man suit that needs zipping upimage

HM4 well done on the mile run.
  • Quck post meant to be working...MACE wow..welldne you  !!!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Only 1 missed run this week, so mileage getting back up there image 103.1 for the week ave pace 7.30
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN nice 20 miler - good splits, well doneimage

MG thanksimage

NP well done on the 22 in the cold/wind/ bomb scareimage

Jason fantastic splits on that 24 miler!!  Well done on a three figure weekimage

Mace imageimage. I can't believe how quickly you're improving - 11 minutes HM PB while running at planned MP!! Enjoy stuffing yourselfimage

Fiona thanksimage

OH WELL DONEimage Terrible conditions, glad everything survivedimage.  Lol at the swimming.  image

HM well done for getting out there, and thanksimage

Stuart blimeyimage, hope the weather settles down so you can run.

• TBH I quite enjoyed the conditions.
    The rate limiting factors were more my left foot and the "undulating" terrain.

NP yes  - add in after dark and F9 (onshore) gale albeit in company and not having just run marathon

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    OH yep your mad lolimage
  • Got outside for about an hour. The snow has frozen on the ground, and its bloody dangerous out there.

I really need to melt before I go out tomorrow afternoon, or i might have to seriously consider a treddy LSR. That appeals to me slightly less than being repeated punched in the face by Mike Tyson

• OH just seen your post, sounds like a damn tough run in bad conditions and its amazing that you still manage to  appreciate the scenery well done

fab long run Jason and NP (as usual ) NP do you go up to 24 ?

SM6 that is exactly why I went and got mine out the way today, even after a late night and having to work this afternoon....the weather looks even worse tomorrow, enjoy your long run wherever you do it.image 4-5 on a treddy I could cope with but a long run !!image

Once again well done Mace on that 11 min pb...thats just silly..image but brilliant..

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

SM6, I'm normally a zombie with a hangover so well done getting a tempo run done with one

MG, another 20 in the bank well done

Jason, great running at the weekend and your totals for the week are awesome

NP, great running again, and adding a bomb scare into the run alongside fighting the elements, awesome stuff

NN, a strong 20 in the bank, well done

Fiona, Arctic conditions out there probably a good 

Tek, A good weekend of running for you, congrats on the 1st place image

Mace, Congrats a new PB, brilliant newsimage

OH, the conditions sounded horrendous, well done surviving the course

HM, well done getting out for a run

I was planning a interval session this evening, but there is snow on the ground and it is freezing out there so I am in two minds, especially with the HM on Sunday.

I'm going to try and get some faster sessions in between now and Thursday and look to lightly stretch the legs on Saturday, does this sound like a sensible build up to the race?

• StuartC , if you are going to do an interval session at all this week do it today or tomorrow, no later if racing Sunday. Have you got access to a treadmill to get the done today ?

No snow here but its bloody freezing and VERY windy..so just a little recovery run on treadmill later for me.

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

NN, Yeah I could do it at the gym if needs must