Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    SC well done on the last long run and 20 in the bank, don't go to mad on the taper;-)

Mace enjoy your long run, man suits in big demand in this weather getting mine on now image

Jason good luck on your 10k quest, it's bloody Baltic here with the winds.
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Brentwood Half: 1:34:09

9 minute PBimage, unofficial 10k PB too

Full report later...

• Options

Tek - Great running, well doneimage

Stewart - Nice 20image

HM - Do you own a resistance band? Its basically an elastic band that you can use to do all sorts of exercises with. 

If your doing a lot of push ups, your putting a lot of work through the front of your shoulders, and nothing through the back part. Which if you have dodgy shoulders (I think you mentioned you had?) is going to lead to an injury. If i was you I'd add in a upper back exercise (resistance band pull apart, reverse flyes or something) after you push up to even things out.

------------

Wasn't racing my 10k today, well not until I changed my mind an hour before itimage

So 11.5 miles with 41.40ish 10k, PB of about 55 seconds.

Ran pretty well, was far from all out. Both 5s were almost identical in time, despite the 2nd 5 being mostly into a very strong wind. Think theres much more there, didn't even feel particularly pushed at the end, usually I'm shouting at myself towards the finish. Today I just quietly got on with it, pretty sure I even still had a grin on face about 9k in!!

Much much happier this weekimage

LSR tomorrow

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Tek- WOW! A 10k pb within a half is pretty awesome image

SM6- well done on a more normal pb- lol! image

No such luck here....

Crazy wind at Atlantic College 10k today!!! Compared notes with yesterday's Llyn Llech Owain PR winner, John, and both of us had splits on this 'fast' tarmac 10k which were the same as our times on the hilly, muddy trail Parkrun course ( not this week's in my case! Lol! )!

Weirdest part was running downhill in last few km and struggling to get any pace cos of wind! Never known running downhill feel like uphill.....Wind almost tripped me up at one point as one leg got blown into the other- nuts! image

Oh, and not forgetting- I wasn't good enough either.... Only just managed sub 40!
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

imageTeknik fantastic PB all them long runs paying offimageimageimage was there much wind? looking forward to the race report.

SM6 Great running and another fantastic PB well done in the windimageimageimage

Just over 19 miles with 7 miles faster than MP But the wind was Baltic and rather than do another 3 miles around my house I cut it short but still happy with the splits

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Jason the conditions are mad we now have 6 seasons here: Winter, Spring 1day, Winter, Winter, Summer if we are lucky, Winter..........

Well done in the conditions mate after a week of driving and work it's not easy.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Stuart,

I broke my shoulder a couple of years ago and am doing this before I start doing a 10 minute trainer workout dvd (it's from the same guys who do the insanity workout dvd's)  And yes I do have resistance bands however when I've got the 10 minute trainer workout dvd I'll be able to use them more fully as there's sections in there which use the bands.

Tek,

Well done, looking forwards to the report.

-----------

Well done to everyone who's been out.

• Options

Super Race Teknik - Well done mate. 

Well done on all the long runs too folks. 

I am still busted - but managed to jog 5k today although it did not feel great as niggles still there. Oh Well. Enjoyed the swim afters anyway !!

• Options
    Tek great PB well done sir!

Stewart C well done on the 20 ! Enjoy your taper

Sm6 good work n your PB !

Jason looks like you hd a battle against the elements, well done

NP nice 19 must have been pretty tough going

AGF well done on getting out , hope the legs improve this week

Snowed again overnight so thought sod it get out for a steady 5 m, fortunately the overnight snow had made the paths fairly grippy in trail shoes but like everyone else the wind was bracing!
  • Options
    10 miles in snow today Achilles ok got pain behind my right knee now.

Could be scar tissue from op I had years ago? Any ideas guys.

Drool behind with my LVM training but got one 30 miler under my Brit do msy be okay ?
  • Options
    20 miler under my belt lol

Banbury 15 was cancelled btw
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Brentwood Half Marathon

My club were out in force this morning – 40 of us kitted out in pink ClicSargent vests, although with all the jumpers and bin liners in evidence it wasn’t that easy to spot everyone.  With the wind chill it was about -4C, sleeting a little, the wind varying between nothing and sudden gusts at random angles.  There were about 2,000 runners, about half the normal, and even the Band failed to show up.

I queued up with four team-mates who I hoped would run at an even pace.  Predictably after the gun went it was a mad scramble as the first two miles are downhill.

6:38 6:45

I slowed down as we turned back uphill. I’d lost sight of the two fastest club-mates, Mal and Trevor, and was running with Faye, and John (with whom I’d run the Essex 20). 

7:12

The 1:30 pacemaker rolled by with a surprisingly small pack of about 20 runners.  John, of course, decided to follow them.  I left him to it.

7:16 7:18

Faye was starting to slow too much so I waved goodbye and closed down the group in front of us.

7:10 7:20

Through the half-way point with a hardy crowd yelling encouragement – the ClicSargent vests came with names so I got plenty of cheers. I started chatting (in short sentences!) to a young guy with me.  He was aiming for a 3:15 in Brighton but by his breathing I could tell he was in trouble. We passed John who had given up on the 1:30 crew, and was slowing badly.

7:20 7:16 7:19

We turned again into the wind, with a 3 mile stretch home, mostly downhill.  I dropped the Brighton runner and pushed hard.  No-one had gone past me since the half-way.

7:13 7:05

Now the last mile, which has a sharp uphill section.  Struggling a little, I was passed by two guys as we crowned the hill.

7:28

At last, with the crowd yelling, came the “sprint” finish for the final 240m.

48 (5.18 eq.)

Mal and Trevor came in at 1:30 and 1:31, then me at 1:34.09, a 9 minute PB.  The first 10k was also a PB by a few seconds.  Faye came home in 1:37 and John in 1:38, both PBs.   I think we got a top 10 team placing for the first time ever, and we raised over £4,000 for ClicSargent.image

• Options
    Tek , great run , PB and fund raising , you must be a happy chap image
  • Options
    Great report Teknik. Well done fella. Good pacing and well done... image
  • Options

image Tek Good pacing and racing. Double PBimage

Commiserations to all those with cancelled races.image
    We had a short walk up a small lakeland hill in near arctic conditionsimage

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Mace, thanks, hope the twenty went well

Jason, I'm sure I'll drive you guys mad too over the next few weeks, sounded like tough conditions for your 10k race, I could only dream of a sub 40

NP, nice run and I don't blame you for cutting it short, it is not nice out

SM6, congrats with the 10k PB, and good luck with the long run tomorrow

HM, hope the shoulder doesn't give you too much trouble

AGF, hope you can get those niggles sorted out

MG, well done with the 5, and the wind is indeed biting

Tek, great report and a cracking race run today, all the more impressive with the 10k PB, also well done raising the money for ClicSargent a worthy cause

OH, how are the legs

A busy day today, I went out with some JS runners for a run 7.5 miles in 1hr 13mins really enjoyed the run and the legs were not as fatiqued as I thought they would be, shortly after the run it was indoor cricket training, there was only a few of us to we just netted.

I think there is something wrong with my HRM the last few runs have recorded some strange readings

• Options

Stewart - legs are fine but haven't run for 10d (Infected olecronon bursa + ongoing discomfort outside edge left foot). Intending to try again in next few days.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Great report.  Sounds horrible condiditons.

Stewart,

It's holding up well and the press ups have really helped.  It was just that time outside yesterday morning without a coat which threw a spanner in the works.

OH,

Sounds horrible, hope that clears up soon.

----------

Exhaustion test at the end of week 4 completed (35 press ups) so it's onto week 5.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Great run Tek, that's gotta be a big confidence booster there image

Well done everyone in crappy conditions

• Options

Quick skim..

Tek well done indeed you smashed that half PB !! a real confidence booster an easy  sub 3.3O for your Marathon what is your  "A" target time ?

SM6 you too, well done on the 10k PB..

AGF sorry you are still struggling.image

well done everyone who braved the Baltic conditions today for races/long runs.

Its not fun anymore is it ? I shall be glad to taper.

A hilly windy 18.25 miles in 2.50 after just 3 hours sleep..image, off to sleep now..2 nights in bed before it all starts again..image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart super running yesterday - nice 10k PB, and great that you felt so relaxed.  Good luck on today's LSR.

Stewart well done on that final 20m and nice 7.5m with JS yesterday. Maybe it's time to change the HRM battery?

Jason sounded like a tough day out in the cold gale!

NP super 19 miler - liked the fast 7 mile splits

HM woo-hoo! Great total! Well doneimage

AGF thanks, well done on the jog and swim

MG well done for braving it and getting the steady 5m done

Woody nice 10 miler.  Hope you shake the knee niggle. Maybe there's time for one more big run if the weather improves?

OH nice arctic walkimage.  Fingers crossed for a quick recovery

mace thanks, yep, I'm going for it now...

NN nice 18.25 m yesterday (don't know how you cope with so little sleep), and well done for forcing yourself to do that 10k on your own on Saturday.  After the Half PB I'm confident I can go for a 3:29 now...

---

4m recovery jog this morning at 62% maxHR.  Lots of pain on the sole of my left foot. Now on ice...

• Options

Question...

My last long run (21) is scheduled for next Sunday, then of course its taper time.

My shifts are all over Easter, Fri Sat Sun, I cant do a 21 in the middle of night shifts, do I do it Fri (which I can handle as after I would stay in bed for the day till work) but that would mean a serious shuffle of the schedule for this week....OR could I do it next Tues which although is officially within the 3 week taper would only be 2 days late ....do you follow me ? 

If I do it this week I would have to do

Rest /recovery today

Tues VO2 max session (INSTEAD OF ANOTHER RECOVERY)

MLR 14 wed

5 rec thurs

21 Fri 

5 rec Sat

8 gen/aerobic sun

Are the 14 and 21 to close ? I dont really want to skip the 14 but I am also worried the late 21 would hamper taper if I leave it till next Tues

• Options

Hi Night Nurse. if you do it next tues then run it very very slowly. I think its ok. ( but dont take advice from a crock ) 

Alternatively Can you do this? Starting Mon -  Rest, V02, 5 rec, 21, 5 rec, 14, 8?

3 miles shuffle for me this morning. No running tomorrow me thinks !!

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

AGF hope you shake those niggles soon

NN I think any combination works so long as you take both the MLR and the LR easy

Our local half was filmedimage

http://www.run247.com/articles/article-3568-.html

you can catch my finish at about 6.53image...although the cameraman seemed more interested in the girl next to me...

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

OH, hope the infection heals quickly

HM, well done with the pressups, 

NN, well done with the hilly run, made all the tougher with the wind

Tek, nice recovery at a very low HR, hope the foot pain eases after the ice treatment, I'll watch the video later once I'm at home

a quick question if I may, I would still like to do a MP test run at some point during the next two weeks, should I just do some MP miles in one of the two remaining LSR's (16, 12) or change one of the speed sessions earlier in the week thus keeping the lsr's easy

• Options

Stewart. You can do either. I would do the last 6 of your 16 at MP after taking it easy to begin with.

I would also do a 5k blast at some point.... these runs make MP feel easy !!

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    I was planning to do parkrun on Saturday with a little before and after
  • Options

Tek - Nice finishimage Not sure I blame the cameramanimage Nice race report, and a nice sum of money raised for charityimage

AGF - Hope the legs/body is recovering a bit better

NN - As has been said, if you do both easy then Friday is ok. Personally I'd do it Tuesday though. But then I'm only doing a 2 week taper. Good run yesterday, especially on that little sleep!

HM - Well done with the push ups

Stewart - Nice run yesterday

----------

18.3 miles @9.45 ave (I was probably stopped for about 10 minutes during this...)

Legs were having none of that today. Rest tomorrow, then 50 more miles then taperimage

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys & well done to you lot who've got out.  Someone said it was going to warm up end of the week however doesn't look it will do.

• Options
    Two excellent days of running Stuart. Well done sir !!