2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Mace - Nice run

Tek - Good going. 3.30 no botherimage

Stewart - I've never really ran a marathon before, I did finish Loch Ness last year but trundled round injured for most of it so try not to count that! I just think that given my mileage I don't need 3 weeks to recover pre-marathon, it would be different if i was consistantly racking up 60-70 miles plus, but I'm not. And, also I tapered for 3 weeks last time, and ended up doing almost no running (or anything else for that matter).

----------

4.5 miles for me tonight, legs feel ok

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Day 1 Set 1 - 17, Set 2 - 19, Set 3- 15 , Set 4 - 15, Set 5 at least 20, (60 seconds recovery between each set) Day 2 Set 1 - 10, Set 2 - 10, Set 3- 13, Set 4 - 13, Set 5 - 10, Set 6 - 10, Set 7 - 9, Set 8 - at least 25 (45 seconds recovery) Day 3 Set 1 - 13, Set 2 - 13, Set 3- 15, Set 4 - 15, Set 5 - 12, Set 6 - 12, Set 7 - 10, Set 8 - at least 30 (45 seconds recovery).  

I've done day 1 this week however was going to day 2 tonight but Chris had car problems which required another pair of hands to help sort out.  So day 2 is tomorrow.

----------

Well done on everyone's training. 

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Fiona interesting subject last long run, feel I will still keep it at 20 and with a few miles at MP at the end. Then I have a half marathon two weeks out and that will be done with 10 miles at MP, the week before will be 8 miles image Enjoy your trip home and don't forget to bring the sun with you.

Teknik glad the foot is ok but if you ran 7:50 how would that effect the HR?

SC nice running and enjoy your taper its nice to run MP with fresher legs.

Mace it sounds like you still had some of the 20 there but it's a good sign that you felt good at the end.

Just over 14.5 miles this morning at dark o'clock met up with a friend and ran about 9 miles with him, I slowed down a little and he speeded up but was good just to run and talk crap.
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    HM4 well done on the press ups.
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

mace nice progressive run - strong finish too

Stuart thanks - nice 4.5m tonight

HM those sets are really stacking up now, well done

NP nice medium run this morning.  I know what you mean, I need to get some headroom below 3:30 to make it safe.  Funny thing is, I ran that HM at 7:10 pace and only hit 86%maxHR by mile 10 - 86% is probably what your mate Paul runs his mara's at (albeit with a flat not rising HR).   I think I'll notch it up a percent or so and see what falls off next week...image

• Thanks for the tips/ advice all, will see how I am feeling on Friday or Saturday for last LR , may cut back a few miles , I guess I am similar to SM6 in that I am not racking up the kind of mileage that most of you guys have done on a regular basis.

Rest for me today.

NP well done on the 14, bet it was a bit chilly and blowy

Mace good run with the MP thrown in

Tek good run glad the foot is improving

SM6 nice little run tonight
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Teknik I can't see how it's possible to run 26.2 miles at the same HR for all of it unless you slow down a lot over the second half. I know that I will be pushing 160 to 170+ by the end of the marathon but would like to think 153 will be a start point.
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    NP the Hadd approach doesn't assume zero drift...it tries to minimise it for the first half, so that once your HR starts rising, you've room for drift in the second half. My drift is still bad: If I start off too high/too fast, it will be an ugly last few miles. I'd love to have only 20 beats of drift...last time it was more than 50 on even splits image
  • Tek - 50 bpm drift? image

Might be time to rething what I was planning in a fortnight...

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Right I must look more into this after, would like to try something different but still have the world police and fire games to do first.
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

No Stuart, we're all unique.  And drift is "my" problem.  In any case I was exaggerating - it was 46 (153 to 199)image.  God knows what it was like BEFORE I started HR training...it does explain why I kept bonking out, though.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    But if you also train by pace your HR will become stable during the training phase just by running consistently over a period of time, I'm sure at the start of this campaign my HR would have been high at the start with more drift. If you only train for 12 weeks for just one marathon surely your not going to be able to reach your potential. But if you run consistently over a number of years and your training is 18 to 22 weeks the adaptations over that period will enable you not only to run a marathon faster but also to have a flatter HR. Well that's how I see it for what it's worth. image
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    NP I agree...it just boils down to getting the miles in, whilst avoiding injury. The HRM stops me overtraining, if nothing else ...image
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Tek, nice run all the training is paying off, is 8mm going to be your MP

Mace, well done with the progressive run with a strong finish

SM6, A huge Marathon PB is a definite possibility, nice run tonight

HM, some impressive push up reps, keep going you're doing great

NP, Great running again, 

It was meant to be an interval session tonight but track was in use, decided to go out for a run and progressively got a little quicker, caught up with a joggers group in the last mile and passed them with ease.

5 miles 46 mins @9:10mm avgHR 149(79%)

• Drift occurs to everyone over 26 miles. It's just a case of whether your training combined with racing pace means it drifts too quickly.... If it does then breakages.

Eg drift of 30 beats from low heart rate may not be a problem starts low and if it peaks at the finish and is steady in rising..... But if it happens in first 15 miles ....you break and walk the rest of the race image
  • Catch up properly later..

14 miles MLR done yesterday in 2.08 I really love those mlrs (and I am not being sarcastic) I do, it sees so easy to pop out and run 14 miles, when following  this schedule weired !!

off to pilates now then 8 miles with strides and although its still cold the sun is out image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

MG hope you enjoyed the rest day

Stewart nice progression run last night

AGF that's exactly what I meant to say - control the drift for the first half, then in the second half you can drift without blowing up.  Are your legs feeling any better now?

NN nice 14m MLR yesterday.  I'm the opposite - if there was one thing I'd CBA on, it's the MLRs.  Enjoy the 8 plus strides. Sun? Shorely shome mishtake.

---

13m MLR this morning for me.  Started off on road on my own then joined the club for a mud-bath. Lost my shoe twice.  Freezing cold with wet feet from breaking through the ice to the mud underneath.  So glad I was wearing road shoes. Am now researching symptoms of trenchfoot...image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

I actually found today's easy & did 30 for the last set. That run sounds horrible.

Stewart,

I'm still doing them on my knees.

----------

Well on everyone's training.

• Nice MLRs today Tek/NN

And a nice run last night Stewart.

-------

Got a pain around my left kneecap. Had this before, I have a feeling its simply down to the cold. I'm aware that makes me sound more like 57, than 27...

So went for a swim (56x18m)instead of running, which was probably stupid, as I reckon it would be painless enough to run on. 

• NN Hope the Pilates and run was enjoyable

Tek well done on the 13 hope the feet are thawed out

Sm6 hope the swimming has worked okay on the kneecap

2 hour gym session with trainer tonight, core, legs, balance, and strength work which was good.

Decided on 15 miler tomorrow or saturday as my main run for the week, makes more sense than 18 or 20, two weeks on Sunday will be in Rotterdam - image getting close now!!!
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

NN, great MLR last night hope the 8 and pilates went well

Tek, Hope you've warmed up after the cold 13 this morning, I also find the mid week MLR tough, I find finding the time to do them is the hard part

HM, won't be long befor they're full push ups image

SM6, Hope the knee niggle is just that, nice swim

6 miles with JS it felt fairly easy worked hard on the inclines, big toe sore under the nail, might be bruised

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Going a bit quiet on here...image

HM that's a great last set ! Well doneimage

Stuart nice swim. Hope the knee's better...

MG good gym session.  Sensible decision to cut back the long run now

Stewart it's much better now...a balmy 5C here.  Nice 6m with JS, hope the toe's ok

---

Bit of "Holy cow" moment this morning - 5m steady with a 75%max ceiling turned out to be a cruise at 8.17mm. Hope that's not a one-off.image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Thanks & well done to you.

Stuart,

Hope it's nothing too serious.

Mg & Stewart,

Well done.

• macemace ✭✭✭

MG - 18 does sound a lot 2 weeks out let alone 20. I'm 2 weeks away this Sunday and will do 16 instead of the P&D scheduled 17.

Tek - sounds like a fun MLR. Mate of mine has suffered with trenchfoot from working down the pit and spending hours on end up to his ankles in freezing water. Not nice. And that's a very nice COW indeed ... hope it's here to stay image

HM4 - well done with them sits, great signs of improvement which will stand you in good stead. I remember when i started them and i think i collapsed at about 6 or 7 ... now i like to get in 5 or 6 sets of 20/25 three times a week. Slowly slowly catchy monkey image

Stuart - may be worth getting that looked at ? I had a problem with my knee/kneecap which i too thought was related to cold but turned out to be Patello Femular syndrome. I put up with it for about 3 years and it turns out with some taping and a daily exercise routine it will be sorted in 6 weeks. I've noticed a big improvement after 2 weeks.

Stewart - bye bye toe nail ? Lost one on my left foot and another is about to go .. right foot is fine though image

11M this morning which went like this ....

2 w/u

2 @ threshold

1 @ MP

2 @ threshold

1 @ MP

1 @ threshold

2 cool down

The MP bits felt quite easy image

Av 7:37 @ 79%

• Mace Looks like you nailed that 11 with an impressive average

Tek well done on the 5

Also took advice on the long run today from brother and nephew who are both doing VLM they said the same as you guys so did a steady 14 with a couple race pace miles - still windy and cold here!
  • MG - Nice running

MAce - Thats a tough looking run, well done

Tek - That's looking good if its not just a one offimage

Stewart - Hope the toe is ok.

-------

Think I might be on a 3 week taper now, either that or I'm just flat out injured... I could probably run, but there is still a pain in my knee. I'm not chancing it, I'll go to the pub instead of running tonightimageimage

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    SC great hill work I hope the toe is ok.

AGF nice dog running I'm sure Lulu is enjoying her running. image

NN I agree with you some people thing that14 miles is a long run but its only your midweek medium run image and your doing these easy.

MG1 two weeks out that's still a bit far I'm only doing 13/14 miles two weeks out, go easy.

Teknik saw your stats on Fetch nice HR and running, did you feel that you where running easy at the time without looking at the HR?
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Pressed the wrong button...

HM4 well done with the press ups any running this weekend?

Mace 11 miles at avg 7:37 is good running. image

SM6 three more weeks on the wagon for meimage

Rest/recovery day today for me 1 mile swim 64x25m and 4 miles easy.
  • TEK I agree it is quiet on here, maybe everyone is frozen solid !! nice holy cow moment, great when that happens isn't it, and within a week of racing a half image, I doubt its a one off..image

MG1 you did the right thing cutting that long run down,  there is nothing you can do in 2 weeks to improve endurance ,my schedule has 17 2 weeks out, which I WONT  be doing, I to will drop to 13/14 max mainly as I have night shifts to add to fatigue and I am an old biddy ...lol

MACE very nice run !! how come you don't post on the P&D thread ?

STUART looks like you could be saying ta ta to that toenail...I have a couple that are bruised at the moment, my feet definitely aren't my best feature..image

SM6 you are better off starting that taper anyway now surely ? I am looking forward to mine, I cant understand how anyone only want a 2 week taper ..hope the knee improves after all your hard work.

NP 22 for you this weekend I take it ?

HM4 keep up the good work

Well my A plan (21 MILES) went out the window today spent the day with Grand kids who didn't go till 5 so all I had time was a quick 6 mile recovery before work.

Hope to set plan B in operation tomorrow, fingers cross for decent 5-6 hour sleep after my night shift then get a 20-21 in before coming back to work, at least the clocks go forward so an hour less to work image

Plan C is 20 when I get up Sunday before my 3rd night shift.

Plan D (yes I have a plan D) is an 18 on Tues...wont do the full 20 as advised this unwise...so hopefully I wont have to resort to plan D image

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Fingers crossed that plan B works NN!

Stuart take care of that knee, good that you rested.

So much good running going on when I've been away through all sorts of rubbish weather.

A stunning morning here so let's hope it stays that way. An easy 6 miles for me yesterday, was going to do more later but my right hip (feels like piriformis) giving me bother. Instead did lots of foam rolling (I missed my foam roller!!!) and stretching. Today so far can't feel it so will try a run and see how it goes. Too close to VLM to be silly and risk anything. image

F