2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Hi guys. Not been on this thread before. Been checking the forums more and more as I get closer to my first marathon. Doing my L'est S'est R today. March hasnt been great as I lost a couple of weeks through illness. Even today I have woken with the symptoms of a mild cold and still have nagging cough from my chest infection. I will soldier on

I read these threads and see lots of people sticking closely to plans. Makes me worry (I've winged it. Aimed for one LSR per week plus 3 or 4 other runs of 4-10 miles with the 4-7 mile runs either done with speed bursts or as flat out tempo runs).

But bumped into a couple of people recently who are doing the VLM too. One has only run 13 mile due to a knee problem. The other only. Done 11 miles. Having said that he is a young guy who competed at county level. Still think he may struggle.

Anyway hope I get through my 22 miles today and then get well through my taper.
  • Not much running this week but a bit of playing around on the hills in snow.
    Heading north again this morning. Looks like the best weather is there too.

Welcome AK
    FWIW I too wing it and don't follow any fixed plan. Your loose plan sounds OK to me.

Too much to catch up on just now but good wishes to all starting to taper for VLM.

I'm now at opposite end of the cycle having to think about building up for Cape Wrath after post marathon and injury rest. Only one 8 mile run this week.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NP,

Not too sure at the mo.

Adam,

Hi & welcome to the thread.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    NN hope it's your plan B today for you.

Fiona thanks for brining the sun back with you it just needs to warm up now image

Welcome Adam hope your 22 miles go ok for you.

OH well done on the rest and fun in the snow base building againimage
  • NN hope your plan b, goes we'll to plan image

Fiona c as you say no point in any risks this close, hope the hip is felling better

OH enjoy taking it easy , with just one run

Rest day today but am heading to Malvern hills for a gentle bit of a walking in the snowimage
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Still cant post photos on here got an e-mail back from RW they say there is still an issue with some users?

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

mace great 11 miler - nice stats!

MG well done on the 14m. Enjoy the views on the walkimage

Stuart better safe than sorryimage

NP nice swim and easy 4 yesterday. I still can't post photos either.  Yesterday's run felt comfortable, but I can't break the habit of checking the Garmin every minute...image

NN hope one of the plans works!

Fiona nice 6m. Hope the hip is easing.

Adam welcome

OH hope the recovery continues

---

9m this morning with the club, all easy, then some strides.   

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Welcome Adam and hope the 22 went well. Your own plan sounds just fine.

I hope you are enjoying the rest OH, it's nice to recharge the batteries.

NP when I type it is tiny then goes to normal size when posted, must be something wrong with the system.

MG1 enjoy the walk.

Teknik nice easy run.image

7 miles easy for me, did lots more rolling/stretching and although I could feel it when running it is a lot better than yesterday image so will get a quality run done tomorrow.

F

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Tek, amazing break through moment, all the hard work is paying off

NN, well done getting a run in, hopefully it will be plan B

Fiona, welcome back, a lovely day out, what a difference a week makes, well done with the 7 and I hope the hip feels better after a bit of roiling

Adam, welcome to the thread and good luck with your training and race

OH, the rest will have done you some good

NP, nice swim and run yesterday, I'll need to see if I can upload a pic

Parkrun today and a 5 mile recovery run after, conditions were perfect and the grass was nice and short too. A new PB of 24:45ish to my name, a 2 minute improvement image
  • Stewart - Nice running, well done on the PBimage

Fiona - Nice run, hope the hip is ok

Tek - Good running

MG - Sounds like a good recovery day to meimage

Adam - Welcome. Good luck with the 22, and then taper

----------

Was tempted to go to Strathclyde parkrun and cruise round in 20.43 (that would have been 3 of my 4 PBs broken in 2 weeks, with only the marathon to sort out...) if i woke up early enough, but slept like a baby for once!

So it was gym for some upper body weights this morning, tried a set of light lunges, but my left knee wasn't up for that! Should be ok to run on, so I'm going to head out later on for 7.5.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Fiona nice 7m, and well done on the stretching and rolling.

Stewart great PB! Fantastic improvement imageimage

Stuart LOL. Take care. Hope that knee's ok

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

SM6, lol shame you missed parkrun today, a good cross training session and I hope you enjoyed the 7.5 

Photo uploading doesn't work for me either

• Welcome AK your plan looks good you are getting a medium long run done each week too if you are doing a 10 miler and I hope your 22 went well.

you see to be able to manage your niggles well are you doing your last 17 tomorrow
    STEWARTC  that is an amazing pb over a short distance good effort !!!
    SM6 you must have needed that sleep, hope the knee holds out for that run
    well done on the 9 miler 

OH the rest will do you good..enjoy it

MG1 have a nice walk in the snow (havent you seen enough of it already ?)

FIONA /NP hope your last LSR go well tomorrow 

Well I AM NOW OFFICAILLY TAPERING !!!!!!!plan B executed 21.5 miles in 3.14 HR a steady 75% of max all done after just 3 hours sleep !! dead chuffed, felt like I could have done the full 26.2

only down side is I have to work tonight,at least the clocks go forward so an hour less to work

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Xpost

NN, excellent effort, time for the madness to begin...

• StewartC wrote (see)

Xpost

NN, excellent effort, time for the madness to begin...

Oh yeah image I couldnt wait to start the taper but this time next week I will be moaning that I am feeling fat and lazy

• On my. That was hard. Took me 4h17m to do 22.5 miles. The last couple were very hard. Started out at 10min miles. Ended with 12min 30s. Did first 13 miles in 2h25m so pretty slow given I've done a HM in 2h4m six weeks ago. Turns out I couldn't even maintain that pace for next 10 miles.

This answers a lot if questions. Pointless me trying for 4h30m. Just can't maintain that pace in second half. May adjust to an uninspiring 5h target. I wouldn't have even made that today.
  • NN super long run, welcome to tapering club!

Sm6 hope the knee held up ok on the run

Fiona c I have become a fan of rollers as well, nice 7

Tek good 9 earlier, you must be pretty happy where you are right now

Nice stretch and walk up the hills with plenty of views plus snow , this winter feels the longest I can remember.
  • AK   I have just re read your first post if you are running with lingering symptoms of a chest infection no wonder you struggled whats been your longest run so far ? and those runners you bumped into..image well 11 and a 13..mmmm rather them than me, unless they are planning on just getting round in one piece VERY slowly !!

• macemace ✭✭✭

Great training everyone

Nurse - i was on the P&D thread for a bit early on but i was on HADD as well and here and i think it was too much for my pea brain to cope with image you know what they say about men and multi-tasking image 

welcome adam

glad the hip seems ok Fiona but have some healing vibes from me just in case image

Nearly through the first week of taper and i was chomping at the bit during this morning's recovery. Can't wait to get out tomorrow whatever the weather image  

• macemace ✭✭✭

adam - just picked up on Nurse's comment. If you have had a chest infection it will be tough work. I had a chest infection end Jan / start Feb and i found it really tough. Motivation out the window and i dreaded every run. With the benefit of hindisght i should have taken time off. I bombed out at 16M around that time doing my first 20 miler and i didn't feel 100% for a week or so after taking anti-biotics.

So don't despair, you clearly aren't on top form at the moment and with good reason.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Adam,

If you've had a chest infection I'd take things easy until fully recovered.

-----------

Well done on everyone's training.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Adam well done on your long run but if your cold is still on your chest you shouldn't run at all, take care as this would have effected your run.

Fiona great news about the roller doing its job and nice running this morning.

NN that's a fantastic long run in the bank and now taper time image

Drove down and spent the day with my son and daughter in law and grandaughter great day image everything ready and I place for my final 22 mile run tomorrow morning image
  • Thanks for feedback re chest infection. Certainly haven't shaken it off completely but feel 90percent. Didn't feel I suffered today due to heart and lung problems. Felt more like very very stiff joints. Don't really understand it to be honest. I've done about 8+ 15+miles, including three of 20 or more. Today was way the hardest. Maybe it was a bit more undulating than my normal flat course.
  • AK with those long runs in the bank you have nothing to worry about , but please make sure you spend the next 3 weeks looking after yourself and recovering from that chest infection.

NP its nice to spend quality time with the children and grandchildren isnt it ? mine are the only people allowed to interfere with my trainingimage have a good long run ..image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    The grandaughter is just spoilt rotten and is gorgeous, I think it's because she is the first and due to the fact that I have three sons. Well this run is a complete rehearsal same food last night, breakfast done and starting to settle going an hour later due to the clocks. For the past 5 long runs and medium long runs I've not taken any gels, just water so I will practice my fuelling on this run which should mean I feel good towards the end image
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN super last long run - nice statsimage

Adamimage like the others said...

MG glad you enjoyed the walk in the hills

mace you sound like you're in good shape

HM hiimage

NP hope the last long one went ok

---

Bit jealous of you lot starting your tapers.  Bagged another slow 20 miler this morning.  Picked a route without checking the elevation and had to tough out a long 2 mile hill.  Av 71%maxHR, bit of drift at the end.  Felt tired too - no gels yet, plus that Half is still in my legs. Glad I'm home.

Big Month has ended!  277m (-2) @ av. 8:45 (-0.13) @ av. 73%maxHR (unch.) PB at 5k and Half M.image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Hi & well done on the month's stats

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Stewart fab PB, well done!! imageimage

Stuart, I hope your knee was ok for the run?

NN well done on the last long run, a great feeling to finish so strong!image

MG1 I hope the snow is just on the hills and not lower down! I couldn't agree more, winter has been tough this year.

mace that's a good sign that you are full of energy in the taper! Hope you get a run today.

NP I hope your weather was as nice as here this morning - -3 but a stunning day, blue skies etc.

Adam no doubt the lurgy playing it's part but some days the run just feels tougher but it is all miles in the bank so don't despair. image

Teknik how many more long runs have you got, is it 2? Well done on toughing out the hill.

Normally at this time I'd be doing a 24 but as that was met with looks of horror last week at training camp I did the session recommended by Nick Anderson; 2 mile warm up, 13 miles at MP, 2 mile cool down. I just had to make the 13 a 13.1! Ran that on the Inverness half course that I did 2 weeks back. Felt ok and stopped to stretch a couple of times but hip feels no worse that when I started and no need for drugs! image Foam rolled like a mad thing last night.

Is anyone else taking supplements pre VLM? I went a bit mad and got cod liver oil, glucosamine & general multivitamins for sporty peopleimage - oh and bought First Defence so if anyone sneezes, coughs or breathes near me I can have some. Probably all a waste of money but it makes me happy! image

F

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Oooh stats! March 258.14 miles image at av pace 7:48mm and 161 HR. Time 33hr, 32min and 38s. HM PB, my first PB in a long time!!

HM4 any running this weekend? image

F

• AK hope the recovery from the lurgy is continuing

Tek well done on the 20 and the great month of training image

Fiona nice 13, I guess anything that makes you feel better about yourself this close has to be good image

5 miles verry slow this morning with a couple of near race pace intervals included - Easter eggs been baned for me this year too much temptation and no will power image