Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

I can't believe it, shocking image

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Thoughts go out to them all, what an awful experience for all the people taking part a very sad day for running, reminds me of 1988 in Lisburn here. image
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Awful news about the poor lad at Brighton image and then this at Boston. Beggars belief it really does image

I'm back in work today so at lunch will have a read back and go over my stats for Sunday. Will do a report later on today.

Hope the weekend's racers are recovering ok
  • Options

One of the dead is an 8 year old boy.image

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Nurse - That really hits home with my 3 boys being at the finish on Sunday and not much older than him. Devastating. Fingers x'd for you, you deserve to run and run well.

MG - Solid splits, excellent run, thanks for the report and CONGRATULATIONS !!! image

Stewart - Great report, thanks. I can fully relate to some parts of your race now. CONGRATULATIONS !!! image

Stuart - Jeez dude,you have absolute guts to go through that from mile 16 and have my total respect. I was thinking after my race " how on earth do people manage to run so far then have to walk, it must be torture " Be proud of yourself and CONGRATULATIONS image

Re the cramping did you take on enough water ? I'm also with AGF and Tek, sounds like you maybe pushed a tad too much which seems to be enough to punish you later on. And maybe you need to do some more LT runs to raise the HR bar and make it sustainable. It's amazing how they make MP feel easier, something i didn't really appreciate properly until NP got me thinking about it.

NP - half mile swim in taper !? ... my hat's off to you mate.

Tek - nice recovery

Fiona - you'll be great, enjoy the run

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

I'm still shocked, and I don't know what to say.  Didn't feel much like running today, but managed 5m steady.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    4 miles with half mile blocks at MP for a total of 1.5 miles image
  • Options

Cant defer now, seems a pathetic excuse in the grand scheme of things, a niggle in ankle, when people have died and lost legs.

Sunday will be a very moving day for all..

Did pilates this morning no spinning or anything else now(apart from pilates tomorrow) till Sunday

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Good luck all vlm runners, I will be watching and stalking if you post your race numbersimage
  • Options

Ok Mr Stewart I have finished my marathon you still have to do yours smug face image

Is there a list

Night Nurse..7183

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Added to list:

NN 7183

No Pain 30752
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Fiona,

No.  I thought I posted up the last session I did sorry if I didn't.  It was an attempt at doing 100 push ups, however Chris distracted me when I was counting so I either did 80 or 100 (I was counting in 20s).  I've tried to do full push ups however it's just too much for the shoulder I broke.  I guess I could always try & do one armed push ups but don't want to create an imbalance.

----------

Well done on everyone's training & good luck to those travelling to VLM.  Hope the security arrangements don't get in the way of the enjoyment of the day.  It's very sad to hear about Boston.  Why do people do things like that?!

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

HM4 ah yes, I do recall that session, just did not realise that was the last. Well done! image

NN I thought the same about us and our 'injuries' - puts it all into perspective really.

The list...image

NN         7,183
    No Pain 30,752
    Fiona C 28,738

Another rest day, will do some stretching etc image

F

• Options
    Will be following you guys on Sunday , I am sure it will be emotional, sounds like all runners will be getting a black ribbon to wear which is a nice touch.

One of my brothers and a nephew are running, one of them aiming for sub 3 hr the other 3.15 , hope to get in next year.

4 mile very easy run tonight just to loosen the legs which were a bit tighter this morning, overal the legs feel okay.
  • Options
    The whole bomb stuff makes me sick to the core...

Yes.... Looking forward to seeing your progress at the weekend. Positive thoughts being sent to all those with niggles image
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Brighton Marathon - Sunday 14 April

Pretty much a year after entering the 2013 Brighton Marathon on opening day last April, the time had finally arrived for my first Marathon.

The build up, apart from about 30 missed miles due to a chest infection end of Jan, was trouble free and it was time to put 34 weeks of HADD base building then 18 weeks of P&D 70 mile plan to the test.

My target time had gradually been shrinking along the way from an initial tentative  estimate of 4:30 last April to a feeling sometime around end of Feb that I could be looking at the previously un-imaginable heights of 3:15. This would play over and over in my mind for the next 4 weeks. It was a tight one to call and several times I thought of being sensible but finally decided very recently that I had to see what I was capable of and test myself to what I perceived my limit.  

So I arrived with my wife and 3 kids at the Preston Park start right opposite the hotel we were staying in at about 8.30 and after a nose around made my way to the Red start pen. Quick chat with a more senior lady ( who I gave my gloves to as her hands were cold ) and we were off.

Before the starting gun had gone off I’d made 3 mistakes …. the first was that although I could have got close to the 3:15 pacers right at the front of the pen I chose to stay about 50 yards back. Why do that when you want to be paced ? The second was that I’d set my Garmin to show “current lap pace” and “Time-average lap” the latter of which would give me my average cumulative pace throughout the run ….. provided I turned of my normal autolap setting !! And the third mistake was I refused the 3:15 pacing band at the Expo the day before, thinking I didn’t need one as I had my Garmin. Why not take such an unobtrusive item  and carry it just in case ?

Miles 1 – 5

The pacer had told me the day before that he wouldn’t be altering pace on uphills and downhills but would stick to 3:15 pace. With the first half mile uphill I took it easy which although sensible, by the end of it I was now probably 45 seconds off the pacers. Just as I was about to hit LAP at the end of mile 1 on the garmin the autolap kicked in and I realised I’d forgotten to switch it off !!  So, not only am I off the pace but I’ve now got to use my brain more than I’d planned. Shame I didn’t have a nice simple pacing band on my wrist !!!  After another 4  miles of varying undulations we’re through the city and heading east along the seafront into a noticeable wind.

7:49 7:23 7:31 7:16 7:32     149 152 151 153 152

Miles 6-10

Tuck in where I can and try to stabilise effort/pace on the undulations. Fairly uneventful apart from one lad who’s sat on a wall around the u-turn in Ovingdean tying his laces. Up to now I’ve been taking water at each station, sipping some and pouring what I didn’t drink on myself to keep cool. The water was provided in Iconiq water pouches – I like them a lot and had tested them at the Expo. Comfortable to carry and drink from. Saw the Elites “flying” back towards Brighton. WOW !!   

7:28 7:25 7:23 7:27 7:24     151 152 150 152 151

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Miles 11 – 15

It was around mile 11 we headed back to Brighton. Up to now I hadn’t seen the 3:15 pacer at all. Thinking back I don’t know how this was possible considering the u turn road in Ovingdean was easily long enough to see them coming back. I must have been concentrating too hard at the water station and didn’t see them ? One chap had taken a pit stop at the edge of the cliff in full view of runners and spectators which was amusing some of the kids.

Just after, a 38 year old called Matt pulled up alongside me and after a few moments I struck up a conversation. He was targeting 3:30 and we chatted away for a couple of miles until he dropped back around 14. I calculated as we got to half way we were around 40 seconds off 3:15 pace and told him this which was why he dropped off. No sign at all of the pacers ahead though !? Interestingly my HR stats show that for the time I was chatting to Matt my HR dropped 3-4 beats !! No significant elevation change so interesting that talking to him seems to have relaxed me and then when he dropped off it goes up again.

7:24 7:28 7:22 7:21 7:20    151 147 148 152 156   

Miles 16 – 20

Up to this point I felt totally in control but realised I’d missed a water station somehow around 15 when we turned off the Kingsway into the Grand Avenue/Church Rd loop and spent the next few miles cursing myself. By 18 as we go I started to feel it a tad in the tops of my quads and I’m convinced missing the water was partly the cause. Pace maintained up to 20 going to the power station and I’ve passed loads of runners who are walking/stretching at the roadside. But now I think I’ve edged over my Lactate Threshold and the quads are starting to complain.

7:21 7:20 7:20 7:19 :7:18   157 157 159 158 160

Miles 21 – FINISH

The last of my 5 gels was downed at 20 as we head to the power station and by the time we get to 22 I’m wishing I’d carried one more. We reach a Cliff shot/gel station and despite saying before I wasn’t taking anything new I’m grabbing anything on offer !!  Literally stuffing chews and gels in my pockets and gel belt. WTF !!??? Cliff gel down the hatch and I thank the Lord I’m hanging onto a water pouch … without it I’m certain it would have set in my throat and finished me off, them things are DENSE L.  I give it my last shot at working out in my head where I am in relation to the pacer but I can’t work out 22 x 7 with any degree of confidence ….. AND I’M A FRIKIN CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT  !!!!!  Why oh why did I refuse the pace band ?

Into mile 23 and it’s hurting. I turn onto the promenade and into the wind and see nobody in front for what seems like 10 miles but is probably 100 yards. Thoughts of walking are now nagging me but the spectators remain superb and a string of about 6 or 7  kids hold their hands out for high 5’s … the cheers from them as I went along the line high fiving was unforgettable.

What I didn’t know was at this point I was probably no more than 20 seconds off pace but the pacers were out of sight and by mile 24 I’d given up on 3:15. If I’d had something to tag onto into the wind I think I’d have had a chance to throw the kitchen sink at it for the last two but all I could hang on to .....

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

was walkers and runners who were slowing more than me. This made the last 2 very very tough and beyond what I’d imagined and the target now was to finish for my family and friends who were waiting.

As I approached the pier the noise from the masses at the finish was overwhelming  and something that will stay with me for a long time.

Quads on fire for the last 400 it was head down and the end of an incredible experience in 3:16:52

On reflection I’m absolutely delighted with this run and I think I’ve learned a huge amount over the last year. I thought 3:15 was my limit and that was about right because I couldn’t have given much more if anything.

I’LL HAVE IT NEXT TIME THOUGH image

7:21 7:27 7:34 7:49 8:18 +bits   162 164 165 165 167 164 ….

Ave 7:31 @ 156 (85.2%)

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Love the report mace. image Great detail and an absolutely fantastic run. For me it is always a blur once I finish!

Made me think about the Garmin. In previous years I have used autolap which is inaccurate (the distance on my garmin always around 26.64 miles) but when I switch it off I totally forget to press lap at the right time. I press it when I remember but not ideal. May just use time elasped and a band - any thoughts from others running on Sunday?

What did others use at their races - Stuart/Stewart/MG1?

F

• Options
    Mace , excellent report, you did a great job on Sunday , after my run i really can appreciate how good that time is. Funny even with all the best planing how is it to forget to do something pre race or during the race as I found myself.
  • Options
    Mace. That is a terrific write up. Brilliant. I ran Brighton last year and had a similar positive experience. (If a little slower). The good thing about Brighton is that sub 3:40 you have plenty of room to run ... Yet lots of support as the course passes the centre a few times. You see your family a few times if lucky too.

Well done. That's some improvement in 52 weeks. It also give me hope for Berlin in 23 weeks time.

I think the drop of HR may also be connected to you running with wind behind in a section just before half way that is net down hill. That said brilliant pacing and a very very well judged run. The thing hadd gives you is an awareness of your body and you used that image

What's next ? image
  • Options
    Ps... For a first marathon that's and brilliant run!!! Outstanding !!
  • Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Fantastic race report Maceimage.  Great splits and I'm very jealous of how flat your HR was - no drift at all until mile 15, and then not much of a rise anyway!  Well done matey. Sub 3 next timeimage

• Options
    Fiona, used both on Sunday , did find the band useful as a few times I missed picking up the lap times so had a quick glance down at the band.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

Cheers guys and a big thanks to you all for your input on this thread it really is great for motivation and picking up all sorts of tips.

AGF, yes i think you're right about the wind and a slight net downhill for those miles. Next will be walking down stairs the right way, hopefully tomorrow. image 

Fiona - the "Time-ave lap" is the way to go i'm sure and would have been fine if i'd turned auto lap off. What a dumb mistake.

Tek - i think i've been HADDING a bit longer than you ? Also i got straight into HADD from casual running whereas you've got a few bad Mara campaigns/experiences behind you before switching to HADD and maybe you need to get that out of your system. You're bound to flatten out as you have the dedication and confidence to stick with it.

I think it'll be rest for me maybe until next Monday although i'm starting to get restless image. And i want to get my first parkrun done soon - any suggestions on how long i should leave it until doing one ?

After that, HADD easy for a while and get back to some Sub-LT stuff then some target races

Brighton 2014 entry opened today ....image

EDIT - Tek - sub 3 !!!!?? image

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭

I'd love to know what the 3:15 pacers went through in ... i'll be gob-smacked if they were bang on. Anyone know how i can find out ?

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Mace that's a great report and not only will you go sub 3:15 you can go sub 3 hours you have a massive first base which to build on from here. Also you have learned a lesson as we all do not only on. The first marathon but on all the ones that we do after that.
  • Options

Mace  a great report, it amazes me how runners remember so much of a race, all I ever remember are any massive hills or bad weather, and what a gent , giving that lady your gloves image.

The pace and HR are spot on, very impressive I shall be back to hadding after VLM thats for sure, and very lucky that the alternative source of fuel didnt upset you at that late stage when the tummy feels really delicate image

A very big well done indeed  !!!!!

Brighton is one I shall be looking at for next year if I dont get my sub 4 GFA this Sunday

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Mace, an excellent report, and a brilliant race, you are right to be delighted with your time, you will smash 3:15 next time out,

Fiona, I used auto lap, which turned out to be fairly accurate, always within a few metres of the markers, I tended to have heart rate and lap pace displayed for most of the run.