2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• NP sorry to hear of your gut problems but I'm impressed that you still finished!Well done!

Fiona Jason Sophie
    Well done

imageimageimageimage

imageimage

No running for me today - 9 nautical miles insteadimageimage

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Home at last. Lets just say i was beaten by the conditions and have the sunburn to prove it. Autumn marathons are far more preferable!

I cant really complain with a 6 min PB but just felt I had more in me than a 2.43. Still, a few months ago I would have bitten your hand off for a sub 2.45 and that was always the main goal so mission accomplished.

However, it hurt today. Last 6 miles were horrible. Ive always ran such comfortable marathons with negative splits that today was a lesson that was due. Still, Champs start for next year.

On another note, people are right - there's nothing quite like the atmosphere of London. The crowds were incredible! Just wish I could have enjoyed it and soaked it up more.

Thanks for the shout out Mace. I did hear you if it was at the bridge by Embankment station but i was in a world of pain at that point but your support was appreciated.

• Jason - Great running. 2.50 in any conditions is some going!image

Fiona - Well done on the shiny new PBimage 3 and a half minutes off, after the recent injury concerns is absolutely amazing!image

Sophie - That's a great time! Well doneimage

NP - Sorry to hear about the tough dayimage I was watching the times on the computer, and was hoping I had the wrong number when i seen things going awry just at the 25k split.

I know how you feel about putting yourself through the training again (I felt the same this time last week!!) but chin up and enjoy the holiday!image

Tek - Good going! 3:2x is gonna be a piece of cakeimage

OH - Is that 9 miles in the kayak? Surely not? That must take forever?

------------

Quite enjoyed watching the London marathon on the the TV, hopefully get the chance to run it sometime soon! Was good seeing others feeling the way I felt last weekimageimage

Rest day for me. 18 frames of pool was as close to exercise as I got todayimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Johnas- Beaten by the conditions? A 6min and sub 2.45 PB. Give youself a slap!imageOnce again, a great PB in tough conditions- well doneimageimage

NP- sorry to hear you had such a rubbish day, mateimage You deserved much better after the effort and commitment you've shown. That's marathon running for youimageimage Have a good break and see how you feel afterwards.

Fiona- nice running- and a BIG well done on a BIG PB! image Sure you'll do well in the F35s next year too

mace- thanks for the shoutimage There was so much noise at 25 though! Fantastic. We'll have to meet up next time. Really good meeting the rest of you guysimage

HM4- well done for getting out for the runimage

SM6- hope you enjoyed the pool- nice to have a break- sorryimage

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭
    Awesome splits johnas image
  • Hi

Teknik - yes my first image I need to give it a few days before deciding if it's going to be my last too as I am having trouble getting around right now haha. But in all seriousness, you guys are amazing. I will need to get some tips from you all on your training. I would love to run a 3.30. That shall be my next challenge, so any advice on training for that welcomed. I will not stop until I reach that time- my boyfriend hates it :0 lol

Sophie

• macemace ✭✭✭

Sophie - a good tip i picked up on here is to take the downstairs backwards for a couple of day image 

jason - first time at VLM for me, i was very impressed with the support

Johnas - yep, that was me right as you went under the bridge, my son picked your number out just as you got to us ... i have to admit to being a tad confused as your hair colour in your profile pic is mis-leading !!??

• Chucking it down and blowing a galeimage

Well done Johnasimage

Have a good well earned rest today NP, Sophie, Fiona, Jason, Johnas

SM6 That's a rest dayimage???
    Sea kayak generally can do 3-4kts cruising. 9nm would be be a fairly standard afternoon trip but it was longest trip so far this year due to all the cr*p weather so last couple of miles were tough.

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

NP, gutted for you mate, enjoy your holiday

Sophie, well done a cracking time

Tek, another great run, enjoy the taper

Johnas, awesome time well done

SM6, how are you? recovering well

OH, a nice way to see the Island, 

I enjoyed watching the London marathon on the telly, got to say it looks like an awesome race and the atmosphere must be amazing, maybe one day, well done too all that raced yesterday, it looked hot out there.

After getting my fix on the box I went out for a six mile trudle down the riverside and along the canal. the sun was out but is was a bit windy, I got a little carried away and ran it a little to fast for a recovery run image

Stats: 6.5mi, 1:08, @10:30mm, 154(81%) 

• Well I didnt run VLM but still had a brilliant weekend

It was brilliant meeting Jason NP  Anita and Fiona and her sister .

Fiona I tried to spot you when I though you may be at half way but didnt see you..well done awesome well done on that PB...especially after the last couple of weeks and that bloody hammy playing up..I hope you enjoy your last couple of days in London..

Jason I looked out for you too but you must have been running too fast..well done much deserved after all those miles and running 4 times on Christmas day image as I said on Saturday it was reading that that prompted me to de lurk and make my first post on here..image

Johnas and Sophie welcome and well done for yesterday

NP sorry to hear you had a bad run, I am glad you heard me scream at you at half way..you put so much into this marathon and deserved more back..have a lovely holiday forget the marathon and move on.. x

I had a brilliant day watching, I had a few I had to look out for but only spotted 2, NP and my brother..

my brother got his 4.15 plus  (48 secs) which is a massive 20 min PB..very proud of him we nearly lost him to cancer a few years ago at the age of 34 so its very emotional to see him so well..lots of tears at the end ...and lots of money raised for children with cancer..it was far far more important that he ran it than me..I wouldn't have swapped places with him yesterday for all the money in the world..

I am back running easy now thank christ did easy 5 today and only only feel ankle on the downhill, so will build up from here

• macemace ✭✭✭

Stewart - you seem to come out of your race really well, but all i keep reading is that this period after a Mara is a very vulnerable one where it's easy to feel super-human and do some serious damage. I hope you don't get too carried away mate.

Total for me last week was about 10 x 1M walking and 2 x 60-65% recovery runs totalling 6.5M .... i think i could be taking it a bit too easy image

Nurse - superb stuff from your brother, i bet that was a real tear jerker at the finish image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Mace, that is the plan, trying to keep it easy over the next few weeks gradually building the mileage back up

NN, glad you had a good day spectating, and a big well done to your brother, good news that the ankle is starting too feel better
  • NN - Well done to your brother! Glad your feeling better nowimage

Mace - Sounds like a sensible approach, easing back in carefully is the name of the game right now I think.

Stewart - I'm good, ankle that was troubling me before Lochaber still isn't right so I'm not running for now. Might not run again this month, going to get plenty of cross training in though!

Another good run from you, I agree with Mace that you might want to take it slightly easier though.

OH - 4 knots seems a bit quicker than I expected to be honest, fair enoughimage

----------

1km swim today

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH well done in the kayakimage

Stuart nice cross trainingimage

Sophie stick on the thread - plenty of good advice here. 

mace sounds like you had a great day out supporting!

Stewart nice recovery.  I'd forget about the HRM for a week or two as it's just plain depressing straight after a mara.  Stick to 5k +3 mins per mile until your legs feel half normal...image

NN congrats to your brother. Well done on the 5 miler and glad the ankle is turning a corner (oooh worse than Jason)

Jason are you going to rest at all or are you straight back on it?

---

3.60m recovery jog this afternoon at 70%maxHR - 8:31mm. I feel like it's all coming together now...image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    NN that's great news for your brother image

Well I had a day around the shops supporting my OH in her hobby shopping lol. legs feel great but Anita now has a couple of blisters on her feet.

Thanks for all the words of support its just been one of those things I have a few half marathons now planned out for June and July in my build up to the WPFG so I will be back into the running by the end of next week all be it short and along a beachimage I will try to post now and again whilst away and when back home build my long runs back up to 18/20 miles image
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    F35 I wish jason! It'll be F45 for me in 2 weeks time.

NP great that you have the World Champs to focus on.

Teknik it certainly does sound like it's coming together. Only 2 weeks?

Sensible plan to make sure the ankle is recovered Stuart.

NN your brother did really well. I tried to see you but the crowds were so big and at that point I was not feeling too well!

Nice run Stewart, I hope the weather up there is ok.

Sounds a bit wild in Orkney OH.

Well done Jonas and Sophie.

A nice day here, went walking on Hampstead Heath, head home later tomorrow.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NP,

Sorry to hear about your tummy problems.  Well done on getting round.

-----------

Well done guys & great reports.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Fiona your never going to be 45image I'm only 21 lol.

HM4 thank you.
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Quick question will I be able to use my GFA time from 2011 or will I now have to run sub 3:15 again to qualify?
  • NP, I think you need to re-qualify image
  • What a fantastic experience, made even better by my first ever sub 4 hr marathon and a PB by 20 minutes at the age of 58. I have to put much of it down to a Strength & Conditioning coach who took me under his wing and prepared me in a way that a number of RW forum sceptics questioned when I posted about it a few months ago. He basically got me to cut back on my midweek interval & speed work, replacing it with gym work - essentially plyometrics and power work such as squats, lunges, glute work etc. The idea was to build strength and power which would benefit me at VLM without compromising my endurance mileage at weekends. In fact during the 4 'key' months of training my mileage never got above 90 with the lowest at 68. It worked perfectly. My 10k splits were 58min/57/56/55 and my quickest 5k splits were between 30-40k! I got stronger as I went, hit no wall and will forever more argue that 1. You don't necessarily become a stronger runner by just running and 2. Less is very often more!
  • Tek nice HR stats ..what are your fueling plans for the race ? are you cutting down on the carbs for a few days then loading ? where is the Autumn marathon race list ?
    just wondering who is doing what and where ?
    SM6 these sodding ankles eh !!! well done on the swim

Bob well done on the sub 4..nice run and whatever works for you...and 58 is no age..image 

Fiona I will gladly swap age categories with you..image
    Stewart / mace nice easy recovery for at least a couple of week..a day a mile for most

NP AGF is right I am afraid..bloody harsh eh ? unless your club has places on offer ? I ran with a club place for my first London..then a deferred ballot place 2 years later as I chose to do Paris instead, then GFA twice..next time it will be this years deferred place..what is it about London that keeps us wanting more ?image

• No Pain - great to get the chance to meet you on Sunday. Who would have believed that we would end up sitting next to each other on the grass in the FGFA pen?

Sorry to hear your race didn't go as planned after you had put some much training into it. I know I am at the obsessive end of the spectrum but I actually take the breakfast I normally have with me and eat it in the hotel room!

Race report:

Having had a great VLM last year I had no fixed time in mind this year and was not aiming for a pb.

My targets were:

• Raise money for charity for the first time
    • Run in memory of my Dad
    • Try and (hopefully) enjoy the process

Having said all that I guess I would be disappointed if I didn't do GFA and my training was pointing towards 3:05 to 3:10

Did my usual pre-race routine which doesn't change and includes two pieces of my Mum's flapjack an hour before the start time.

The half minute silence was immaculately upheld and was in fact quite moving.

First 8 miles went pretty much to plan and I made a deliberate effort to soak up the atmosphere and acknowledge the crowd when they called out my name - including high fiving any children who were eagerly holding out their hands.

Then at mile 9 it all went pear shaped.

I was running in a straight line on a straight part of the course with plenty of room around me and no other runner close. There were no hazards or water stations and I was running at a constant pace. I suddenly felt the presence of a runner close behind me and before I could wonder why some clown was that close behind me with all the space around me he tripped me from behind.

I went down and manged to roll into it and was straight back up but had taken a real hit. Shoulder was the worst but with abrasions down all my right side and a sore knee. 

Things not looking good but this year I was doing it for charity and really had to finish.

Settled down and refocussed backed off the pace a bit and went through the half in a conservative 1:29.

13 to 16 is always the worst for me and now my shoulder is really stiffening up and I have had a sharp twinge from my injured knee.

Decide that I will have to get a bit more serious just to finish this so not too much crowd interaction again until the Embankment.

Grind out the intervening miles and when I get to The Embankment relax and get back to interacting with the crowd, the odd high five and exchanging a few words.

I make sure I see Julie on the corner by Big Ben and then to the finish with more ackknowledging of the crowds support. Spare a few thoughts for my Dad as I cross the line and Job done 03:03.

Been working all day (gardening) and a brisk short run tonight just to loosen up the legs. Other than a very sore shoulder everything fine. The added bonus is that despite being significantly slower this year I was still in the Top 10 and because 3 of the others were outside the UK I am in fact RunBritain ranked No6 - my highest ever!!!

• Stuart well done on the cross training

Tek nice recovery run

Sophie , Tek is right lots of useful advice on here has helped me over the last 6 months

NP enjoy your hols

5 miles for me tonight at average 7.49 with fasterest mile at 7.09, cant remember the last time i ran a mile split that fast am going to have a few weeks of trying to improve my speed and keep ticking over on med / long runs

Am going to enter the Jersey M in October , anyone else ran it?
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    One gear couldn't get over sitting next to you in the FGFA pen and well done for keeping going after the fall and that's great going. It was a pleasure meeting you and an inspiration.

MG1 great running well done.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    NN- well done to your brother image

OG- well done on the run and the report! There seem to be a lot of people at VLM who run like tossers, swerving in front without warning, clipping ankles etc etc. I had a few near misses too....Glad there was no real harm done

NP- hate to agree with the others, mate, but next year's GFA will need a qualifying time from 2012 or 2013. No problem though- When's your next race? image Looked out for you in the starting pen too....

No running today image carbs back on board this morning and early afternoon, back to low carbs from this evening- piri piri mackerel, cucumber and baby plum tomatoes for dinner- lots of healthy oils and muscle repairing protein image
  • No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Think I might give next year a miss and go for a GFA time later in the year.....
  • NP go for GFA  later this year or next year ? ..see over it alreadyimage it was only a few posts ago you said you were never going to race another marathon image

Jason enjoy the carbs you deserve them...and its surprising the number of runners (for want of a better word) and foolish things that some do that as a spectator you see out on the course,  I know fund raisers are important and I hate to put anyone down but people do need to have more respect for others (and themselves)..conversation overheard on the train " well I have done 14 in training so will run 14 then jog the rest of the way ' image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭
    NN-carbs over image

NP- enjoy some time out, mate - sure you can fill the time somehow- then come back fresh image
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    NP, one other thing- it's sub 3.10 if you're 21 image