2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• macemace ✭✭✭

Tek - well if it is a bug and coupled with the ridiculous temperature, that's shockingly bad luck all round. You've got a great base anyway so a few days off to make sure you're rid of it will do you no harm.

I'm seriously considering an October marathon.

Had a look at Amsterdam but wouldn't go without the family and the cost of flights + accomodation looks image UK possibilities are Chester which i've heard good things about and also Abingdon so i've made enquiries and put my name on the standby list for that as it's currently full. 

• Tek, glad your okay sounds like we're dam unlucky ! Great to hear you are ready to go again for the autumnimage

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Fiona & Stewart,

Thanks.  This is mainly affecting my sinus & ears.

Tek,

Don't blame you.  I'd be feeling the same.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Well just about to set off to the airport just waiting on the OH image we both don't want to leave, truth is I've been looking at diving jobs here and it would be so easy its something I have alwaloo had an eye on for my retirement so who knows for 2014/15.

on the heat front i could get used to running in it here but it takes time to adjust and I'm just getting to that point now after two weeks.

cach up soon .image

• Tek good to see you back
    "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" (Nietzsche)

• NP, I take it your somewhere tropical, we did the same a few years ago,  running in the humidity would take a while to get used to

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Been in Grand Cayman for the last 14 days in the airport now to fly home image....

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Safe trip home NP. image

Teknik sounds like the ideal time to take it easy for a while before Frankfurt training starts.

Good to see you getting back to it mace.

10 miles on the turbo for me tonight. image

F

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Mace, enjoy the parkrun trial, well done with the 9 miles

Tek, that explains a lot, hope you start feeling better soon rest up and you will be back at it.

NP, you would miss all the hail rain wind and snow...... 

Fiona, nice turbo session

----------------------

10 mile run tonight, along some of the HM route, felt like crap in the second mile but I soon picked up after a hill.

stats: 10mi, 1:41:22, 10:12mm, avgHR 148(78%)

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

mace I now think it was the bug, not the weather. Flaking in the hot sun at mile 20, yes, not at mile 10.  I've spent the day in bed and everything aches...

HM wish you well soon!

MG and OH thanksimage

Fiona nice turbo - I'm taking your advice...

Stewart thanks - nice 10 miler last night.

NP welcome back

===

Reminder of the races coming up...image

13/05/13 Cape Wrath Half             OH
    18/05/13 Cape Wrath                    OH
    19/05/13 Hook 2.5                         HM

• Tek - Get well soon.....you will be strong on your return - but rest up now !!

NP - you only live once - so if you both fancy it - why not !!

All well here. A couple of days off just to rest. Was going to do a 10k Last night but felt tired so gave it a miss. 10 Miles today and felt Fresh. Threw in a faster mile for fun....now off for sports massage. Then want to do another 3x50+ mile weeks before holiday in early June !!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Thanks.

--------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Tek hope you are feeling a bit better and the bugs are going

AGF well done on the 10 earlier

Fiona good turbo work

Stewart nice 10 earlier on 

Rest for me today again, 3 days of inactivity imageas I have been struggling to get rid of the lurgy fully  so thought it was best to have break ,like to be back out on Saturday 

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

A beautiful day today, out at 6am and did 5 miles. A bit of gardening tonight. Enjoying just taking it easy for a while.

I hope the lurgies go soon Teknik and MG1, good that you are both resting. 

Not long til the holidays AGF! image

F

• Tek - that would certainly explain events.image

AGF - sounds like you enjoyed it todayimage

Southern beach holiday for us - off to Durness on Saturday image

Beautiful evening here - last 8.4 miles run before Cape Wrath ...image

PS May be out of touch next week. Even mobile phone signal is patchy.

• eh up folks; first post on this thread...

already run 17 marathons, most recent being a PB by 1 minute at Milton Keynes on Monday (4:12:15). Next up will be one or two in October, hopefully Palma being one...

Also looking to complete a set of PBs for the year; I've done 10k, 1/2M, 30k, 20mi and 26.2, just need to add 5k (later this month) and 10mi (July) and maybe a 50k if I find one!

• Welcome Iccle Jim image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Tek, hope you're feeling better soon

OH, good luck with Cape Wrath HM and full enjoy the week image well done with the 8 this evening

AGF, well done with the 10 mile run, 

MG, you're right to rest, hopefully you will be fully recovered by the weekend

Fiona, it has been a nice day apart from the hail storm around 4pm, well done with the early run and the gardening

-------------------------------------

JS run tonight with the six mile group, there was only four of us and it was considerably faster than Tuesday, in truth a little quick for me at the moment, it was the first time in a long while I've been pushed on a JS run, 

Stats: 6.45mi, 57:14, @8:52mm, avgHR 167(87%)

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Stewart yes the heavy hail was bizzare when it was so mild! image Good running at JS.

OH good luck with Cape Wrath, I hope it stays mild and dry for you, look forward to the reports.

Welcome Iccle Jim image Well done on so many PBs!

Very tired this morning, no early run image will get out later.

F

• macemace ✭✭✭

Fiona, Stewart, AGF - good 10'ing all round, must be something in the air image

Tek - sounds like it mate, but the temperature won't have helped having had zero chance to acclimatise to it and training all winter ( and into spring ) in that sub zero, windy, snowy, rainy crap . Training won't be wasted though and will make you stronger. What else would you have done all winter other than lay in, sit in front of the fire, getting fat and un-fit image Hope you recover quick

MG - hope the lurgy's gone for the weekend

OH - all the best for Cape Wrath, go and smash it image

IJ - welcome image you make running marathons sound like shelling peas image good luck with the pb's, hopefully if you stick around you'll get some help in doing so. We'll certainly be rooting for you.

Did my Sunday 12 miler this morning as i'm away in Liverpool this weekend to see West Ham take on Everton at Goodison. Moyes last game for them so will be a good one.

A couple mile warm-up before parkrun tomorrow will see me up to 37M for the week , so that will be 7-21-32-37 in the 4 weeks since Brighton.

Good weekend all.

• I've been hanging round the 4:30 thread for quite a few years, but now it seems my marathon pace is quicker than most of their 1/2M or 10k races, so maybe it's time to chat elsewhere!

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Mace, those mileages are starting to creep up again,  

IJ, Welcome to the thread

• Iccle Jim - Welcomeimage Nice work on the PBs this year so farimage

Mace - Good running for the week. Enjoy the football.

Stewart - Well done on a tough run

OH - Good luck for next weekimage

MG & Tek - Hope you guys are well soon

AGF - Excellent running, good to see things are coming back together.

------------

Been lazy all week, done nothing since the gym on Tuesday. Got out for a run this morning.

7.35 miles @ 10:17 ave. 151 ave HR

Very slow but not too bad, I guess it's roughly current 5k pace +3. Last time I ran that route I was 17 minutes quickerimage

Parkrun tomorrow. Hopefully I'll remember I'm trying to go round in about 30 minutes this timeimage

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

AGF thanks and well done on the 10m

HM and MG are you guys feeling any better today?

Fiona well done on the early 5m yesterday

OH nice 8.4m.  Hope the weather stays ok next week

IJ welcomeimage

Stewart well done on the JS run

mace nice weekly mileage build up.

Stuart glad you got out this morning.  Enjoy the parkjogimage

---

Feeling better and went for a 4m run - HR back to normalimage

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

I've got some antibotics

--------

Well done on everyone's training.

• SM6 well done on getting out this morning

Mace good one earlier, your mileage is getting back up there again, enjoy the footySunday, I will be at the Britannia stad on Sunday 

Fiona yo hope you enjoyed your run today if you got out.

Tek, good news that your feeling better and are back at itimage

Felling pretty good today, not 100% but not far off, aim is to get out tomorow morning  for a steady medium run

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Get well soon HM4 and MG1!

Teknik good to hear the HR getting back to normal but don't forget you've had a tough winter training so taking it easy for a bit might be good? image

Stuart good luck on the parkrun.

mace your build up looks much the same as mine.

6 miles after work tonight, glad I left early as just got in the door and the rain started. Hope to get 10 - 12 tomorrow morning then a hill walk on Sunday. image

F

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

SM6, A good 7 miles today, enjoy parkrun tomorrow

Tek, good too see your feeling better and getting a run under your belt

HM, hope you're feeling better soon,

MG1 good too see you're on the road to recovery enjoy the steady run tomorrow

Fiona, You were luck indeed well done with the 6 enjoy your run and hill walking over the weekend.

-----------------------------

Unlike Fiona I was a little unlucky and did 4 easy miles in the rain, at least it wasn't cold. Tried to keep it easy as ther is no cricket tomorrow, lack of players,  so I'm going through to Forres for the Benronach 10K, I'm not expecting a good time, still feeling rather unfit, the legs are ok I just don't have the puff!

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Good luck with Benromach Stewart. It seems a bit breezy out there at the moment but hopefully Morayshire will be calm! Look forward to the report.

F

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

It will probably read along the lines of slow and s*** image