2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

MG hope you get out for that run today

HM hope that clears the lurgy image

Fiona I hear you image- it's all easy runs for a few weeks.  Nice 6 miler last night.

Stewart well done on the wet 4 miles.  Good luck at Benromach this afternoonimage

---

Early morning 4m recovery jog for me.  Sunny but cold.  HR definitely back to normal - averaged 66%maxHR.image

• Glad to hear you're recovering well, Tek; that race took a fair bit out of me on the day, but I was able to run each day this week, except resting Wedesday and today, which are my usual days off!

Steady 12 tomorrow with my Ediburgh-tapering clubmates. Should be an easy pace for me, so it'll tell if I am still tired!

Good luck anyone racing this weekend!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys & good luck to anyone racing this weekend.

Tek,

Hope so.

• macemace ✭✭✭

Well done Tek and good runs tomorrow IJ and Stewart.

Parkrun today 6:55, 6:40, 6:17, 0:28 for a rather aesthetically pleasing 20:20 image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

IJ good week...take it easy tomorrowimage

Mace nice parkrun splits. Enjoy the footie!

• Mace - Nice parkrunimage

IJ - Enjoy the 12 tomorrow

Tek - Nice running, good that your HR is back to normal

Stewart - Good luck today

-----------

Gym early doors then straight into 4.4 miles including 29.03 parkrun. Plodded along with a slower mate, still managed to get my HR much higher than desired by tearing past a few people at the endimage

Long run (10 maybe?) tomorrow hopefully.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Hi Peeps, well back home to the cold, wet grey morningsimage and whats worse than just suffering from jet lag? suffering from jet lag with a sore hip/piriformisimage. Went to mylocal park run this morning and did just over a mile warm up started out ok but after a mile or so had to stopimage so now on the bench, its down to all that sitting.......

Anyway here is a couple of photos of our big day.image.

/members/images/370100/Gallery/Gary___Anita_Wedding-72.jpg

/members/images/370100/Gallery/Gary___Anita_Wedding-96.jpg

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

/members/images/370100/Gallery/Gary___Anita_Wedding-1.jpg

/members/images/370100/Gallery/Gary___Anita_Wedding-10.jpg

I don't think you can run in heelsimage.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Teknik nice to see your HR is back to normal.

Mace nice parkrun like the splits.

SM6 nice days training.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP smashing pics!!imageimage...hope your hip eases off quickly

Stuart well done on the gym and parkrun double

• NP great photos looks Idilyc image

SM6 nice double effort

Mace good  effort on that park run

Tek glad you are back out there again

14 m at 8.32 av for earlier, rainy and cold by the end, further than I anticipated I would go but felt good so pushed for the last 5

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

MG1 well done on the 14 miles image

• Good Man NP - Love the photos. Some very happy memories for you.  You look very relaxed - yet smart....... Love it !!     I also hope that the pain in the ass dissapears for you soon !!

Nice running MG

Mace - thats a very good time too - Almost Sub 20 - something to aim for image

I ran 15 earlier at 8:23 Pace. I want to do a few of these before I have to hit the 20 Miles in July and August image   Also saw Jools Holland + guests last night at warwick Arts Centre - super night !!

Have a good weekend Folks

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NP,

Love the photos.  Hope the hip improves quickly.

--------

Well done on everyones training

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

NP, loving the photos, once again congrats, hope the hip doesn't keep you on the bench long,

Tek, nice to see you back and the recovery was quick image

SM6, nice run today and almost kept to the 30 min pace, hope the 10 goes well tomorrow

MG1, great running again image

AGF, Nice run earlier and it sounds like you enjoyed the concert

HM, hope you're feeling better today

-----------------------------------

Benromach 10k report

I didn't have much expectations about getting a good time today, so decided to run it as hard as possible and see what I could get.

Arrived in Forres at around 1pm and it was tipping down and a bit breezy, signed up for the event and got myself over to the distillery in good time, after a gentle warmup we got our instructions and we were off.

As the race was hand timed I just started the watch before crossing the line, it took all of 5 seconds to get there, so in the grand scheme of things it didn't really matter.  As per usual got off to a quick start and I was pleasantly suprised to see numbers starting with 7 image I was working hard the breathing was a little laboured but decided just to keep going and see how it would pan out.

The route itself is very flat along country single track lanes and with all the rain there were some hugh puddles to negotiate. 

Once we were passed half way there was a section of out and back for two miles, this gave us an opertunity to see the leaders go by and boy they were flying.   By mile four the pace had dropped and I decided it was time to to pick it back up again, fortunetly there were a few targets ahead and I decided to try and pick them off, by mile 5 I could see two Jog Scotties ahead, Lyn was about 150 yards and Mike our Group Leader a further 60 ahead, I dug deep and managed to catch Lyn just after the 6 mile marker, but by then I was spent and there was no chance I could catch Mike, although I did pick up the pace in the final .2 crossing the line in a very suprising 50:32.image a huge 5 minute PB.

Stats: 6.22mi, 50:32, 8:07mm avgHR178(94%) maxHR183(96%) 

Splits: 7:44, 7;54, 8:13, 8:25, 8:21, 8:10, 1:45 (0.22)@7:55mm

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Stewart,

Thanks.  I'm feeling more human.  Well done on the pb.

• Brilliant PB...... Well done Stewart. Slow miles in traiNing = smiles in races !!!

• Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

Hi not been here for a couple of days, been so busy at work so just sleeping and running (a bit) in between shifts.

Firsly NP those photos are gorgeous beats a registry office in the rain any day, Anita looks beautiful, and you don't scrub up too badly..image congratulations again, and sorry to hear you are benched, take it easy,

Tek nice to see you have put last week behind you, its hard at times when we take our "hobby" so seriously , but we must put things into perspective and  move on...

Mace nice park run and great time, did the boys run again ?

Stewart well well well .image..that is a massive PB over 10k super running and great report

AGF impressive pace for the 15 its nice to see you have fully recovered from all the niggles, it just takes time and patience, remind me are you doing Berlin?

MG1 nice 14 miles in the bank , good pace too. rainy and cold ?? there's a surprise image

SM6 looks like we are in the same frame of mind, I am debating on how far to push it tomorrow ..hoping for 10/11 myself

Iccle jim looks like you are enjoying a purple patch well done on the PBS

Fiona nice running and miles have a good walk..hope its not too windy.

Easy 6 for me today keeping HR nice and low 70%  pace not was it was a few weeks ago , but it has been 6 weeks since the injury so lots of reduced mileage..not sure what to do re Abingdon.. I am not sure I want to push my luck and train for another marathon this year after the injury, which although is improving isnt 100% mileage has been 30s for a couple of weeks now, I will see if I can build to 50 by mid june then decide..

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Thanks peepsimage.

AGF great 15 miles, assure a good few of these will also help with the speed, would love to see Jools Holland big fan image

SC great race report and a fantastic 5 min PB imageimageimage well done sir.

NN Anita said it took a lot of work to scrub me upimage well done on your run today, a bit in the same position as you but only just over 13 weeks to the half marathon for me in the WPFG. So will go easy and do lots of turbo and stretching.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NN,

Well done.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

30 mins on the turbo trainer last night and a two mile walk this morning, all the stretching is starting to work so not going to run until the middle of next week then in to a 12 week half marathonmarathon plan but with more speed work image will get on the turbo trainer later for 45 mins.

• NN - you have plenty of time to get fixed for Abingdon + your spring mileage will also help you !!

Sounds like a plan NP. 

A lay in today ....folowed by 10 miles image  ( 7+ 3 with Dog ).  

Enjoy the rest of the weekend guys !!!

• NP, Abingdon's in October, isn't it? I think it clashes with my Mediterranean adventure though ;-(

-- 12 miles today; would be a steady pace, but I still felt tired so dropped a couple of minutes into the wind i the second half. Nice to get some good miles back in!

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart fantastic result at Benromach !  Well done image

HM glad you're felling a little better

NN well done on the 6m.  Abo is a long way off - you're right to do a slow build. Plenty of time to decide...

NP well done on the turbo and stretching.  Wishing you a quick recovery.

AGF well done on a nice Sunday's trainingimage

IJ nice 12 miles.  In October you're doing Palma - what else are you planning?

---

Massive hangover this morning.  Just managed an easy 3m this afternoon.image

• hoping to do Palma (though it seems people want me to organise the whole club trip!) which is 20th October. We did it in 2011, so I know the course alreadyimage

otherwise the plan is to train through the summer, complete my set of PBs for 2013 (5k and 10 mile yet to beat... I think I'll ignore the 50k!) and maybe fit in another marathon or two in the autumn. It'd be nice to finish the year with 20 done!

• IJ - Palma looks ace! I had considered doing it this year but lack of holidays put a stop to that idea. Nice run today!

Tek - Well done on getting out with the hangoverimage

AGF - Nice running today and yesterday looked a fantastic effort. Good stuff!

NP - Some great pics, congrats againimage Hope your fit soon

NN - Sounds like me and you are having a similar year!! I'm also unsure what to do this autumn. Only possible marathon for me is Loch Ness, which i think is going to be too soon. Might just aim for a 19:30 5, 40 min 10k and 90 min half this autumn, then do Lochaber or Paris in April.

Stewart - Massive PB yesterday, fantasticimage You've really recovered well from Lochaber. Impressive that you held such a high HR through out too.

MG - Nice run yesterday.

---------

Calves are a bit tight, Friday/Saturday was the first time I've ran on consecutive days in about 6 weeks. So going to give todays 10 a miss and go out tomorrow instead. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact I'm going to the pub this afternoon and couldn't be bothered going out before the F1image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

NN, thanks, nice 6 miles keeping it easy, build back up slowly I'm sure the strength and fitness will return

NP, thanks, good too see you've got things in hand nice turbo session

AGF, thanks, another good run today hope you have also had a good weekend

IJ, nice 12 today, looks like you're going to be busy ovrr the coming months

Tek, thanks, nice three with a thumping headache, hope it is feeling better

----------------------

6 mile recovery run this morning kept it easy then it was down to Bught park to watch the eldest running in the race for life event, a huge turnout today took almost the same time to get them all through the start as it did for the winner to finish

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

SM6, thanks, all the endurance work over the past five months are starting to pay off, and you are quite right to rest up enjoy the beer and the sport on the big screen

• Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

Feeling a little happier after todays run, 11.2 in 1.48, HR nice and low, ankle comfortable its fine as long as I watch my footing there are plenty of potholes around here so I just have to be more aware at the moment..

I guess the injury knocked my confidence big time, its not something I have ever had to deal with, I have always knocked out 50 plus mile weeks with no problem, 

NP good work on the turbo, and keep stretching.. I must admit, I have enjoyed finding other ways of exercising whilst injured so its not all doom and gloom..

Tek hangovers are self inflicted so I have no sympathy..lol

SM6 marathons arent the be all and end all, and you have some great targets to think about, pub on a sunday afternoon sounds a pretty damn good alternative to a long run anywayimage

Stewart, I swear by lots of miles and not much speed work so yes all the endurance stuff would have helped big time towards yesterday race..

AGF nice running and lulu too,

Fiona VLM 2014..image coffee again in that little cafe ???.its a date..I will make it to the start next time

Iccle jim yes Abingdon isnt till October but I a known for my panicking at not getting enough miles done..I must calm down...your race diary sounds very exotic you lucky thing..

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Nice parkrunning mace and Stuart.

Love the photos NP, very classy! My sister was here last night so she passes on her congratulations to you both. image I hope the piriformis eases off very soon.

Nice long runs MG1, IJ and AGF.

Great report Stewart and a fab PB imageimage very well done! image

Nice running NN, you are still doing lots of cross training too which is impressive! Good that the ankle is ok if running surface smooth. I'll be there for the coffee!! image

Hope the head is better Teknik!

My sister came across to stay last night for the walk today so we went out for a short run. She is just getting started again so 3 miles done very easy but it was her first 3 miles since VLM12. She has entered Amsterdam half.  Hill walk today, 10 miles and really breezy for most of it but great to be out. image

F