2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

Elspeth slow and injured is what this thread has been about lately for a few of us, some (me) slower than others.

Fast last mile there NP . Thought you were retiring ? from work I mean.

OH Dirty 30 sounds "fun" what an offer from Elspeth image

Tek what fun 20 more marathon paced runs image is that right ?

Fiona its good to skip the faster stuff when not 100% nice 8 miler all the same

SC see what I mean, P&D first day starts easy with a rest then ...bang !!! a tempo run, but thats only of you have must have the second (revised )edition, I have the first edition and there are no tempos for the first 3 weeks , just GA and strides.I think your edition brings in VO2 max sessions earlier also, I hope you enjoy following it, I love it,

• macemace ✭✭✭

Nurse - yes that's me .... Great first post eh image !!! Seriously doubting if I'm going to do an autumn mara now though and may concentrate on some shorter stuff with the target of getting my half time down in autumn.

NP stuck on a tready sounds like hell image

• macemace ✭✭✭

Nurse - I'm on the official waiting list for Abingdon as well so if I dont do it and am offered a place that way  I'll give you a shout if you aren't sorted 

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Hi.

--------

Well done on everyone's training.

• PB for 5k this evening - McMIllan predicted 22:31 based on my 10k time last month, and I got close with 22:33 - still beating my previous PB by 1 min 26 secs!

My foot just about held up, but is stiff afterwards, as expected, so it'll be steady or rest again until Sunday's 10k!

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Quality run there Teknik!

Is that double cream NN? How much do you have? Here's me on my 0% Greek yoghurt when I could be having the good stuff! image

NP good treadmill running.

HM4 are you getting out this week?

IJ fantastic PB! imageimage

A nice easy 7 miles for me tonight although the legs felt heavy. Did more clams/squats etc and they are helping. Much better than last night.

F

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

IJ- excellent PB,image Well done. Don't push too hard at the 10k if the foot is still dodgy....Enjoy the achievementimage

• Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

Mace fingers crossed for you, I would think you stand a good chance of getting a place, someone on there said, so many drop out once training starts.

Fiona well done on the squats etc and the 7 miler... and yes full fat double cream..80mls, 40 on the fruit the rest in my first coffee of the day .I have thrown out all low fat spread and stuff, and rubbish including skimmed /semi skimmed milk and use full fat and butter now, its a strange idea to get used to but I have lost weight and feel great after the initial shock of giving up grains and loading up on carbs, just having healthy sort of paleo/primal foods animal fats healthy carbs in the form of sweet potatoes veg wild rice and fruit, rather than bread cereal and other grains (that was the hardest bit to give up...you get a sort of carb flu withdrawal .. ,this is far more healthy tasty and much more satisfying and of course something else to obsess about along with mileage and HRM readings...lol.. 

IJ nice pb well done

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

NP, nice 8 with a quick one to finish,

NN, Yeah the plan does work, I followed the12/55 plan for Lochaber, and have got PB's for 10k and HM with no additional speedwork.  I'm in a lot better shape for this campaign and I'm expecting a considerable PB come Septemeber. good to see you're sticking with the pilates well done with the 10

Fiona, Nice 8 miler I seen the photos from the run, last night on facebook, stunning hope the legs feel better today

Tek, well done with the 10 @MP I'm sure you will see improvement on pace for effort during the next 20 weeks

IJ, congrats on your 5k PB

----------------------------------------

4 mile recovery run along the canal last night, JS tonight looking to get around 10 in total so will need to do a bit before and after

• Foot is okay today, still a bit sore, but I can walk on it much better than yesterday or Tuesday; it's fine running after a warm up and stretch, so I should be fine for Sunday's 10k!

Might skip tonight's run in favour of some work in the gym, just to make sure!

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

NN only eleven more 24hr working days to go, last working day is 21st Juneimage. Back on my Carb diet image.

Jim great PB well doneimageimageimage glad the foot is ok today.

Mace the treadmill is ok done plenty of miles on them over the years even 20+mile runs, need must some times.

Fiona nice run last night and glad the clams and squats are helping.

SC enjoy your 10 miles tonight hope the sun stays out for you.

Finished work this morning and did a 6 mile tempo/steady run which had 2 miles at tempo pace 2 at steady pace and 2 warm up/cool down. Will get out later for 4 miles recovery. Starting to feel more fluid in my running and very happy with the progress so far with 9 weeks to go to the WPFG image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN nice 10.5m and pilates. I'm doing Hadd "nearly" properly this time, so that means a 10m maraHR run once a week, plus either (a) another oneimage ,(b) a maraHR finish to the long run or (c) a (non-Hadd) race (5k/5m/10k).  So that's 2 hard days a week.  I've also got a few rest weeks with just easy runs...

Els welcome back - same injury or another one?

NP well done on the steady 8 yesterday (nice last mile), and on this morning's tempo.  Good to hear you're making good progress.  image

Mace are you losing the "discussion" with Mrs Mace?

HM you've inspired me to restart the 100 press-up challenge. Starting...tomorrowimage

IJ nice PBimageimage.  Take care of the foot.

Fiona nice (fast) "easy" 7m last nightimage

Stewart nice 4m along the canal last night

----

5.7m hilly run with the club this morning. All ok here, just a bit wet.image

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

NN sounds interesting on the diet but I do love my carbs and don't have any issues with them. image

Hope you get the miles in Stewart, I don't do Facebook so have not seen the photos but it was a stunning night.

IJ sounds a good plan.

NP good to see you back to your tempos! I should really do a faster run later on!

Teknik shame about the rain but well done on the hill run. Nice and mild here again - and dry!

F

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Iccle Jim,

Well done on the pb.

Fiona,

I'm having serious motivation problems at the mo & don't know why, however I'm going to the running club on Sunday so hope that's marking the turning point image!

Tek,

Good luck.

---------

Well done on everyone's runs.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

IJ- good news on the foot, but best to wrr on the side of cautionimage

NP- good to see you getting back into full swingimagelTek- looking forward to hearing your updates on the press-up challengeimage

HM- hope the sun and the trip to the running club helpimage

Fiona - hope the legs are feeling less heavy

nothing to report here... 2 x uneventful 5.6m recovery runs. Tomorrow's pm run looks more interesting- half an hour at 10m pace, followed by 10x400@ 10k pace with 200 recoveriesimageimage

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Jason,

Thanks however there's no sun at the mo.  Well done on the runs.

• Didn't go out last night, which turned out to be a huge mistake. So done yesterdays faster run today. 6.25 miles w/2x2 miles @~90%. Not enjoyable at all in this heat, and was quite a bit slower than I hopedimage.

Looks roasting again tomorrow, so an easy 7 in the evening I think.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

SM6- Don't complain about the sun! image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Teknik well done on your hilly run this morning, sorry to hear its wet there as the sun has been out all day hereimage. Good luck with the press ups.

Fiona I'm still just getting back in to it and don't want to over cook the pace just yet, the length of the tempo pace will increase over the next few weeks and I will also start to include the half mile intervals again.image

HM4 there is no sun where you are but it has warmed upimage Think you need to go and runimage use it or loose it as they say.

Jason I can see why you will be feelingimage after that session mate a few more days and you will be back on page 1 on Fetchimage which is fantastic going at this stage of the year.

SM6 well done doing a faster session in the heat image.

Well second run of the day done 4 miles at recovery pace even wore my sun glassesimage.

• IJ glad to hear the foot is a bit better

NN some nice combinations thereimage

Tek, bet it was a bit wet, canal paths round here are like swamps in places

SM6 well done yesterday on the run in the heat

Jason your plan  tomorrow looks very interestingimage

Well a good tough session with the trainer last night plenty of short interval type exercises, 7 m tonight along flooded canal paths at 8.20 av pace, looking forward to a rest day tomorrow

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Nice double Jason - good luck tomorrow, sounds an interesting run!!

Hopefully the club will help get the mojo back HM4. image

Stuart well done running fast in the heat! We are not used to it but it is lovely. image

NP nice double. Checked my diary, not due to start the faster stuff for a couple of weeks but might add one in next week to remind the legs what it feels like. image

MG1 sounds like a well deserved rest day coming up.

A nice relaxed 5 miles for me before sardines and toast image  then cut half the grass.  Off to do some clams and squats. image

F

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

At last VLM are telling us how to apply for GFA - go back on 24th June!!

F

• macemace ✭✭✭

Fiona - i bet you're itching to get your GFA in .. they're proper teases aren't they image

Tek - na, mrs m's ok mate, she's said if i want to do an autumn marathon that's ok and she's pretty chilled generally anyway ... to be honest i don't think i'm ready for it just yet, psychologically more than anything. I think maybe concentrating on shorter distances and improving my half time maybe of more benefit to me and will give me a different mental challenge rather than jumping straight into another marathon campaign. It took me 46 years to run my first marathon so i'm sure the next one can wait.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Fiona- thanks for that! I checked earlier today- nothing....

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

I know, I've been checking every day!! image

Good that you are relaxed about things.

F

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

You will also need access to a scanner.....is it a one day only thing? It doesn't say after 24 June- it says ON .....?

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Got it in my diary now and will scan the documents tomorrow just in case, didn't think of that! image 

F

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Thinking about it, I will scan my DL  and save as pdf in advance....

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

NP you could easily sneak in a sub 3:20 marathon as a training run before then for your GFA! image

F

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Fiona- another thought- I have just boomarked the link for this year's results for me to copy and paste- just in case the site is too busy on June 24th image