Options

2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

NP- Tenby marathon is in early June-?? Hilly, but sure you could get sub 3.20 image Quick trip over on the ferry...

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Good plan jason! That's it, passport scanned and page saved. image

F

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Morning all- the sun is shining here and the wind has died offimage 5.6m recovery run done and tried banana, kale and avocado smoothie for breakfast- seriously tasty!image Hope it doesn't get too warm out, as I have got to do some faster stuff later...

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

NP, nice double good to hear you're getting back into shape

Tek, a good hilly run in the wet been nice up here image

HM, Hoping the mojo returns

Jason, another good double yesterday, and hope the faster stuff goes well later

SM6, I'm finding hitting the paces for the tempo runs tough as well, and the heat doesn't help, enjoy the easier 7 later

MG1, some good cross training going on and a good run along the canal yesterday enjoy your rest day

Fiona, another good run from you, your nice and relaxed running is still to quick for me

Mace, that sounds like a plan, you can always do another marathon next spring, 

-------------------------------------------

just a little under 11 miles last night, it was another JS sandwich 2.65 miles to and from hospital, Andrew's back in getting IV anti biotics since Monday, hopefully he will be out today image

5.75 miles with JS, quite a hilly run, hopefully the group didn't mind image

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM hope you get to run Sunday - Club running helpsimage

Jason well done on the two recoveries - good luck on that hard session laterimage

Stuart well done on the long intervals in the heat.  Hope the 7 go ok this evening

NP nice sunny double

MG well done on the interval session and good pace on the 7m yesterday.  Enjoy the rest!

Fiona nice 5m and well done for getting the exercises (and grass) done

mace good idea.  There are plenty of PB spaces to be filled on your Fetch profileimage

Stewart nice total last night, and well done on this morning's hilly run.

----

Busy day here.  Press-ups first thing (12/17/13/13/17 = 72, 60 seconds recovery between sets);  90 minutes hot yoga with aching arms.  Lunch was rocket, pine nut and grapefruit salad with a maple syrup and vanilla dressing.image Then a 3.5m recovery jog, plus a few flat-out strides. 

• Options
    Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

Hello..

Fiona, I too heard from VLM today I got my email for deferred/ill/injured place for next year seems so early when you think how long the ballot entries have to wait..but yaaaay.I am in image all entered and paid for today.....and yum yum sardines image 

MG1 we really shouldn't be taking about floods and swamps this time of year should we image ?hope you had a good rest day

Mace training for shorter distances at times is more of a challenge what with all the faster stuff you need to do so good luck with what ever you decided to do

Stuart I hope Andrew is ok and home soon, nice 11 miles for you last night...I shall probably start on the up to 55 plan for Abingdon and see how it goes, if the ankle holds up I will add a few more miles, its all ok at the moment but I get a sort of "itchy " feeling in the tendon towards the end of a longish run so just ice it when I get back, 

Tek I too and sort of Hadding although I do get impatient and up the pace towards the end of a run, your lunch sounds very healthy / fresh and "summery' a good days training ..

NP good to see you back on the doubles and enjoy the big retirement countdown you lucky sod image

Jason your brekky sounds bloody vile ..yuk !! kale with banana image lol ??? good luck with the faster running.

14.5 very warm miles in 2.19 @75% hr today dead chuffed felt really good..

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NP,

I know and knew someone would give me a kick somewhere image!

Stewart,

Thanks.

Tek,

I definitely will do as I'm picking up a club sweat shirt.  I've been after one of those for a while but they've not had any in.

-------------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stewart, sorry, missed that - best wishes to Andrew.

HM good stuffimage

NN that's a good run in the heat today

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Stewart- indeed, best wishes. Well done, on the 11m

NN- You should try the smoothie- it was fabimage- well done on the LRimage

Tek- felt tired reading your post! Busy day indeed!image

Well, the tough session was too tough for me today! Wednesday's massage is still in my legs and the thought of picking up the pace after running half an hour tempo was too much for me!image Still a good session- 2m warm up, 5m in 30.47 (6.09 av) and a mile cool down. More smoothie in a bit- banana, ginger and spinachimage to try next, I thinkimage

• Options

NN - Excellent run today, well doneimage

Tek - Nice training. Push ups look good, they're another thing I'm rubbish. Though I blame that on having pretty long arms despite being fairly wee.

Stewart - Good running last night, hope your son is home okimage

Jason - Nice run, don't much like the sound of breakfast though!

Fiona - Well done on the run and cross-training yesterday

MG - Flooded canal paths? I thought this was meant to be summerimage Nice running.

-------------

3.1 miles @ 10:45 ave. 144 ave HR

Achilles felt very sore when I got out of bed this afternoon, think I really need to do more stretching. Couldn't be bothered at all this afternoon, so just done 3 instead of 7. Playing football later so will get a bit of running there.

Parkrun tomorrow and long(ish) run Sunday. Hopefully the weather holds outimage

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Ooh- end of the month! Stats for May: 306.7m in 38.32.52 (7.32 av) Happy enough to break 300 as the first 2 weeks were recovery weeks from VLMimage

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart sensible decision - more rolling and stretching in general, as it could be something else that's tight and pulling the achilles. Have fun with the footie.image

Jason fierce pace for that tempo !image

I forgot it was end of month...May: 162.8m in 23h39m (8.43 av) (av 74% maxHR)...so just scraped a "half Jason".image

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Fiona won't be fitting in a marathon between now and October, nice running last night.

Jason good run this morning sounds like a nice smoothie hope you enjoy your speed work.

SC well done on your 11 miles hope Andrew is feeling better and got home.

Teknik have you turned pro?... Great days training.

HM4 we all need a kick sometimes.image

NN great run today and your right that is early for VLM.

Just 1 mile swim on the way to work this morning, stuck here till 9am then helping out at the Park run, I will do my hill when I get home image

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Cross posts....

jason well done on the faster session.

Sm6 go easy with the football.

Stats: 

19 X Run 11:47:41 56.3 7:36 7.9 - 93.2 6 X Swim 6:54:00 32.9 31:51 1.88 - 13.0 3 X Bike 2:15:00 10.7 3:39 16.44 - 37.0

Oh and one Weddingimage

• Options
    Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

SM6 yes get stretching, my tendon was always worse when first getting out of bed, its only been the last week or so I cant feel it on that first step of the day.

NP, Jason and Tek great stats.

• Options

Morning, oh well I will talk to myself then image

Gorgeous day sunny , a little windy but wont grumble

Recovery run 5 miles in 49 mins all done, HR nice and low 72% things looking better at last...off to collect littlest grandson now..

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Tek- well over halfimage

NP- Did you log the wedding as cross training?image

NN- Similar here- sunny, but a bit windy- well done on recovery run

Parkjog here with a few either side for 8.16m in 1.00.00image 

• Options

NN well done on the recovery run, enjoy your day with the grandson

Jason nice little park jog thatimage

14 m for me at 8.29 av this morning nice and sunny but windy as well.

• Options

MG - Nice 14 this morning. Good pace too

Jason - Good parkjog plus extrasimage

NN - Good run, enjoy the day with the grandsonimage

NP - Well done on the swim yesterday

Good totals for the month Tek/NP/Jason, I just scraped 100 miles.

--------------

4.6 miles at 5:30am, then 4.6 w/21.20 parkrun, and then gym done. Knackered nowimage

Parkrun was about 100 seconds faster than 4 weeks ago, so thats a plus. It's also only 37 slower than my fastest 5k. However, the course has been changed slightly and is definitely quicker. Not sure by how much though.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP LOLimage.  Well done on the swim and enjoy your hill later

NN well done on the recovery run - have fun with the nipperimage

Jason nice running - glad you got back without the extra second this timeimage

MG super 14 miler - great running

Stuart that's a great morning's work - good news that the pace is coming back

---

6.2m in the woods and fields with the club, all easy.  HR starting to get back under control, so only a few spikes today.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done on everyone's training.

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Nice easy running Teknik and NN.

Stuart that's an early start! Nice parkrunning.

MG1 sounds like the same conditions as here this morning. Sunny but quite breezy.

Jason fantastic 1:00:0 run! image

NP I hope you get your run done.

Any running this weekend HM4?

A nice 15 miles for me this morning catching up with someone I've not seen in a while for the first 7. image Just in from weeding (again!) and will get my bike organised for a short cycle to see if I still can!! image And there goes the rain!

F

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Fiona,

Tomorrow with the club.  Well done on your run.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

NN Nice recovery run this morning glad you got out in the sun..image

Jason we both LOL at that image nice parkrun.

MG1 nice running 14 miles and again in the sunimage

SM6 Nice stats for the month and well done on the running and Parkrun today.

Tek good news on the HR and well done on the run in the woods, did my resting HR this morning just out of intrest and was 39 image

Fiona WoW 15 miles and weeding, pity it started to rain.image

HM4 Enjoy your run with the club tomorrow.

Well out from 2 am till 4:30 am image. Went to the Ecos parkrun and acted as photographer which was fine apart for it started to rain 10 mins from the end. Drove home and then ran up and down my hill, working hard up and down it for the full 8 miles and was very happy with the result. Then into town to support the OH and her shopping hobbie so knackerd now and need to get some sleep. Will go out for 12 easy tomorrowimage.

• Options

Lots of sunny running NN MG1 JD SM6 while Tek headed for the woodsimage
    imageimageimage

Sunny here too

I headed out west to join the "Polar Bears" at Skipi Geo, a litte sheltered inlet at the NW corner of mainland Orkney. Swam around the stack followed by fun jumping and diving in. Drove back down the coast to Skaill where I had left Elspeth before the swim and ran back up the coast, meeting her after 2.3 miles (she'd done 14.7 of her total 18). I continued up the coast in glorious sunshine while Elspeth went back for the van.
    I was in danger of burning and discovered a new use of a buff - as a sleeve to protect my sunward arm. image
    On and up to the teashop (7 miles) where I rejoined Elspeth for Tea Soup (with cheese scone) and cake in the Birsay Bay Tearooms. Concluded the outing by impromptu second brief dip with Elspeth to cool down. image

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Sounds like a good day OH although tea soup sounds image but cheese scones are my favourite! image

NP you are good with the shopping! image Sounds like a great hill run.

Got out on the bike and was seriously frightened starting off in town but got the hang of it. But can't figure out why I managed the uphills way faster than my cycling buddy but he left me for dead on the flat! I'd have expected him to nail the hills too. I brake on the downhill so no contest there! image Heading out again tomorrow after my run. Only did about 17 miles with a lot of wobbling & stopping to let cars past (single track road) but good fun.

F

• Options
    StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

SM6, nice stats for the month, and a speedy parkrun too, well done with the double run and gym it is know wonder you're tired

Jason, great totals again, well done with the parkjog

Tek, well done with the monthly totals, and a half jason not at all bad, good to hear the HR is starting to normalise

MG, well done with the 14 miles and at a decent lick too

NN, a another good run hope the day with the grandkids went well

NP, great hill work for you sir, was that 4 reps,

OH, sounds like you've had a great day and finished off nicely with afternoon tea and a swim

Fiona, well done with the 15 earlier hope you didn't get too wet cycling

-----------------------

Andrew is still in hospital image they want to find the right anti-biotics to treat the repeat infections, not sure how there going to do that as the original biopsy they couldn't cultivate any bacteria, hopefully we will hear something more positive on Monday.

No running for me over the past couple of days, missed my recovery run on Friday, I was playing cricket today, took a couple of wickets but got out to a shocking LBW shout, always next week

Plan to do 15 tomorrow in the morning and play another game of cricket in the afternoon, if the better half allows it. 

Monthly Stats: 29 runs 30:07:04, 10:42mm avgHR150(79%) 177.3mi

• Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about Andrew, Stewart, it must be such a worry. Fingers crossed for Monday. Got soaked putting the bike in the back of the car but no rain at all when out - headed out about 4pm so between showers - up Loch Duncheltaig way, really nice.

Nice stats - for me 170.6 miles in 23:19:23, 25 runs av pace 8:12mm and av HR 167 (always skewed by the crazy high reading at the start). Also did 3 turbo sessions.

F

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

OH sounds like a great days swimming and running in the sun image 

Fiona well done on the bike not easy when you first get out on the roads again you will be better at it today as for the hills its strange some people don't have the power going up but a better cadence on the flat. Great stats for the month for you.image

SC the hill is 4 miles straight up and 4 miles down its great for building the strength going up and leg turn over going down also the view is fantastic from the top. Sorry to hear Andrew was kept in and hope thay find out the cause of the infection and sort it out. Enjoy your 15 mile run.

• Options
    TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

HM hope you get out today.  I think I started too high up on the Press Up schedule (week 3)...chest has been aching since Friday. image

Fiona good 15m yesterday, and nice wobbling on the bikeimage. Good stats for the month.

NP impressive RHR! Nice work on your hill.image

OH that sounded like a cracking day out image

Stewart hope they sort things out for Andrew quickly.  Good to hear you got to play some cricket.  Well done on the month's stats.

---

Got up early for my 12m MLR - nice and easy sub70%max, averaged 9:22mm.  Now off to pick up my parents to celebrate their joint 80th birthday.image