2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Fiona err no tea soup! image - correction: "... tea, homemade tomato soup ..."
    Stewart - hope all goes well with Andrew. Have a good run and cricket today

Sunny again todayimage - kayaking after lunchimage

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

OH I am so pleased!! image

Certainly sounds like the press-ups are working Teknik!

Just in from a great little run - 7.8m (to make a round 50 for the week) and just ran without bothering what the Garmin said. image Will get out on the bike later. 

Considering a half on Saturday, been plodding since VLM but as there's no chance of a PB it might just be a good training run and a fun day out. image

F  

• Stewart C hopefully better news on today or tomorrow

Tek nice easy 12 thatimage

oh enjoy the kayaking 

Fiona c great total for the weekimage

Steady 5 for me this morning at 8.28 av, 

• Tek - Nice 12 this morning!

OH - Have fun on the water

Fiona - Great running this weekimage

MG - You're putting in a lot of runs at a good pace now, good stuff!

-------

11.11image miles @ 9.21ave 158 ave HRimage

Not sure I have the patience to run 10 minute miles for 2 hours when I'm sleep deprived, hungover and achey. Felt really quite crabbit for the first 10k, then when I turned to head for home I felt brilliantimage Even managed to pick up the pace into the wind.

Very odd, but decent run. 34.2 miles for the week, which is plenty for me as I'm essentially a 5k runner the now.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

MG1- Nice 14

Tek- hope the woods weren't too muddy! Nice 12 today and congrats to both your parents on joint birthdayimage

Fiona- well done on the 7 and yet more weeding...

NP- Nice hill running and shopping- more cross-training then?image

OH- Tea soup?????????? Sounds like a great day out otherwiseimage

Stewart- hope Andrew feels better soonimage

SM6- well done on the run. Funny how sometimes you can feel rubbish for a while, and then suddenly feel better. Worth remembering in the actual event too- if you are struggling, it can often pass as long as you hang in there

I started my 18 week Chester plan TODAY (yep, starts on a Sunday..) It starts with a 2 hour easy pace run, which happened to be 16.31m today- blooming hot thoughimage

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Teknik nice running enjoy the partyimageimage do your mum and dad share the same birth date?

OH enjoy your paddle.

Fiona nice running this morning enjoy the bike ride later, I'm doing the Larne half next Saturday but it will be run at only a steady pace.

MG1 nice run this morning.

SM6 great running even 5 km runners need to get the miles in.image

Well did another hill session today with more of a climb then yesterday and a total of just over 13 miles. Felt it in the legs over the last two miles but still happy with the progressimage.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Stewart,

Hugs to you guys. Hope Andrew is out soon.

Tek,

I did, it was 4.75 miles off road and tough.  For some tests in the press up challenge I was within the level 2 band however looking at the week's sessions thought it was better to go down to the level 1 band.

------------

Well done on everyone's training.  Club run done this morning 4.75 miles followed by walking round a vintage car show for a couple of hours straight after.

• 10k race - 45 mins 42, which was 23:08 for first 5k, 22:34 for second 5k. Quite good considering that 22:33 PB for 5k just 4 days ago!

Going to have to do a LSR tomorrow to make up the mileage though!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

IJ- lol! Don't think that 5k pb will last long if you just ran the second half of a 10k a second slower!!!

• no, Jason! my club organises a summer 5k series of 4 races. That was race 1, so the next three could be fun! next one is at the end of June... that's also now my next race, so I can get back to Sunday LSRs!

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Iccle Jim,

Well done.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Weekly stats- 95.19m in 11.48.25 (7.27 av) image

• 6 1/2 miles of coastal run to Mevagissey in the sunshine on Saturday, below my kneecap feeling tweaky on downhills. Sadly overindulged with the red wine and Tapas on Saturday nightimage so had to rest on the beach today image
    Why has my knee decided to be tweaky?Just before the  Classic Quarter on Saturday, I'm doing the 3rd leg (the flattest), around 11/12 miles. I haven't done anything as part of a relay team  before and am feeling the pressure knowing that I am the slowest...and the oldest member of the team. Now I don't know what to do this week...pilates Monday, how much running this week? Help!

• Evening all,image 

I have been lurkingimage

Some great running going on! Looks like your all well prepared for upcoming races. 

I'm just keeping things steady here, but everything is definately heading in the right direction. I have been doing some interval training on the treadmill this last two weeks and really surprised myself - 16kmh was never heard of before!!! Really enjoying running again especially in the brill weather we'lve been getting!image

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Nice steady run MG1 and Stuart sounds like a good 2nd half to your run!

Nice to start the plan Jason. image Looks like you'll be back to 3 figure weeks from this week on.

NP that sounds like a good plan for the half, a nice steady run. That looks like a tough run again today. My hills were on the bike! 

Good run HM4.

IJ well done on the 10k.

Caroline I would rest a couple of days then try a run, if it hurts stop and hope for the best at the weekend.

Hi kaz, good to see you back. Do you have any marathons in the horizon?

Did my bike ride and managed to go faster on the downhills today. Still need to practice!

F

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Caroline- I agree with Fiona. You aren't going to gain or lose fitness

Fiona- cycling....rather you than meimage Well done

kaz- welcome back image

• Thank you, I'll do just that.

• Yes Fiona, Berlin in September. 

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Sounds good kaz.

jason only cycling for the next 19 days! Hands hurt today from braking image Bike in the shop to get checked. Should not have worn a tight skirt today but did not expect to have to get on the blasted thing!

F

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

NP, that is a hill, the legs are going to be so strong after all the hill work

Tek, nice 12 yesterday, hope the birthday celebartions went well

Fiona, what half are you planning?

SM6, good mileage for the week, my HR was also elevated yesterday

Jason, well done with the easy 16

HM, well done with the run and thanks for the good wishes 

Kaz, welcome back

---------------------------------

Thanks guys for all the good wishes, got Andrew home this morning, with a new anti biotic to try, hopefully it will do the trick image

Only managed 12 yesterday, didn't get myself out early enough to complete the 15, I will not be doing a long run and cricket on the same day again, my glute and down the inside of my left leg is quite tender, feels a little like doms, hopefully nothing serious, but will need to keep a close eye on it.  Will  do some stretching and may give the foam roller a go this evening before body balance

• Morning, 

just reading back over the weekend and I think of all the posts/training OH

seems to have has the most idyllic day on Saturday,,sounds lovelyimage and enjoy the kayaking today 

TEK super MLR and low HR nice one image

SM6 well done on the long run, a nice strong finish is what its all about and it shows the slower pace for the first few miles paid off, 

FIONA great stats for the month and nice biking,I too am considering a low key local half this weekend just going to treat it as a day out and a long run, I will do a couple of miles before to knock it up to 15

MG1 nice easy 5 @sub 8.30s is great going

JASON good luck with the 18 week plan and ltes hope there arent too many hot Sundays for those LSRs well done on the 16 in the heat

NP good progress indeed , nice hilly 13 

HM4 nice training run well done and hope the car show was enjoyable

CAROLINE I agree with the other rest this week, and I too am a Pilate's fan image

KAZ well done on the treadmill intervals everyone's favourite session  imageimage

IJ congrats on the 10k  anew 5k pb is there for the taking

STEWART keep us posted on how  Andrew is, it must be very hard for you.

6k hilly on the AMT trainer for me today

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Great that you have Andrew home Stewart. Body balance might help the leg.

It's Skye half at Portree. Would be a nice change of scene for the long weekend run, NP's plan for a steady half at Larne sounds good so I might just do that.

F

• Cross post, Stewart good news about Andrew, and well done on yesterdays 12, and get rolling !!!

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Cross post NN, well done on the AMT. That was my favourite piece of gym equipment when I was injured!  Looks like this will be the weekend for relaxed half running. image I am actually looking forward to the day out on the Isle of Skye.

F

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH hope you enjoyed the kayaking in the sunimage

Fiona well done on hitting 50m for the week.  19 days cycling?image

MG nice steady 5m yesterday

Stuart well done on the 11m - you did well considering the lack of sleep and hangoverimage

Jason good start to the Chester plan. Big stats for the weekimage

NP their birthdays are just a week apart.  Well done on the hilly 13 miler

HM well done on the off-road 4.75.  Good advice re the press-ups...I might shift band when I'm aching too much.

IJ well done on the 10k!! 

Caroline maybe a swim or two if you're going nuts resting.

Kaz well de-lurkedimage. Nice pace on the treddie!!

Stewart great news about Andrew.  Well done on the 12m... back on the roller...

NN well done on the AMT

---

Easy 3.5m at sub70%max, just edged under 9mm so happy with the (re)progress, then some strides to remember what it's like to run properly.  Press-ups later...

• I hate swimming, I like doggy-paddling in the sea but it's still too cold for me! No, I'm fine resting, I'll ride my bike to Pilates and then have a gentle 5k run on Thurs, that should be ok. I'm starting to look forward to the Classic Quarter, should be a  hot day and I'm third leg which runs through Marazion (past St Michaels Mount), Penzance, Newlyn, Mousehole ending at Lamorna Cove. Lucky me eh?

• sounds like a good route, Caroline! how have you found pilates affects running?

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NN,

It was and I got a couple of photos for a calendar I've done for my parents.  (If anyone wants to look at the photos I'm happy to post a link - they're all photos from Hampshire & I've picked notable things which were happening in that month).  However as I'm not use to spending so much time on my feet (3.5 hrs between the run & the car show) I'm suffering a wee bit.

-------------

Well done on everyone's training

• Tek - Nice easy run today

Fiona - Enjoy the half at the weekend. 

NN - What's an AMT trainer? Can't say I've ever heard of it?

Stewart - Glad to hear Andrew is homeimage Nice running yesterday too, looks a beast of a climb early on!

----------

5 miles easy on the bike, and half hour in the gym for me today. Wasn't really in the mood for it, it was far too hot in the gym.

I only have 2 non running (they might actually be complete rest days?) days in the next 12, then I'm on holidayimage I say holiday, I have 2 4000m mountains to look forward to...

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Stewart,

Missed that post sorry.  That's good news.

Stuart,

Well done. Enjoy the mountains.