Talkback: Your First Run

I got a new running jacket for Christmas from my parents, my dad being a reluctant ex-runner after a hip operation. My motivation is now my new, posh jacket - Ronhill: recommended! - and debriefs with my dad afterwards. I think even he is motivated to attempt a steady trot around the block! 

A great article - thank you. 

Comments

• I am definitely going to get back into running in the new year. No more excuses. I will pull on my running gear and get out there, looking forward to the day when it is no longer tight and actually fits nicely around my newly slim body! Well, that's the hope anyway!!! 
  • Great tips for the starter and re-starter.

Also might find it helpful to use the 'Good Selfish' tip, which is don't let your friends, children, partners, parents, co-workers, neighbours etc etc stop you, as your strength of mind can be seen to challenge the way things are now. Read the Mary Oliver poem 'The Journey' extract here below'

It was already late
    enough, and a wild night,
    and the road full of fallen
    branches and stones.
    But little by little,
    as you left their voices behind,
    the stars began to burn
    through the sheets of clouds,
    and there was a new voice
    which you slowly
    recognized as your own,
    that kept you company
    as you strode deeper and deeper
    into the world,
    determined to do
    the only thing you could do--
    determined to save
    the only life you could save.

© Mary Oliver.

Good luck!

•  YES GREAT IDEA TO GET BACK INTO IT CAN STILL MANAGE A GOOD 5 MILE ROAD RUN AND AN HOUR OVER MY LOCAL PARK QUITE UNDULATING IF WEATHER IS POOR A TRIP DOWN THE GYM HALF HOUR HILLS ON CROSS TRAINER AND ANOTHER HALF HILLS ON TREADMILL FINISHING WITH SOME CARDIOVASCULAR EXERCISES.USED TO BE A CLUB RUNNER , MARATHONS , HALVES AND CROSS COUNTRY BUTDONT GIVE UP IF YOU ARE ABLE , BE REALISTIC TIME GOES ON AND THINGS DONT WORK AS GOOD , BUT TO DO IT IS A MUST COME ON YOU RUNNERS.GOOD LUCK FROM  MONDO 
  • "Ask anyone who has achieved anything in life to tell you about the teacher who told them they’d never amount to anything" May I suggest you follow your own advice and start with Mo Farah? It was his teacher who told him he had a talent and encouraged him to run. It's very easy to pick on teachers RW, you're better than that. 
  • I've made my first run a 10k mad i know its in 11weeks any advice and training programs will be most welcome. I can just about run 1k at the mo could really do with some advice.
  • Go for it Corinne - 11 weeks will be grand just by increasing little amounts each week.  Even if you break you weekly milage up across the week to make each run more managable.  Also, if you get as far as about 8k by the week before the race the adreneline and excitement of the race will carry you over the distance. Very best of luck
  • Did my first ever run yesterday and started a 0-5k program today image

I'm using an iPhone training app that starts with 15 second runs, because I can't yet run for even one minute! Still, I'm on a 12 week plan and I have to start somewhere... 

• Great article! It's motivated me into brushing the cobwebs off my running gear & get back out there! Having 5 children & my own business has taken all my time & maybe this is what I need........my time!!! Sat behind a desk all day & eating everything in sight has taken its toll! I'm 44 & it's time to look after myself!!!
  • I remember both! The teacher who told me I was good at English,

and the PE teacher who shouted at us run around a field 20 times telling us we weren't going fast enough image

I took English Lit A level and never ran again until now because I thought I was rubbish......I'm not, but as a kid I thought the teachers knew it all!

Have been out for my 3rd run this year and loving it.

Just go and do it! 

• Loved this article!  

I'm trying to get myself back into running after a 2 year lull.Had a day off and had been procrastinating all afternoon about going to the gym/for a run but finding excuses. Read this and within 10 mins was out running.

I was only out for 20 minutes, but felt pleased with myself for having done it and fully motivated to get up tomorrow and go to the local parkrun.

And, I'm having chips for tea!!  image

• Excellent article.

It got me out of my armchair, went for my first run for years on New Year's Day and will be out again on Sunday morning. Just hope I can keep motivated. 

• Corinne

Have a look at the Bupa website, they have a excellent run/walk programme which will slowly ease you to a 10k in 10 weeks.

Good luck and well done!

• Karl 

I have recently started running. I was bought a pair of training shoes for £20. I would still be deciding what pair to buy had it not been for a friend who bought them for me. I kept promising myself to go out and buy some which I never did.

Although, now I have a pair. I enjoy going for runs when ever I can. Maybe I start to fast. Another friend said to start off slow.

I would like to run a marathon but this is my first year which I read somewhere "you have to be running for a year before considering a marathon. This is my first few weeks of a journey that will hopefully help me to acheive my GOAL image 

• It could almost have been me who wrote this... It is how I started and the more people I told, the more I couldn't stop.  Even when someone said to me, I wouldn't have the guts to be seen by people I know, running around town, like you do... as I was 18st 6Ibs, I kept going.  After 8 months and -6 stone, I was still running 3-4 times a week and still am, nearly 2 years later.  I often compete in races, just for the fun, as I am not fast enough to ever win anything. 

• Really good article and great advice. After a couple of failed attempts on 0-5k plans I just started going out the door and running till i had enough. within a few months 5,10,15k's were a regular thing for me.

• @Teacher Paul

Why be so sensitive? We have all had a bad teacher that takes a dislike to us, it does not make the others bad. It was a good article (I hope your essay marking is not so harsh). image

• I had been putting off going for my first run (in over a year) but after reading this article I decided to go and get my trainers, get changed and went out for a run.

I set out a course in my head before leaving, it was only 1.76 miles that I made it which involved splitting it over 4 parts running and 4 parts walking, I feel this is an achievement though as by doing it in 22 minutes then next time I will be able to see if I can go that little bit further and remove one of the parts of walking so each part of running becomes further slowly but surely.

Oh and the best part which makes me happy is that 1.76 miles is something like 2.8km which means to me that I am training towards my first 5k.

My own overall goal is the great north run 2013.

• I WANT TO GO FOR A RUN RIGHT NOW  - I'm a 'seasoned' runner normally and found this page to encourage a friend. it's all true. I bought new running shoes in the sales last week and can't wait to use them. The problem? I'm 8months pregnant!! BUT I'm already thinking about a cheeky little 10km in the autumn. Go for it everyone!
  • Fantastic post, I think I'll go for a run image
  • I'm just about to start week 5 and i never thought i would make it this far or more importantly enjoy running so much. I remember when i started my first run, i felt afterwards that i had accomplished a marathon! My daughter runs with me being a brilliant x country runner and its been lovely spending extra time together.

This schedule truely works and i have set myself a goal to enter a Park run which is 5k once i've finished week 8. My health is so much better, i feel less tierd and have more energy! I've since past this schedule to my firend whos just started her week 1 and is really enjoying running. People are right there is such a thing as the running bug!

• I read this article just after going out into the big bad world on my first run in January - the first time I've run in about 10 years. And even then it had previously only been in the gym on a treadmill.  I was very demoralised at how little I could manage and thought I was making a huge idiot of myself.

This article got me smiling and motivated again and tonight I'm going out for run no. 19 of 2013! In just over four weeks Ive gone from only being able to run for 2 minutes to being able to run for 25 mins and am on course to do my first ever 5K run in March. Hopefully in under 35mins. That's not bad for someone who also only gave up the cigarettes for good last September. 

I'm loving this new challenge (and all the new gear) despite the sweat, shin splints, freaky runners high and frustration at not being able to glide along, rosy cheeked and serene like some of them I see who are good enough to go out in daylight. Imagine, in broad daylight! I'm still at the 'running in hours of darkness, florrid, sweating, flailing mess' but I'll get to the gliding yet, you see if i don't. 

Good luck everyone - get off your arse and get to it image 

• I totally agree! Debriefs with your parents about running are the best. I don't think my Mum has ever been more proud of me.

• Always one for excuses.....need new trainers (went to running shop and sorted my again).  Don't like a dirty pair of trainers if I am working out indoors ( bought two pairs!!!)

Went to Bournemouth last week, packed running stuff (wish I had taken a  jacket as didn't run one morning as blowing a hoolie and driving rain)  but did run for the first time for ages along the prom.  Slow.....walk and run, but felt fantastic.

Back home yesterday, gym today on treadmill. Feel guilty when I run outside as I have a gym membership and road running, or off road....

i don't want excuses to start creeping in.....

I have been looking at registering for my first race - 5K or 10K. I have heard 5K arusefully running races and I think I am more a plodder.....well least at at the moment.

• What's with predictive text stuff! It keeps adding unhelpful words

again = gait 

arusefully = no idea what that replaced, but it was supposed to say I hear they tend to be faster...

• Very inspirational. I haven't ran for nearly 2 wks until last night as my dog (my running partner) passed away about 2 wks ago, didn't think I'd run again for a long time. But after reading that, no excuses, I laced up and went out for my first run-with a new running partner, my other dog!

So, thanks a lot for the inspiration to get back in it again.
    imageimage

• Thanks again for a great article. Always good with some motivation after a long summer holiday. I really need to get going again also.

Morten // Denmark
    Brugte computere