Options

Just A Little Bit Further 2013

Comments

• Options

MC - He is going to Portsmouth university to study Computer Science. His father wants him to retake his exams. Ideally he had an offer for Civil Engineering that required 2 B's and a C. Don't think with retakes he would get there anyway. Trouble his father isn't prepared to give him any money while at university and we aren't in the situation of giving him much. Bit annoying as his father has stopped the mainetance since he is now 18.

Franny-Sounds complicated. You will have to do a very slow 10k the next time they are working out the handicaps!! Not too bothered about my speed in the last two runs as am enjoying running with friends anyway. I am doing a hilly 10k race on Sunday so I will if I can get some sun 8 minute miles which is usually what I aim for in a race. It just seems strange that when I am running on my own my standard pace for the last two runs is about 8.55.

• Options

Afternoon

AF - oops! Great news that your stepson got a place though.

Well done everyone on your runs. Am hoping to do a slow 5 miles a bit later.

Would really like a massage too this week before the marathon, but we go on holiday next week and I don't really have the spare pennies.

• Options

ahem.

hello.

been away...had two weeks holiday with very little network access and then erm, just lazy image.  A bit overwhelmed by reading all the posts...

Glad to see everyone beavering away though - DJ, sounds like you are making great progress.

Jude, belated congrats on your anniversary!

MC, my physio always said not to work out after a deep massage or physio session cos the massage does cause micro-tears in the muscle so you can get an overtraining effect.

Mrs N, AF, I can report that after my disappointing half mara, a midseason break is just the thing, but mine was accompanied by far too much food and alcohol.  My first run after a10 day layoff felt dreadful, but funnily enough the next day I was perfectly fine to run again and felt much better.  Nexgt event is Sevenoaks 7 on 1 September.

LLB, not sure why people keep saying you are norty.  I think your pictures are in very good taste image.

• Options

AF - sounds like a difficult situation but at least he has somewhere to go and study rather than beign at home with nothing and no job

Louise - nice to have you back

the massage was incredibly painful and I feel shattered now, so not swimming tonight, early night instead I think!

• Options

thank you louise !!image hot boys arnt they?image...*licks screen*

well done Mrs N!! that was a good race report . whens next event ???

sis! medal n choc sounds perfect! well done on time ,tht was daft them setting you tht when it was times run on different terrainimage

• Options

Hi Louise, welcome back. Hope you had a lovely holiday.

Didn't have time for 5 miles, so only managed 3.

MC - hope you sleep well and feel better tomorrow. Sports massage can feel a bit like torture can't it?!

My girls are all with some of my teenagers having a sleepover. Unfortunately I can't make most of the night off cos I have to finish my essay. Hubby did cook me dinner though which we ate together in the garden image

(I think they should have a 'kissy' smiley face... I'm sure it would get used a lot...)

• Options

chili - nice that you got to have a quiet dinner with hubby. At least you can work on your essay without being interrupted by the kids

that massage certainly was torture, I have a feeling I will need to go back for more image

• Options
    Mrs NoelMrs Noel ✭✭✭

Loula it's 29 Sept for my next tri but I'm doing a 10k 8 Sept.

To all those toying with what I cleverly rebranded as a mid-season break, it's actually done me the world of good! I felt a lot more able to pick up speed on my tempo run earlier. 

MC sounds like one of those heaven/hell massages! Hope you benefit from it. 

• Options

I have had to make a difficult decision about my running today,and i'm deferring my Brighton Marathon entry to 2015.I was looking into the logistics of how the weekend would work with my wife's disabilities,and I need more time to plan.We have to make sure we get a hotel that is in the correct location,and make arrangements for my wife during the race,so she can still support me,but stay comfortable.And there is transport to and from Brighton as i'm sure I won't be comfortable driving home.I really need longer to get all the planning done.When I entered the race I thought we would be ok,but my wife's mobility has declined a lot,so I need more time.And it makes sense for me to take another year building my strength and speed after a very disrupted 2 years of training.I will be a much stronger runner in 2015.Also I am in my final year of college,and that will be a lot of work.

My aim is to start Parkruns and club training next month,with a view to a return to racing in the new year.Then I want to concentrate on lowering my 5 and 10k times in the first half of the year,before stepping up to 10m and half marathon in the latter part of the year,which will lead nicely into my 2015 marathon training.I'm currently enjoying my longest period of running for 2 years,and I feel i'm getting back into the groove.

When I run the marathon in 2015, I will be 50,which seems like a good way to celebrate.

• Options

morning all

DJ - tough decision but sounds like a good one that will work for both you and your wife

• Options

Morning allimage

DJ, I think you have taken a good decision; when training under date pressure it is so easy to cause injuries.  Nothing wrong with having the extra time to build a strong foundation of base fitness.  Doing those interim shorter distance events while you build up is a great way to keep you motivated and track progress.

After my disappointing half marathon last month, I beat myself up (of course...) and decided I had to push harder in training.  So on Saturday at our Hills session I really pushed, and had an exercise-induced migraine as a result image just to remind me why I have to allow more time than other people to get fit.  Had a nice 10 mile run yesterday morning though.

• Options

DJ - what a great way to celebrate your 50th! Logistics can be quite a challenge can't they. Have you heard of the Carer's Association? There are local groups around the country. My Dad is ill with a motor-nurone type disease (has been the past 30yrs) and my mother received a lot of support from their local group.

http://www.carersuk.org/

Not doing much today. My twins have been invited to join the musical threatre workshops this week for free! image What a gift! My Big Girl got her place half price as part of her prize but there is no way I could afford the other two. Smidge and I baking for our holiday.

• Options

chili - that is great about the theatre. My youngest is being used in a documentary that they are filming at Southwell Workhouse, although the documentary is about Broadmoor. He is being filmed this afternoon, so a little exciting. 

• Options

been for a run/walk - 4.6 miles. Knee was niggling though so I have made an appointment with another physio - the nhs one just isn't really doing anything. The massage lady I saw yesterday recommended I see the physio she works with. Got an appointment for tomorrow

had a good cycle with the kids today, 4 miles down an off-road trail to a cafe and back againimage We have to have the cafe stop or they probably wouldn't go...

• Options

Ooooh, MC, how did your lad get on?

Spent the afternoon with my Smidge baking for our holiday next week. I made choc and banana cake, orange cup cakes, lemon shortbread, carrot and coconut cake. What shall I do next? I need loads cos we are visiting family and friends and everyone will be eating them!

Hope the fizz appointment goes well.

• Options

Morning all!

Chili - wow! lots of baking, yummy! Musical theatre course sounds great. Where are you off to on holiday?

MC - Massage sounds agony. I've never had one, must admit it's put me off a bit! Hope the physio appt. goes well today.

Louise - well done on you 10 mile run. Be careful and don't push too hard, though!!

AF - Shame about the disappointing results but once you have a degree the A level results aren't so important, ere they? My brother did a Geology degree at Portsmouth (25 years ago, mind you) and had a fantastic time. He is also very high up in his profession now despite mediocre A level results, so it can be done.

Mrs Noel and Franny - well done on your races. Don't know if I said so before!image

Franny - sounds like your target time was very unfair!!

Loula - I like the one with the big axe too.image

DJ - sounds like a wise decision. There isn't a rush and better to build up your distances and training gradually, as others have said. 

Busy couple of days. Monday, we went to the beach for the day and yesterday we went to Istanbul. We had a boat trip up the Bosphorus, saw Topkap?? Palace and Ayia Sophia and the Blue Mosque. It was very tiring as it is 3 hours one-way but worth it.image 

Hoping for a run later while kids are swimming. Should have göne this morning when it was cooler but had a huge pile of ironing to get out of the way before anybody woke up.image

Have a good day everybody!

xx

• Options

morning all

chili - he enjoyed it, it is going to be shown in the Autumn I think. He did really well and didn;'t mess up any of the scenesimage

all that baking sounds good chili. We are baking this morning because it is my dad's birthday - he is 77 today, we are going to pop round later with cake and presents, going for lunch tomorrow with him.

going to do a turbo session now if the kids play nicely for an hour 

• Options

Morning

DJ Sounds like the best decision for you and your wife and will give you plenty time to build up a good solid running base before marathon training again. And a good way to celebrate your 50th. I will be 50 in 2015 too Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek

MC...ooooooooooo how exciting for your lad .....hope the turbo sesh goes well.

Jude...sounds like your having fun and being very busy.hope you get out for your run.

Chilli...you have been a busy baker...they all sound scrumptious.

Louise.well done on your 10 miler image

Went to gym this morning..not feeling tip top today for some reason image headachey and lightheaded too Hope I am not coming down with something before we go away on Tuesday

Have a good day everyone

• Options

ooh franny where are you going? Plenty of time to recover from a bug/turedness or whatever by Tuesday

legs felt a bit tired on the turbo! I stuck with it though, even though the kids kept bringing their arguments to me, grrrrimage they soon discovered that that wasn't a good idea when I was in the middle of a tough interval

• Options

MC-That sounds exciting for your lad. Children & argumnets- annoying!!! Well done on your turbo despite the distarctions!

Franny-Hope you are ok. Where are you off to on your hols? Perhaps you can post a nice picture foe me as Loula keeps on posting horrible pictures!

Louise-Good to here from you & well done on your 10 miler.

Chilli-You will be in the Great British Bake off soon!!

Loula-I have seen that you are leading more and more people astray!

DJ-Sounds like you have made the correct decision about derferring your marathon until 2015. Sadly I beat you to the big 50 - hence my desire to do lots of races until the end of next year. 

Had a good day out at London Zoo with my daughters and youngest step son. A bit expensive on the food side of things 4 sandwiches cost about £30 whereas the train fares in total were £21!

8.6 mile run this morning and managed to speed up a bit and average 8.35 minute miles.

• Options

Well done on turbo session even with the arguments MC and well done AF on your run too.

We are off to Sagres in Portugal ...Tuesday morning.....................for 2 weeks yayyyyyyy.

OK Boss I will try and post you some pics since my sis Loula has been norty.....image

• Options

franny - that is a lovely area of Portugal, enjoy it

the cake I made for my dad's birthday was amazingimage it was the ultimate chocolate cake from the bbc good food website, very rich and yummy

• Options

Franny-Post of the year.Excellant work & you deserve a great holiday.

MC-Hope your Dad had a great birthday.

• Options

well, my dad enjoyed the cake (full of all the stuff he isn't supposed to eat - but let's face it if you get to 77 you should be allowed to be naughty on your birthday) and we gave him some special scotch whisky and some wagner so all is well thereimage

physio was good - my knee is hyperextending and pinching the fat pad - the good news is I should be able to train my glutes, hamstrings and calves to stop this happening

spinning and turbo today

GCSE results tomorrow, eek

• Options

Hope you are feeling better this evening Franny.

4.5 miles while kids were swimming.

• Options

Well done on all the training runs and being generally busy everyone.Some of you do so much during the summer hols i'm surprised you find time for running.

Chili,thanks for the link.For my marathon,i will probably run for the MS Society and my wife will have access to their section of the charity village near the finish.And we'll make sure we have someone with her during the day,so I can run in the knowledge she is being looked after.After all i'm going to gone for at least 4.5 hours,and there will be lots of waiting around for her to deal with,and she can't stand for long or walk very far anymore.

Loving the pics of Ms Isinbayeva.Did anyone see the interview with Andrew Osagie after the 800m final last week.The interviewer apologised as he had to cut it short as Isinbayeva was about to attempt a world record.Osagie replied,''It's just coz she's got a nicer bum than me.'' He's not wrong.

Went out for a hilly 4 mile run tonight and really enjoyed it.Had a bit of a knee twinge but ran through it and it went away.Other than that I had a good run.

• Options

Loula, I had one of your pin ups in my class last night! imageimage He was gorgeous! Huge shoulder, trim waist, tight t-shirt, square jaw etc. It was actually a bit hard to concentrate of teaching them antenatal stuff cos I wanted to ask him what he did in the gym! lol!
    Sounds like everyone is doing well. Hope GCSE's go well for all teachers and kids tomorrow. I'm taking my youth group out on a night walk through the forest and am looking forward to hearing how they have managed.

We seem to have a developing situation in our household. As you know my Big Girl won the talent competition with a two-part prize. This week's Aladdin workshop was half price and then a full scholarship of a term on musical threatre tutition each Saturday afternoon.

So she began the workshop on Monday and was given the part of Jasmine. The twins were invitited to join yesterday for the rest of the week for free. This afternoon one of the directors' of the school asked to speak to me privately. He said all of them are gifted and talented and they would like to offer us a very special deal for all four girls, plus they would support us applying for a small local council grant to help pay for classes, shoes travel etc.

It's a bit overwhelming to be honest. I mean, of course our girls our gifted - I'm their mum I am always going to say that! image But to have someone else tell me and offer tutition is kind of on another level. It will mean a different focus in our family life because the girls have never attended theatre school before, nor done any dance, singing acting lessons. So hubby and I are thinking it over and need to decide what kind of level we should go for.

Sorry! Very off topic.

So today I needed to a run but had my Smidgie Girl. She's a small 6yr old and although she can cycle she can't steer or use her brake and needs to stop every 10-12 mins. So it was a rather slow, intermittent run/bike whilst picking blackberries.

• Options

Morning all!

Chili - What a great opportunity and so great that it is for all four of them. If you decide to go for it, it will be so much easier than each of them doing different activities and you trying to get them to different places at different times. (Part of the reason that all my three do swimming.) 

DJ - well done on your 4 miler! Like the story about Andrew Osagieimage.

Good Luck to anybody waiting for GCSE results. My niece (brother's daughter) is waiting for hers today.

Off to a historic village for a lunch of 'gözleme' and 'ayran' (filled pancakes and yoghurt drink). Then to the music shop as daughter has managed to break a violin string- playing a bit too vigorously! Swimming tonight for me (and kids at a different pool.image)

Have a good day! x

• Options

Morning

Still a bit lethargic and headachey but a bit better image

MC..it was my FIL birthday yesterday  and MIL made a delicious choc cake out of a magazine....mmmmmmmmmmmmm very rich but very nice image Good news about your knee

Chilli...That is a fantastic opportunity for all of your lovely girls image Not long till your mara now..rest up now and get carb loading.LOL your post made me chuckle about loula's pinups image

Jude Enjoy your day at the historic village and your lunch.

DJ Great your hilly run went well.

AF..Glad you liked the pics imageimage

I am going to get me fingernails and toenails done for my holsimage 

Have a good day everyone whatever your up to.