Just A Little Bit Further 2013

Comments

• AF - Well done! Glad you had fun.  I've heard great things about it being an enjoyable event!

• wow AF well done

well, work and tiredness is getting the better of me, no running or exercise of any type this week yet, starting to feel quite porky! Would have liked to fit a run in tonigiht but got back late and have to plan 6 lessons for tomorrow as well as do all the parenting stuff that OH seems unable to do - like getting older son to do his homework etc

• Oh MC! I know how you feel. Hubby forgot to take my running stuff to kids swimming so I when I met them there after work, I couldn't run. Then, when we got home I had to help little son with his holiday hw (he's had hw to do every day over the holidays- although we have been naughty and missed some days) even though hubby has been home all day, (and the hw is in Turkish!)Anyway, good luck with the lesson planning and I'm absolutely certain you are not getting porky!!

(Don't want to criticize hubby too much, he had cooked supperimageimage)

• Jude - mine is really annoying me I have to say, yesterday I asked if he would cook supper as I was so tired and he just said 'no', unbelieveable. I didn't have the energy for an argument but the resentment is building! 

• MC - That's hard! Hope he pulls his socks up soon. Not getting support when you ask for it, is tough. 

• I cook supper every day!!!!image

• Ahhh, AF you are a man in a million! image Can I steal you?

Oh, MC and Jude I can completely emphathise with you. My hubby tries to make the excuse that I am somehow blessed with above average intelligence and therefore have the ability to do everything whilst he is just 'normal' and thus can't. His attempt to flatter is not convincing....

6 miles today (having prepared and left dinner ready for my hubby to dish up)

• Hi all well I ran the Lichfield 10K on Sunday, nice race. This was my first actual 10K race although I've run the distance many times in training. I wanted a benchmark in my half mara training!

It was a great day for it, not too hot but dry which is a great start! The venue was well organised and the t shirt was decent. About 10:10 they put up time boards near the start so I parked myself near 50 mins. 

The crowd got moving fairly quickly when the gun went and we turned out of the town. Luckily some of the roads were closed and a good number of locals were coming out of their houses to cheer which was nice. The course overall was quite flat but there was a notable hill at about 2K which caused done muttering among more novice runners! We went along various lanes and the course was marked at every Km. A couple more hills between 4 and 7 K and we had a water station around 5. Annoyingly, the first table had run out of cups or something so it was a little disorganised but not too bad. We then continued into a housing estate and again, locals, friends and relatives were out to cheer which was great. I started to feel tired around this point and I'm glad my Garmin 110 was (for once) playing ball as seeing my pace forced me to pick up my speed. I got back to my starting pace for the last couple of K. Back on the main road and into the last run, the marshals were great. At the finish they were managing to announce everyone's names which is always a nice touch. They had fruit and water,easily accessible, around the venue and it was dead easy to leave the car park.

Altogether a well run race. I did it in 51:12 which was to the slower end of what I had hoped for but still within range! Hears to the Tamworth 10 in a few weeks time when I hope to go under 50. 

• Well done Mrs Noel still a good time. Hopefully you will get sub 50 next time.

Chilli-Tell my wife I am 1 in a million!!! Well done on your 6 miles.

Resting today then plan is 5-6 tommorrow,18 Friday and 12 on Sunday then rest...

• Ooooh I do love a good race report! Well done Mrs N imageimage Sounds a great time to me, and since it was your first 10k race there is no doubt you'll soon beat it.

AF - Lol! sounds like a good week of training you have planned. I'm hoping to do 15 miles on my LSR on Friday. It will be 3 weeks after my marathon so am hoping it won't be too difficult... I kind of need to build my mileage back up quite quickly if I'm going to do the Ultra.

• Afternoon all,

Chili sorry to hear about your migraine and the theft,but well done on your girls Parkrun.

MC and Jude,hope you find the time to fit in a run soon.You both sound super busy.

Mrs Noel,fantastic race report and a good time.Sounds like a nice race.

I've struggled for motivation this week.On Sunday i should have gone for a run,but just couldn't bring myself to go out.Maybe it was the sudden change in the temperature,but i really didn't fancy it.It's not like me to cry off a run like that.On Monday i felt the same but made myself go out for a 4 mile run and once out i enjoyed it.I have felt a bit down and under the weather a bit lately so maybe that explains it.I will go for another 4 miles tomorrow.

Last Thursday i managed to do my fastest 5k of the year so i have registered for Parkrun and i will run the Eastleigh one on the 28th,and then start training with the club on 7th of next month.I think i am ready to start adding some speed training into the mix now.Before that i hope to get my LSR up to 10 miles.

• Dee Jay I know exactly what you mean about the motivation. I'm getting to that point in the season where I'm all cronky and achy! As a triathlete, my season started in May and I was training hard the whole time I was in Afghanistan, from last October to April, so I really need my recovery weeks! The plan is to keep going till my half in mid November then take it easy till January. I will plan my season better next year! Well done on the PB though! Great going. 

• Mrs Noel - well done on your first 10K - that sounds a great time to me. (Certainly a lot faster than my PB although I've never done a 10K race...) 

AF - Of course you are a man in a million! My hubby cooks most nights too but then he doesn't have a regular job as such, so I think that's fair enough! 

DJ - well done for getting out for a 4 miler on Monday. I'm sure it's pretty normal to be unmotivated sometimes especially when the weather starts to get cooler.

Chili - well done on your 6 miles.

I did a 4 miler very early this morning and am very pleased that I'm speeding up. (Although still slooooww compared to you guys!!)

At school today we had a surprise trip to Istanbul for cocktails and lunch on a posh boat on the Bosphorus!!!! (The 1st years were given the day off as it is Bursa's Independence day.) It was the management's way of thanking the staff for working extra hard last year in order for the school to achieve IB (International Baccalaureate) status. It was lovely and must have cost a lot money! I have managed to burn my face somewhat however.......imageimage

• evening all

I managed to get out for a run this morning. Jude - I am also very slow but I don't care. Faster than everyone sitting on the sofa (or still in bed at the time I ran!)

Mrs Noel - well done, that is a agreat time for a first 10k.

DJ - well done, maybe your body just needed a day's rest

Jude - the surprise lunch sounds lovely

• Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo friends................I am back from my jolly hols and we had a fantastic time..weather was hot hot hot and we had a perfect time just relaxing by the pool and walking to different beaches every afternoon..very chilled out holiday indeed and lively to meet up with friends we have made there over the years. Did do a couple of runs but mainly swam or walked as if I was planning to run I had to be up early before the sun got up.

Sounds like you all have been training and running well image

Very well done Mrs N on such a fantastic 10k time...woo hoo You will be sub 50 in no time at all.

Chilli..Looks like you have caught the ultra bug...I am confident that you will manage it no problem.

DJ....sounds like you have got your speedy self back too...well done. And sorry to hear that you have more family problems..Its been a tough year for you and Mrs DJ..take care now.

Hope everyone else is well.

.AF...think you were doing a HM whilst I was away..How did you get on????

Better go as Chico is wanting his walk and going to visit my mum later.

Speak soon folks

xxx

• morning all

franny welcome backimage

• Franny-You are back...yes I hada  great 1/2 the Baccus 1/2 which included wine stops did it in 1.54 which I was pleased with as it was very hilly. Finnised in the top 13% of finshers!! Pleased you had a good holiday.

Jude-Sounds like a great jolly much deserved I am sure. Pleased that you are happy at work.

DJ-Well done for foring yourself out. I tend to just go 1st thing and not think about it!!

Chilli-Which ultra are you training for? May well do one next year.

MC-Well done on your run.

6.9 miles this morning and hopefully a long one tomorrow.

Bye for now

• Afternoon.

Franny,good to hear you had a fab hols.It sounds great.

Jude,sounds like you enjoyed a lovely and well deserved day out.

I think i have a bit of a bug as i feel very tired and under the weather this week.I'm going to take tonight off running,go for a gentle run tomorrow night and see how i feel on Sunday as to how far i run.I will go out as soon as i have finished watcing the Great North Run and hope i feel inspired.

We had some sad news about my brother in law last night.He is very ill and not expected to last much longer.He is a heavy drinker and 3 years ago he was told his liver was badly damaged and he should stop drinking immediately.He didn't and in fact his drinking got a lot worse and he cut himself off from his family many members of whom he has alienated at some point.Now he is in hospital and his liver is finished,and his other organs are following.It is very sad,although largely self inflicted.Apart from his daughter and my wife,a lot of his family seem ambivilant to his situation as a result of his past actions.It certainly makes me glad i try to follow a healthy lifestyle,because i would hate my life to end like his is about to.Life is very hard at the moment in many ways,but i'm glad i can see the positives in it,and i can find the joy that living brings.And i'm very glad i can escape my stresses by running rather than drinking.

On a more positive note i'm super excited about the GNR on Sunday.Watching Farrah,Gebreselassie and Bekele going head to head will be brilliant.

• DeeJay ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((big hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

AF sounds like a fabby half mara...well done and your miles today.

Well my drama of the day is That when up at the park this morning with Chico..one of his big friends Harley a big white labradoodle/retriever He is a lovely soft daft lump but he sort of knocked into me and with me not being very big I fell off balance very slowly but over on my right ankle...very painfull  aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh...iced it when I got home and have strapped it up.....ooooooo I hope it isn't a bad sprain and just bruised. Gald I did a 4.5 mile tempo run this morning as don't think I will be running tom..maybe will swim instead .Then I went to visit mum before she goes away at weekend for a wee holiday.

Have a good evening everyone

• Franny-Hope you are ok. Fingers crossed that you are able to run. Take care. I would say rest,but I wouldn't!!!!!!!!!!!  

• Dj, so sorry to hear that ((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))

Franny, hope your ankle is ok

• Welcome Home Franny! Great to hear you had such a lovely time. Sorry about your ankle image

Awww DJ - big hugs to you. Such sad news.

Had planned to do my 3hr run tomorrow, but when I got home from the school run hubby said the weather forcast was flood alerts. So I quickly downed a bowl of porridge, stuck some potatoes in the oven to bake for the rest of the family and headed out for my run accompaned with my gorgeous No.2 girl. It was a lovely evening. We ran through the White Water centre at dusk and it was so pretty in the flood lights with all rainbow coloured canoes.

It's been 3 weeks since my marathon and legs don't feel to bad - no twinges or sore bits. That's good news cos I need to re-build my mileage up quite quickly for the Ultra.

AF - I'm thinking of doing the Stort 30. The start is only 25 min drive from where I live. It's a pretty, flat, out and back along a river path. Although I don't train along that part of the river, it is connected to the Lee Valley Park where I do train so the terrain is very familiar. It is a very 'easy' ultra as these things go image

• Franny,sorry to hear of your injured ankle.I would ice it and rest for a couple of days then try gentle running.If isn't swollen or sore you should be ok.I did something similar a few years ago and got back running really quickly.

• Morning all!

Franny - Good to have you back. Sounds like you had a lovely holiday. Hope your ankle is OK this morning.

AF - Enjoy your LSR today.

DJ - So sorry to hear about your brother-in-law.

Chili - Well done on your LSR.  Sounds like a nice one.

Well the forecast is 36C for today..... don't know what the weather is playing at, it's meant to be cooling down now!!!

I went swimming yesterday and did 70 lengths but the first 32 were following one of the sessions from swim4 fitness.image When I first started two moths ago most of my lengths were breast stroke but now I'm doing mostly freestyle and I feel much stronger in the water.image It's a good feeling!

A run planned for this evening but that's if I can get to kids swimming training in time from work.

Have a good day all! xx

• Morning All

Jude well done on your 70 lengths.....I went swimming today but only did 20 in 35 mins breast stroke...I am a very ssssssssllllllllllllllllllllllllow swimmer..lol  but considering I couldn't really swim at all a year ago I am quite pleased..what is freestyle????? Hope you get your run in.

My ankle is much better this morning...slight bruising only so hopefully ok...such a stupid way to get an injury.....lol...standing still is dangerous Ha ha njoyed my swim this morning.

Have a good day everyone and its Frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrridayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ...so have fun......

• Glad your ankle is OK and well done on your swim Franny! Freestyle is another name for front crawl. I must admit the turkish words for swimming come to mind first because I didn't know much about it before the kids started swimming team. (Hey, I still don't know much about it actually!)

OK I said I'd up date you so.....I'm now on the second of the 50 shades trilogy and on the point of giving up.... it really is sooo repetitive and badly written. Don't recommend it.

I did read a good book in the holidays though, 'The Thread' by Victoria Hislop about Thessalonika through the 20th century. We are now planning a trip there for Eid in mid October and then on to Thasos island, just for 4 days or so because we didn't get away in the summer. My husband's great grandparents actually came from Thessalonika in the 1920s when the Turkish and Greek populations were swapped back. I think I've mentioned it before because hubby went on a free trip there last year with the local municipality.  Most people living in our village have ancestors originally from Greece.

Anyway, I'm waffling...have a good'un.

xx

• Well done Franny- it is indeed Friday- how about lowering the tone with a nice picture? Pleased to here your ankle isn't too painfull.

Jude-The Thread is indeed a really good bock as our her others. Can't comment on 50 Shadses- sure Franny and Loula have something to say on it!!!

Chilli-That sounds good.Loula is meant to be doing an ultra that literally goes past my front door on 7/10. 3 people from my club are menat to be doing it,but, one is getting cold feet and I can see myeslf being pressurised to take her place!!

Did my 18.4 mile run this morning in 2.47 fairly happy with that - final long run on Sunday on the South Downs then a few short runs circa 3-4 miles then the New Forest Marathon on Sunday week....... 

• well done on all the swimming Jude and Franny

franny - good to hear your ankle isn't too bad

AF - well done on your run

well I did nothing today, I have just been sooo tired from work. I am sure in a week or two I will be back in the swing of things

• Well done AF! You are certainly getting lots of miles in.

Just back from 4 miles. Gosh it was hot. Apparently, it's gonna drop 10 degrees tomorrow.  I hope so! I want it to be Autumn!

• MC - The beginning of term is always a big shock. I'm sure you'll be back to your normal energetic self soon. Our students come back on Monday.....