Options

Motivation

Having run on and off for the past 4 years, I decided to do the Windsor Half. Trained, hit my goal of 2 hours (1:59:38 to be exact, and am still v. happy with it!), but found it hard (is it always that hard or was that course particularly hot & hilly?). However, I am assured that like childbirth the pain becomes a distant memory so, despite my saying never again, I may indeed do more races.

I have always thought of doing the London Marathon and next year would be the best time (given my level of fitness now). But what is the best way to train between now and then? I found that I was beginning to get bored of training just before Windsor, and I'm worried that if I carry on running now, by January I'll be fed up of it altogether.

What is the best thing to do? Should I persist with the running, mix it with cycling, or just cycle until January and then start training properly?

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Cross training is good. I find that it was best to do it on rest days which meant that I was exercising more than usual! My plan now is to better my half/10k times by running further in training and hopefully getting a decent time in London marathon (if I get a place)

Have you tried changing your routes to make it less boring?
  • Options
    The entry for the 2003 FLM closes mid October so don't think about it for too long. The chances of getting in are still slim however.

I try and motivate myself by running lots of races and its seems to be paying off at the moment. I would keep the running ticking over and maybe keep up 1 hour runs. Thay way you have a good base for next spring.

Well done getting your 1:59.
  • Options
    Thanks!

Have had my application for the Marathon sat on the table at home for the last month, debating whether to post it. Probably will!

What I think may work is if I cycle/cross train during the week and then maybe do a short and long (1hr) run at the weekend.

Problem also is due to bad posture etc., I strained my soleus a week before Windsor. Although it was all right for the race, (due to lots of rest and physio), it still isn't quite right. Guess I just need to get my act together and sort out orthotics and improve my posture....
  • Options
    First of all congratulations on your achieving your time target.

Get your application off the table and into the post. Given that you've just raced you are bound to be sore for a while and you may not feel like running again straight away.

After FLM 2002 (my first marathon) I continued to play sports and eventually my knees decided to give up on me by May. Rather than push my luck and keep running I started cycling more - in June touring the Pyrenees on a MTB averaging just over 90km a day. When I got back after 2 weeks I felt even fitter than I had before the marathon and kept up distance cycling on the weekends - usually around 100km was enough as I was also playing team sports 3 times a week.

I did a couple of triathlons over summer as well, and it's only since my team sports finished that I took up anything that looks remotely like a "proper" running programme. To my delight I ran Windsor in 1:49 and will be running Dublin in 4 weeks (will have to let you know how I get on).

My point is that you have worked hard to get up to your current level of fitness and it's not hard to maintain that aerobic base. Spend plenty of time on your bike over the coming weeks and perhaps add a bit of strength training in the gym to help you out with your posture. Try to keep a couple of maintenance runs in as well (as long as you're not aggravating your injury) and by December you should have a good base to start your marathon training on if you're not ready to get straight into it now.
  • Options
    Doid

Congratulations on your achievement. There's a 10k at Blenheim palace on 20th October which sounds interesting (I'm assuming you're based in that area of the world)