Runners world marathon programmes

Doing Brighton marathon in April. Following the advanced programme from runners world magazine. Target is sub 3. I've done London in 2010 (3:26) and Brighton in 2011 (3:19). Never really used a schedule before just winged it on about 4 days a week. What do you lot make of the schedule? Will it take me sub 3?

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    3.19 to sub 3 may be a tough ask.

What was your running like in 2012 eg, mileage, days training, races and PBs?
  • Didn't do any races last year, training pace was about 6:25, maintained the ability to knock out a relatively easy 10 miler at that all year. Averaged 3 days running a week, building up to more regular since mid October.
  • I'd say that was a big jump - but if the training is a lot better that you've normally done and you can cope with it - then its perfectly possible.

Try it and see - a practice half during it will give a better indication.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If you follow the plan and can cope with moving up to that amount of mileage then you could scrape a sub 3. You seem to have the speed so make sure you work on the endurance.
  • Thanks guys, sticking to it so far, although only 3 weeks in! My biggest issue is sticking to a slower pace on the long runs, but everything I read seems to maintain its important. 1min a mile slower than marathon pace is dull. What's your take on sticking to slower pace on long runs.
  • Essential.