Toilet Facilities at London Marathon

I'm running my first ever London marathon this year and although I'm excited I'm also very worried as suffering horribly from runners trots.  I've tried all sorts of remedies and diet changes, but as yet - nothing seems to work.  Can anyone who has done the marathon before advise/reassure  me on the toilet facilities for runners?  Thanks so much.  

Comments

• From memory - they're every 2 miles or so after mile 1. So you shouldnt have a problem. Immodium not doing the job for you ?

• Phew - that's good to know.  Thanks for that.  I did try Immodium once  (out of desperation)  but it gave me terrible stomach cramps, and ... believe it or not, I still had to stop after 4 miles!!  It's doing my head in.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Big queues at the start.  Get there early.

Thereafter, there are portaloos dotted around the course, but often a queue there too (and really, really grim when you do get in there).  There used to be a couple at mile 21, but they were missing this year.

Take your own toilet paper, too.

• there are also plenty of pubs en route - most of which will have supporters outside partaking of a few beverages while you're busting your arse. I doubt many landlords would stop you using their bogs in case of need.....

• The loos on the earlier part of the course will usually have less of a queue and be a bit less unpleasant. It's always wise to have a bit of loo roll or a couple of tissues with you though as the it runs out pretty quickly.

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

It's always wise to have a bit of loo roll or a couple of tissues with you though as the it runs out pretty quickly.

which part runs out quickly??image

• This is one time when crap advice is appreciated
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

there's always a lot en route and normally pubs/hotels/macdonalds dont mind you popping in. What's discouraged is peeing in people's gardens... so just be careful of that!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Or do a Paula and just do it at the side of the road.
  •  Try other forms of biding e.g eggs, cheese. Immodium usually works if taken the night before in my experience, not on the day! Try the extra strength. Good luck

• the toilet facilites are there, but there will be queues.

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    Loads of toilets. But loads and loads of queues. I spent the whole marathon looking at each queue thinking I'll just run to the next set of loos. Never went to any toilet. ( and before the wise cracks start - never went to the toilet either!)

My advice is see if you can fix the problem.....
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Best bet is to spend the next 15 weeks experimenting with diet and meal timings to see if you can solve the problem.

What I do now, after a couple of close calls,

From wednesday in race week

Cut out any high fibre foods

Cut out fruit, especially dried fruit inc. muesli.

Cut out spicy food

Cut out high fat food

Cut down on milk / lactose

Means a very boring and bland diet for a few days but no toilet worries.

May also be worth experimenting with the different variants of Imodium and also the supermarket own brands as these seem to have a less powerful

effect so may help.
  • Is the ratio of toilets to competitors better at the Gfa start?
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I hope so! Surely as a reward for our efforts we can have a relaxing pre race clear out.
  • Not sure what the ideal dos is but I take three immodium instants, one first thing and then two more an hour before the start -

• Im pretty sure i read recently that immodium can give you some kind of toxic poisoning.

Basically you are forcing something to stay in your body that shouldnt be, just be careful.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Keeping a virus in the body and runners trots are very different.
  • "keeping a virus in the body and runners trots are very different" very true Mills but who was saying anything about a virus? Could you explain why you said that please? I actually agree with Mark1982 but I don't understand your response.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I've heard people say that you shouldn't take immodium

If you have food poisoning or things like the norovirus etc as it stops you getting rid of the virus which sounds sensible. That's where I thought the toxic poisoning would come from, I'm no expert obviously.

Where are the toxins coming from if it's just normal food that you are eating. Which, if you were not running, would not give you a sudden urge to go for a number 2.
  • I think Millsy has actually given the solution in an earlier post- diet.

It sounds to be like you are maybe eating too close to your run or eating the wrong things, some people need to allow 3 hours or even more between having a meal and running.

I know bananas are a favourite meal for runners but they sometimes upset my stomach, i would keep a diary of what you are eating and come back on here for a bit more advice. Or even better maybe going to see a dietician/nutritionist.

On the day of the marathon you will probably need the toilet quite a lot before the race, this is normal, its just nerves!

It should settle down once the race is underway though.

Edit- something else i thought of ,

Are you taking on energy drinks/gels/sweets etc during your run? This could be potentially causing the problem too, when exercising the stomach needs blood to help break down the sugars that we take in, if someone is working really hard not enough blood can get to the stomach to digest the food because as it is being used elsewhere. This is usually when upset stomachs occur. Maybe try running at a slower pace see if that makes a difference.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I forgot about the bananas they do have an effect on me.
  • Thanks for all the tips/advice.  No, I don't take energy drinks and normally got running first thing before any breakfast.  Have started to cut out dairy and eat less fibre in hope that this may help. Wish me luck .... I'm gonna need it!