Hip pain

So after cross country season, my left hip would hurt occasionally after races. Now I'm doing track and it doesn't hurt as much. But last weekend I ran the 3000 Meter race in a meet and now it hurts again. This time the pain is more intense. I also noticed that my left knee has been locking randomly, and my left calve feels tight. My hip hurts to the point where I have to lay on my right side at night. Any help would be appreciated. By the way, I'm a high school athelete.

Comments

• RMcDRMcD ✭✭✭

You can't diagnose hip pain competently over the internet - just too many possible causes, many of which are relatively minor. Suggest you go to your GP who may refer you to a physio. It's not something you should ignore anyway. You can go direct to a sports physio if you prefer to avoid NHS delays; you'd have to pay but even one visit should at least give you an idea of what is wrong and what you can do to remedy it.

• Hi Molly. I used to, and sometimes still do, get a bit of pain in the left hip, although nothing as bad as what your's sounds like. I also tended to get all my niggles down the left side. Went to the physio and she very quickly diagnosed that my left hip was a bit higher than the right with less movement. She gave me a sequence of exercises to do every two days aimed at working the piroformis muscle as well as recommending more stretching / yoga in general. Things have gradually been better since. As the previous poster says, go to your GP and maybe get a referal to a physio.

• Thanks, and yeah I was planning on going to a doctor about it but I just wanted to get a general idea of what it was.