Yorkshire marathon 2013

Comments

• Think I started my training with a little too much vigourimage   5 steady miles run home on Monday, and then did my club interval training last night at Eccup but ended up doing 11.5 miles in total. Absolutly cream crackered after that, so im gonna have today off. Then a 5-a-side game on Thursday, park run on saturday (3 miles + 3 miles), and then Eccup on Sunday, bringing the 1sts weeks total in at 32 miles.

Ill be happy at that come sunday, and ive lost 4lbs already this week to boot. Result.

• Evening Folks

How's the training going? Seems like it is going well for everyone so....keep going folks.

Going to keep my target time at 3.29 for now, but looking at JohnnyBike's Otley time (4mins quicker than me) and target Eccup time (about 6-8mins quicker than mine) i'm not sure i'm being realistic.

Early days, will keep at it as following Sub 3.30 plan, no pain no gain and all that.

Keep on Running.

Gazza

• good to hear all well with you Gazzaimage Good first week training Sean, sounds nice and varied. Good when you realised you needed a rest day.

Long day at work and ferrying children around but mananged 5.5 with VO2 max bits in it. Did most of it but not all. But managed what I could and pushed myself. Need to listen to my mantra of what you do is what matters not what you don't do!

• Built my rest day in yesterday, felt tired after my track session, 7 miles with 5 at MP, it's a tough session but you do reap the benefits

First 20 miler on Saturday morning Earl Sterndale to Hazel Grove 75% of it in the hills, it's the last section of a Ultra I do every year

• Why is it I don’t listen to my own advice!!

I did the Humber Bridge half on Sunday (highly recommended) and promised myself I would do light bike work for the next two weeks to rest my already tight legs before pushing on for York.

Felt good and couldn’t resist doing a good temped 10K run this morning. I lasted 3 miles (at pace), got injured and walked the rest.

At least this will make me rest I guess…..

Silly boy image but well on target for York at least.

• Water stations - 4 on course and one at the finish
    • Cheer points, bands and music on course
    • Energy drinks at the finish

someone asked about drinks. Looks like water every 5 miles

• Only four water stations?  I'm pretty suprised at that.  And energy drinks at the finish rather than on the course is a bit stupid.  Disappointed with that image

• Thanks for the info App. I agree Tiny, I am used to water stations every couple of miles and the Jane T York 10k has 2 I think. Will see what it is like at Leeds next week. Feel an e-mail coming on...........

• Been tweeting the organisers - apparently that is the usual set-up for a 10k, not a marathon!  They've assured me the above info is incorrect and they'll be providing more details at a later date.  Phew!

• thanks Tiny

how is everyone's weekend running in the heat? I did 13 miles leaving at 6.30am yesterday. It was tough. Was supposed to run faster the last 3 miles but nearly impossible. I then rushed around and did a Tesco shop before collapsing in the afternoon. Suffered bad head, possible dehydration? and took to my bed. Mad person I am I was up early again this morning to run 5.5 with my daughter ready for Leeds 10k next week. Any tips for running in the heat would be appreciated! Funny as training for a spring marathon involves coping with the opposite extremes of snow and ice!image

• Did 24 miles yesterday morning in the hills followed by a 5 mile recovery this morning.

lily take plenty of fluids on and try to run in the shade.

• I did the Eccup 10 today - so hot, seemed like it was all uphill too! I felt I coped well with the heat - I drank loads of water yesterday, a bit this morning and just took on sips at the three water stations, tipped the rest over me! I tried this last week before Humber Half, and it worked. You need your wee to be really light in colour, then you know you are well hydrated. It's a fine line though - over hydrate and you will suffer with sodium in-balance. A sun hat helps too. 

Lily - tesco on a weekend is enough to make anyone collapse!

• Ooh lily I hope you're okay?  Sounds like you were definitely dehydrated.  I always take a drink with me on anything over 10 miles and would drinks lots if it was hot.  You also need to drink a lot when you've finished your run too, and throughout the day.  I hope you feel better soon.

bornagain - well done on your race!  It was soooo hot out there today.

Catforth 10K for me today.  Really felt the heat and there was no breeze whatsoever but managed to hold onto the pace.  Ended up smashing my PB out of the ball park (46:35 set two months ago) and romped home in 45:14.  Really pleased with that.  Back to marathon training tomorrow!

• Wow Tiny! A PB today is a fantastic achievement. 

• thanks Jonah, Tiny and bornagain for your concern and helpful suggestions. Much better today thanks imageWell done on the Eccup 10 bornagain especially in that heat.

WELL DONE Tiny on your pb, you really did smash it!

• Blimey that is a great 10k time Tiny! 

Eccup 10 was much harder than I expected too Bornagain which is daft because I do run round there fairly regularly. They seemed to have included all the hills, so that with the added bonus of the sunshine made it a tough run.

It was a PB for me but only because I've never run a 10 miler before.

Lily would definitely agree with what everyone said about staying hydrated the day before as well as on the day you run, sipping water all the time before and during the run itself plus loads afterwards. I made the mistake of having a couple of very weak Pimms yesterday afternooon - instant hangover after being dehydrated earlier during the run. 

And 24 hilly miles is just awesome Jonah. How did everyone else doing the Eccup 10 get on? There was quite a few wasn't there? 

• Yep Eccup 10 was choker full of hills. It really did take out a few runners yesterday. I saw loads walking up hills and or getting sick at the side of the road. The heat was really unbearable.

I make the mistake of having a few bevvies to many in the sun on saturday so I was quite dehydrated come sunday. Started the race at 7 min miling and by 6 miles I was down to 8:45 as my legs had completly gone!! Definitly a sober week and plenty of water and carbs ahead of the Leeds 10 on Sunday, as I have a feeling thats going to be a hot one too.

p.s. Anyone doing the Hyde park mile on Wednesday? Just deciding what the merits are of paying £7 to be timed for a mile run.

• Anyone get a flyer for the Abbey Dash at the Eccup 10? www.ageuk.org.uk/dash, real fast 10K, not so many hills!

• Thanks for the kind words everyone.  Have done a little race report here

Back to training tonight and it was tough!  Really struggled, just no energy left.  Not going to worry as it will just be because of yesterday's efforts.  Rest tomorrow and will get back on it on Wednesday image.

Eccup 10 sounds like a mother of a race!

• thanks Tiny, enjoyed reading your race report and loved those suns! Rest days are important aren't they.

I got up at 5.15 to run this morning. Glad I went then as it was hot when I returned at 6.45. Will try the same routine on Thurs. Sooo tired now though! Probably will leave out long run this week with Leeds 10k on Sunday.

• Good to hear everyone training well..

ive done  2 6 milers Monday and Tuesday alongside the River Giffre in the French Alps !!   Sounds hilly but dead flat. Rest day today , well white water rafting with my girls !!

long run planned Sunday as didn't do one last week as had just driven down. I hear the weather is scorchio in Yorkshire !!!

• I'm on my hols again, this time a cultural trip to Nat Trust places around Guildford. Our site backs onto the North Downs link - a disused railway line. Should be perfect for a long run. couldn't have planned it better if I'd tried! No races now until end of the month, time for some structured training. 

• hope you have a good time Bornagain, I spent Easter with my sister in Guildford and we went to Clandon Park and Winkworth Arboretum, also been to Polesdon Lacy and another one I think. Hope you had a great time, how was your long run? A disused railway line sounds a great routeimage. I have been up at 5.15 this week for two runs and am so tired, trying to run in the cool but feel shattered now! Will do long run on Sat then have Leeds 10k on Sunday. Not too bothered about time just happy to be running with my daughterimage

App your runs in the Alps sound amazing. Hope your long run goes well. How was the rafting?

• Thanks lily. We did Clandon, hatchet park and polesden lacy today. The railway line is great for running - tree lined and shady. Did a faster run this evening over 5 miles, planning to do 15 miles on Saturday or Sunday evening. It's so refreshing to run in a different place. Well done for getting up so early, I could never do that. Have a great run in Leeds, who's going to win? My daughter hated it when I beat her in a race - she's worked hard so it doesn't happen again!

• Ha! Def my daughter, as she always manages a sprint finish!image

• I definitely need to get out early on Sunday and do a decent length run - I'm only managing 5 or 6 miles twice during the week and it's been so hot I haven't been able to put much effort into them. 

Loved your race report Tinyrunner, you are running the speeds I want to but can't image Good luck in the Leeds 10k Lily and daughter! After two races in two weeks I'm looking forward to a long slow local plod round my favourite routes. Will aim for 14 or 15 and see how I get on. 

• Nightmare, got a cold and sore throat. Can't run. Managed abseiling and canyoning. Really need to get a long run in this weekend

Good luck to everyone in Leeds 10k

• Just wondering, can you transfer your place over to next year? x

• That's a shame App66, and on holiday too. Abseiling sounds fun, not so sure about canyoning tho! 30 degrees here today, still planning on a long run later, but it's gonna be pretty slow. 

• 18 miles done and dusted nice easy pace, feet up in the garden for the rest of the day

best of luck to the rest of you, take plenty of water , I took 2 bottles and had to buy another one whilst out.