Options

Yorkshire marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Dr Dan, I agree with you. I think not being allowed to defer or transfer will only encourage people to give their number to friends, and not tell the organisers. Very wrong and not to be encouraged, but sadly, it's what will happen. 

• Options
    Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭

Morning all image

Is anyone else doing the Berlin Marathon 3 weeks before? I'm just wondering how to train during the 3 weeks in between and balancing rest, taper and keeping the running going. Thanks!

• Options

Morning everyone,

Stimpy - are you following a plan?  If you're aiming to run under 8 minute miles on race day you should actually complete your long runs much slower than this - about 10-20% slower.  A lot of plans will then gradually introduce 'marathon paced sections' into your long runs, normally towards the end of the run when you're on tired legs.  If you're doing all of your running at marathon pace you're at risk of leaving your best performance on the training field and not completing the other quality sessions for the next week.  By the sounds of it though you are well on track for your sub-4!  Great effort image

Gazza - sounds like your training is going brilliantly, well done!

I'm going for my second 20 miler later this week.....I really hope it feels better than the first time!

• Options

I'm just doing my own thing which I realise isn't the best idea, but it's just trying to fit the runs in! I'll have a look at some plans. Thanks. 20 miles still seems a long way away for me!

• Options

Not to worry stimpy - sometimes it's better to do your own thing than to worry and stress about fitting in certain sessions on certain days.  BUt I really think that if you slow down on your long runs they'll feel much easier and you'll be able to go much further image.  If you've already done 17 miles then 20 is only a parkrun on top! Well, that's how I think of it anyway when I start to struggle.

• Options
    NykieNykie ✭✭✭

Dr. Dan, totally agree with you. A lot of those people who signed up would have thought, 'I did a 10k, I can do a marathon'. They did it for publicity, which worked, but I think that they need to re-think their transfer of number policy. It's going to cause a lot of people just to run under someone else's name, which could be an issue if there's a lot of under-trained people on the course.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

They say ... 6000 runners at the York 10K ... actually, 4550 finishers (73%).
    They say ... 10000 runners at the Leeds 10K ... actually, 7045 finishers (70%).
    They say ... 6000 runners at the Leeds HM ... actually, 4530 finishers (76%).

That's potentially a lot of unused entry fees pocketed. It's an issue caused by it being a fund-raising event organised by a charity for fund-raisers, rather than a running race organised for runners.

York Marathon ... 6100 places ... lets see how many finishers.image

• Options

This is why I don't really like these big charity runs. How much of the money raised actually goes to the charities, and how much has to pay the wages? Reminds me of the TV programme the night before the London Marathon, exposing how little goes to the charities, and the ridiculously high wages that the bosses get. Having said that, a lot of folk raise sponsorship, and a lot will go to good causes. 

• Options

Hi folks. Just found this forum and have been really enjoying reading about your progress over the last few months. This will be my first marathon and it is getting a bit too close for comfort now! I look forward sharing the next few months with you image

• Options

Welcome Stimpy and Mark and any others I have missed. Hope training going well. I am still in France managing 4 miles every other day and lots of swimming and cycling. Scary moment a few days ago when I got stuck on a rock in rapids while canoeing with my daughter and had to be rescued! Hope I can pick up my plan ok when I get home. Made it 18 weeks to allow for hols but feel I have a long way to go! image

• Options

Thanks Lilly. I'm off to France at the end of the week too so will have a lull for a couple of weeks. I have been building up my distance VERY slowly since May. Last week I ran a total of 40 miles with 18 of them on my Sunday long run, so I am very happy with where I am. My pace is slow though, so I am thinking about doing some speed work over the next few weeks and pick up my distance running again in September.

• Options

Hi stimpy and muckles.  I use the Runners World training plan, but extended the number of weeks for various reasons - holidays, races etc, so I have been building up really slowly and hopefully avoid injuries. So far, it's working and I reckon I'm on track. 20 miles next week though - gulp! 

• Options

Hi Bornagain, good luck with the 20 miles. I'll be doing that in ~4 weeks time all being well. I am going to have a few weeks rest from the really long runs while I'm on holiday but will try and do some more pace work as I have been a bit lazy on that count. I am hoping for 4:30 on the day but am off that pace so far I think. Especially if it more hilly than East Anglia where I live which I guess itis bound to be!

• Options

Hi everyone,

Just got the e-mail from the organisers, that race packs will be going out W/C 9th September, it's getting closer folks.

I've just got my GNR race pack this week excited and looking forward to the experience along with some 56,000 others. Must remember not to be tempted to overdo things and come a cropper.

This weeks efforts will be 18 miles running, 14 miles on the bike and 28 miles walk in the Yorkshire Dales.

I'm planning on a 20 mile LSR next week.

Happy Hols and Training everyone

• Options

Welcome Muckles image

CAn't wait to get the race pack.  It definitely feels more real when you get your race number.  Still worrying about the lack of road closures though.........

Sounds like folk are beginning to plan their 20 milers in the next week are two, fantastic effort! I'm looking to do my second one tomorrow and I'm going to run the same route as the first one, seeing if I can manage to take a bit of time off it.  Will still be very slow and relaxed though.  I think you've got it spot on bornagain regarding building up slowly and avoiding injuries.  I'm following an 18 week plan but turned it into a 20 week plan and it's working a treat so far image.

• Options

I'm a bit stressed about going on holiday for the next two weeks because I'll have to pause the training. I'm worrried about how far away my next long run will be. How did that happen? Am I getting addicted already?

• Options

Evening all, glad to see everyone is still at it. Cut back week this week, I managed 40 miles last week and am feeling it in the legs. Camping this weekend which will do my back the world of good (not!)

Gearing up to The Big 20 next weekend.......

• Options

Well, after doing 9 miles on Sunday with ease and absolutely loving the run, I did a steady 5 miles on Tuesday.

I set off on an 8 miler last night and immediately felt very uncomfortable. I couldn't settle, my legs felt like lead and I would have rather have been doing anything else at that time. I stuck it out though and completed the run.

This is the first time I've not wanted to run and had negative thoughts whilst running. I feel quite proud of myself for working through it. I feel absolutely fine this morning.

A rest day today then a slow 3 miles on Saturday before 11 miles on Sunday. My first time beyond double figures!

I hope everyone is having a good week.

• Options

So the weekend is upon us, and time for those long slow runs. I'm having an easier run this time, only 11 or 12 miles or so. I've done some faster runs during the week - mile reps etc. I know how you feel about heavy legs and negative feelings Liam, I think it happens to us all. Well done fsit getting through it, and good luck for your 11 miles - that will be a great feeling when you finish.

Muckles, it is so addictive, but in a good way I think.

Tiny, how many 20's are you going to do? I reckon I'll only manage 2 more. Hopefully my training buddy is back on track and will keep me company on at least one of them.

Good luck with your Big20 Susan!

• Options

PS Have a successful weekend everyone. 

• Options

Hi All,

I am looking for a place for the Yorkshire Marathon so if anyone hears of one that isn't going to be used or someone that has to pull out I would greatly appreciate you letting me know!

Tri x

• Options

Bornagain - hoping to do at least two more, so four in total.  Apparently one of the golden rules of mara training is that your five longest runs should add up to 100.  I'll be happy with 95 or more though.

I'm pleased to report that the second 20 did feel slightly easier than the first one a couple of weeks ago - but not that much!

HAving a cutback week next week with some shorter but speedier runs - can't wait image.  Enjoy the weekend everyone.

• Options

Hi TriAims. As we understand it, the organisers won't allow transfers of numbers. Have you tried the charities - they may still have places. Good luck! 

• Options

Tri Aims I got my place through the Jane Tomlinson Appeal, you could try there?

Liam you learn as much if not more from the tough runs as you do from the good ones - well done for sticking it out.

Born again, I did 4x20 for my last marathon, but I found it took a lot out of me. Think I may do 2-3 this time.

• Options

A successful weekend!

I gave the smaller run on Saturday a miss due to how I felt during the 8 miles on Thursday. I'm glad I did because the 11 miles I did on Sunday morning went perfectly. I felt great from the start and finished even stronger.

I also did the entire run without the support bandage on my calf. Result.

I feel fine this morning other than the usual post run stiffness. I hope everybody had equally as good a weekend?

• Options

15.2 miles done yesterday around the lovely grouds of Harewood house via eccup reservoir and the Leeds country way. I wasnt worried about time, I just wanted to get the distance under my belt. It felt really good and was probably the most enjoyable run of the year. Was a belting route and I would recommend to anyone who wants a scenic run. The only drawback was their were plenty, and I mean plenty of hills.

• Options

good to read how everyone is getting on image well, back from lovely hol in France all geared up to resume training but will still be hard over next couple of weeks with children off school and next week to see family in Dorset. Not the short runs I find hard but disappearing off for hours on end to do a long run. I have picked up my plan but quickly put it away as it seems too daunting! Pleased to do a comfortable 9.5 yesterday. May go out with my daughter this afternoon as we are training for another 10k then extend it a bit. Only 9 weeks away and I am not feeling ready. I so want to break the 5 hour mark but maybe set myself too much of a challenge (previous maras 5.17 and 5.22).......sure I will get going soon...

• Options

Welcome back LilIy, good running folks. 

It's official I'm as "Hard as Dales" myself and youngest son completed the Jane Tomlinson Yorkshire Dales Walk for All, 28 miles across the dales. It was the hardest medal I've earned, harder than walking the Yorkshire 3 peaks. I must admit I'm not used to the Dales and didn't think there were hills that big in "Gods own Country".

Leg 1 Settle to Malham, a good stiff walk, past Kirby Fell only a warm up for things to come. Leg 2 through Malham Cove and the 400 steps, driving rain a cold wind, rough terrain, things improved at Malham Tarn. Leg 3 OMG up Fountains Fell, it's big and remote, things starting to take their toll, my youngest was not the most active but he is determined. Leg 4 Pen-y-Ghent detour preventing us getting to the peak, due to strong winds, arrived in Horton thinking 20+ miles done, the big hills behind us. Legs 5 & 6 stings in the tail, two biggish hills, with double backs, hard and went on too long. Getting tired especially the getting over high stiles, marshalls using it's only a couple of miles or it's downhill, which didn't help the youngest, he got tired to the point of painful but did it, in just 12 hours.

The weather was mostly good, the scenery breathtaking, inspirational, the challenge mad. Would I do it again maybe not but walking festivals yes. This fell walking was a challenge, the mud, terrain, the hills and quite a mix of people of all ages. A good weekend in the Dales. Stiff and satisfied, proud of my son for just toughing it out.

It feels like it must be good for the marathon training.

• Options

SKD - fantastic achievement, well done to both of you! 

Welcome back Lily, is it really only 9 weeks away? Argh! 

Glad to hear you've had a better run Liam. 

• Options

Hi all, good to see how people are doing. I'm down in Provence for a couple of weeks. MUCH hotter and MUCH hillier than Suffolk. I enjoyed 10 miles this morning before it got too hot image really only 9 weeks???