Yorkshire marathon 2013

Comments

• Hey all, do you mind if I join in? I've just found this page and it sounds like you're all making great progress.    This is my second marathon. I ran London in 2011 and, despite the amazing atmosphere, I found the last 10 mies tortuous and didn't really enjoy it. My running faded after London and I swore never to do another marathon - but then I saw that a marathon was coming to York and here I am! My motivation this time is that I'm determined to just enjoy it!!   I've built up my running again this year, training for the Brass Monkey in January (which was subsequently cancelled!) and I ran the Leeds half in May with a friend in 2:08. I then went on to get a pb in the York 10k of 48.59. I was over the moon with that.   I'm really looking forward to the day but I must admit to feeling absolutely knackered with all this training. I have my first 20mile run planned for this weekend, which I must admit is terrifying me slightly. I'm off to Pickering for the weekend so I think I'll run to Scarborough and meet the family there. At least I can look forward to an ice cream or fish and chips on the beach as a reward!    Hope the training is going well everyone. As you've probably gathered I also live in York and I'm also happy to answer any questions about the area if I can.
  • Welcome 'Not so great north runner'.  Great to have you with us.  But I reckon you need to erase the 'not so' from your username - positivity is key!

I think if we're honest we're all feeling pretty knackered too, so you're not alone.  Good luck with the 20miler.  Sounds like a great plan to know that there are fish and chips / ice cream at the end of it!

Hope you're having a good holiday Lily.

• +2 For ditching the headphones, I don't think it is possible to enjoy a road race properly whilst plugged into music, you are missing out on so much of the atmosphere.

• Hi all, this thread is really picking up pace as the race date nears and its great to hear so many positive people talking about their aspirations for the race, its really encouraging me.

I did 17.2 miles on bank holiday Monday and that was my longest run this year. Again like others here my legs completly went with 3 miles to go, but it was a pretty hilly course so the way you've got to look at it is York will be flat, thus we should find it easier going (well in theory anyway). 2:40 time which I was slightly dissapointed at as it was well off my planned pace, but at least I got round injury free.

I did a 10k on the canal at lunch yesterday, and that felt fast, and my body overall felt good with no major aches or pains. 46 mins, pretty happy with that.

Music: No no no. soak up the atmosphere and chat with your fellow runners en route. It will really help you through. I ran the Hull marathon last year with music and had to take my headphones off after 15 miles as it was doing my nut in. Never again for a race.

Not so great North Runner. Welcome. I dont think I know any runner who enjoys the last 10 miles of a marathon, so your not on your own there. I remember going up 'heartbreak hill' on mile 17 of the liverpool marathon last year, and that was a game changer that hill. The legs were finished after that and I hated every single stride for the remainder of the race.

• Thanks for the Welcomes! You could be right right Tiny Runner, maybe it's time to ditch the "not so" part of my user name... Not So Great North Runner!! I like the sound of that!

It's good to know that I'm not the only one that found the last 10miles of a marathon excruciating, Sean. Though I did learn a couple of things from London that should help me this time round. One is not to get carried away by the support half way around and think you can run faster than you actually can. Never good in a marathon. The other is not to leave your gels with your wife at the start line. Also, really not recommended!

I've been wondering about the music issue also. In the past I have not listened to music whilst running at all but recently I've really relied on music to get me through my runs. I never it on loudly so that I can hear traffic, respond to dangers etc. I think I'll decide nearer the time.

Good luck with the long runs this weekend.

• Evening. My last day in France tomorrow then home to start the last 4 weeks of training of long runs and some speed work before 3 weeks of taper... my 1st time, how does that sound to the more experienced of you?  I use audio books to help me through my long runs, the miles drift by quickly when the story is engaging, but I don't plan to take my iPod out on the day. M

• hi there, thanks Tiny, just back from Dorset and planning my 16 miles tomorrow, relieved this was the distance I was running 8 weeks before my last marathon, though still feel behind!

Welcome Great North Runner (echo Tiny's sentiment!)

Good to hear from everyone else too.

Muckles doing your longest run about 3 weeks before sounds a good plan then taper.

• Hi everyone, welcome newcomers, nice to see the thread getting so busy.

Never used music for races and wouldn't.

Just to share my Chester experience, running for sub 4, Ok to 13 miles felt great at 1.56, got carried away and was 2.55 at 20 miles, to fast, the wheels fell off at 21.5 miles, I took 68 mins for the last 6 miles, it hurt a lot, my 10k PB was sub 50, I came in at 4.03.51 so was OK with the time, not the best experience. You learn the hard way doing marathons, that was my fifth and still made a pigs ear of it.

Just got back from training runs in Belgium and France it was flat, parkrun run plus and LSR Monday 20 miles.

• Hi everyone, welcome great north runner. Good to hear how everyone is doing, I'm over in The Lakes just now, not a lot of 3G so there won't be many posts from me! Bit of retail therapy today, gazing longingly at the salomon fellcross shoes! Got some mountains to climb, so just doing a few easy runs. Bit of a hiccup after my 20 miler last week - BP very high, so got to have some tests and ECG. Just the thought of pulling out fills me with dread. Hope you all have a good weekend. 

• Thanks for sharing your story of Chester Skd, sounded tough but you did well.

Oh no Bornagain, sorry to hear of your BP, really hope you feel better and can continue training.

Well, I had one of those bad runs today. Because of family and work did not get out till 10.30 for planned 16 mile run. It was hot but I had 2x500ml bottles of water, gel etc. Decided to try to run at my marathon pace of 11.5 min miles. Going well till I fell over on my already bruised and cut knees after 50 mins trying to get a dextrose out while going down a bumpy track. Shaken but picked up my pace and completed 8 miles in planned time. Then struggled after that getting slower and slower. Husband kindly brought me water at just under 14 miles and offered me a lift home. I was not in good state and struggling to get deep breath. Declined his offer, walked then jogged last 2 miles home. Feel a bit better now but have headache. So, I wonder if I will really be able to run another marathon in 51 days. I so want to and will keep training butimage...

• Lily chin up, you can do itimage,50 days yikes.

I've managed to trip up on a couple of occasions.

I was a DNF at Luton marathon, as I fell 3 miles in, don't know how, tripped or ankle wobble, result was Hands grazed but not bleeding, felt OK was really embarrassed with a number of other runners in close proximity. I kept running Luton was undulating and a 3 lap race, Finished lap 1, got to half way and the marshalls and St.Johns nearly dragged me off the course as my knee and shin were just covered in blood, they did a great job cleaning up the wound, it took over 15 mins, I carried on but was getting slower and slower and I stopped after lap 2, I just couldn't carry on, so no medal, it was the right decision for me on the day, no point in pushing for a further 8 miles. Dusted myself down and had a break and started planning my next races, it just made me more determined to find another race and focus on training. I still have the scars.

Stuff happens, up and on, to infinity and beyond, well parkrun on this fine sunny morning.

• Thanks for sharing that Skd, I guess we learn from the tough runs and better now than  on the day. Feeling really rough today so trying to relax and drink lots ready for local 10k tomorrow. Tripped twice in a week so knees look bad and hands tender! Just hope I will be ready come race day ...... Hope you had a good Park Runimage

• 21 miles done and dusted!  I don't think the long runs will ever be easy but they're definitely getting a bit more comfortable.  Going to pig out on take away and beer later, can't wait.

Good luck for tomorrow lily - enjoy it!

• Hi all

I entered all excited as soon as this race was announced - I love York, and my sister lives there, so I was prepared to go to a 2nd marathon this year.

But then I got a wierd neural problem in my lower right leg& Was out for 3 months, on top of a likely related bout of Morton's Neuroma for a month or so over Christmas.

So I managed a half 3 weeks ago, and have since done 10ish & last Sunday 14 miles, with a 10 mile multiterrain race tomorrow.

I think I can fit in a 17 next week, 20s the 2 subsequent weeks, but I haven't done any of the speedwork or even tempo runs I did for London in a 20 week build-up.

Still, I think my endurance is pretty good as I kept up 3 hour Aqua Jog sessions & bike sessions throughout.

I was thinking of jogging round as a recce for next year, but keep dithering.
  • well done Tiny, that's a great distance, hope you enjoyed your takeaway and beersimage

welcome Reikerabbit, sorry you have have been injured. My training the last few weeks sounds similar to yours, long runs and a few others but no speed. I hope to return to that next week. I will run on Oct 20th but maybe not quite as prepared as I had hoped. I think the long runs are the most important part of mara prep. I wonder what others think?

Well I am off to run the Tholthorpe 10k with my daughter this morning, still feel rough from my tough 16 miles on Saturday. Need to be there with her and to pace her....

how is everyone else?image

• Lily, sorry to hear you had a bad run yesterday - I suspet that none of us are going to get to the start line without having either missed runs or had rough ones but the important thing is that you finished it despite it being tough - it doesn't matter if you had to walk a bit, you still did the miles. I think we can be our own worse enemies by focusing on runs that don't go well rather than just ticking the box and forgetting them. Hope your 10K went well today.

I set off for 20miles today, managed 19.5 so pretty pleased but it was hard work. A very kind friend cycled with me carrrying drinks, gels and jelly babies etc which must have been dull as ditchwater for him but boy was it good to have company on a long run!

Hope eveyone else is doing ok and no more injuries. 

• Hung over image too much, beer, wine, whisky, had a good time, so rest day today hence20 mile LSR tomorrow. parkrun yesterday was sunny just over 22 mins 39th out of 300, not too bad, didn't want to push it too much as I have two HM's the next two weeks, a local one then the biggie GNR in two weeks. So back to running and on my best behaviour that's the plan.

All the best everyone.

• Thanks tishtosh for your encouraging wordsimage well done on your lsr sounds like you have a star friend. Great time for Park Run Skd, hope lsr goes well tomorrow. Well I ran local 10k with my daughter and she knocked 4 mins off her pb so was really proud of her. Really nice small run, well organised with great support and atmosphere. Mug for all finishers followed by drinks and homemade cakes in the village hall. Feeling inspired to pick up my plan againimage

• Hi everyone, have had a few days in the Lakes with a friend. Stunning there, and I would've loved to run there more but I was with a friend and our three children each so just managed a couple of short ones. 16 today for me, ok but it was hot. Better than last week's epic battle 20 miler at least. And I cling to the knowledge that you learn more from the bad runs than the good ones, right?

Tried my friends tried and tested formula of very very easy for 12 miles then 4 faster. I liked the variation in pace, and I think bringing a bit of discipline to my runs is a good idea. 

Enjoy your week everyone. 

• Hi All,

Some very long runs being done now! I did just under 14 miles yesterday and felt good afterwards. I even went crazy and timed it. Came in at 1:56:03 which I was suprised but very pleased with.

It's starting to get to that time where I need to think about my (in run) hydration and fuelling strategy. Something I'm not experienced in at all with me only doing 5k & 10k races before. Anybody have any advice? Thank you.

• Congratulations to Lily and daughter a 4 min pb is fab

21mile LSR today 10 min miles so on target, weather bright but breezy, uneventful,felt  better than he first 20 miler, so good miles in the bag.

Liam on race day I'll take 6 high five gels (apple flavour) taking one every 4 miles approx. with water from the drinks stations, they work for me, as I've been using these from my first marathon. I'll also have a supply of jelly babies for the later stages if needed.

I can't stomach sports drinks, too sweet, makes me feel sick. I did like the jelly blocks at Manchester don't know what they were.

Don't leave it to the day, you need to practice with what you plan to take on the day.

My only advice find what works for you and then stick to it.

• I use the High 5 gels, depending on the conditions I might take 4-5. I can't stomach many gels or drinks. Having said that I realised after yesterday's 16 miles I'd forgotten to take the gel I had with me, though I did eat half a Powerbar. Skd 14, were they the Clif Shot Bloks? I like those!

• Susan I like your varied pace plan for your long run, might try that for my 18.5 planned for Thurs as attempting marathon pace the whole way did not work last week!

Thanks Skd, my daughter is so chuffed with herself and encouraged to continue running and I enjoyed being by her sideimage glad your lsr went well.

Liam I take a gel every hour, like the high 5 ones and also dextrose tablets approx every half hour, and water of course. For me nutrition before and after the race vital too. Honey on toast and coffee a couple of hours or so before. I also have a cheese sandwich and cola ready straight afterwards. Never feel like eating but suffer if I don't and of course keep up the hydration. Like Skd says practice beforehand. There may be gels given out on the day but I would always advise taking your own as they can run out!

Bought new running shoes today, not a good day to do it with 2 swollen toes! Easy but hilly 5 miles for me this morning. Some "speedwork" tomorrow then rest before biggy on Thurs.

Hope everyone okimage

• Lily what is your marathon pace? Don't try to do your whole training run at it, you'll be exhausted before the race starts! You could try really easy for say 12 miles, 4 at marathon pace, 2 at slightly faster if you can. So for me that might be 11.20, 11, 10.45. You'll still get the endurance benefit plus the benefit of the hopefully faster miles at the end. 

Am slightly bricking it about my 20 mile race on the 15th, looks very hilly. And I'll have no excuse for stopping (oh I need more water, oh look my laces seem a bit loose, I need a poo, was that my phone ringing?image )

• Thanks all. I've ordered some High 5 products and will give them a go in my training runs and see how it goes.

• thanks for that Susan, my marathon pace will hopefully be 11.20-11.30 with the dream of completing run in 5hrs. So maybe I should do my long runs at 12 and then 11.20 then 11? What do you think? I appreciate your adviceimage

where is your 20 mile race? You will be fineimage

• I agree with Susan on LSR pace, I run my LSR's at marathon pace +1min, your running on tired legs during training, which for me is 40 miles per week plus getting ready for a marathon. If I can I do a couple of miles close to marathon pace near to the end that's great but I want to save the big effort for race day when the pace will be sub 9 mins. I supplement LSR's with a much faster parkrun, interval and hill sessions. I have done 20 mile races at sub 2.55 but I'm happy with a LSR at 3.20 finishing strong. It's a balancing act for me training mostly at a steady pace so I get to the start line fit just so the training is just that training, needless to say, I'm well into my 50's, so glad to be able to do these mad things. I have 2 HM's planned so the mileage will drop back to 35 ish for these weeks, then hopefully two further LSR's before a 3 week taper.

Liam gels do take some getting used to, hence the water and think of the benefits in the big picture.

• Hi there,   Been great reading ur posts & fab running. I've posted quite a bit in the past about the route but not really spoken about my running.   This will be my 4th marathon after running London, New York & Berlin. marathon pb 4.18, half marathon 1.52 & 10k 49min. I not the fastest runner but Love running.    Im following a runners world sub 4hr plan, longest run a confident & comfortable 17ml on the marathon route. (Little bugger hill at 12ml ish). Hoping for around 4hr mark but we shall see.   I use a mixture of sis gels every 45min & shot blocks. I feel listening to music is very personal & has helped me the last 6ml of a marathon when I've had to dig deep.   Happy running everyone.
  • Give it a go Lily, I know in some ways it seems counter-intuitive but the aim is to get to the end of the first (very easy) section feeling totally comfortable and ready to face the next section. I used to do all my long slow runs too fast, at least for the first half, and would end up crawling the last few miles feeling defeated. I find that slowing down for at least the first half is more of a confidence booster. If you can then hit marathon pace, or close to it, for the last few miles - on legs that have already done a long run - you're giving yourself the confidence to know you can do it on the day. You will still be doing slightly faster workouts on other days, so it's not like you'll forget what marathon pace feels like.

The 20 miler is the South Cheshire 20 in Crewe. A long way from me, but I think it will be a good training run. I'll keep the pace slow, made the mistake of doing a 17 mile race just before London, very hilly course and I did it at 10.40mm pace. Madness. Way too fast, 30 seconds per mm faster than my marathon pace. Yes it felt good at the time but it left me shattered!

• Hello Skiprat image   - I heard on marathon talk they have slightly changed a short section of the route? Any other hints or tips on the course very welcome!