Yorkshire marathon 2013

Comments

• Hello all, I just stumbled across this thread looking for advice about gels. Looks like High 5 are the preferred option, I'll try them out at the weekend. Getting very excited about my first marathon in my home city.

Simon - if you are prepared to stay two nights you should be OK. You could try http://www.yorkrooms.com/ which is the accommodation site for the University. Needless to say they are fully booked for the Saturday night, but they have recommendations for places nearby as long as you stay two nights. Could be tricky if you can only stay one...

• Hi Simon,

There are quite a few guest houses around Helington Lane, Fulford Road & Broadway also some hotels on Piccadilly, all these areas are fairly close to the start. image

• Morning! Talking of parking logistics - Skiprat where would you suggest parking nearby? I think £5 for each person is a bit steep for the park & ride option! I had thought we would park at Grimston Bar Park & Ride and walk to start but is that a bit of a trek?

Also any recommendations for somewhere in the vicinity for a late Sunday lunch? Going to be a few friends running too so thought a get together after to congratulate / commiserate would be fun! (and it's my birthday!) Thanks!

• Skiprat, how was your 19 miles? Thank you, I would really appreciate advice re parking. I live north of York so will be coming in on A19 to Rawcliffe. I ideally would like to keep my family with me! Don't mind a few minutes walk to the start.

Hi Yorkshire Plodder, hope training going well.

Welcome Simon and CosmicGazimage

"Rest" day for me today then plan 21 miles tomorrow. Really want to do 20 so am thinking of walking the last mile. Would that be a good idea do you think? Would it be a recovery? It is just how long my gmaps plan has worked out! Thanks.

• Hells bells - grimston bar park & ride is a fair trek from the start & not sure if the buses will run so early & they usually close the park & ride with a barrier if not open. To celebrate ur achivement :0) there isnt really any places to eat nr the finish but Loads of restaurants/bars in the city centre but most do pub grub rather than Sunday lunch. Meltons too on walmgate do a fab Sunday lunch but def book it. Oscars, stone gate yard, lamb & lion all are nice places to eat. Hope that helps. 

Hells bells & Lily - i would try & come into york on the monks cross/malton road area & head towards a road called melrosegate, there are streets off there millfield lane, Alcuin ave which shouldn't be effected by road clousure, no double yellows or permit parking, & pretty safe leaving cars & 10mins max to the start. I hope this is good advice as not sure how much traffic etc will be about so earlier parking wud be better. 

Lily- just finished 19ml, felt good thank you, bang on 3hr, ran most of the marathon route. Good luck with ur 21ml tomoz, maybe just see how u feel at 20ml & if u have some energy left keep running that last mile. :0)

• I did it! Another 20 miles under the belt, boy does it feel good. Actually that's a lie, I ache and I'm tired, but really pleased with how I coped, much better than last time.  I decided to play safe, and chose a multi lap course so I could head home if injuries objected, also meant I could stash an extra bottle of water behind a hedge. I took electrolyte with me too, and I think that helped. Quite surprised to find I was quite burnt on my shoulders and neck, didn't think it was that sunny. Could have done without The Hollies singing 'The road is long, with many a winding turn, that leads us to who knows where etc etc', made me chuckle though. I took everyone's advice and kept my speed down to a minute per mile slower, felt really slow at first but paid off, as I maintained the pace the whole way. So, five weeks to go - hope everyone is managing to stay positive.   
  • Brilliant Bornagain and Skiprat! Nothing like a confidence boosting long run. 

10 miles today while waiting for my oldest son to do his 11+, very hilly Chilterns route, but it took my mind off worrying about him. I'm doing the Crewe 20 miler on Sunday, so I won't do much now until then. I've splashed out on a Camelbak, quite excited to try it image 

Simon, I'm staying two nights in Harrogate (Saturday and Sunday), haven't planned my travel yet beyond that so any tips welcome.

• Skriprat - Cheers for the heads up, i'll have a look online tomorrow in those areas.

I'm travelling up from London, so ideally accomodation will be within a walk or easy public transport to the start at least. If anyone else is travelling up on the Saturday from South Engalnd/London area of the country let me know and we can trade war stories over a long commute up.

If anyone wants to have a quiet beer/coffee Saturday afternoon/eve to calm the nerves also drop me a message!

• thanks Skiprat, that is really helpfulimage may take a drive and check out the roads, combining it with driving the marathon route. Congrats on LSR, do you think it is a good marathon route? Lots of places for spectators? Getting nervous now!

Brilliant Bornagain! Loved reading your LSR report.

Susan, hope your son got on ok. Great to do a hilly route.

Off for my LSR shortly. Have had a headache for a couple of days. Hopefully this will blow it away!image

• Good luck on Sunday Susan. Having seen the forecast I don't think you'll need the camelbak - just look skywards and open your mouth! Seriously though, I hope it's not too bad for you. I remember how bad I felt when my kids were doing entrance exams - worse than their first day at school! Hope he's done ok. 

Good luck with your LSR today Lily. Just been reading an article by Marathon guru about the runners high after long runs, certainly do feel good afterwards. 

• Your welcome Lily, hope ur long run went ok. I have never been a fan of the route but I love the big marathons & love the crowd support. If I'm honest the route is very rural as predicated but i have grown to like it. There are long stretches of rural roads & not a lot about, its not easy but achievable. 

There are lots of places in the first few miles and last few miles to spectate, but i don't think we will have many on the majority of the rural roads & a166 but we will have each other :0).

What we don't want is wind as there isnt any shelter from it. I will keep my fingers & toes crossed :0)

• Thanks for the info Skipratimage

Bornagain we certainly deserve runners high after all the milesimage

Well, did manage 21 miles! A nice route through 8 villages, weather fine for half then rain. Only hassle was hooting from a lorry driver. Managed just one mile at my mp but the aim more today was to get round and keep running. So overall happy. Now time for chocolateimage

• Well done Lily. The best bit about the  LSR recovery is the guilt free-choccie! 

Hellsbells, we've just been to the Toby Carvery on the Malton Road, that's another idea for Sunday celebratory lunch. £5.99 for 4meats and as much veg as you can eat. 

• Just caught up on the thread after not being on for a while, good to see what everyone is up to, I'm also running the south cheshire on Sunday, not been to that distance yet so will hopefully learn a few things from it! I'm another fan of High 5 productsimage

• Well done Bornagain, Skiprat and Lily on your LSRs. I've been really tired this week. I think the race last Sunday took so much out of me, but it will be of benefit in the long run (no pun intended!)   Rest day today in preparation for twenty one miles tomorrow. I may take your lead Lily and aim to walk the last mile - I'll see how it goes. I'm going to run round most of the route, especially the rural parts, to get a feel for it. Will stay off the A166 if I can. Also, planning to finish on the dreaded hill at Green Dykes Lane! I'll be wearing my trusty camelbak - I'm such a convert.   Hope the recovery from injury is going well, Muckles.   Great advice on parking, accommodation etc Skiprat - I live and York and I'm learning a lot from your posts!    Susan and Chris - Good luck for races on Sunday.   I'm looking forward to reading all about your weekend runs. Not long now!
  • I know York so well as I work out & about & run all over so been great to help where I can. :0)

well done Lily, recover well :0)

NSGNR- good luck with your run tomorrow, will be really interesting to hear your views on the route, watch that hill at the bottom of upper Helmsley, hard!. Try & stick to the middle of the road where u can, dangerous I know but the 19 I did yesterday my itb on my knee is terrible today from running on the slant, I will not be defeated & icing, bought a foam roller & taped it up, back on it tomoz. happy running.

• Thanks for the good wishes! Weather forecast looks pretty dreadful for Sunday, but I'm not bothered by wind and rain. Rather that than high temperatures!

• I'm off to the GNR, may the wind be with us, Whoooooh.

Then a week on the coast so a chance for some quality off road training.

Good luck and best wishes to anyone racing this weekend.

Keep up the good work everyone on those peskie LSR's.

• I'm another one doing the south cheshire 20 tomorrow.  Looked at the weather forecast......it's definitely going to be a 'character building' sort of day!

Enjoy the GNR skd14, good luck!

• Really impressed with all the miles being run, particularly your ultra Jonah.  Good luck to all those racing tomorrow both south cheshire 20 and GNR. I will be heading out on another 20-22 miler and hoping that the rain and wind hold off until I've done. Actually, like you Susan, I'd rather have rain than the heat we had over summer.

Am starting to feel rather daunted by everyone's description of the route, particularly the hill at the end - they said it was going to be a flat course!

Thank you to all those with ideas of where to park, eat etc. I likewise have yet to book accomadation - mainly because I'm trying to persuade someone to come with me as would like someone to celebrate or commiserate with at end!

Happy running everyone. 

• I can't do the SC 20 image   Am gutted. My car is making a disturbing metallic screechy sound whenever I turn the steering wheel right. I think it's a stone stuck behind the brake disk shield, but I can't chance a 2+ hour drive each way till it either pings out on its own or I work out what it is. Will just have to do 20 on my own tomorrow morning but it won't be the same as under race conditions.

• Oh no Susan, what a nightmare.  I feel for you. Is there nobody who lives near you doing it? Hope the car sorts itself out soon. 

• I'm in Herts, so not that I know of. Have offered my place back to the organisers because I know it was fully booked.

• Finished 21 miles this morning around the route. I quite liked it, but as Skiprat says, it's very rural too. I started around mile 3 of the course running for 4 miles up quite a straight/gently bending country road on Stockton Lane. This part was completely flat and you run through Stockon-on-the Forest, where there should be some decent support. It remains flat until around make 9, when you get an incline for about 3/4 mile. I didn't actually find the incline too bad - the first part on Northgate Lane was maybe the toughest part. This part of the route is very rural, you run through two small villages, including Sand Hutton. The next part was probably my favourite - 4 rural miles until you get to the A166, with the trees either side meeting at the top. It was a little prettier than other parts, and it was downhill for sections! I didn't take the A166 towards Stamford Bridge, but hopefully there will be some support there on the day. Some friends of mine who live in Stamford Bridge are planning to watch the run from here. The A166 towards York was also a little undulating but again I didn't find it too bad. I was perhaps distracted by the cars speeding towards me when the footpath ran out! I turned off the A166 at Holtby, which us about 19 1/2 mile on the route ( I didn't do the out and back section on the A166). Holtby is small but hopefully there will be a few people cheering us on here. The route was then flat and rural again, until mile 23 when you get to the small village of Murton. Once we get to Osbaldwick at mile 24 the crowds should really pick up. It's flat again until the dreaded Green Dyke Lane hill right near the end. It's tough but at least it doesn't last long.

Feeling quite excited now! 

• Sorry that you're not going to make your race Susan. That's rotten luck. Not much consolation, but maybe better than that happening on the weekend of the marathon? Hope the 20miles goes well tomorrow.

Good luck to Skd and Tiny on your races.

Skiprat - hope your knee is feeling better. I tried to stay near the centre, where possible! You're absolutely right about the cambers on the roads!

• NSGNR - well done with your run today, perrrfect description of the route & just how I found it. I've only ran as far as gate Helmsley up the A166 & u were brave running without footpath. Happy recovery!.

Knee is sore but ran today & was bearable, foam roller is my new best friend!. Going to keep off the route for a bit now as cambers have definitely flared up my itb. 

Susan - sorry to hear u can't make your run but hope u have a good one & happy running everyone. 

• Sorry to hear about your car troubles Susan, so frustrating.

fantastic description NSGNR, really useful. I'm going to do the country section on Wednesday, but will avoid the A166 section I think. It's nice running a race where I know the area, I remember doing Dublin last year and not knowing where the finish line was - that last mile just went on forever. 

hope your knee is on the mend skiprat, I have IT problems sometimes, am also using a roller. 

• So sorry Susan about your car troubles but hope you have a good run today.

Good luck Tiny and Skd on your races, look forward to hearing about them.

Thank you Northern runner for your info on the route, really helpful. Hope your knee better Skiprat.

I shuffled round 4 miles this morning, still tired after Fridayimage

• Good to hear lots of people doing well. Cheers for the info NSGNR.

Sadly a month ago I picked up a calf injury which still hasn't full healed. I've decided to try and go for it anyway and managed 8 miles last week and 18 today but then my legs went dead. I don't want to push it and I can't really do runs in the week, as I don't want to risk it breaking down, so it's up in the air whether I make it or not!