Yorkshire marathon 2013

Comments

• Sorry it's not a mile at the finish up at steep hill, just a little bit up at a steep hill around 26ml.
  • I'm in, i signed up yesterday i'm also glad i got my accommodation sorted, i paid £27 a night for the travelodge and today the same travelodge is £94 a night!!!! 

I'm looking forward to it, i like doing different marathons, this will be my 5th marathon of the year and I will just plod along and take it all in, i think it will be a good atmosphere and I dont mind paying a little extra for the Jane Tomlinson events as you know that they are a non for profit charity so anything left over will go straight back to the charity 

I have no idea if there are medals, I hope so, i read to start with that there was going to be a medal but  now have noticed it said a memento

anyone know? 

• yup Harrogate based ts so looking forward to it
  • NykieNykie ✭✭✭

Skiprat, that's what I was thinking. If someone's a slow runner, it's possible that you might be pretty lonely for a lot of the race. Although I think that a lot of people will have entered who do the JT 10ks and think that they can do a marathon, so there will be quite a lot of slow runners.

And I also thought that about the medal. They have a medal at the three 10k races they do, but the t-shirts aren't technical. You'd think they'd give more information.

• Are the roads closed? Or part closed? The A166 looks too busy too be closed pretty much all day but google earth shows it varies between narow footpaths and grass verges.

I fancy it but it is pretty expensive.

• If I'm really honest i think it will be lonely for all of us, for 20 ml i can imangine there being very little crowd support. There were long stretches of road and nothing to look at but I do love my big marathons and each to there own. I just feel a lot of people I know have entered it as a first marathon and don't realise it is very rural and quite a few up and downs and it's isn't flat as adveristed.

It will be a challenge mentally.
  • I don't think they will be, Maybe though the city and the outer city but there won't be any need when you get rural as there wasn't any one around, lol!

I had a good look at that stretch today as it inclines slightly for 2mls it's around 18ml to 20ml, but once you turn in to holtby you are pretty flat. It is footpath and grass verge! Very much doubt they will close the a166 so not sure where we will run once it gets onto the grass verge. Hope that helps.

I have booked it but still not sure wheather to run it.
  • NykieNykie ✭✭✭

I've not booked it yet, to be honest. I rather over-spent at Christmas and only get paid on the 25th, so I'm going to leave it until then. If all the places get booked, then I'll do Chester or Liverpool - my parents live over in St. Helens so I can combine it with a weekend trip so not much more exensive than travelling the 10 miles to York.

• well personally I hope it is quite quiet out there - I don't need crowds to keep me running - just a few others around me going at a similar, slow pace!!

The Brass Monkey HM doesn't have crowds lining the cabbage fields in January and all the better for it. With a field of 5000 there will always be runners around you even at the sharp or slow end.

Stray Runner
    well if you see a doddering ol' git with white hair doing  laps of the Stray early in the morning it will probably be meimage

• Yes, from the map most of the roads look very quiet and while I'm obviously not adverse to running in the road towards traffic, Google streetview suggests that A166 is narrow and busy. Is it just me that thinks that might not be a great idea at 20 mile?

• Each to there own torque steer I need and love the crowds to get me through. I love the BM and my 5 th one next wkend but 13ml of cabbage fields is enough for me.

Like to share my thoughts with fello runners as forums like these have helped me with my other marathons.

Happy running everyone.
  • Not sure what they will do with the a166 as its such a busy road, I'm sure they will have it all planned out and safety first.
  • I have booked it . I have Barcelona to get out the way first though..

In terms of crowds then if you are running well then it is not a problem. I think they help if you really are flagging and struggling and need the support. There will be a lot of people running the Marathon for the first time that would appreciate the crowds..

I can not see how many places are left by looking at the web site but I heard only 1.500 places left at last count. I think there are going to be 5000 places ?

I booked the travelodge too at £27, it has now gone to £117.

• They've just tweeted this morning say there is less than 200 places left for this event.

Which is a massive shame as it means I won't be able to enter as I don't get paid till the 22nd.

• I hope there is some crowd support, i ran sheffield half marathon and the crowd really helped me,  i didnt view the route before i entered, but i know whatever the outcome ill enjoy the day image

• From looking at the route it is VERY rural indeed – I just can’t see were the crowd would be able to line the streets on most of the route.

• Chris can you not borrow the money :-/. It would be such a shame if you could not run it. I bet the places will all go today.

• I've just asked my good old Mum image

It's my Birthday tomorrow so I've said it can be one of my many presents.

Do you still get presents for getting to 24?image

• WHoop

Nice one image I am 50 plus and I still get them so yesimage.Happy Birthday for Tomorrow X

• Skiprat
    enjoy the BM - I am envious of you doing it as I have run it many times in the past but I am just returning after a few months out with achilles tendonosis in both legs and it would have been too much too soon. With 281 days to go I should be ready for the YM!!
     It is always nice to come to the groups of supporters on the BM course and they do give one a bit of a lift  - I expect the YM will be rather like that in terms of support as well.

Chris Lane
    good luck with the birthday pressie image 
    I have many years on Crazy Lady and I still get lots of birthday pressies - in fact more now than previously as my g'children buy me them as well as my own childrenimage

• Hope you are soon recovered from injury TS. I am pleased someone has many years than meimage. The times I get asked when am I going to stop running ??? when I question that they say well you are not getting any younger ! so what I have been running 15 years now and love it.

I had missed you were doing the BM Skiprat , I will be running it too this time. I think the last time I did it was 13 years ago and I got a P.B. then , really loved the race.

• I do love the BM, nice and flat just how I like it, hope u get over ur injury torque steer and are fit and injury free for the ym. North lincs half marathon in April is a brill one as well, nice and flat and I would say better than BM.

Good luck crazy lady, if the conditions are ok, pb's should been the cards, it was so so so so windy last year that it was toughie.

I've just ran the last part of the ym and it's such a shame u have to run up the university hill, it's a killer, dig deep is not the word. Hope they review that bit.

I've driven it again as I'm a running anorak and like to know the route, I would say 9ml to 13ml is up and down be prepared peeps!. Not mega hills but Ickel inclines. When u hit Boswell its down! Whoop!

As for crowd support it is mega rural for most of it but like the brass monkey the odd person, marshals, photographers and fello runners will get us through. Happy running.
  • most of my running is in edinburgh at the mo ts or evenings as i am not a morning person - that said you will find me at the parkrun most saturdays. do you do the parkrun?

• Crazy Lady
    I am back running now thanks though mileage is low at the moment as I build back up. Enjoy the BM and I hope it doesn't live up to its name!!
    I may be the oldest bloke in the race!!

Skiprat
    thanks for the course info. Most of my long runs are done on the hills to the west of Harrogate so they won't come as too much of a shock  

Stray Runner
    I have done a few Parkruns - last one was back in July just before I wrecked my achilles on the Harrogate 10K running the hills on that course too hard on too little training after another injury. As my Australian physio said as I reappeared on her treatment table - "Nar mate, back home we'd shoot yu!!"
    I think I'll wait until the swamps disappear from the Stray before I do another Parkrun!!

• was announced on calendar news, its now sold out, 5500 places sold in 3 days, talks are being held to up it to 6000, Theyll be plenty taking part then! ha, which is good for us first timers... image)))

• It's amazing how an event that has never taken place before has sold out in two days!

Having been on the organising and receiving end of new events, all I'll say is that there are always wrinkles to iron out.

• North Lincs half marathon 28th April http://www.northlincshalf.co.uk/ would highly recommend as a half marathon to get you all going. Voted 5th Best halF marathon in 2012 :0)
  • I am in,and glad I booked early. Looking forward to the race, especially with nine months to train