Options

Yorkshire marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

No race pack for me either Susan, I think they are gradually being sent out which is a bit confusing! I am "resting" today too. Really important days to hopefully refresh the legs! Sorry to hear about your son's op, hope it goes ok.

Anyone else entered the VLM ballot? This is my 3rd attempt and expect that "sorry" magazine through my letterbox in the next few weeks! If I don't get in I would like to do another spring marathon. I have run Manchester and the Marathon of the North but wondered if anyone could suggest any others? The more northern the better as I live near York. Thanks.

I watched the GNR on TV and it looked so crowded and unappealing, yet people say it is fantastic. May enter the ballot for that too! Often people presume that it is one of the above races that I am running as they have not heard of any others!

• Options

4 weeks on Friday eek! Definitely feeling excited but also feel I need to get some longer runs under my belt for confidence as I had to cut short some previous ones due to foot pain (new shoes have solved the problem! ) 

I've entered the VLM ballot just would love to do it once. You should go for the GNR ballot Lily I did it for the first time this year, got super organised and thoroughly enjoyed it and ran a PB too despite the amount of people! wonderful crowds and the Red Arrows were nearly worth the entry fee alone. 

There is talk of a Hull marathon next year by the way so watch this space! Someone is working to organise it at present. 

• Options

Lily I got lucky with the vlm ballot 2013, couldn't believe it after I think about 4 attempts! I loved it, it's a totally different experience, and although it was noisy and busy I loved every minute. I was astonished by the crowd support; I don't think 10 seconds went by without hearing my name. I managed to see my husband twice, and a big group of friends once. At about 24 miles there was a huge banner that said "Run if you can, walk if you must, but finish for Boston." I nearly dissolved on the spot! I've entered the ballot again but I think it's highly unlikely I'll get in again. Last year I found out I was in before the magazine came; you could go to the official website and try to pay for your place, and if they accepted the payment you knew you'd got in image

I will also be on the lookout for a spring marathon if I don't get in; I've done Brighton but would prefer to try a new one.

• Options

I'm a feeling a little bit low and confidence a tad damged this week.

I set off to do my 16 mile LSR on Sunday and after about 4 miles i felt my right calf tighten in the same way my left did before in tore in April. I stopped and walked/jogged back home before I did any major damage.

It can still feel it slightly now when I walk. I'm annoyed as iw as starting to rack up some decent milage and well on track to complete my training schedule.

I'm scared to have a run out in case I cause furthe damge but I also know I have to put the miles in to ensure I prepare for the race properly. Grrrr!!!!!!

Yours,

frustrated from York,

• Options

sorry to hear that Liam. I know how you must be feeling. Have you considered visiting a physio or sports masseur? I used to go to a very good chiropractor on Fulford Road who also deals worth muscular sports injuries. 

Lily, Hellsbells, I think I'm going to go for the Great North Run too, really enjoyed watching it on TV.

• Options

I've entered VLM ballot too for third time having not got in last 2. I ran in for charity previously and as Susan says, the crowd support is utterly amazing - it blew me away. I'd love to do it again, but since I'm doing York for charity will not do london unless I get a ballot place. Have also been looking at alternatives. Was considering manchester, or a small one in Suffolk that's a few weeks later.

sorry to hear about your injury Liam - I agree with bornagain in that it'd be worth seeing a physio +/- a sports masseur. And do loads of stretching, icing etc. Hope it settles

not got my race pack yet either

• Options

Thanks Hellbells, Susan and Tishtosh for your thoughtsimage I originally planned to run one marathon in my lifetime, then one a year for 5 years but this year because of York it will be 2! Hard to explain to people the marathon running bug!

Sorry to hear about all that Liam. You did the best thing that was to stop running and I am sure a few days off your schedule will be fine. Ditto the above advice to have the problem checked out by someone. Really hope things improve soonimage

• Options

Hi there everyone,

Good to hear there is some good running goin on & lots of long runs happening and sorry to hear that a few peeps have little injureys, defo rest, ice, sports massage, kt tape & foam roller (loving mine).

I ran 21ml today, wasn't as easy! As my other runs but It was wet, cold and a little windy but I did it & a pretty good pace, for me!. My knee was pretty sore & itb but ran  through it, hardcore ;0).

Bornagain - glad to hear u liked the route & that is a little bugger of a hill around 12ml. Just steep. 

Lily - I have a place for London 2014. I deferred my entry from last year. Very excited, will be My 2nd vlm & its my fav marathon, lived every minute. Just hope york doesn't injure me to much. 

Susan - i can totally symphathise  with ur tricky few weeks coming up, my husband works away oversees for long periods and I have son at home so all! My runs r meticulously planned but makes me determined and proud that I'm getting out there.

happy running eveyone. 

• Options

Same thing has happened to me Liam. Hopefully we'll both make it to the start line!

• Options

Sympathies with the injured.........I think I'm coming down with a cold, aaaargh....

• Options

Training really peaking for me this week. Run an 8 mile recce on Tuesday for my clubs Harewood race in October. Mostly through the woods in the dark. Super fun, if not a little silly so close to the race. Then a steady 7, that turned into a quite fun and fast 9 miles last night mostly on the Meanwood Valley trail, again mostly in the dark (a theme developing here, kamikaze running). Legs are feeling great, and cheers to all the people who shouted out the High5 gels. Tried my first one ever at 5 miles last night as a little tester ahead of Sunday, and miles 8 and 9 felt like I had springs in my shoes, and an afterburner on my back. I can’t wait until Sunday to see how they perform over a longer distance, but the main thing is my stomach felt good on the run, except for one unexpected side effect post run. *parp, parp*

Parkrun + 3 extra miles on Saturday, then 18 -20 miles on Sunday. That should total around 40 miles this week which will be the most ive done in a week so far this year. Repeat again next week, and then the tapering begins. It’s getting real close now!!

Hellsbells: I ran the 1st Hull marathon last year. It was a great course and was mainly flat, however the logistics were a nightmare. No mile markers except at 13, marshals sent us the wrong way through the park so the race was short and lost its licence, it had the worst out and back along the seafront I’ve even run in my life; It was soul destroying. Finally as their were no mile markers when you came back into town I sprinted for the ‘finish’ only to find we had to do a loop of the city centre for another mile. I was completely done. If they can tweak those things, it will be a cracking race.

I’m on my 5th VLM ballot this year, so surely my luck has to change. Fingers crossed.

Liam : I know it will be hard to do because you want to train, but maybe stay off the roads until say October 1st, then try and run to see how you feel. Those sort of injuries can progress quite rapidly if you don’t rest up completely.

• Options

hope you are feeling ok Susan, good to hear your news Liam.

Not happy...had the scariest dog incident ever on my run today and there have been a few.......from nowhere a dog appeared and plunged its teeth into my calf, terrified I yelled for help, the owner appeared, apologetic but too late, then few metres up the lane chased by another dog barking at me, carried on but when I got home my mum who is visiting suggested I call the doctor, he said dog bites must be treated with antibiotics for a week, so I am £7.80 out of pocket and very shaken. Needless to say that is a lane I won't be going up again! Determined to not let this affect my future runs. Normally I walk if a dog appears but this one gave me no warning. Any how to deal with dog tips would be appreciated, thank you!

• Options

Good afternoon everyone.  

Good grief Lily, only been chased by a dog once and I ended up stopping and kicking it in the face, much to the annoyance of the owner who appeared just as I was kicking her dog but not soon enough to see it jumping at me.  Hope the injury heals ok.

Sympathies for all those with injuries, I pulled out of the Manchester marathon last spring because  of a lump on my foot that hurt too much to run with so I know how having to wait feels.  Hopefully there's enough time to get over them and still enjoy the day (if you can enjoy a marathon!). Was going to have  a lazy night after a bad day at work but when I got in my pack was waiting for me so feel a bit more invigorated. 

Liam : always better to be cautious, take it steady with possibly a visit to a physio who may be able to speed things up a little with a few stretches/exercises,  better to be undertrained and running than over trained and watching.  There was a time when I wouldn't dream of paying for a physio but after trying it out when I missed Manchester I have changed my mind.

I don't know York very well and was thinking about using one of the car parks near to the castle.  Does anybody know if this is a good idea or should I cough up and go with the park and ride ( have a wife and 2 kids supporting me on the day)? 

Happy running/rehabilitating.

• Options

I've enjoyed catching up with all your news!

Is it just me or does anyone else feel the need to constantly stuff their face? I just can't stop eating biscuits. I can't quite make it past the cupboard with scoffing half a packet... Not good!

Lily - the incident with the dog sounds horrendous! The majority of dog owners are responsible but unfortunately some just aren't. I'm not great with dogs - perhaps I should run with you Yorkshire Plodder because I doubt any dogs will mess with you again!? Hope you're not too shook up Lily.

Cosmic Gaz and Born Again - I also run on the York to Selby cycle path, usually just as far as Naburn. Maybe our paths will cross! I'll also have to try Skipworth Common, as it sounds lovely.

Liam - hope the injury heals soon. Take it easy if you can.

Sean - sounds like the training is going great. Thanks for the info about Hull. I thought about entering last year. Glad I didn't now!

Susan - good luck with the tricky week. I hope you find some time run. If not, maybe a rest will freshen and rejuvenate the training!

Skiprat - 21 miles is fab! Well done!

Hellbells - great that the foot is better.

• Options

Yorkshire plodder - there is a car park by Clifford's Tower and a multi storey on Piccadily that you could park in if you wanted to park in city centre. It might be quite busy so I would get there early. It's about a 1 mile walk to the start.

• Options

Race pack just plopped through the letter box! Not sure how I feel - excited, nervous, just want to get on with it I think! 

NSGNR, it's a bit early for carb loading! 

Hope you're ok Lily, must have been terrifying.

I'm enjoying reading everyones run reports - nice bit of humour kicking in! 

• Options

I've got my race pack today too and am likewise excited and nervous in equal measures. Did my long run today as am out tonight and was running through the woods thinking that maybe I should have stuck to the roads at this point rather than risk tripping over a tree root!

Lily your incident with the dog sounds awful. I hope your leg is ok. Sadly I'm not sure there is anything you can do if a dog appears from nowhere and sinks its teeth into you before youve realised its there. I have a dog but still think that Yorkshire Plodder's course of action is appropriate if a dog decides to chase/bite you!

Hope everyone's injuries/ aches etc settle quickly and the long runs go well this weekend - at least the weather is a vast improvement from the cold, wind and rain of last weekend.

• Options

Race pack has arrived. Just read through it and a bit worried about the parking issues. Looks like the Park & Rides are opening early but the buses are by pre-ordered ticket only, with runner getting priority. I'm travelling over with my partner and our two girls (aged 5 & 2) and i'm not sure that I want to leave them to make their own way to the start/finish.

Does anyone know if the 'normal' Park & Ride buses are running that early? Where else is there to park, that is fairly close to the start. Cliffords Tower is an option but I suspect it will be expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Gazza

• Options

thank you for all your kind words, feel better today and about to go out for a walk with my sister, so will not be beaten!

Just opened my race pack......5231, zone 5, very nervous and excited!

• Options

Zone 5 for me too Lily, 5157. 

Looks like we're all going to have a fair walk wherever we park or get dropped off. Alright before, but afterwards? Not sure I'll be up for hobbling a mile to the drop off points! 

• Options

zone 2, 2352 for me. Getting more excited having read the magazine etc but also slightly fretting about parking issues.

Bornagain, after London I had a good mile or two walk to my collection point and actually it was good to keep the legs moving. I'd advise putting a different pair of shoes in your drop off bag though - I didn't and really wanted my crocs which I find really comfortable despite their look!

• Options

Hello everyone. Nice to see so many quality long runs! Not here sadly, am well in the grip of a nasty cold so no running since Wednesday. But as long as I feel better by later next week and can squeeze in one more long run I'll be ok. I have a husband unexpectedly here for the next 10 days which should help, he was meant to be in Hong Kong but super typhoon Usagi has cancelled all flights.

Dog incidents, Urgh. I'm quite scared of yappy little dogs having been bitten out running by a terrier. Big dogs don't scare me, I have a very big greyhound who is incredibly lazy and good natured. 

Race pack arrived today! I'm 5255 (I think?) So firmly in the last starting wave!

Oh and NSGNR.......Am a horror for biscuits. I'm an all or nothing person, I find it very hard to have just one, or two....or three..

• Options

Oh and Sean your gel side effect made me laugh (sorry!)....maybe you can jet propel yourself round the courseimage

• Options

Race pack arrived, not sure on the logistics for the day, parking etc.

Lily - hope the dog incident doesn't affect your plans, I agree on the marathon bug, I was just one marathon, then never again, I've done 6 and starting to think 2 flatish road marathons per year are wimpish.

Hells - agree on the Hull marathon I would be a starter. I'm in for my 3rd VLM ballot disappointment shortly.

GNR 2013 - mad, wet and unmissable, I will be back managed 1.49 this year. The only down side are the runners who don't acknowledge the support, the kids high 5's, the bands. the spectators are great for the whole route, my family wouldn't stand on a street corner, cheering and clapping strangers. I particularly liked the music on the roundabout blazing out Blaydon Races and the Red Arrows class.

Some good training, Whitley Bay parkrun and LSR Sunday 42 miles for the week.

It's getting close now, all the best everyone

• Options

Quick question.... Doing my longest run on Tues 22 miles. I wondered what pace to aim for? I have been trying to do my lsrs at my mp + min then last couple of miles mp or a little quicker. Any advice appreciated thanksimage

• Options

Zone 2, Race No 1776.

LSR done today, not the elegant glide along the byways that was in my head. In reality I felt tired, first 6 miles OK but steady, energy dip until 10 miles, then I bucked up pace better until 16 miles, last 4 quite testing. A glorious morning for running and it's another one in the bag. I do realise that this marathon training is not a steady straight line graph of ever improving efforts.

I do all my 20 LSR's at MP plus one, I couldn't do them at MP on tired legs, I do put some MP miles in the mix, I want it to feel that I could run further when needed. Avoid injury and get to the big day feeling in good form.

• Options

Thanks NSGNR, I'll need to have a chat with my 'support group' to see what they will put up with on the day.  The park and ride looks to be the safest option but is the priciest and I'm not sure the wife and kids (9 & 10) would appreciate possibly being left behind.  Parking is going to be one of those things that I will worry about as I like everything to be organised and straightforward while I concentrate on the run (I can become a bit of a diva before a race). 

On the running front I pushed an 11 miler on Friday and my achilles are a little sore so I'm going to wander around the house until this evening to ease them before I think about todays 17 miler.  I'm doing the Isle of Axeholme HM next Sunday so don't want to go into that with too many niggles.

Lily : I tend to do my LSR between 40 secs and 1 minute slower than marathon pace depending upon how I feel. 

Ticking off the runs now as the day is firmly in sight.  Happy running everyone. 

• Options

Lily I would divide your 22 into segments and apply a different pace for each, so for example

2 miles warm up very slow pace

12 miles MP + 60 seconds

6 miles MP

2 miles cool down very slow pace.

That gives you miles 14-20 at marathon pace which I think is quite challenging but achievable if you keep the previous segment very relaxed. 

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭