Yorkshire marathon 2013

Comments

• I'm hungry now image There's no choccie in that list tho image

• Lily - well done on VLM 2014 entry.

Quiet running week 20mile plus LSR Sunday, Pontefract parkrun tomorrow, 36 miles for the week.

I'm no expert and havn't really kept to a plan, I will have done 4 20 mile LSR'sTaper is 3 weeks, something like 75%, 50%, 25% of highest mileage, less miles but still some intensity, longest runs 12 miles, then 8-10 miles. It gets to a point you just want the day to come, the running is not going to improve your marathon. It's just about getting to the line, ready, fit to give a good account of yourself.

Keep running 

• Evening everyone.

VLM reject here aswell. Not overly bothered as i'd already decided that I wasn't going to do it anyway.

Last long run this weekend - 22 miles planned in on a hilly route through Esholt, Hawksworth, Rawdon and Apperley Bridge. Purposely making this a hard run so everything else will seem easier. Done 9 miles on tues, wed and thurs so far, 4 miles tomorrow morning.

Thankfully 'taper time' then for the next three weeks so fitness should come back. Also no more booze until after the race (only drank on a sunday night anyway).

How's everybody feeling? Good I hope.

Keep on running.

Gazza 

• Oh Lily, have just seen your vlm news, congratulations. You'll have such a lovely day, the atmosphere is very special.

Feeling brighter today, tried my new Camelbak on a 5 mile run and I really liked it though I felt a bit "all the gear no idea" in it. Not sure the mean suburban streets of St Albans were quite the place for it but still, am pleased with it. It does make quite a noise though!

• Many thanks NSGNR, Lily, Skiprat for your advice. I think I'll aim for 22 this weekend and see how it goes, then perhaps 15-18 next Sunday.

Congrats Lily on your VLM place - superb news.

More sunny weather for the next few days - good luck with the weekend runs all!

• Susan, have you tried to put water in bladder, turn upside down and suck all the air out.It works for me to stop all the sloshing about.

• Well done Lily on VLM place - you will have an amazing time.

Hope everyone's long runs go well this weekend - doing mine tomorrow. Can't believe it's the last one and the time is almost upon us. Happy running image

• Lily - that's fab that you got a VLM place. It's a wonderful experience.

Susan - Matt is spot on. That's the same advice that Jonah gave me and it's worked a treat!

Managed my 22 miles this morning round the route. Not too much pain at all! The undulating bits seemed easier than last week, so my theory is still holding true!! Taper here we come!!

• Injured unable to do york marathon,got my number will anybody be able too use or transfer name 

• Thanks, I'll try that with the Camelbak tomorrow! 

Last long slow run tomorrow, feeling tired after a busy week culminating in an early start this morning for my youngest, who was having his tonsils out. Still the damn things are gone now.

Happy running everyone.

• Thanks for all your positive comments everyoneimage

I have not run for a couple of days with the idea of a more speedier session tomorrow! Just off to give massages at a local 10k this morning and try to reassure nervous runners....

Hope your son recovers well Susan, my daughter had the dreaded T loads but never quite enough to have them out, hopefully growing out of it now.

This afternoon my I am off to check out possible parking places and walk to start etc in York. Might even drive a little of the route. Getting nervous now.....

Hope LSRs go well today, I think the longest ones are the hardest mentally, remember on the day there will be lots of support hopefully!image

• Well having done two small runs during the week (5 miles) I was determined to do the 20 today. The group I run with was doing 13, so I woke up ridiculously early for a Sunday and did a quick 7 miles before meeting up with them.

Though I did have to wait a good 10 minutes or so for the group to get going, I did the full 20 miles without slowing down and I now feel much more confident - though it was still tough! I never got to 22 on any of my runs but hopefully I can still push through the pain for the last 6 on the day...

I hope everyone had a good long run!

• Susan - all the best to your youngest, do they still do the jelly and ice cream cure.

Lily - I'd be interested in any parking tips, good on you helping with the local 10k

Sorry to hear of injuries, David there is a next time, recover well

Parkrun yesterday and I did 21 mile LSR 10min miles today so on target, never easy, uncannily similar to last week on performance and time, glad it's done. Glorious weekend for running though. I'm starting to feel a bit anxious, let the madness start, will be imaging niggles and trying to avoid any injuries. Happy tapering is it really only 3 weeks to go.

• 22 miles done.  Found it really tough going.  Legs were already tired from yesterday's cross country race so it was always going to be hard.  But I kept on chugging nice and slowly and got 22 in the bag.  Bring on the taper!!

• Hi everyone.  Congrats Lily.  I've also got into London for the first time so looking forward to that one.

Sorry to hear about your injury Dave.  If there no chance of a recovery by the 20th you will still have a lot of the gains from the training done for another race.

I've had a camel back in my cupboard for over a year but never used it other than a practice around the house. I really should get that sorted. 

Postponed my last long run with a half marathon at Epworth which was OK but the wind and heavy legs made it hard work so  down on my PB.  Think I'll do my last LSR next Sunday even though my taper officially starts tomorrow.

Nearly there.

• 22 miles in the bag for me too! What a beautiful weekend for running - I went out into some of the villages on the marathon course; really nice route.

I'm delighted to have managed my longest run of the training, and didn't feel totally drained - a nice contrast from last weekendimage. Just need to keep it together now in the final few weeks.

21 days to go!

• Well done on all the long runs. May have to look at camel baks or similar next time as really hate carrying bottles.

19 miles for me today, middle 15 at marathon pace. Felt exhausted and really struggled to keep going thorugh it  - so much so that I didn't  - had a few brief stops which was a bit depressing but at least it's over and just the taper to look forward to, oh and eating lots of carbs! 

• Everyone going great guns. Great week running for me, 10K pb on my lunch Wednesday, 5k Parkrun PB yesterday (1st ever sub 21 time too) , and then ran a reletively stable 21mile today. 12 miles at marathon pace and the rest at 9:30 miles. 40 in today for the week, and like all of you guys, yaaayyyyyy, taper time.

Lilly: congrats on the VLM. Got my 5th rejection slip on the bounce, but looks likely Ive secured a club place.

tishtosh. My run last week was like that. Gave up at 12, the main thing is you completed it.

Dave: Gutted for you mate. No transfers im afraid, but it just means if you shift your number they will have to run as 'dave' , unless they're called Dave that is.

• Well done everyone, we are on the home stretch now. Very impressed with those of you that went over 20.

Last long slow run today, 20 miles. Was ok but I was tired, I only ate snacks at the hospital yesterday then soup last night, had a rough night with The Patient who was in my bed all night. And it was hot! But it's done. Tishtosh sounds like you've had a heavy week too, I was thinking today as I plodded round this takes me to 45 miles this week, at least after a bit of tapering I'll feel a bit fresher I hope.

Skd14 yes plenty of jelly and ice cream, though they now recommend lots of scratchy food, toast and crisps! Lily, two of mine have now had their tonsils out due to obstructive rep apnoea (in fact my oldest is the only one in the family that still has his!) - round here though they now refuse to take them out for repeated tonsillitis, which is pretty rough. I still remember the agony of those sore throats!

Dave any chance of booking a B race? Shame to feel all that training would be wasted. 

• Good to see how people are doing. A right mixture of reports from people from bad injury to really ambitious targets. After my groin injury I seem to have got the recovery nailed as I did 20 miles today in 3:06. My best long run yet. Whatever I do on 20th will be a pb for me and I have ~£700 on my mydonate page so I'll be happy image

• 18.5 miles in 2:47 for me yesterday. I'm very happy with that. No ill effects other than a couple of stiff thighs! It was a lovely morning to be running in and around York.

I ran up Green Dykes Lane but after only 3 miles. It'll be tough after 20 but more than worth it!

I'm in a pickle as to do one more LSR of 20 next weekend or not. Hitting the 20 mark would be a real confidence boost but I don't want to push it either. I'll see what the body says later in the week.

• What does your plan say Liam?  I'd stick to whatver the plan says if I were you.  I believe the majority of us have done our last long runs now, but of course you need to do whatever feels right for you.  Just don't go and injure yourself now.....we're so close!

• How many 20 milers have you done Liam? It feels quite close to be doing another REALLY long one but see what you feel like later in the week? 

Sorry to hear about the injuries, gutting when you've got so far. 

I'm planning on doing 16m flat along the canal next weekend (boring) but will aim for race pace for it. I did the same before Halstead marathon and it was a good confidence boost.

Managed 22m yesterday on a hilly route mainly off-road up to Eccup and the Harewood estate, a glorious day in beautiful countryside and an all round lovely, good-to-be-alive run. Although pace was way off race pace (10m/m) due to hills and terrain I am taking confidence from the fact I felt strong all the way.

Great to see the last long runs being ticked off our training plans - the count down properly starts now. Getting excited!!

• What’s everyone’s consensus about this weekends run? I haven’t been following any plan really, but I’ve seen some people mentioning their taper run this weekend anywhere between 12 – 16 miles? Thoughts. I was thinking of entering a half marathon for some race day experience, or if I cant find one, 13 miles at race pace.

• Hi everyone. Sounds like lots of us are worrying about final long runs and what to do during the taper. I'm aiming for 22 tomorrow, then just short tick over runs, nothing more than 6 or 7 miles. Need to keep the niggles at bay. I certainly wouldn't fancy doing a half marathon just 2 weeks before the big day, Sean, but some folk have a better fitness level than me and wouldn't have a problem. It's all about knowing your own capabilities. Your off-road run at Eccup sounded lovely swoody. I had hoped to go off-road in the Wolds, but aches and pains dictated flat and easy! 

Congrats/commiserations to all re VLM. Relieved to hear a lot of injury niggles are getting better. Take care these next few weeks everyone, stay fit! Roll on the big day! 

• Hi there everyone.

i am injured & not a happy bunny, went out sat night (I say no more!) went over on my ankle. :0(. Slight sprain, no running till around thur, rice ing, had ultra sound & laser today & back for more tomorrow. Really Gutted as training has been so good up till now.....

I done all the hard work & will probably do a 16ml on mon instead of an 18ml If I'm ok.

sean - I was meant to be doing mablethorpe half marathon on Sunday, fast & flat nr lincs. U can have my race number. if u fancied it. 

• Sean, I think my long run is 14 this weekend and 8 next. 

Fingers crossed for you Skiprat, is gutting this close to the big day.

• Really sorry to hear about your injury skiprat - really hope you manage to get over it quickly and can still do the race. Sounds like you are doing all the right things

• Well done with the long runs everyone... Skiprat, I'm gutted for you. Hopefully the rice-ing will do the trick. Fingers crossed... Susan - I hope your son is recovering. You did well to get your long run in with all of that going on. Sean, my plan was to do 16 this week then 12 next for last long runs. However, there is a 10k in Boston Spa this weekend so I may do that instead. Liam, I think it's a tricky to strike a balance between doing a long run that is long enough to give you confidence on the day and giving yourself enough time to recover before the 20th. I think I would err on the side of recovery. And as Tiny says I wouldn't deviate too much from what your training plan says at this stage. Glad you're back in the swing of things Muckles - brilliant charity total too! Good luck for the 22 tomorrow Born again.

Less than 3 weeks to go!