Options

Yorkshire marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Good to hear about all the great runs going on. Sorry to hear about your injury Skiprat, sounds like you are doing all the right things, let us know how things are for you.

From my little marathon experience of 2 we might all experience taper madness over next three weeks when we worry about niggles, old and new injuries etc advice I have gleaned is to eat well (keep up vit C), keep running ticking over, plan practical things for the day and plan activities for the week before in the gaps when you would have been running eg coffee with friend, gentle walk etc. Also maybe think about week after. I normally experience high and then a dip. Have booked a massage and shortly will book chiropody to treat my poor feet.

My hubby and I drove to York on Sunday. We first went to Morrisons but parking is restricted to 2hrs. We then found potential places on James St with about a 20min walk to the university. We are not using P and R as he needs to be able to come and go and come back again! We drove to the finish, wow what a hill! I wonder is the finish at the top or down and past the mini roundabout? It was such a lovely sunny day, hope we may have similar on the 20thimage

Well done for VLM Y Plodder

• Options

Thank you for your kind messages, my ankle feels a little better today & really want to try a run but I will go with the experts advice & wait till my treatment is finished, back on the frozen peas again today image.

lily - you will probably be able to get a little closer than James street, if you take a left at the top of James Street heading towards the start there are lots of terraced streets on the left, Granville terrace, nicholas street, Im sure they don't have parking permits and can check it you like?. they can be a squash & a squeeze as pretty busy round there.

Lily I think the finish is past the roundabout near the walkway bridge.

happy running everyone, I am very jealous image

• Options

Good to hear it dosent sound to serious skiprat, keep it rested this week and you'll be reet. Thanks for the offer for the 1/2 marathon but its over 100 miles from me so may pass, but thanks anyway. Ive decided to do  7 and 7 miles during the week, footie Thursday (my last game before the race) and a really fast 10k in Bramham park on Sunday. get the stamina levels to the max.

Then I think the 2 weeks after, mostly core exercise and swimming with little 3-4 mile runs.

• Options

Hi all, thanks for the advice.

My training schedule is telling me a slow 10 miles or a 10k race this weekend then no more than 6 miles after that. I've not done any LSR beyond 18.5 miles in my training but I know I'd rather be niggle free and happy with how much I've achieved so far. I know I can go the 26.2.

I'm going to have a drive of the rural part of the route this weekend. Take the missus and mini-me for a spin so there's no suprises on the day.

It's all getting rather real now isn't it?! image

• Options

Got my fingers crossed for you skiprat

Liam - sounds good. Try not to panic, you've done the hard work, and as you say, you know you've got this.

Lily - thanks, that's some really good advice.  I'm already panicking about next week when my usual 5 sessions drop down to 4.  I'll arrange to do something nice with a friend image.  Also great advice about after the big day too.  Might try to book a spa day or something as a nice treat.

Did a sprightly 6.5 miles last night - legs felt surprisingly good despite the previous day's 22 miles.  Going to enjoy a rest day though today and an early night.

• Options

I had originally planned 16m with some (if not all) at race pace on the weekend but will see how I feel after this week's exertions. Then will do 8 or 9 the weekend after. 

Fingers crossed for you skiprat, there's still plenty of time left to recover and you will be rested for the big day! 

Liam I keep reading that it's better to reach the start under-trained and niggle-free than over-trained and knackered.

Also this is a good article (will be familiar to Susan!)  http://runneracademy.com/5-pre-marathon-mistakes-to-avoid

Congratulations on London places. I got another rejection, fourth in total I think. 

• Options

thanks for that link swoody - very sensible advice. Well, I did it. 22 miles, very windy and exposed in places, but kept a nice (?) slow pace most of the way. One or two body parts tried to complain, but they got ignored! Am happy wiith my nutrition intake of isogels and power bar shots. Also tried a High 5 energy bar today, very tasty, and managed to nibble on it for quite a distance. I am very tempted to take an electrolyte tablet with me and pop it in one of their water bottles at the half way stage.  Don't really think I need to carry my own bottle round with me.  Tiny I don't know how you managed 6 milles the day after 22! Enjoy the route recce Liam, and don't overdo the mileage. Like swoody's article says - it's no good cramming! Sounds like you're on the mend skiprat. Sure you'll be fine by the day. Hope you have a good run at Boston Spa NSGNR - 10 k will seem so short after recent mileage!

• Options

Well done Bornagain! Great confidence boost. I am just off to buy a few more high 5 energy bars, I agree they are so tasty, danger for me is to eat it all in one go because they are so nice. Makes a welcome alternative to gels. Will prob carry 1-2 on the day. Glad you are feeling better Skiprat and thanks for parking advice. Is the top of James St Hull Rd? My concern is parts of it may be closed on the day? Worry, worry. When we have parked and I have managed to find a loo I will get to the start line and relax!

Liam def sounds like a good plan.

Tiny, a spa day sounds perfectimage

• Options

Thank you again for all your kind messages everyone. I so want to try a little run strapped up but my gut is telling me to wait. 

Well done Bornagain with your long run image

Lily - you are right, the top of James street is lawerence st and then hull road and you (& me hopefully) will run down there so I think lawrence street will be closed early. Half way down James street just past morrisons on the left is a road called hazel court if u went down there on the right is the council tip just after that there is about parking for 15 cars, probably a good spot, no yellow lines. Council workers park there mid week as the council depot is at the end.

Sean - enjoy ur 10k on Sunday, 100ml is rather along way to travel for a half marathon. 

• Options

Evening Everybody

Put me in the 'managed 22miles at the weekend' group. Really pleased as felt great, felt like I could have run another 4.2 to make the marathon. Hilly route round Esholt, Hawkworth, Guiesley, Rawdon and Apperley Bridge, finishing with approx. 3 mile climb home.

Taper time.....woohoo. Distances to run midweek are about hour, rather than over an hour and a half.

I saw earlier comments about taper. My LSRs for the next two weeks, following the RW plan are 18m this weekend and 13 next weekend.

Hope everybody is well and feeling good.

Gazza

• Options

Any help/ideas with parking on the day would be brilliant.

• Options

Thanks Lily and Skiprat for the parking ideas, all the best

Quiet and steady running week, runs between 5-10 miles including parkrun, 30 miles max for the week.

Just can't wait, not sure of this talk about hills at the finish, after 26 miles a hill won't be a problem when the finish is in sight.

Keep healthy everyone

• Options

Morning all, just registered for the sale for next year yet I am sure I will not run another Autumn marathon but on the other hand I might enjoy it that much.....my plan at mo is to volunteer to be a marshall next year. You should have e mail asking you to register.

13 miles planned for me this morning, hope sun shinesimage

• Options

Agree with you about that hill skd. I'm looking forward to it, because it marks the end - no more suffering!

oh dear lily - it's pouring down here, hope you got back before it started. I don't think I've run in rain this year, yet ...

• Options

I'm so sad to post this, but if anyone would like to take my Plusnet Yorkshire Marathon race number off me for the bargain price of £30 (including special next day delivery to an address of your choosing), then I'm offering it up for sale.

As names are printed on the front of the race numbers, my preference would be to sell to a lady.

Inbox me if you are interested. Thank you, and good luck to all taking part.

• Options

thanks Bornagain, started pouring down at 3 miles, probably my wettest run since Manchester 2012, pleased my planned race day clothes kept me comfortable but otherwise not nice run, had to phone local police when I got home as nearly slipped on 2 big oil spills in the road and was concerned for cars and cyclists. Started off well but slowed right down. Was my 3rd day in a row running so legs tired.....

• Options

I like your way of thinking about that hill bornagain and skd - I shall thus try to look forward to it as it'll be the end!

Sorry you had a wet and unpleasant run Lily. Hope it's not pouring on 20th.

Having not had a great run on sunday, had a really good speed session on the track tonight which has been great for restoring confidence!

• Options

Lily - That must have been wet - did you have to remind me of that day in Manchester in 2012

• Options

Hi BP, how are you? How is the training going? Hope all well. Manchester 2012 was something wasn't it! The huge puddles at Dunham Massey, the worms in the mud at the finish and just being wet from the moment I got out of the car. Also my family said it was like having a hose firing at them all day! I wonder if 2013 was better?

Glad you had a good run on the track Tishtoshimage

Thanks everyone will try to look at the hill more positively....I am just wondering if my legs will work at that stage!

• Options

Lily - Yes fine thanks - hopefully the training has gone well but the day will see. Yet another rejection from London (5 in a row) so now decided that I am going to move up to Ultra's from next year and will use smaller local marathons as training runs. manchester 2013 was total opposite. If some one had said before race what conditions do you want you would have chosen what we got - started with 7oC finished with 16oC no sun just a thin cloud and no rain or wind - absolutely perfect marathon conditions. It showed as everyone I spoke to after race had done a big PB (me included a 5 min PB). Looking forward to 20th alot and don't worry too much about the hill at end it will be fine it is only short and the finish is in sight anyway.

• Options

Sean - Bramham park 10k is what I'm thinking of doing on Sunday too. Apparently you can enter on the day. I'll look out for you!

I ran 16miles this morning before work because of the 10k at the weekend. I even managed the last half at a little quicker than marathon pace, so I was well pleased. In fact, it felt really ok - especially when I compared it to how I felt on the 22miles last week! I think I'll try and get used to my marathon pace over the next couple of weeks. I've also started running without music so I can get used to that too!

Great take on the hill at the end skd and born again. I read a really useful technique for hills in the chi running book a few years ago. It's hard to explain - but when you are running up a hill if you stand slightly sideways on then the hill become much easier to traverse. It tends to work for me but I"ll dig out a proper description if anyone wants to know more.

• Options

NSGNR. hopefully see you there. Ill be in a valley striders vest and red carnation. lol. Ill look out for a homer simpson looking slightly round yellow person.

Hills: This technique has always worked for me. Find something that is running parralel to you on the hill, i.e. a wall, fence, hedge, etc. Fix your eyes to the top of it , and follow it along as you run. Hey presto, it then feels like you're running on a flat. Try it, I promise it works.

• Options

Or run backwards so you think you are running downhill?

NSGNR, how on earth am I going to run sideways after 26 miles? I'm not a crab, or maybe a haggis! Sean, your suggestion is good, gonna try and remember that. I've also read about when you're struggling, fix on an object ahead of you such as a lamppost and concentrate on getting to that point, then move to the next object. Before you know it, you are passing them without thinking about it, and are back on track again. 

Perhaps us locals should apologise to those of you who are coming from afar. I think we've maybe painted a scary picture of this 'hill'. 

I ran the Melbourne half marathon in Oz two years ago, and will never forget the sight of a guy who had done the full marathon. He was just 25 yards from the finish, which was up a similar hill to ours, and his legs just wouldn't hold him. He kept falling to the ground and just couldn't stand up. My heart went out to him. I hope that doesn't happen to me. Mind you, I'll probably crawl up it on all fours faster than I can run it! 

Keep smiling! 

• Options

Hahaha... You two make me laugh! Sean - I'll look out for the red carnation! Good luck on Sunday! I'll try that technique on hills too. Bornagain - I now have a strange image of us all approaching that hill in a crab like fashion. Maybe the image will help me on the day.!! It sounds weird but it actually works - Danny Dreyer explains it in terms of you using different muscles compared to when you are usually running, so these muscles are relatively fresh. Here's a link of his explanation for anyone that's interested http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=GU1cifth7UAC&pg=PA178&lpg=PA178&dq=danny+dreyer,+lateral+stride&source=bl&ots=lF0kF192fV&sig=e-YtwF6Yb-lJEkhPcF2wM4dlO6M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=N7FNUs_ZFqqg0wWU14HoDw&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=danny dreyer, lateral stride&f=true

• Options

Hi all, 3 shortish runs this week so far, I will be practicing the crab on my hill run (multiple reps over the nearest/only road bridge) on Sunday, parkrun as well. Don't like the dark mornings so glad the LSR's are done, may even have a lie in on Sunday.

All the best to anyone racing this weekend, a wave to all those running Chester, I've done it the last 2 years, great race, organisation, enjoy.

• Options

Morning everyone

Just wondered if I might be able to ask some advice from any of you local to the area please?  I'm not sure what to do about getting to the event itself.  I'm staying at the Park Inn by Raddison on North Street (YO1 6JF).  I was thinking about attempting to get a taxi to the start area?  Most roads don't close until later so figured I could do this by setting off early?

Today is the last day to book the shuttle bus things and I can't make head nor tail of it image.  I'm not sure where I'd be able to get picked up on one of those.  I might even be within walking distance but want to limit the amount of walking I do as much as possible.

Any thoughts?

• Options

Tiny, I'd get a taxi - should be no more than 7 or 8 quid from there. You could walk round to the station to get a taxi, or Station Taxis is 01904 623332. They should be able to get you close enough.

It's probably half an hour brisk walk, but I don't expect you will want to be walking briskly!

• Options

Tiny - I'd agree with Cosmic. It's about 1 1/2 miles from the park inn to the start. The drop off zones are about 1/2mile-3/4mile from the start, depending on which zone you're in. So if you're wanting to walk less this may be the best option. i'm planning to get dropped off at one of the drop off zones, but taxi drivers are usually quite canny and may be able to get you nearer. You should be able to order one to pick you up from the hotel. I'm afraid I don't know where the shuttle buses drop you off.

• Options

THat's great, thank you both so much.  Will stick with the taxi.

• Options
    Hi all. Recently, I have also been exchanging ???running miles??? for ???running words??? resulting in a novel to help raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support ??? the main motivation for both the running and writing. Should any fellow runner wish to read an inspirational marathon story, plus raise money for cancer care, then please check out ???Breaking The Wall??? on Amazon Kindle. Thank you for your support... and all the very best with the marathon