Yorkshire marathon 2013

Comments

• This thread made me laugh. Thought I'd share it as we all need a bit of light relief during taper madness!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/no-race-number/248833.html

Good luck with the runs this weekend.

• Ah that's brilliant! Really funny, and gone global by the sounds of it! 

• thanks NSGNR very funny!

Just been out for planned 8.75 miles that ended up being 9.5, my race pace or thereabouts for first 6 so I am happy. My legs do feel so tired as when I am not running I am standing at work, doing housework etc must make effort to sit down and rest more in lead up to race.

I remember a while ago someone posting route of race on here, please could you do it again as would like more detailed map with roads were go along etc, thank you!

• Hi Lily - is this what you were looking for?

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/226837063/

Superb link NSGNR, although I almost snorted my coffee all over the place.

I've had an easy week having had a bit of calf pain after my long run. Hopefully just a precaution - I'll get out this afternoon and try it out.

Enjoy your runs...

• Thanks so much Gaz that is really helpfulimage hope your calf pain has gone and you have a good run this aft.

• Hope everyone's well.  A hilly 16 miles for me this morning and that's the last of the 'big' runs done.  Going to really enjoy a curry and some beers tonight and a lovely lie in tomorrow, can't wait!

• Those with 'supporters', how are you organising things? Do they go to the start area with you, and hang around the charity village etc for 3+ hours? What are people doing?

My boyfriend is planning to drive us to the park and ride, but doesn't fancy hanging around either at the start or elsewhere for hours, so he plans to cycle to various points of the route, and we'll meet back at park and ride. Just wondered what other options there are. Thanks!

• Hope everyone is ok & running well & injury free image

I'm back on it!.

i've totally ignored the advice from the physio to do a 3ml on the treadmill only & managed a 5,6,6ml outside. Head been totally pickled with the old ankle sprain & had to venture out for my sanity. Ankle ok! Strapped well & feels ok. Hoping to do 16ml on tue as missed 18ml long run this week. Fingers x all goes well. 

• Glad to hear you're on the mend skiprat, but don't overdo it. I can understand why you want to go out for a long one, but it's getting a tad close to the big day. You could try my friend's tack of 3 mins run, 1 min walk. She swears by it as a post injury recovery, although I've got to admit I found it a frustrating way of running. 

• Thank you Bornagain, I may try that tomorrow on a smaller run.

Just feel a little deflated that I've missed a Long one from my plan & I know a longer one will build up my confidence again. Will see how I feel after the weekend. 

• Skiprat, good luck to you, the usual advice is don't try to catch up on training you missed.

Steady run with parkrun, It was the first time my eldest donned his shorts and he wants to go on a run tomorrow, so it'll be 6-8miles, I may not be the only runner in the family.

My plan on logistics for the big day (not really a plan) will probably park near Field Lane off the Hull Road about 8, and walk to the start with bag. The OH is keen to go round York and will probably put the car on Grimston Bar park and ride when it opens at 9.15, the go shopping, catch first bus at 9.30. Then after finishing through the miracle of the mobile arrange to meet in the city centre, I may get a snack and pint on the way.

• Thank you sk14. 

I found this link re road clousers & all around the area is restriced including field lane. There is a housing estate just before field lane that you could maybe park up I Can get u street names If that helps?. I also have a feeling the park and ride won't operate into town on that day as the route of the bus is the marathon route. Only a thought. 

http://www.yourlocallink.co.uk/news/local-news/2013/oct-13/the-plusnet-yorkshire-marathon-2013-–-road-closures-rundown.aspx

• Thanks Skiprat I will check still two weeks to sort it.

• Two weeks to go! According to my Garmin, in the last 6 months I have run 587 miles at an average pace of 6.5 mph, climbed 35,300 ft in elevation and burned 71,200 calories!! Am I ready?

• Hello everyone, quiet weekend here. Husband is in Germany and youngest is still recovering at home so I'm cooped up with three boys and a dog! Hoping to get out tomorrow for 14 miles then that's it really. I have to say I feel tired and achy so am a bit worried I've overdone things, but fingers crossed I can get round on the day.

NSGNR I saw that before, poor guy must've felt such a Muppet when he realised!

I finally caved in and booked the park and ride, though the website isn't especially clear. Given that spectators can't go on the bus until after 9, I thought it was a bit cheeky to charge them a fiver a head so I've only booked for me and family will have to make their own way in.

• Skiprat - hope the run on Tuesday goes well. 

Skd14  - sounds like a good plan.

I ran the Bramham Park 10k this morning. It was certainly undulating (phew!), but the course was lovely - along tracks around the park. Really pleased with my time of 47.44 too. It was great to meet Sean F at the end. Sean - you were super speedy! 

Ran the local park run yesterday, and despite running steady I got a new PB! So this marathon training is doing amazing things for my running in general. it'll be easier runs for me this week, with 12 miles next weekend - half at marathon pace. Can't believe that at this time in two weeks we'll all have finished! 

• No posts since yesterday then three at the same time... Like buses!

muckles - that is some mileage. Well done, you're definitely ready! 

Susan - sounds like the taper is just what you need. Less running and more rest over the next two weeks and you'll be more than ready.

• 6 miles at MP pace as it turned out, my eldest followed up his parkrun debut with a Sunday morning run, flash in the pan or start of a promising running career? Having not done any training he did the parkrun under 26 mins (I managed a steady 22 mins) and he walked 3 times and kept a good pace today  until he got tired, still he is only 22.

I contacted First buses, Grimston Bar park and ride seems to be a normal service, I can't think that even a marathon can close the mighty A1079, the marathon last bit must only use part of the road/path? Field Lane is part of the one way system for the day, so I'm hoping it's open to pedestrians.

I agree on the two marathon park and rides only go to the start/finish, they are a bit confusing, not of any help to family/supporters or those wanting to get into the city centre. My running is no match to my OH as an opportunity to go shopping.

• Skiprat - glad to hear you're recovering

Good to hear everyone's starting to wind down although I'm finding it a bit odd and and feel guilty that I'm not running as much!

Think I need to just sit in quiet room for 2 weeks though as seem rather accident prone last couple of days - managed to trip over the handle of a bag and land spread eagled on the floor at a conference on thursday which was a) painful and b) rather embarrassing! Then got knocked flat on my face by a huge dog while running this am - thankfully I had jumped off the gravel path onto the grass to let it pass when it took me down so landed on wet grass not the gravel which I am very thankful for. Am feeling that I may not be so lucky a third time!!

NSGNR you are right, seems mighty odd to think it'll be over in 2 weeks. Then we can start training for the next!

• I had a drive of the rural part of the route today. As mentioned previously there are a few hills on the course but nothing of major note.

There's the bridge that crosses the A64 at about 4.75 miles. A hill at around 8.5 miles.There's also an incline on the A166 near Gate Helmsley around mile 15.

I can't imagine too many folk getting out to support between miles 7 & 23. It's either out in the country or on the main A166 road into York.

An advanatage of the route being so rural is the potential to run in the shade (if the sun comes out!) for a fair chunk of the race. It's also very tranquil out there. Running should be a pleasure.

I'm glad everyone is looking good for a fortnight's time. I did 10 miles on Fridat morning and could still feel last Sunday's LSR in my thighs. I twinged my back getting the little one out of the car yesterday so a few days rest now.

Living in York my logistics are just a case of getting dropped off at Tang Hall working men's club and having a leisurely stroll to the baggage drop off and changing area. Hopefully get picked up at the same place afterwards.

• Hi everyone.  17 miles for me today and that is that for the longer runs.  Sounds like most of you I'm contemplating what to do regarding travel arrangements.  Usually  I have my wife and two kids along who hang around until the start and then find the nearest shops to pillage until I get back at which point they politely wait for me to recover before my OH drives me home.  My initial ideas are:

Find a car park in the middle of York and walk to the start.

OH drops me off at the start and then goes into York to find a car par and we meet up at some point after the race.

We use the family unfriendly park and ride scheme (which reduces potential shopping time and will probably split us up anyway)

At least with the taper I have time to sort this out.

Happy running.

• I wouldn't walk from town to the car park as it is a good 25 minute walk before you've even started but everyone is different!

I did 14.5 miles this morning, starting at Stockton and Northgate lane where an incline there took me a bit by surprise, but now I'm mentally ready for it. It was a nice area to run through. I also did the final part from Holtby lane (without the joy of Green Dykes) and that was fine.

Not sure what mileage to end on next weekend now.

• I woken up early thinking about the marathon parking situation. I live in York & have been thinking about the logistical nightmare of getting home as the road that I need to cross to get home is shut!, it's a long road. 

I have had an idea for you all, god I'm sad!. 

There is a car park on kent street, YO19 4Ah, http://www.q-park.co.uk/parking/york/q-park-barbica.      it's run by q park, £8 for up to 12hr, open 24/7. It is about a 15min walk to green dykes lane, so perfect for getting to & getting back from the race. Also a perfect spot for spectators for start & finish. it's about 20/25 min walk to city centre so not to bad for spectators who want to head into town. its quite easy to access from Fulford Road which should be open all day. 

hope I've helped a bit, will go back to sleep now image

• What a great plan Skiprat - I had completely forgotten about that car park. There should be a "like" button on here! 

• Morning all, hope you got back to sleep Skiprat! Glad you are feeling better too.

Lots happened since I was last here.

Tiny hope you enjoyed your well-deserved beers, curry and lie in!

Skd, great your son is running too. I took up running because I saw my husband run. He can't now but still encourages meimage my daughter runs now and we have done a few 10ks together, I like to run with her and pace her.

Muckles, impressive statistics, def ready!

Susan, with all that going on you are doing so well to get out running. I hope to do my fav run along the river through York tomorrow then will just be doing a few jogs as my legs seem so stiff and tired.

NSGNR congrats on your brilliant w/e runs.

Tishtosh, hope you are ok after your mishaps. I know we will all worry the next couple of weeks, I even worry I might strain something at yoga!

Thanks for info on route Stimpy and Liam.

Y Plodder, congrats on long run.

Well that's me done, must get my girls off to school then going for run with my friend. The aim is to time the run and the trainer who designed my plan (I didn't keep to) will hopefully help me plan a race pace for the day! Not sure how this works because I will def be slower when I run 26.2 miles. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated thanks!

• Morning all

Hold your nerves everyone - been reading back about people trying to make up for lost sessions - don't do it! If it ain't on the plan, forget about it.  Now is the time for easy running, maybe the odd short and fast speed session, but mostly recovery.  Sleep well, eat well.  I know it's really hard (especially for us lot doing this for the first time), but you've got to trust in the training.  Nothing we do at this stage will help us run a faster marathon in 12 days time.  12 days - crap!

I'm starting to get a list together of everything I need to pack.  It's a very long list.......

• NSGNR: Good to see you yesterday abliet a brief meeting. Yeah that Branham park had me licked with the small but frequent hills and me wearing winter base layers in the barmy sun. Started the race really fast, dropped off a cliff for KM's 5-8 and then found a burst to sprint home. 45.42, I was quite pleased considering. Very enjoable scenery though, shall definitly run it again next year.

Plan for this week. Club track session tomorrow, 10k at lunch on wednesday, club 8 miles on thursday (with stops), park-run sat, then a possible 13 miles on Sunday. Then rest for 1 week.

My supporters want to go shopping after the finish, so ill likely get bedded in a pub for a few scoops and some scran. Anyone recomend a decent pub in town where I can get a good grill and some real ales??

• That's good advice tiny. I've made a list of tasty carb loading food, will hit Tesco on Thursday and stock up. I sort of know my race day plans - husband has no intention of supporting, so he'll just deposit me at the drop off point then put his feet up and plan how to spend the life insurance if the run finishes me off! Hopefully I'll survive for him to pick me up afterwards! Will be watching the forecast right up to the last minute before I decide what to wear. 10 degs is my cut off point for shorts! 

I'm a great one for lists too, hate leaving things until the last minute. Unlike my daughter, who flies out to Oz tomorrow for a year. Her room is a tip - I'm sure there's a carpet in there somewhere, buried under all the junk! 

Off out for a nice short de-stressing run now image

• A few kit list items, loo roll, protein for after marathon, old clothes or bin bag to keep warm at the start & dispose of. Change of clothes & shoes.

NSGNR- was a genius idea kent street car park, 5am I thought of that.

fab running everyone. 

happy today, last physio, 90% better. That was a close call & lesson learnt for me, no alcohol, heels & York cobbles a few wks before the marathon. Thanks for all ur support. 

• Loo roll! Yes, good idea. With 6000 folks using the loos it may be in short supply! 

Big roll of cotton wool to wrap yourself up in! 

Stay safe everyone!