Yorkshire marathon 2013

Comments

• swoddy, I was thinking exactly the same when I read skd14's post - times, thoughts, and plan for the day, although since my PB is 4:20 I will be really pleased to go sub 4. Not sure I'm quite up to a 3:49 which is my good for age too but think I have sub 4 in my legs (can't believe I've said that!). Will likewise follow the 9 min mile pacer and see what happens. See you both in pen 2!

Tiny 'liked'

Lily, really hope the stiffness etc settles - Boots is going to do a roaring trade on cotton wool from us all!

• did I mention I'm on commission?

• 8 miles for me today with 3 1 mile intervals.  Didn't want to push too hard as every slight twinge feels like I'm about to break something at the moment. Not sure about the temperature dipping though, I've got used to being warm.

Lily, good to hear that you are on the mend.  I find the week after a big race a bit of an anti-climax so as Swoody suggests I will be spending a few days relaxing on the sofa looking for a shortish race around December to keep me ticking over until I start again for London. 

Bit of celebration this weekend as my diary tells me that I have passed the 1000 mile mark for this year.

Happy tapering and keep healthy and injury free. 

• You know a race is getting close when you can nearly do a 10 day weather forecast!! image Good reading about everyone's preparations and logistical worries! I've just signed up for a little 10km on Sunday near Selby so hopefully get a last minute bit of speed in my legs after all these long runs (when I say speed it's all relative) Sports massage next week to iron me out then should be good to go fingers and toes crossed! Had a long overdue massage last week which was this close to torture - seriously has anyone ever had their glutes massaged?? Good god I could barely sit down the day after!

I'm hoping to keep up with the 9 min pacer too as would love to get near 4 hours so will try to hang on as long as I can. Never followed a pacer before but hopefully will stop me obsessively starting at the Garmin!

• Hells Bells - are you doing the Wistow 10k?, I am doing it as well. Going to do it as my speed session rather than a pb as I am still recovering a little from an ankle injury. Looks like a nice little 10k.

enjoyed reading everyone's race logistics & you are all inspirational. I would love to follow the 9min ml pacer but I always go for the safe option & hang back a bit. wish I had the balls just to go for it. Going to go out steady 9.30min ml then get the A166 out the way then speed up, found it worked for me in training. Hope to come in around 4.10. 

• Yes that's the one - not done it before but a friend found out about it so as I had 6 miles on the training schedule thought I may as well do it with company image.

• I haven't done it either but seems a nice route and I haven't raced for a while either & thought it may build my confidence a bit. Good luck and enjoy. image 

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

I do the Wistow 10k route in a summer league series.  It is as flat as a billiard table - no undulations whatsoever!  Definite PB material if there's no wind.  The route meanders & twists around the country lanes so by the time you are at 5-6k you haven't a clue where you are!

• Banksy7Banksy7 ✭✭✭

We are using the www.sheffield10k.com this weekend as a warm up to fire up the legs for the Yorkshire marathon the following weekend if anyone is looking for a loosener!

Hope its not too windy on the day - looking for a low 3 hour time fingers crossed!

• Can't believe you have just tempted me with the Sheffield 10k, really want to do it now. Not sure if my knee will take the slpoes though. Only just got it going again ready for the marathon.

I'll hopefully be with the rest of you and the 9 min ml pacer.

• Another one for the 9 minute mile pacers here! That's quite a few of us isn't it? Carnations all round! I was a bit confused by the most recent email. It said that the pacers could be found at the exhibition centre, 5mins from the start. Do you meet at the exhibition centre rather than go to your zone? 

Skiprat and Hellsbells - I'm feeling a bit tempted with the Wistow 10k now. Are there entries on the day? I probably shouldn't though as I could still feel last weekends 10k in my legs on my run this morning. On the positive side, no ill effects from my back over the last couple of days. Now where did I put that cotton wool?

• Hello, good evening and welcome

Steady running week it will be 4 shorter runs, 22 miles total mostly at MP with parkrun tomorrow. 3 short runs next week, then that's it, apart from running a marathon, how long is it?

I'll be entering Snake Lane 10  at Pocklington entries open at 8.00 tomorrow a good race always sells out.

Can't wait for the big one, just printing out the RW pace calculator band, to have some reference points through the race, I can't do the maths for split times when running, I don't take my Garmin, as I get obsessed looking at the pace, spoils it for me, so just my stopwatch.

Good luck everyone for the weekend running or racing

• NSGNR- Not sure if you can enter Wistow on the day had a little look on there website but it didn't say.

SKD14 - thanks for info on Pocklington 10, I will enter tomorrow. Always wanted to run it but never got round to it. 

Happy running, heading for 12ml now image

• morning everyoneimage hope all well, good to hear about race plans etc. I laugh that there is no pacer slow enough for me! The charity I am raising money for say they are going to meet me at the end, not sure if they want to wait that long! Feeling positive though. Problem I have is squeaky right shoe! I understand talc in the shoe can help, so will try to that before contacting Runners World Shop, but it is too late for new shoes...any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Swoody, the Leeds race look great but unfortunately away that w/e. Anyone else got any suggestions for a Yorkshire 10k in Nov/Dec?

Yoga last night and a short jog this morning just to keep legs moving.

Happy and safe running everyone.

• Im doing the Wistow 10k also, so ill hopefully see some of you there. A PB (hopefully) should do the confidence a world of good.

Lily, The Abbey Dash in Leeds is on November 17th, very fast course, but not incredibly scenic unless you love the kirkstall road loads.

• Nsgnr - says on entry form you can't enter on day but seems you can still enter online as you pick up number before the race.

Lily hopefully you won't be able to hear your squeaky shoe when surrounded by other runners! Unfortunately the Scarborough 10km is already full as thats a lovely run although I've decided against it this year as only 2 weeks after the marathon and I'm going to have a proper break afterwards. Next event planned is Rudolphs Romp in December which is 24 miles off road which scarily requires a map and a compass but excitingly involves cups of tea and biscuits at check points! Thought it would be a change to do an event that wasn't about times etc.

Good luck at Wistow everyone!

• Thanks for the info about Snake Lane Skd, I've done it a few times now and really enjoy it. 

Have a look at Jolly Holly Jog at the end of December Lily. Organised by Ripon Runners, and goes off road through Studley Royal. Can be a bit muddy, or snowy, but a really lovely course. Just right for running off Christmas excesses! http://www.northeastraces.com lists most of the races 'up North' 

• Starting to obsess about race day weather already.......15mph winds.  Of course the forecast could change considerably before then - here's hoping!  The next 9 days are going to drag............

• thanks Sean, Hellsbells and bornagain for you race ideas, feel I need to get one booked before next Sun...will also have a look at that website, thanks bornagain

Know how you feel Tiny, have a day off today, lots to do but trying to keep off my feet...haven't looked at weather forecast yet......not long now!

• If any of you guys were wondering about the pacers, I asked Yorkshire marathon where they will be and this was their response:

hi Matt. They are in the appropriate pens for their times so will start with you.

So they will start with us, but will we finish with them?????

• Great info about future races. I'm thinking of entering the brass monkey in January. Entries open a week after the marathon, I believe.

Hells and Skiprat - thanks for the info on the 10k. I've thought about it today and decided not to enter. I'm not disciplined enough no to go for it and, if I did, I think it might take too much out of me before next weekend. Hope you both and all others in events this weekend have a great run.

Matt - thanks for that info. I was feeling a bit confused about where to meet the pacers. 

• Oh ye of little faith Matt! Surely you know that if you have followed your training plan to the letter, you are guaranteed to finish on time! image And we've all done that haven't we?! 

• NSGNR, Brass Monkey will fill up within 2 hours of entries going live, so don't hang about. It's a great race, with the best marshals ever - I'm one of them! 

• NSGNR. If you're doing Brass Monkey make sure you enter on the hour that entries open. Historically it gets booked up within an hour or two. Very popular race.

Park run for me sat, 10k sun, then a club speed session next tuesday.

Then Maybe a little 3 miles to the shops and back on Thursday and or Friday to keep it ticking over. Then the big race

• Bornagainrunner. How come brass monkies entries open on a sat at 9am?? parkrunners are screwed. ha ha.

• I've heard the brass monkey marshals are amazing! image

Thanks for the heads up on entering...I'll be ready and waiting at 9am on the day. No park run for me then! image

• Sean, if my memory serves me correctly, I think it was 7 am last year! My daughter's never been up so early! I suppose if it was during the week folks would complain that they're at work and couldn't get their entry in. If you've got a smart phone you could always do your entry while doing the park run ...

• Marshals are amazing at the Brass Monkey, my fav Half marathon, ran it 5 times but u gotta be quick To enter. 

11 windy miles for me today, ankle felt good but i Struggled, hard goin.

• Never got a place for the Brass Monkey, marshalls are amazing.

My first race for 2014 is probably the Ferriby 10, hilly but a great race as previous 3 years, unless I find a cheeky half before that. If I'm training for a marathon I've run the Liversedge half very hilly, last year very cold and wet but very satisfying. Then Snake Lane I hope.

Longer term Retford half and East Hull 20, phew starting to feel tired thinking about it, probably not if I enter Manchester, TBC.

Next year, plenty still to do this year. 2013 curtain closer has been East Hull Boxing Day 10k for the last five years.

I can now officially add the weather of things to worry about.

• I'd like to do 9 min mile pace also based on my training, but given I'd never run more than 13 miles before I entered, I ticked the 5 + hrs box so I'm starting too far back to be able to use the pacers I guess...