Options

Yorkshire marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Good running at Wistow, I did it twice when it was 10 miles, I liked the course it was one of my first ever races over 10k, so good memories.

A steady jog tonight just to keep the legs and brain ticking over. I need to run off my stiff neck, this is self inflicted DIY related through painting bedroom ceilings, I knew DIY is bad for your health.

Keep tapering

• Options

Lily. My missus tells me to wear moisturiser every time I leave for a jog, says she doesn’t want to be going out with a wrinkly haggard old man. Ha ha.

Club intervals session for me tonight, 6 x 6 minutes out and backs, plus jogging to and from so should total about 8 miles. Then probably two final jogs on Thursday and Friday. Probably 4 miles each, no more.

• Options

Morning everyone image

Did my last 'proper' session last night with the club - 6 miles at marathon pace.  Now just for some short and very relaxed runs over the next few days, just to keep the legs ticking over and keep me from going mental.

Still checking the weather forecast like a crazy person 5 times a day though.  It does seem to be improving each time I look! Initially was 15mph winds.  It now looks like it's going to be wetter than forecast but wind speeds down to 11mph.  I'll take that image.

• Options

lol Sean, thought you meant moisturiser kept rain off your faceimage must have taper madness!

Day off today so trying to rest a bit, just been watching Chariots of Fire, seen it so many times but it gave me a tear in my eye, also motivating. Saving Run Fatboy Run for nearer the day!

Thanks for weather update Tiny.

Please could someone remind me of when the hills are on the route? I am trying to plan and visualise the more challenging parts. Thanks!

• Options

Hay Lily - we run over Stockton lane fly over just before 5ml mark, 9m quite a steep hill for about 1/4 mile. From 14ml to 18ml undulating but around 16ml farm shop to gate Helmsley is probs the toughest part but not too bad. I haven't ran all of the A166 only up to Gate Helmsley but I have driven it. 

Tang hall lane is a little incline around 25ml then good olde green dykes lane for the finish.

Hope that helps. image

• Options

All you guys seem to be going out on steady miles this week, I'm unsure.

Is it worth doing a couple of 3/4 milers at a very steady pace?

I managed to get back up to a 16 mile run at 8:30/mile 2 weeks ago after 4 weeks off with knee injury so not sure what to do this week. Run or rest?

It's playing with my head this week.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

• Options

long time lurker here, but have been enjoying the discussions. York will be my frst marathon and I think it'll be "one and done", particularly now that I've just hit 50! I've been following the RW sub-3:15 programme and managed 1:31 at the GNR last month

Here's the very useful route map - not "pancake flat", tho' the feet labels may make it look worse than it is...

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/226837063/

10 x 200 for me tonight, then it's a few easy miles each day. I read a recent article that a positive taper correlates with a positive race experience. May we all taper well!

• Options

Matt. I would say keep it under 8-9 miles this week on any particular run whatever you do. No long distance run this week will benefit you this Sunday, thus all you are doing is risking an injury. After my club session tonight I’m doing a four mile run on Thursday and Friday and that’s it. Cant risk it this close to raceday.

• Options

Cheers Sean, I'm thinking of just 3/4 tonight and again Friday.

HURRY UP SUNDAY.

• Options

Hi Lily. Bit of a hill at the six mile mark as you cross the A64. Then that cheeky little hill at 9 miles as you approach Upper Helmsley. I think folk have said the A166 near Gate Helmsley has a bit of an incline, then of course there's the infamous Green Dykes Lane at the end which we're doing sideways, or on all fours depending on how near death we are by then! The last 200 yards are downhill - perfect for rolling down if necessary! I don't think any of the hills are serious enough to worry about though.

I've just been out for an easy 3 miles, various speeds to keep my legs guessing. Really not sure what to wear on Sunday - over 4 and a half hours in the rain could feel cold. Debating taking my hi viz jacket, it's quite waterproof, very light, would keep me warm and I can tie it round my waist. 

Found some moisturiser Sean, put it with my Deep Heat! 

• Options

I hope that's a realistic picture of the hills on route, when I say undulating I just mean little ups & downs, no huge hills just not flat. image

• Options

Skiprat - very accurate description of the undulations!

Good luck with your first marathon, Are we there yet. Enjoy the experience! I did my first one last year at 'over 50' and said never again, but I'll be on the start line on Sunday!  

Take look at this - might help some people, although there's no way I'm doing a flat out run at this stage! http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/nutrition/2.php

Stay safe! 

• Options

Hmmm. Always tend to be weary about an article that’s also trying to push a product also, you can never be sure of the authors sincerity.

I would also highly recommend NOT doing the 3 minute flat out routine he suggests. If you don’t warm up properly the risk if doing a hammy or ending up with lactic acid legs the next morning is far to great. In fact I think its pretty reckless for them to suggest something like this, as it looks like they are trying to create a short-cut version of something athletes used to practise in the 60’s (and since discredited subsequently). That is, short circuiting your body by tricking it into thinking that you are depleting your carb stores to trigger a carb storage reaction. Very poor advice indeed.

• Options

Well I feel like I'm taking it very easy this week with just  3 mile run and  a massage on the cards! Sounds like the hills aren't too "hilly" and hopefully they won't be like the surprise hills at Marathon of the North! 

• Options

Sorry about that link - one of my club members posted it. Maybe he is a more experienced/fitter runner than me. 

• Options

All those hills have I entered SNOD by mistake!

Your never to old are you? I did my first marathon at 55 probably because a couple of people I know, said you can't do that or your to old? Everyone says they'll d just do the one, usually during the race and just after, I know I did. I was soon planning the next adventure. If I can do the training and stay injury free, I would want to do more.

I've dipped into Chester marathon thread and read the exploits of Bev Hart, a senior runner winner of F60 prize, worth a look. Go Bev go.

• Options

Hi again, not posted much but have been reading the thread with interest at what everyone has been getting up to... not long to go now! Sunday can't come quick enough for me now, did my last run on Sunday, 10 miles in 1.25 so that was a good confidence booster. Only been to 20 miles the once so am a bit nervous about how hard the last 6 will be. My first marathon so just aiming to finish, hopefully somewhere around the 4 hour mark... Hope everyone makes it to the start line, agree with the bubble wrap comments I already fell over once this week!image

• Options

Hi, arriving late to the party image *waves at Bornagainrunner*

4 miles run-walk for me this evening, probably another 3 on Thurs or Fri then that's it. I saw the 3 min effort thing and wouldn't want to risk it! Pull something and all is lost...also, it seems to have been written for cyclists?

I never know whether to run the day before or not...if I did it would only be like 2 miles really easy. 

If anyone is after disposable plastic ponchos they have them in Clifton Moor Tescos. They are really useful to have when you're standing around at the start and stops you getting too cold and wet.

• Options

It's so close now! I keep fluctuating between overly excited and a little terrified! Only one more run for me before Sunday - a slow four miles on Thursday morning.

thanks for the tip on ponchos - raring to go - might nip in and get one. Bornagain - I've seen that method referenced a few times - I'm simply looking forward to carb loading. Bagels, rice, cake... Yummy! Some great times for the 10ks at the weekend and the marathon dreams have made me laugh. Welcome to new posters too.

i have a question about fuelling during the race. How often are you all planning to take gels or other fuel. and how are you carrying them? I haven't got a plan yet.

• Options

Ha ha, hello Raring to go! Must admit, I don't fancy anything hard at all between now and Sunday. In fact, I've been taking it very easy since my final long run.

Ta for the Tesco tip, will visit tomorrow. More comfortable than a bin liner. 

• Options

Skd - I think it's inspirational to do your first marathon at 55. My one and only was just before I hit 40. I'll take a look at the Chester thread.

• Options

For fuelling I'm having at least 1 Cliff shot block every 3 miles from mile 6, will make me take a drink at all the stations and breaks the run up hopefully. Got to carry in shorts pocket though.

• Options

NSGNR- I take Sis gels at 7, 12, 16, 20ml, I have used a SIS gel belt in the past but annoys me and have pockets in my skapri & can fit 2 in each side, secured with safety pins & does the trick.

I'm contemplating carrying a water bottle, what are your thoughts everyone?. I have carried them on my other marathons as I like to be able to drink at any point but I do feel it restricts my running. 

I ordered 2 space blankets off ebay £1.99!. forecast is looking ok, early days but I'm obsessed http://www.metcheck.com/UK/7days.asp?zipcode=York

• Options

welcome new posters to the threadimage

thank you Skiprat, Bornagain and are we there yet for info on inclines

will pop into Tescos for a poncho, thanks raring to go.

NSGNR my fuel plan is sports dextrose on the half hour (and more if needed), gels hourly and on the 3rd hour a yummy high 5 energy bar which will hopefully be easier on my stomach as I find 3-4 gels my limit. I have a belt to carry 500ml water so hope to fit fuel in the little pocket and pocket in my shorts. Skiprat know what you mean about a bottle but I like the comfort of knowing I have water whenever I need it.....

may look in good old Boyes today for a poncho... like the idea of bringing your own space blanket Skiprat, in my 2 previous marathons they had run out by the time I reached the finish!

• Options

Morning all 

NSGNR - just be careful about new things on race day.  What fuel did you use for your long runs and how did you carry them?  I'd stick with that.  I'm using a SIS gel belt (yep it also annoys me a bit but if I push it down to the bottom of my hips it's not so bad).  I'll be taking a SIS GO gel before the start, at miles 5, 10, 14 and 18 and then a 'magic' zipvit caffeine gel at mile 22.  This is probably slightly excessive but I get on with the gels and I'll do anything to avoid the wall!

WIth regards to water, personally I wouldn't run with a bottle.  Drinks will be available every 3 miles and you can grab a bottle from the station and carry with you until the next one if you so wish.  Alternatively, maybe take a cheap bottle and then if it starts to annoy you you can just throw it away.

Carb loading begins tomorrow - can't wait image.  Weather seems to be looking a little better now.  Just want to run it!!

• Options

Morning all. steady intervals session last night , 7 miles in total. Legs feeling great and raring to go. Im brining 5 hi-5 gels with me on the day and half a packet of dextro tablets. Ill dip into to them after 8-10  miles and take when needed. Plenty of water and sports drinks on route so no need for a bottle / camelbak.

• Options

Hi everyone - I have been following your threads and enjoying 'listening' to it all. Just thought I would put my tuppece in about carrying a bottle. I did VLM in 2012 and found that it was okay carrying a small bottle with energy drink in - to me it was like a security blanket especially in the last few miles. Normally hate carrying bottles but will try this again on Sunday. Can't wait - good luck everyone and take care for the next few days. I have also started taking the Beet It juice and will do so now until Sunday. does anyone else there use it?

• Options

I'm getting very giddy now, feeling like a little kid waiting for Christmas! 

I think I might not take my water bottle because I get a stiff back quite quickly from carrying it, and as you say there is plenty of water available on the course. Will be taking 5 Hi-5 gels and belt to put them in, although I am mindful of the fact that it was too overloaded at my last marathon and drove me mad bouncing around. Had to carry all the gels in the end. 

What are your thoughts on getting a sports massage now? I've got some tightness in my hip, hamstring and foot and am doing plenty of yoga to stretch them off but I wonder whether it would be better to get a sports massage today or tomorrow? 

Welcome new posters image Thank goodness for the chance to discuss race day here, I'm sure all my family and friends are sick of hearing about it now! 

• Options

Definitely recommend a sports massage if you're feeling tight - it will get much deeper than just stretching.  I'm off tonight for one. If you're in the Leeds area I can recommend my sister at Essence Massage!  Unfortunately im in Hull so cant take advantage! 

Sandieh I tried the Beet It shots but just couldn't get it down the taste was horrible!  Mind you I don't like beetroot so should have known!

• Options

Another physio seen about my knee and they say can't do any more than I'm doing now to impove it. So go hard or go home on Sunday I guess. 4 hours here I come, I hope.

What to wear? Vest? t-shirt? t-shirt and vest? Wellies?