Yorkshire marathon 2013

Comments

• Afternoon all,

Looking forward to the York Marathon, it'll be my first one. Hoping to get through it. Had an interesting five months after falling over a bruising a bone in my knee - still not fully healed! Hope it holds out over the marathon training.

AP66 that plan looks good - I like the fact that it includes doing parkrun as I think it'll be a welcome respite to only run 3 miles before a 23 mile run the following day.

A seven mile run tomorrow should burn off the bbq I had this afternoon! image

• Thanks skd 14 great improvement in your 10k time. I seem to be heading in the wrong direction.........

Have had a nice weekend running, if a bit sweaty, 10 slow miles yesterday, 4.5 mile tempo today. Plus running round after the boys on their bikes today......I'm pooped.

• Hi Susan, welcome to the thread, congrats on your 3 marathons. Fab pb of sub 5, that is what I dream about! Know what you mean about speedwork. I have opted for a personalised plan this time which will have me doing lots of that I think! Good to hear you chatted to Mike T.

Hi Lord Boz, I was given the advice you will only ever run one first marathon so enjoy every minute and I did!

Sounds like you are doing some good running skd14 and app66.

Done lots of walking in the Dales and Moors over the w/e. 4.5 run planned with daughter later as part of our training for the Leeds 10k image

• Welcome the Lord, enjoy the experience but why?

Yesterday I entered the local club's summer league 10k on the night, I wanted to push for a PB as the running is going well at moment especially after the Hull 9k problems. I did it 46.10 a PB by 31 secs imagemost satisfying it wasn't perfect conditions but what the heck.

Planning on running 24 miles this week, 8,4,6,6, I'll include a 12-14 mile run early next week to get ready for my HM in 3 weeks, then another similar the week after.

York training plan starts after Hols in July, strangely looking forward to it.

• i wanted to pass on some info on the route to you all.

Ive Just just ran miles 9 to 13 of the marathon route, undulating all the way, then a nice downhill section then miles 17.5 ml to 20ml a really slow climb, will be a tough section, for half a mile there isnt a footpath and a very busy main road on that section, so not sure what will happen there. Very rural route but nice countryside scenery. 

Happy running

• Thanks skiprat, has anyone seen a full profile of the route? Can't see anything on walkjogrun etc.

• I take that back, I've found it!

• I thought York was pancake flat !!!

thats how the organisers describe it

• Hi everyone, mind if I jump in?

York will be my first mara, and training begins tomorrow image.  I'm actually really pleased to hear there are some undulations......I do most of my training on hills (can't really avoid them where I live) and I find that running for a long time on the flat is really tough.  A few small hills will make you use different muscles and alter stride length.  Although I must admit the 2.5 mile slow climb in the last half as described by skiprat doesn't sound too appealing image

• When you say training begins tomorrow.....I'm presuming there has been some 'training' before tomorrow !!!

• Ha ha, sorry Ap66.  Yes I mean my specific marathon training schedule begins tomorrow (I'm following the P&D 18 week plan, but 20 weeks away from race day).  I've been running and racing regularly for about 14 months.  I'm hoping that I have a good enough base to start marathon training, but time will tell!

• I guess flat is relativeimage   On walkjogrun the profile is only just over 200 feet gain (assuming that's accurate of course!) London and Manchester are super flat, but as already mentioned that can get a bit monotonous for the legs. Let's hope York gives us a nice balance image

• thanks Skiprat for the info on the course. I don't live far from York so running bits of the course sounds like a good idea.

Welcome Tiny Runnerimage like your positives for running on hills! I live at the top of a hill and in a hilly area so do a lot of hill running. Any race I do I find people walk on hills while I jog past, sure the hill running in training helps! Good luck with the training.

Is it really 20 weeks today?!image

• Where are the hills? wrote (see)

Bornagainrunner wrote (see)
    Where are the hills? wrote (see)

Also considering joining a club but have recently moved to York so unsure what's out there.  Any recommendations?

Hi Hills.

I joined York knavesmire harriers a few years ago now, and my running went from strength to strength.  They are a friendly bunch, loads of options for training.  Take a look at the website - www.yorkknavesmireharriers.co.uk

You won't regret it! 

Thanks for that! What night do you train with them? Both the Tue and Thur sessions are similar to what I've done in the past and the locations are very handy too.

hi Hills, sorry for the late reply, been off line a lot.  I used to do the track session on Thursday evenings, or the hill work on Tuesdays, which was great for improving my speed, but then I picked up an injury so was off for a while. The Monday sessions are really sociable.   To be honest, I haven't trained with the club for ages, but race with them several times a month.  Their training sessions are great - really accommodating and plenty of variety. 

• Morning everyone image

First full week of training completed.  Long run yesterday of 13 miles (done at 'chatty' pace) and a weekly mileage of 35.  Been hard work in the heat but hopefully all this training in hot weather will make race day that little bit easier.

• PB at Park run yesterday 22.59  although that's not really going to help me run a marathon....

planning my longest run so far today 11 miles !!

where is everyone else with their long runs. 26 miles seems a long way off For me...

• Don't get too hung up on the length of your long runs yet Ap66.  Still 19 weeks to go.  If you manage 11 today you'll be well on target.  Although I agree that 26miles does seem pretty impossible!  We'll get there though image

And well done on the parkrun PB!  Don't push too much on future speed sessions though whilst you're focusing on building distance.  Is anyone else planning any half-marathon races in the lead up to York?

• Thanks TR85

planning half at fleetwood 25th August then looking for a20 miler end September.

• Hi everyone,

I'm ticking over at 25 miles per week, LSR today 13.5 miles, my longest run since Manchester marathon, not in the sun on the east coast though, so good for running.

PB at parkrun by 2 secs at 21.52 pleased with that as I was 26 secs in front of a much younger work colleague, I don't know who was most suprised. Parkruns I don't try to time myself and run as I feel on the day.

Next week local 7 mile race on Tuesday, a 6 miler, bike to work day, then off to Morecambe on Saturday for the cross bay challenge, a half marathon across the sand and river estuaries from Hest Bank to Flookburgh. Great, mad and hard, last year it was against a fairly strong wind for 11 miles. Still a 1000 plus hardy souls will be there on Sunday.

• My two half marathons before York will be Major Stone half then the week after the iconic GNR, last year was my first GNR a great experience, so much so I've signed(paid) up as a member for the next 3 years guarnteed entry.

I'm toying with the idea of Yorkshire Wolds half in July at the Bishop Wilton show, this depends on my fitness post holiday and weather forecast, I hate running in the heat.

• JohnnybikeJohnnybike ✭✭✭

Ran 13.1 last weekend as a training run - 1:50 so happy with that. Not sure I fancied doing it again though.

Hilly 10 mile race this Wednesday  - Otley 10 - not a course for a good time but will be nice to race a ten and see what I have got. Recce of Bradford Millennium Way relay (leg 3) this morning and really enjoyed it. Race next Sunday.

Proper marathon training starts mid July. Anybody got a link to the York course profile. Undulating  and a 2.5M climb are not what I signed up to.

• Ap66 - 20miler sounds good.  Would be great just to practise trying to hold marathon pace for that long.  Will have to keep my eyes peeled as 20 mile races are quite rare.

Thanks for those links Susan.

Skd14 - I also did GNR last year for the first time. I loved the experience, it's something that will always stay with me and really glad I chose it as my first half marathon.

Johnny - that's a cracking training run there!  Good luck for the Otley 10.

• JohnnybikeJohnnybike ✭✭✭

Thanks Susan, the route look pretty flat really, not much overall elevation.

Based in Leeds so Iam used to running up hills (slowly) so I am hoping the flat course will be a big assist

• Trying to build my mileage up now, but a walking holiday will scupper the next few weeks. Will pack my trainers though. Doing a few Vets races this month, then Humber Bridge Half at the end of the month. I liked the look of the Major Stone Half, but wonder if I will need to be saving my energy for longer runs by then.  This is only my second marathon, so very inexperienced. 

• Hi Bornagain,

I will be working in some longer runs and 3 x 20 around the half's, worked last year and Chester was a couple of weeks earlier. I've found the LSR's are best at a steady pace I did a 20 mile race a few weeks before my second marathon, two years ago, didn't taper properly and I struggled in the marathon from about 15 miles. So since then I've followed a structured plan and it's worked. My plan will only be up to 45 miles per week at it's peak.

Humber Bridge half is a good, well organised race, undulating and take care if it's hot but enjoy it.

• Hi Tiny,

I agree with you on the GNR, the atmosphere, the metro full with runners, the city centre packed, the fly over by the red arrows, I was on Tyne Bridge for the second fly past. The enthusiastic crowds,high fiving the kids, even on a wet day like last year. The Bands the one on the underpass playing Geordie favourites, Elvis at the top of the hill then seeing the sea at South Shields. I enjoyed every minute, a great feeling. Then it was off for fish and chips whilst watching the red arrows display. 

I said to anyone if you only do one race in your life do the GNR. 

• good to see the thread getting busyimage must say I struggle to run in the heat, I have only ever trained for a spring marathon. Any tips would be great. Also there seems to be so many other things taking up my time with work, garden, family etc. Have kept the running ticking over since Sunderland and am due to start 18 week plan next week. Not feeling very motivated at the moment.

• Yeah I'm still undecided about the 20 mile race.  I've found the South CHeshire 20 which is on 15th September (5 weeks out) which would be perfect, but it would be a good 160 mile round trip and I'm not sure I could face that.

Lily - there's a superb bit of writing floating around here somewhere called 'when you stand at the start line'.  I'll dig around and see if I can find it for you.  It sounds a bit sad but I always get a bit teary-eyed when I read it! I can just imagine how amazing I'll be feeling when I line up on marathon day, knowing that I've done all the training to the best of my ability.  It's a great motivator.  I'll have a look, back shortly......

• WHEN YOU STAND ON THE START LINE

"When you stand on the Start Line, you join the club. When you stand at the Starting Line you earn your membership. Millions dream of being where you are. You are no longer a dreamer. You are a doer.

Thousands more started a training programme but never finished. They started with the same enthusiasm (or more than) you. They started with more or less the same physical gifts or disadvantages as you did. They had no more and no less reason to be successful than you.

But somewhere along the way, they lost that enthusiasm. Somewhere on the road or on the track or treadmill, they decided that the rewards just weren't worth the effort. They decided that they could live without finding their limits, without challenging their expectations of themselves and without taking a hard look at their image of themselves.

You didn't. If you’re standing at the Start Line, you've not only accepted the challenge, but you've also beaten back the demons. You've conquered your imagination and self-imposed limitations. You've gone further, got stronger and become tougher than you ever imagined.