Running for a charity

Hi
I've been offered a place to run for Shelter, they seem very nice and appear to offer a lot of support etc. Trouble is they have sent me a 'Deed of Gift' document for me to sign, this will commit me to raising £1200. Fair enough, and if I get a ballot place, I would still consider running for them, but there is another charity that I would like to share the money with. So, if I sign this 'Deed', would I still have to raise the £1200 expected?

Comments

• Well, what does the deed say?! At a guess it probably means what you suspect it does. If it's not clear to you, then there is only thing you should do before you sign: get a clarification from them.

Normally, charities don't do that kind of thing this early, ie get peole to commit to raise a certain amount before they actually know whether they've got a place through the ballot.

Either way, good luck with the fund-raising and the beast itself next spring!

PS: How could Sue be short for Caren D Komunitie?!?!?!!?
  • You need to wait till after you know about the ballot place. If you get a ballot place, you can do what you want - raise some money for Shelter or whoever else you want. As long as you've not signed anything there'll be commitment. If you don't get a place in the ballot, it sounds as though this document you've been asked to sign does commit you to raising that sum (which is less than many - the average is about £1500).

If you sign it before you know about the ballot place, then it sounds like you're committed to raising the £1200 whether you get a ballot place or not. So I guess the sensible position would be to not sign it until you find out if your ballot entry has been succcessful.
  • Hi Sue and everyone else :)

My interpretation of it is that if you have been offered a golden bond place and sign the agreement, then this commits you to raising the £1200 (or whatever amount it is) as long as you hold that GB place. If you subsequently are successful in gaining a ballot place (hurrah!), then you can contact the charity, relinquish your GB place (and some very grateful runner will get it instead...) and whilst you should really still support the charity at least to some degree, you are not bound by GB rules/agreements to raise a minimum amount.

Good luck in the ballot eveyone. Here we go AGAIN!