Abingdon Marathon 2013

Comments

• DS2, Non-stick, I'll take the other one off you after Whitrod if still available.

I have tapered for maidenhead 1/2 this Sunday and would love to push out to the full in OCT

Please contact me, thanks!!

• If anyone is going out at around 3:10 pace i'd be happy to hold onto your heels so to speak...

• imageimageAnymore pre-races or predictions? Cut'n'paste away!

Keir, How was the Kent coastal marathon?

Abingdon Marathon pre-races

September
    1st - Kent coastal marathon, Keir
    8th - Warrington HM, Hissy fit
    8th - Beford 10K, James F
    15th - Lake Vyrnwy HM, Dr.Dan
    29th - 10K trail race, rosie rr
    29th - Horsforth 10K, Dr.Dan
    29th - Folkestone HM, Keir

October
    6th Cardiff HM, James F
    13th - GE HM, rosie rr
    13th - Ridgeway 15.5K off-roader, The Bus
    13th - Flintshire 10K, Martin G

Abingdon Marathon Predicited Times

Martin G - 2:42
    Keir- 2:48
    Millsy1977 - 2:58
    Jamie F - 3:04
    Dr.Dan - 3:29

rosie rr -  later
    Hissy fit - later
    The Bus - later

• I'm going for a 3.35 I think - might change my mind though

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Thanks for asking Dr D.

Here is my marathon report:

Kent Coastal Marathon. Plan was PMP + 1min all the way - so 7.25m/m. To hold myself back I deliberately started towards the back of the field, but then promptly ran past everyone for the next 2 miles before I found someone I knew who was going for a 3.10 so I made a vow not to overtake them for a while. Consistently sticking to a slightly fast but very comfortable 7.12m/m. I managed to stay with the guy for the first 12 miles but then they slowed into the coastal headwind and I felt ok, so continued at the same pace into the wind and slowly passed people. Turned at 19m with a nice tail wind. Every marshal said I was in 6th place, no matter how many people I passed since the last marshal. With the tail wind the pace creaped up to 7.10m/m, but with 2 miles to go a marshal shouted that a runner was 1 min ahead and struggling so I focused on driving my arms a bit and pulled them back, to cross the line in 3.8.20 (Garmin time) and... 4th place overall.

5m splits:

Dist Pace Avg. HR
    5.00   7:06  143
    10.00 7:17 141
    15.00 7:21 144
    20.00 7:09 154
    25.00 6:54 157
    26.48 6:20 168

On checking splits the final mile was run at 6.10m/m. Why can I pace at that at the end of a marathon without feeling I am going flat out, yet struggle to hit it in a training progressive run? image

• adrenaline of having someone to chase downimage

soundfs like a good race

• Keir, I think that shows how much of our running is a mental effort.

Sorry, if I try and cut n paste I will just balls it up so best not to even try.

• Anymore pre-races or predictions? Cut'n'paste away!

September
    8th - Challenge Henley (IM tri) Blisters

October
    6th Cardiff HM, James F
    13th - GE HM, rosie rr

Martin G - 2:42
    Blisters - 3:15-3:20
    Rosie rr -  3:35

Hissy fit - later
    The Bus - later

• Kier, I'm not quite at your speed but I'm the same with the paces. I'm almost like a different person on race day.
  • Keir ... great running! image

• Great racing Keir - you gotta be happy with that! Th answer to your last question is easy - Race Day Magic image

Long run in the heat last night - very bad! My slowest 20M ever and 30 secs per mile behind target. Not helped by having a major hill at the 17M point (which I looked forward to the whole way!) Felt so ill after I could hardly eat my tea! Hamstrings pretty sore today too, which didn't happen on the last two long runs. Doesn't really give me any indication for an Abo time yet! Still, 3 long runs in 3 weeks is probably pushing, so wil take at least 10 days to the next one.

Race on Sunday (short local one without too much rpessure to perform) so:

September

3rd - Wooburn Park 10k, bus

October
    6th Cardiff HM, James F
    13th - GE HM, rosie rr

Martin G
    - 2:42
    Blisters - 3:15-3:20

Hissy fit - later
    The Bus -  still later for definite, but sub 3 or bust!

• So, that's 3 of us with a "nightmare 20" in the bag ... it can only get better from here. image

• What I'd give for a nightmare 20 miler!

Have had a dodgy hamstring for the last 8 days so am currently resting.

Hopefully I can get back to some sort of training next week.

Will be relying on the miles I have already put into my legs to get me round I think.
  • Fair play Millsy - fingers crossed, but don't be afraid to try unless its definitely an injury that would be daft to run on. My "dodgy" hamstrings are a hangover from a torn gluteus tendon in March and they just don't seem to want to improve - the ironic thing is that long runs don't seem to make it worse, whereas speedwork does, and sitting down at a desk all day can lead to agony! My physio told me to rest (with a whole pile of stretches) but as relative rest for 4 weeks made no differnce to medium intensity training who knows what's the best approach?

Dan - wise words image

• I will start running next week so hopefully in a couple of weeks will be able to assess how much I can run and how much walk and then join the listimage

• The Bus- but speedwork involves much more hip extension (and so more stretch on your glutes and hamstrings) than a LSR plod.  Sitting down allows your hammies to tighten into spasm, especially if they are already injured.  Office workers are well known to have tight hamstrings...

• Spot on OS! You sound like my physio - just don't tell me to stop running and add another hour of stretches and glute strnegthening into each day image

What I need is a new active job as a scaffolder or something image

• Hi Chaps,

I've managed to get myself a place! I was training towards a 1/2 but will now have to chuck in a few long runs to bring me up to 'Marathon Ready'.

I've got a 10 mile race on 11th Sept and contemplating Malmesbury 1/2 on the 22nd Sept as pre-races.

Not too sure about a predicted time for Abingdon. According to the calculators I 'should' be able to go sub 3 but I think 3.15 is more realistic.

My recent long training runs have been a 14@ 1.42, 19@ 2.24 and 13.2@ 1.30.

Have to see how the 10 mile race goes on Wednesday....

• Leebe.
    If you've not banked half a dozen 20+ milers then I reckon that you'll be a great half marathoner. The 19 looks to be very good, I'd suggest focussing your week to ensure that you get the long ones in. With a 3:00 to 3:15 target you need to be comfortable that you can maintain consistent pace through to 26 miles. If the endurance isn't banked the last few miles will fade badly. Believe me, I know.
    The good news is that it looks like you've got plenty of time. Those fast 10 milers will certainly help, but the race starts once the 20 marker is bagged.

Enjoy the day.

• Blisters,

Thanks for the advice. To be honest I reckon I'll get in a maximum of another three 20+ milers before Abingdon, as I'm always prone to injury if I put in too much training. I never know how some of you chaps survive no injury on 50+ a week!

Cheers

Lee

• I've realised that running a half marathon tomorrow on tired legs isn't going to help me predict a time for Abingdon! So may as well just cut 'n paste............

September

1st - Kent coastal marathon, Keir

3rd - Wooburn Park 10k, bus

8th - Warrington HM, Hissy fit
    8th - Beford 10K, James F
    15th - Lake Vyrnwy HM, Dr.Dan
    29th - 10K trail race, rosie rr
    29th - Horsforth 10K, Dr.Dan
    29th - Folkestone HM, Keir

October
    6th Cardiff HM, James F
    13th - GE HM, rosie rr
    13th - Ridgeway 15.5K off-roader, The Bus
    13th - Flintshire 10K, Martin G

Martin G
     - 2:42
    Blisters - 3:15-3:20
    Hissy fit - 3.50

The Bus -  still later for definite, but sub 3 or bust!

Hope you all have a good run this weekend, and good luck to all those racing image

• Leebe - 3 20M+ runs on top of the 19 and other long runs already done before Abo sounds fine to me - enough without overdoing it too close to the race. That's as much as I did before my first marathon (which was also Abo and I scraped a sub 3). Worth trying to get some MP pace in the last of those though, preferably 5M at the end as well as some other MP work.

Wooburn 10k for me yesterday. Big steep hill at the start and some twisty, gravelly sections so not a PB course, but a good race nonetheless and a very picturesque location with a BBQ and beer after (and always sunny!). Given the ongoing hamstring issues, resultant lack of speedwork and the marathon training thrown in for good measure I wasn't expecting much timewise, so was very pleased to get within 10 secs of my course PB, largely helped by a bit of a ding dong battle with a local rival to push things along (I lost to him in the end, but hey ho...!). Also picked up a nice spot prize - a bluetooth speaker for a smartphone/tablet, which was a nice bonus!

• TB,

Thanks for the advice. I reckon I'll be doing pretty much what you've suggested, so that's encouraging. I did that sort of mileage before the Marlborough Downs 33mile Challenge and was fine endurance wise. However I understand that a road Marathon at a quicker pace is a different beast altogether! 

Well done on Woodburn and the spot prize had to be a nice extra!

Cheers

Lee

• Good morning all,

been on the waiting list but have just got a place.

As you can imagine I am over the moonimage  

This is my local marathon , I got a pb  on my last outing here. ( 3:17)

Won't be as quick this time as I've been doing longer races at a slower pace

and need to get some speed back into my legs.

Got some spare time, too wet for my allotment, so I'll read back over this thread 

to catch up with you all.

• Yesterday's marathon result at Henley:

wait for it

4:43:11.

I blame the warm up.

• What a mere 3.8k splash and 180km roll out on a push bike? Why would that affect a marathon time image

Bloody well done for completing it Blisters - respect!

• Good work Blisters!

I managed an hour on the bike today. Hopefully I should be back running by Sunday. Abingdon may be back on. Not sure about the sub 3 though.
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Blistersimageimage

Perhaps at Abo you won't get as wet nor have that 112mile spin on the bike before you start the run. 

• Good work at Henley Blisters.

I had a pretty successful weekend of running with a Parkrun PB on Saturday followed by a 10k PB and 4th place finish at the Bedford 10k on Sunday, so pretty pleased with how my training is going at the moment. Another 20miler planned for this weekend, although I seem to have developed a slight "niggle" in my right calf which came on Sunday morning before the Bedford 10k. I was debating whether to pull out of the race or not, but decided to go ahead and see it felt and it was fine during and after the race. I'm putting it down to not warming up before the Parkrun on Saturday (my own stupid fault!), and I can still feel it niggling every now and again today, so I'm debating whether I should continue my training this week as planned with some track speedwork tonight or whether to rest it for properly for a day.

• imageBlistersimage ... hope you're going to pull your finger out and get on with marathon training now. Lazy git.image

Hissy - how was Warrington?

Bus ... good race.image

JamieF ... double PB and 4th!image Very nice.image

Millsy ... looking hopeful!

Paul_very_long_name ... welcome!image

Missed parkrun on Saturday and didn't fancy a 4th consecutive 20+ LSR, so made use of the fresher legs and did 16.3 miles at an optimistic race MP ... 7:44/m (3:22 pace) at 78-79% maxHR. Felt pretty strong and it gave me a lot more confidence than the under-fuelled 22M slog last week.