Abingdon Marathon 2013

Comments

• Hello All,

I have a place available as I will not now be running this event. Please drop me a note if you are interested in taking the number - the event web-site indicates that it is still possible to transfer.

Cheers.

• dan - sounds like a sensible appraoch. Still trying to decide whther to take a step back after 3 weks of long runs, or just push through with a 22 this week and 24 next. Given that the last 20 was last Tuesday, a weekend one would at least benefit from a  few extra days between.

Jamie - a good weeknds racing there! Unfortunate about the calf niggle (but self diagnose as to the cause seems about right image). hoepfully one that will sort itself out pronto, but I certainly wouldn't be doing any trackwork on it tonight if I was in your shoes.

• Cheers TB. My first hiccup in my training so far, so I'm keen to not aggrevate it further and potentially make things worse. A night on the rumble roller may be in order instead of running. Deep down I now that's the right decision, but nobody wants to interrupt their training plans do they?!

Most of you guys seem to be knocking out some high mileage weeks, good work. 5 weeks to go on Sunday, it's getting closer!!

• Shh - don't mention how little time there is left image

One night off will be neither here nor there in benefits, but turning a niggle into an injury at this stage is not a good idea (wish I could practice what I preach though!!!!)

• I took your advice TB and had the night off last night. Doing some cross-training tonight on the bike so hopefully that will help with the calf before back to running tomorrow. I think we're all the same in that we should practice what we preach more!

• The Bus wrote (see)

One night off will be neither here nor there in benefits, but turning a niggle into an injury at this stage is not a good idea (wish I could practice what I preach though!!!!)

Wish I could practise that too!

Currently nursing a tender kneecap - but ironically it's not from the running, it's from kneeling down whilst washing my trail shoes over the bath! Struggling to decide whether to rest or not, since it doesn't affect me mechanically, but I am can tell the soreness is there, and don't want a niggle to become an injury.

Simon Whitrod wrote (see)

If anyone is going out at around 3:10 pace i'd be happy to hold onto your heels so to speak...

Target 3:10 for me, I'm aiming to go out at 3:08:30 pace and stick to it...

• Abingdon Marathon pre-races

September

1st - Kent coastal marathon, Keir
    3rd - Wooburn Park 10k, bus
    8th - Challenge Henley (IM tri) Blisters
    8th - Warrington HM, Hissy fit
    8th - Beford 10K, James F

15th - Lake Vyrnwy HM, Dr.Dan
    29th - 10K trail race, rosie rr
    29th - Horsforth 10K, Dr.Dan
    29th - Folkestone HM, Keir

October
    6th Cardiff HM, James F
    13th - GE HM, rosie rr
    13th - Ridgeway 15.5K off-roader, The Bus
    13th - Flintshire 10K, Martin G

Abingdon Marathon Predicited Times

Martin G
     - 2:42
    Keir- 2:48
    Millsy1977 - 2:58
    Jamie F - 3:04
    Ballesteros - sub 3:10
    Simon W - 3:10
    Blisters - 3:15-3:20
    Dr.Dan - 3:25
    Rosie rr -  3:35
    Hissy fit - 3.50

The Bus -  still later for definite, but sub 3 or bust!

• Hi,

Can you transfer places this year? I have two entries that I may be looking to pass on.

Mitts
  •  Dan, here is my predicted time - 3:45 

It may change as we get nearer the day depending on how all these speed sessions play out over the coming weeks.

•  

Abingdon Marathon pre-races

September

October
    6th Cardiff HM, James F
    13th - GE HM, rosie rr

Abingdon Marathon Predicited Times

Martin G
     - 2:42
    The Bus -  sub 3 or bust!
    Paulie B - 3:45
    Hissy fit - 3.50

• Mitten
    Yes you can transfer places, but you had better be quick, they want to send out the race packs very soon.

Either arrange a number swap directly with someone, and coordinate it via email and snail mail through the organisers, OR, just tell them that you've pulled out and that someone from the reserve list can have your place.

I wouldn't expect to get any money back at this late stage.

• 5 miles done this evening with no hamstring pain. It's all looking a lot brighter than this time last week.
  • That's good Millsy. Similar story for me - almost pain free running, though still very painful sitting down at the desk (trying to get up, move around and stretch the hamstrings regularly). Big week (for me) planned this week, with a 22 on Sat taking me to 65 for the week - it will mean breaking one of those golden rules of not increasing mileage by more than 10%, as the last 3 weeks have been 50s, but I'm looking at it as sh1t or bust time now!!

Ballesteros, That's shocking. You wash your trail shoes image? Hope the knee recovers quickly.

Dan - nice work with formatting that list! When I did it, I couldn't get rid of the additonal line break that semed to randomly appear! I might have another race to go in, but will confirm later - South Bucks 10k on the 6th oct.

• Bus... the trade secretimage is to press "shift" and "return" to get a new line without a spare line (hard/soft returns in old money).

Good news on the hamstrings etc.

Looks like my HM on Sunday is going to be a wet and windy outing - only good thing is that the route around Lake Vyrnwy is mostly tree lined so there should be some shelter. 

• I have a place available to resell if anyone is interested. I will hold for a couple of days, and if no interest, will pass on to the Abingdon reserve list before the race packs are finalised.  PM me if interested

• I am aiming for a complete, but would like to sneak in with a few minutes to spare!

are there any other slower marathon runners hiding in the wings?!

• Well, I did my 10 mile race yesterday in 1:00.45 and felt quite comfortable apart from the piece of grit I had in my sock which caused a nice blister as a result.

As such I'm happy with my speed and just need to work on the endurance now. Hoping to get a 20+ this weekend followed by Malmesbury 1/2 the week after.

Abingdon Marathon pre-races

September

22nd- Malmesbury HM, Leebe

October
    6th Cardiff HM, James F
    13th - GE HM, rosie rr

Abingdon Marathon Predicted Times

Martin G - 2:42

Leebe - 3:00 -3:15
    Hissy fit - 3.50

• Leebe, great result on the 10 miler. You should be looking at sub3 with a performance like that.
  • Nice one Leebe, great time for a 10miler, shame about the blister though.

20miler planned for me this weekend at marathon pace. The last 20miler I done I managed to do in 6:39 pace, a lot quicker than planned but very happy none the less with how it went. Got a weeks holiday in Majorca coming up, so will try and get out for a few runs whilst I'm away, just hope the wife doesn't mind too much!!

• Abingdon Marathon pre-races

September

22nd- Malmesbury HM, Leebe

October
    6th Cardiff HM, James F
    13th - GE HM, rosie rr

Abingdon Marathon Predicted Times

Martin G - 2:42
    Leebe - 3:00 -3:15
    Hissy fit - 3.50

• Thanks for the tip Dr D!

Leebe - good work on the ten miler. Looking for a sub hour next time out?

Jamie, if you are doing 20 at 6:39 pace in training, then you should have a marathon target of sub 3 at least! A lot of people would think that's TOO quick a pace for a LSR, but I guess that depends on how comfortable or otherwise you find it.

• Jamie I agree with the Bus. I didn't get anywhere near paces like that in the lead up to my first ,and only, sub 3
  • Thanks Bus, I agree, sub-3 is a possible target off the back of that run, but I am sticking to my original goal of sub-3:05 (London GFA time) so that I am not disappointed if I don't achieve a sub-3. As this will be my first marathon a sub-3 would amazing, but I'm trying not to think about that at the moment!

The pace was quicker and by almost a minute per mile, but I was feeling good towards the end so decided to maintain it. I don't plan on going that pace this weekend though.

• Jamie: 6:39 pace for 20 miles in training is something to be proud of. I'm not sure if you did that as part of a normal week, or whether it was after a significant taper. If it was truly a training run, then doubly impressive. Whether Abingdon's your first marathon or your 20th you should take the confidence in your abilities and plan for a 2:59:59 pace. It's a very slack 6:52m/m if I recall correctly. Sub 3 is only a line on a clock face. For a young guy like yourself, it shouldn't represent anything like the potential peak of your performance.

However, I would strongly recommend getting the advice of a marathon coach. Even now. We are entering the critical phase when you can make a difference to peak performance.

You are going to nail sub 3, subsequently take on 2:45 without problem, and if you get into the 2:30, 2:20, and 2:15 zone I'd like to know how you did it.

• Thanks Blisters. It was part of a normal week if I'm honest, and I even surprised myself with how it went. I think deep down I have the ability to go sub-3, but how low I'm not sure. I'll find out on the 20th October!!

I appreciate the confidence and advice in possibly getting close to 2:45 and if I manage to go beyond that, I'll let you know my secret!!

• Thanks Millsy, Bus, and Jamie

Bus, yes those 46 seconds are slightly annoying!

Jamie, well done of the 20miler, If I were you I'd take a lot of psychological encouragement from that time that sub 3:05 is easily in your grasp.

• As previous marathon runners, I'm taking your comments in and re-thinking about my target. Fingers crossed!