Abingdon Marathon 2013

Comments

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I'm training hard but still in the waiting game to buy a number. image

• Hi, Does anyone have a place for this going spare ? I'd love to organise a transfer and I know quite a few people regularly enter and drop out each year - is it still too early to pickup a place ?

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

Way early I'd imagine, most people would not have started a marathon training program yet so injury reasons would be unlikely, probably last few weeks there will be loads and posts I've seen support this

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Oi MW17! - Get in the queue! image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Yep Kier was first in line.
  • Martin- I'm doing the entries for the marathon.  So far there has been a slow trickle of swaps going on, mainly between friends/ club mates and there are about 80 on the waiting list that I am holding.  But as Nonstick says, its a bit early to have many transfers yet so don't give up hope!

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

Starting my marathon traing this schedule on Monday, can't believe it has come round so quick, anyone else starting soon?

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I've been between 60 - 75mpw since the start of May. Mainly just steady miles with some hill reps and an LSR between 14 - 17m. But like you Nonstick, I will also starting to have more of a Marathon focus from Monday. image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'm working on building my base fitness back up after VLM. Currently focussing on a 50k in August and then a bit of fine tuning and speed work after that.
  • NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

Wow Keir, 60 - 75 miles per week is impressive and not even on a marathon schedule! I'm currently doing 45 - 50 as I've being doing a lot of 10k races but ready to take it further, this will be my first marathon

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nonstick wrote (see)

Starting my marathon traing this schedule on Monday, can't believe it has come round so quick, anyone else starting soon?

Yep, the LSR build up started last Thu with a hard and VERYwet 16 miler-what a way to spend my birthday!!!

Having not run a marathon for a couple of years, I'm kinda dreading the 20+ miles training runs image

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

Got second edition advanced marathoning book today for fathers day present, now which schedule to do, probably be the 17 week 55-75 mile schedule as this looks about right for me. This has 4 20+ mile runs so I am like The Bus in not looking forward to these, need to find a nice route

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    It's much nicer doing your long runs during the summer months.

It's generally a lot more miserable training for a spring marathon where it's usually freezing cold, wet and dark at 5 pm. I lime the fact that I can run more varied routes in the summer as the trails are not too muddy.
  • Hey folks, crashing the thread, looking forwards to this as my first full mara, 1 week of training down so far.

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

Going for my first run today.  2 mins running with 1 min walk breaks between. It's progress but kind of depressing at the same time.  My last run was 20 miles back at the end of Feb!  I have 4 months to race day. It's going to be tight.

Hope everyone else is well and those who are looking for places are starting to get them.

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

PipG, if your doing the Abingdon marathon then this is just under 18 weeks unless I've got my maths wrong? I'm supposed to start next week based on my 17 week schedule but I think I'll do the first week twice or a slightly cut down version, I've been running 45 - 50+ for the last few months anyway. 9 mile run tonight with 4 miles at half marathon pace.

• Week 1 of 19 @ 41 miles last week, week 2 this week - But that includes the race week being one of them

• Tried a very slow 5km yesterday but my calf tightened up horribly halfway through - clearly the torn muscle is not yet up to running - and walked 2km back home. Limping around today and wondering what my chances are of making it to the start line.

I hope everyone else is getting off to a better start than me!

BB

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

18 weeks doesnt feel that long to go from 0 - marathon, especially given that I would want to do 3 or 4 20 miles in that time.  I think it's doable, maybe, if i dont have any set backs.  I am pondering San Sebastian at the end of Nov as a back up plan.  That would be more $$$ than doing Abingdon though!

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

My schedule IS 18 weeks doh! Starts at week 17 but is 18 weeks in total so officially started yesterday, good job that was a rest day.

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

9 miles done, 4 at tempo pace but messed it up by running far too fast, hopefully a learning exercise done and I'll  get it right next time

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

Nearly finished week one, 5 miles recovery run today then 15 miles tomorrow, should make 54 miles, how's everyone else doing?

• ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Doing Abingdon & then Snowdon 2 weeks later.

In two minds whether to race Abingdon and do Snowdon for the scenery, or use Abingdon as a last long run for Snowdon. TBH, probably the latter. I entered Abingdon to see what I can do on a flat course. Then remembered why I don't know. I prefer off road & hills! been doing pre-training training for the last month, training proper starts Monday.......

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • 3 today, 14 tomorrow - just trying to slow most of the miles to between 7.20 - 7.40

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Broadly following a P+D 18 week schedule here too, but I've also got the Thunder Run 24 hour race in 5 weeks so not sticking to the plan completely. Decent first week though and got 17 planned for tomorrow which will give me 72 for the week. I messed up my LT session on Tuesday too, also by running too fast. Ended up splitting it into 2 x 2 mile efforts, so need to make sure I get that right next time.

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

LS21, wow, 72, my schedule peaks at 70, what time you aiming for?

• LS21- are you doing the TR24 solo or in a team?

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Team of 5 again this year. This will be my 4th Thunder Run this year. In 2010 I ran in a pair, and then I've been in a team of 5 every year since then. So I'm basically doing a fast 10k every 3 hours or so. I normally get 7 laps in (70k), hence my training being based on P+D but not 100% sticking to the plan (e.g. - next week I'll probably do 25-30 miles on Sunday split across 3 or 4 runs, rather than a standard LSR).

Nonstick - not sure yet TBH! I ran 2'53'03 at Abingdon last year, and my PB is 2'49'08 from VLM 2011. So anything between 2'50 and 2'55 I think. But I'll just put the training in and see where I am at the end of September, and see what I think is realistic based on that.

• Crikey - 72 miles pw? phew.

14 this monring on trail at 7.30m/m. Bit too fast but held it together

• LS21- I did it for the 1st last year and we are doing it again this year, in a team of 5. Obviously your team was faster than ours as we only got 5 laps done each!