Heartbreak Marathon

Hi All

I am in, anyone else?

Ben

Comments

• Sure am. Do you know if you can enter online?

• Yeah through the race new forest web site.

Ben

• Cheers. See you there. First one, so dreading it, any advice?

• I'm doing the half (14miles) again this year. It's a really good event but quite hilly so don't expect a great time. I did a flattish half about a month after and was about 16 mins quicker.
  • Hi I'm in (Caroline's husband). Anyone understand the course and distances? It looks like you do three loops on the ridge, each of six miles to give 18 miles. You also do a shortened version of the 10k race (~4-5 miles) to get up and back from the ridge. That looks like a total of only 22-23 miles to me - Am I missing something?

Nick

• Hi Nick, I think the way I see it is:

Same route as the 14 miler + 2 extra 6 mile laps = 26 miles.

Conor - sorry just saw your message - long runs are the staple of marathon running especially your first so get those in, although in reality you only have 2 more long runs left to do 3rd and 10th Feb, mine will be 2 x 22 miles, but you need to do what you can in relation to your training etc.  Then 1 x 10 mile on the 17th Feb.

Feed stations at every 3 miles makes it nice and easy so you will not need to carry water at all. 

Should be good running in the New Forest, I have done their Downton Half a couple of times and have enjoyed it ...

• Cheers mate

• Thanks Ben,

I agree that the marathon looks like it works out as 12 miles longer than the "14-mile" half, but the half looks like one 6 mile loop, plus the 4-5 miles blue run so about 10-11 miles in total!

Still confused - image

• I did the half last year and it did measure at 14 miles so add on the 2x 6 miles and there is your 26.

I'm sure the organisers are competent enough to make sure the route is the correct length.
  • Yep they are good from my experience with the Downton Half.  Looking forward to this one after having my last race cancelled in January.

• Thanks all.

Ben - Was that Gloucester you missed out on in January? I was signed up to that too, so hoping to put the training to good use on this one.

• Hi, yes that was the one - I have a lot of training banked now for this one!

• Will road shoes do for this?
  • Right, just entered. See you there.

Paul - based on my experience of running in the New Forest, road shoes (possibly not racing flats) will be fine.
  • Cool - thanks MI - just had the question myself and thought I would check on here!