2013 Outlaw Bike Feed/Support Thread

Comments

• I'm definitely up for camping. Camp camping with the Pirates ... good times!  image

• Rules of Pirate camping:

1. Do not pitch you tent anywhere near Barley's!
    2. Do not pitch you tent anywhere near Barley's!
    3. Do not leave a bottle of white wine lying around in case it is mistaken for a mallet!
    4. If you see Barley trying to light a BBQ be very afraid!
    5. If you bring bread, Seren will bring the toaster!

image What have I missed??

• Yes Pix, campers get to park next to/near tents.  Had had similar thoughts if it's as cool as it was last year. 

If you've got to be away early on Monday, if you asked around nicely, I'm sure you could leave  your tent and someone would strike it for you and get it back to you somehow image

• EP - do you live near Fraggle then - as she's not that far from me so I may be able to help.

• Feed station

Barley 
    Fraggle 
    Iron Little Sister mathschick 
    Meldy 
    MM and wife 
    Mouse 
    Mr Zuvai 
    Mrs Digger
    Mrs Matt (part of the day as she also needs to shout at 7755matt a bit)
    Mrs SA + Jordy Muffin 
    Rafiki 
    Ridgebackmax 
    Shuffling 
    Slowerthanilook 
    Soup Dragon 
    SuckitupButterCup 
    Trogs 
    Hope
    Garr
    mathschick

Camping

7755matt and Mrs Matt
    Hope
    Schmunks
    Barley
    Meldy
    Mouse
    Rafi
    Ridgebackmax
    Mrs Digger
    Iron Little Sister
    Frags
    Soupy

• Feed station

Barley 
    Fraggle 
    Iron Little Sister mathschick 
    Meldy 
    MM and wife 
    Mouse 
    Mr Zuvai 
    Mrs Digger
    Mrs Matt (part of the day as she also needs to shout at 7755matt a bit)
    Mrs SA + Jordy Muffin 
    Rafiki 
    Ridgebackmax 
    Shuffling 
    Slowerthanilook 
    Soup Dragon 
    SuckitupButterCup 
    Trogs 
    Hope
    Garr
    mathschick

Camping

7755matt and Mrs Matt
    Hope
    Schmunks
    Barley
    Meldy
    Mouse
    Rafi
    Ridgebackmax
    Mrs Digger
    Iron Little Sister
    Frags
    Soupy
    Shuffling

• Thats a lot of feeders!  is the bike and run feed stations at the same place?

• hehehe Feeders image well done Ozzy

•  Ozzie

No, the bike feed station needs lots of peeps to set everything up mix the high5 and when the cyclists come through you need 2 peeps on each of water, High 5, gels, bananas and special needs and also peeps to give the others a break because its a long day, I did it last year, started at 6 am and left about 3 pm, I think the last to leave was about 5pm. It's a great atmosphere on the feed station but its hard but enjoyable work and its non stop, image

• Seeing a happy face giving me good things to eat and drink made all the difference last weekend - I was definately happy to see those stations!  

• Are we able to leave our own drinks at the feed station labelled accordingly as my stomache does not agree with high 5.  SIS seems to work for me.  I can imagine it being non stop as there are so many pirates doing outlaw.

• Ozzy - I would check the rules on Outlaw, but it might be seen as outside help.

Plus there are several feed station - 3 or 4 on the bike course I seem to remember from last year, which you go through twice, and several more on the run course - so I think you can see how complicated this would get if everyone had their own drinks. But check with the organisers - something might be possible.

• I think last year there was a special needs station you could put stuff at.

• If you dont agree with High5, or it doesnt agree with you then I would stick to water and supplement with something else so that you control what you take on board

I doubt if you would be able to put your own drinks on the aid station as this sets a precedent for others and would not be manageable on the stations in my opinion

• Last year was HIgh5 2:1 on the bike, and 2:1 and zero on the run.

• Ozzie, like Cat said you could always leave your stuff in your special needs bag at the feed station, dont know how many special needs bags you can lezve around the course though.

• My understanding is there is only one 'special needs' bag, which last year was at the feed stationed manned by the Pirates - which was about mile 61 and 83 (ish) on the bike course.

• yes there was a special needs table at the end of the pirate feed station.this was available to all competitors so was fair............you have to stop to access it though probably.....

• Whether there is a special needs station will depend on the race instructions and where our feedstation is in relation to the course?  There is only one designated Special Needs station and it may not be the pirate feedstation.

This year the course has changed, you travel in the reverse directions and complete 1 southern loop, 1 northern, 1 southern (I think).

Aside from special needs its not fair for us to allow individuals to provide outside assistance to competitors, aside from it being against the race rules it would not reflect well on us if we didnt treat all participants equally.

Anything we dont know about is a different matter, we havnt got eyes in the back of our heads.

• Another option if you dont like the drinks at a particular event. 

Mix a bottle with 4-5 x strength drink in a bottle for your downtube (well mixed syrupy sludge) and decant/squeeze a portion into your aero bottle before feedstations and add water to desired strength.

• Good idea about the creating a bottle with 4-5 x the strength and diluting in route.   Surely though if I put a box on the feed station myself and stop at the feed station myself to collect my own bottles that cannot be classed as outside assistance?

• Think I might make up a bottle with 4 times the strength.  Then I can dilute 4 bottles of sis with water and then carry water to hydrate as too much sports drink is not good on the the stomache.  I think this is the better option and stops any questions that may be asked

• I suppose the answer to that Ozzy is ... what if everyone did the same thing?  Why should you be able to do something that others cant?
    There are ways round it, whether you make use of the Special Needs station which is there for those reasons or carry what you need and use water from the aid stations but I really would guard against leaving stuff at aid stations and expecting them to be there when you come round again

• There is also the practical side of things. We start to set the feed station up about the same time you start the swim, so when would you place your own bottles there?

• Just trying to get an understanding of how feed stations work.  I think I will go with the dilution idea as it sounds good to me.  Cannot see how it wouldn't work, makes sense to me.  I find it a bit odd how only one brand of supplements are provided at events as different people use different things

• because they use the one who sponsor them image