london to brighton

Comments

• Hi Marcus

You should not need a extra bottle, also do not fill your 2ltr bladder as it weighs a ton ( but you can fill it while training) I agree with you to use as much of what is being supplied as possible to reduce your basic weight to a minimum, ( its a long way to carry a couple of kilos which yo do not needimage). I will also carry some paper money in case I fancy a treatimage 

Bill

• QBQB ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Good to hear all the training souns like it is going well. I ran the Born to Run 40m last Saturday and managed to run it and get 6.30, which was good for me but I really had nothing left for a marathon at the end as we'll need in May! Pushing ahead with the training now as may get little (less at least) time going forwards with new job and other things.

I used bladder on this but am now finding that the shoulder straps keep loosening (Salamon XA), which was a pain. Any ideas? Pretty sure that not overfilling rucksack element (light coat, sweets, etc - not filled to brim as don't want to carry too much!) but may be a way of tieing so that stays put

Not sure what tabs I used (as in brand) but had caffeine and electrolytes and seemed to do trick but had enough of them by 40m so will have to think on for the full 100km...

• Hi  QB

I had this problem of slipping straps, I just put a small cable tie just past the buckle to stop sliding open.  I found this last year I would finish and think I've had enough, but I find you always mentally run to the distance you set your mind to therefore you will pass the forty miles and still be fine (with luck )  I ran a marathon last weekend and did not stop at any of the drink points, but when I run Lon /Bri  I will be stopping and having a break. I think that's a great time for 40miles  just don't run the same speed.  

• ??? Sandwiches (ideal filling, egg mayonnaise, lean meats ??? chicken, turkey, cheese, even sweeter ones such as peanut butter or jam)

??? Bagels with similar filling choices as stated above.

??? Boiled Eggs

??? Bananas (general fruit selection as well, but with a stock pile of bananas ??? not too green)

??? Yoghurts

??? Pasta and potatoes ??? good carbohydrate for runners, but depending on how it is served

could be a little heavy probably good to have as an option)

??? Soups

??? Sweets (jelly babies)

??? Chocolate bars

??? Dried fruit

??? Cereal bars

??? Nuts

??? Fizzy drinks

??? Sports gels and bars (Will be HIGH 5???s range ??? along with their electrolyte drink ??? these will

be made available at all rest stops.)

That's the food they are scoping with there supplier.. But not confirmed
  • QBQB ✭✭✭
    I'll give cable ties a go thanks William, and agree on going slower, stopping and setting mind to distance - but still a way to go!

Sounds like a good menu there. I know we'll take our own faves but I do like an ultra where there's a range of food at stops - somehow encourages you on, gives a lift!
  • Hi Everybody

How's the training going, we have had some awfull weather to contend with, here in derbyshire Ive felt more like ive been training for a artic expedition, I have manage a few marathons with four more booked, I am doing about 40/50 miles aweek and so far everything looks ok . Hows your training going any points of interest to pass on. 

• Really hoping spring arrives sooner rather than later its bitter out there. Likewise happy with were I'm at, averaged 46 miles for the last 6 or so weeks, done 60m in the last 7 days.

Fueling/feeding is always interesting but happy with that too..

I'm nervous, but looking forward to the challenge the day wil bring.

Main worry is the weather will switch the weekend before and hydration, clothing, pace etc will be blown out the window & my lack of experience at long distance will hurt me..

Still aiming at the go slow plan, but still my training pace is too fast..

What are people's tapering plans for an event like this?
  • Hi Marcus

I would say the weather too is my biggest worry, you can train all you like but if the weather is bad there is nothing you can do about it, I did the Peak 40 mile last year and it was very hot and humid quite a few did not show , but most who ran finished , just there times may not have been as go as they wished, but does it matter they finished. 

Taper I am just going to some light running for the last two weeks, and watch my weight it is easy to put on extra pounds as the danger it to keep at the same level food intake, then start carb loading two days before the event.

hydration and energy just remember to start with drinks and energy after 20mins even if it feels to soon, its not.

Bill

• I did this one last year and found the checkpoint well stocked and generally the organisation good.  Last year was the first year runners had been 'allowed' so I think a few lessons would have been learnt in terms of food at checkpoints.

That said I very much enjoyed a couple of sausages at around 70k!

• I hope they have the veggie version  image

• QBQB ✭✭✭

Anyone know please if supporters going to the open checkpoints are able to get updates as to your timings in reaching previous CPs?

I am just thinking that, like others here, I am hoping that my wife and kids can see me at the open CPs and pass on any emergency kit that I then need, but having never done such a distance before I have no idea how long it might take me so could see them hanging around very bored without some sort of progress update.

If no-one knows I'll ask the organisors. If they don't provide times, then I guess that I may have to provide by text, but think that I'll have enough on already surviving!

How's the training going? Specifically what's your longest runs going to be and will you taper or build up to the distance?

• hi  QB

I doubt if they have positioning on every runner, that's seems only to operate at the really big events, but I may be wrong.  as the service areas are every 6 mile or so I think if you let them know when you leave the service area before the one you wish to meet them you should be able to guess within 15min or so. 

My training is still going well  doing 40/ 50miles a week, with me fitting in a marathon most weeks  my last one will be two weeks before the event  and will drop my mileage down to about 20/25 mile a week but will do a few hill repeats to get that extra training on the hills , then I will take really steady and have the last  couple of days with just some walking  but no running.

Bill

• QB & Bill

I have no idea on the service area scenario, but will keep my eyes peeled here and on the site, I'm guessing on the day if I see someone I know I'll wave and crack on image

Training continues to progress similar to Bills, averaging 46, longest 62, longest run only 32, but im still pushing too hard. time wise has was 4h15.

I'm pluggin for the following a tactic on the day of 3hrs for the first 2 1/4s, review and revise plan, but the ideally somewhere similar of the second too, add in regular stretching breaks, loo stops, etc... I'm thinking sub 14hours should be realistic, which leaves me a contingency hour... Any thoughts???

Shoes still concerns me, at present I'm wearing in some new inspire 9's, have my inspire 8's but they're 450 miles down and feeling flat, plus wave ascends are ready to rock if the weather turns sour..

Have you guys enjoyed the change in weather, completely threw my first warmer training run, drank not enough and wore the tops!

Enjoy the next 35 days, and hope to say hello on the day, I imagine it should be reasonably sociable right?
  • Just got my start time (email) confirmed as 6.30, it makes it all very real
  • QBQB ✭✭✭

I'm sure that it'll be sociable on the day. I start at 6.15 so can wave hello as you fly past me!

Organisors are mailing out about tracking as there will be a smart phone option and support can find out what CPs you have gone through - so at c12km apart should be enough of a clue

I'm also struggling with shoe choices as have worn mine down with heavy training. Just want something ok for trails (shouldn't be too bad) and reasonably cushioned for road

Sounds like training/tapering is not so different to you WPM. I'll take a long run/walk this Saturday then marathons following two which I'll balance with a long run day before certainly for first one, then taper off

Biggest struggle remains trying to fit all this training in with work and family - so little time!

• Hi Marcus & QB

Got my start time 06.00  so you should be passing me at some point  had a great run on Saturday round Carsington reservoir on Sat, nice to have some warmth at last. 16miles with weighted back pack hilly.

Yes it does seem to be rushing up now but I am happy with my training I'll just have  hope for good conditions on the day and that I am feeling OK.  I have been told I am the oldest runner in the race. so just look out for a old bloke wearing  Ashbourne running shirt in lime green (it would be nice to put a face to the names)

Shoes I am sticking to my plan of trail and road and wait to see what the day brings ( surface conditions)

When I have run in some of the small marathons they have been very sociable, and on a long run like this you have got to be pretty miserable, if you don't wish to speak to follow runners, after all its not a 10k dash.

Time scale I am just  going to run to a10/ 12min mile plus rests  (my marathon pace is about 9/10 mins)  and walk all the hills and walk and run  inclines but I am hoping 14/16hours but it will be down the weather a lot. 

• I did approx. 26 on Sunday, including 2000ft elev. felt good, it's was definitely quicker than my planned pace for the day, home in 3.40.

Bill I look forward to saying hello on the day, no idea what I'll be wearing, but will probably have an inno8 cap on and salomon vest.

Inspired to keep training as my milage is currently plotting ill have completed a virtual Lands End to John o'Groats (1st Jan 2013 till 25th May) somewhere on the way to Brighton...

I'm fairly sociable I was even chatting to some cyclist going up the zig zag on box hill yesterday image I guess helping people out and trying to keep focused will balance out on the day, I know I'd like people to chat, but possibly not on the big climbs
  • QBQB ✭✭✭

You're getting your hill wokr in then if you're training around Box Hill - did the OlymPicnic ultra there last year and while zig zag road is not so bad, some of the footpaths kill!

Good time you did as well JM, and WPM sounds like your timing is well thought through too and progressing well. I'm going to try a long run (time on my feet) this Saturday, then following week have a long run on Friday and mara on Sat (very slowly!), then start planning what sorts of times and strategy I might start with as a plan - before I abandon it competely before Crawley!

Also going to look once more for comfortable trail shoes as I'm concerned the training has possibly seen my current shoe range feeling their age a tad

• Hi guys , been doing runs and walks on bridleways to prepare for the off road part of the run,  Im doing the Milton Keynes Mara on May 6th as a training run, wearing everything and eating the same as I plan to on the day. Calf strain been restricting the mileage and speed, very annoying but hopefully will be alright on the day!  Furtherst run so far is 30 miles, this will be my first Ultra. What will be the longest run anyone would recommend in training?
    Going to be wearing normal road running shoes unless weather is bad, cushioning better than grip for this distance I am thinking

• QBQB ✭✭✭

Hi Nick

Agree with most of what you say there. Running your mara in full kit and to strategy that you'll use on L2B (I'm doing a long run day before mine to make them feel like a latter stage also) is definitely sensible.

I'm looking into extra trail shoes in case weather is poor, but road could well be fine.

On longest runs, to be honest, I have been further (def 40m) and long times out (say up to 9-10hrs); but we're all new to this distance and finding what works for us so not to say your longest is not enough/ideal. Also my training of late has been pretty much just the long run or back to back Fri/Sat runs so I've needed to get the miles in then as none through week.

Good luck with calf strain. I think we're all carrying a few strains etc now!

• Hi  Everybody

Getting close now, did Lichfield half on Sunday and Prague Marathon this weekend, then I am scaling down my running miles, i have had a problem with my drains at home last week and with all the kneeling down my knees have got a bit tender so i did not do my full mileage I had planned for last week, but  hoping all settles down for the run. The weather is still my biggest worry wet and windy or blistering hot will make for a hard day. but the conditions are going to be perfect (I hopeimage)

• QBQB ✭✭✭

Prague heh?! How others live, Orpington for me today!

Still I enjoy their marathon and as local was able tons jog 6-7m to start and turn into a half for what we are aiming at. Didn't go great but good day out

hope your knees are better and that all enjoy taper. Totally agree on weather wishes, having got soaked and froze today very quickly after I am rethinking my planning

• Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

Hi guys- I'm running it too and getting so nervous now. Does anyone know if they are going to be very strict about the 15 hour cut-off?  I assume that if we don't make this cut off we will be allowed to finish but not get a medal?  image

• QBQB ✭✭✭

Hi Jenny

All of us should be nervous at this stage however well trained and planned - just part of build up!

I'm pretty sure they said that joining as a runner was a 15 hour target so if missed then you still carry on and get medal. They have walkers finishing for hours after that!

Good luck!

• There wasn't a runner cut off last year and I don't think that many made it under 15 hours...can't find the results now. The winner did 11.5 hours so given the range of abilities that enter the chances of everyone finishing within a two/three hour window is probably remote!  It is probably not the type of event that attracts a fast field so I'm not really sure why they have stuck this in.

My longest run was 26 miles in training and building in quite a bit of walking as you use different muscles. The first half has quite a bit of road but the potential to be a bit wet in the fields.  The second half is more off road from memory and was muddy beyond muddy but the weather has been drier this year.

Defianately put a change of shoes/socks in your drop bag if the ground is wet and look after your feet, reapply vaseline etc. It also gets cold at night especially when you are moving slower so make sure you have an extra layer or two to hand if you are likely to be longer especially after dark.

• 11 days band counting, I'm actually looking forward to the challenge, nervous absolutely, prepared? Happy with my training miles, only wish I'd done some long (time) runs. Shoes is still a question think road for first 50 with trails in bag drop?! 

got my number through the post, all became very real... Roll on the weekend..

• Jenny50Jenny50 ✭✭✭

Number etc on the door mat last night! So so real now. Anyone else going to be obsessed with monitoring the weather reports over the next week??  I really really do hope that we get a medal if a few minutes after the cut-off! Obviously I'm aiming for the cut-off but it's untried territory! However the worst outcome would be to DNF. My 2 goals are these:

A : Finish before the Cut off

B: Finish!  ( medal or not)    

No other time related goals at all unlike in marathons.

Will definitely be leaving some shoes in the drop bag plus an abundance of foot-care materials.

My aim it to inject regular walking breaks into the first half as well. I'm a devil for going off too fast in a marathon but I know this strategy simply won't work. Self-Discipline is the name of the game I say image

• QBQB ✭✭✭

Dips, thanks very much for the info. Really useful to hear from someone who completed last year. Also fascinated that you managed it off 26m longest run! A new job has meant that in the last couple of months I've been loading all my weekly miles into 1, 2 at most, runs per week so I've had to make them long, but I wouldn't have the guts to attempt 100km off 26m longest practice run - though it obviously worked for you!

JM, same shoe strategy thoughts unless it pours next couple of weeks when it may be trail throughout

Jenny, as Dips and I have said earlier they have walkers and many slower runners so pretty sure that all medal with 15hrs just as a guide for splitting type of challenge and support. But if concerned read through their site as sure it explains it there or if not contact them. DNF is only real concern and agree on taking it as easy as poss from start.

That's what I'm going to look to do this week as my last training - a slow walk / run early on Saturday, with aim of trying to enjoy it and find it comfortable (as it wasn't last weekend!)

• QB..it's not all about quantity but I would be very scared doing any event off the back of a max of two runs a week.  I run train 5 days a week, plus Spin and 2 x strength and conditioning. Just because my longest run was 'only' 26 miles doesn't mean it was the single contributor to my completing 100k...you need to look at the whole package, not one factor.  

Doing one or two runs a week means you don't experience running on tired legs feel and you also put yourself at a high risk of injury through peaking and throughing. This is also likely to be some of the reason you are not finding the long run comfortable.

I can recomend reading Relentless Forward Progress: A Guide to Running
    Ultramarathons. 

Too late now for any changes to training but it is a worthwhile read.

• QBQB ✭✭✭

Hi Dips - I understood that you would have had a high weekly mileage, and that my recent 2 runs pw and high mileage all in those was far from ideal. Before the job change I was doing 4-5 runs pw, but that's just life and part of the difficulty we all face in meeting challenges like this!

Tired legs experience - I've had my 2 runs on back to back mornings and at long distances, my best way in a bad scenario to maintain that experience (and it's felt like it was working!). But yes it is a higher risk of injury

Always interested in others' training patterns - especially for longer events like this that require some juggling to get the necessary experience / training. My trait would always be towards some long runs (say 20+m for marathons) while others I know advocate shorter and more often - and with more success, but I guess it's a comfort type thing for me, knowing I have such distances run in training. Which is why I was so interested by your success in this off 26m longest run