Join the fight against cancer and sign up to Race for Life today!

Cancer, we’re coming to get you. Join in this year’s Race for Life and show cancer who’s boss. Come along and run, walk, dance or sponsor - together we will bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.

Race for Life is the UK’s biggest fight against cancer and the largest women-only fundraising event in the UK.

Since Race for Life started in 1994, an incredible six million participants have raised over £493million, more than any other UK event series raising money to fund cancer research.

Some of our Race for Life women take part in celebration of surviving a cancer experience. Others take part in memory of a loved one or to give hope to a cancer-free future. But all of you share a common goal: to raise money for Cancer Research UK's groundbreaking work and to help save more lives.

www.raceforlife.org

Comments

• Does any of the £15 entry go to cancer research or is that all admin fees............

• Think some go's into Lance Armstrong's defence fund
  • Apparently all of the £14.99 entry fee goes into the set-up and organisation,

• So Race for Life hasnt actually given any money for the cause its all from sponsorship?

• Like most other charity events, the entry fee covers the cost of the organisation of the event eg the £50 entry fee for the Great North Run.. not sure why this comes as such a suprise?

• I hadn't realised the Great North Run was organised by a "charity"
  • My humble apologies KK

Is there a thread that I can feel free to comment on ?
  • Amazing how people can have such a negative view on a positive event due to an entry fee which you can expect at any running event, regardless of whether it is a charity event or not!.... 

• I think it's that people assume that part of the entry fee is going towards the charity
  • And the way they announce that "Thirty per cent of women DO NOT HAND OVER THEIR SPONSORSHIP" and then email participants for months afterwardsasking them where their money is, as if they've pissed it up the wall in Benidorm, when in fact they thought they were supporting cancer research  just by paying the inflated entry fee.

• Another person taking away from the positivity of the events and the research the money funds! 

• how many women do it 10,000..??..............instead of charging £150,000 to arrange the races....wouldn't it be better if everyone did a park run for free and gave the £150,000 to cancer research as well as all of the sponsorship on top

• To say that 12,500 ladies took part in Glasgow in 2012 and there are over 200 events, I think the scale of park run is a little small!

• 5 forum posts to date and three of them in this thread vested interest MT 22?

The issues I have with R4L are that they mislead people into entering on the basis that they are raising money for cancer research when NOTHING goes to fund research unless they raise sponsorship in addition to the entry fees. Misleading advertising at best

They discriminate against men as they are women only races. Do men not get cancer? 

For those who say a lot of it is based on the Pink breast cancer charities I am attending a funeral on Tuesday of a 36 year old man who died from Breast Cancer. Breast Cancer dont fund research into Male Breast cancer!

• Your race pack and communications
    • Postage of entry packs
    • Barriers and staging
    • Venue hire
    • PA system
    • Toilets
    • Medals
    • Marquees
    • Signage
    • Medical Providers 

Your entry / registration fee helps to cover the cost of all our Race for Life events, not just one individual event. Every location has very different requirements and running costs so to enable us to manage this efficiently the entry fee is fixed across all events.

right found this..........as a lot of these things marquees, signage, pa systems...can be used at each different event and year in year out how is the cost so high......venue hire seems to be an open park in many places........

Ii would be interested in seeing the breakdown of the money spent on these and how much is spent on salaries for people to do it.no problem if they are reasonable and doing a busy job...just i couldn't find the information on the web and i think these things should be transparent..........

• The One quoted by MT 22 took £156,500.00 in entry fees for an event staged in a Park, would be interested to see the breakdown of the costs and expenses for that.

• JPenno wrote (see)

5 forum posts to date and three of them in this thread vested interest MT 22?

The issues I have with R4L are that they mislead people into entering on the basis that they are raising money for cancer research when NOTHING goes to fund research unless they raise sponsorship in addition to the entry fees. Misleading advertising at best

They discriminate against men as they are women only races. Do men not get cancer? 

For those who say a lot of it is based on the Pink breast cancer charities I am attending a funeral on Tuesday of a 36 year old man who died from Breast Cancer. Breast Cancer dont fund research into Male Breast cancer!

JPenno wrote (see)

5 forum posts to date and three of them in this thread vested interest MT 22?

No vested interest, just standing up for a cause I believe in. I think it's a shame that the majority of people jump to conclusions, with no knowledge of the events/what the money goes to and slate an event that a lot of women love to take part in and which raises a vast amount of money for CRUK. £493 million is a lot of money which would not have been raised had these events not been put on! 

• Check their website - pretty self explanatory really

• Your missing the Point Race 4 Life does not raise a penny for Cancer research, the participants do.

Race for Life takes a considerable amount of entry fees. If there have been 6 million entrants paying £10 each (and its always been more) then thats £60 million in fees alone, must have been a hefty profit - How Much has Run for Life donated from its takings?

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I think people are confused as to how it can cost 15 quid per person just to organise before a penny goes to the very deserving cause.

How come most running clubs can put on 5k races for less than a tenner and still have money left over to give to charity, even before sponsorship etc.
  • Race for Life is a product of Cancer Research UK - without the events no money will be raised. If you don't believe that any extra money they have goes into the research pot, where do you think this 'profit' is going? 

• M T 22 wrote (see)

Another person taking away from the positivity of the events and the research the money funds! 

Oh I love all that, just don't like the blackmail and the slurs on the participants who genuinely think they are helping to fund cancer research when they enter the race. 

• Mr Puffy wrote (see)
    M T 22 wrote (see)

Another person taking away from the positivity of the events and the research the money funds! 

Oh I love all that, just don't like the blackmail and the slurs on the participants who genuinely think they are helping to fund cancer research when they enter the race. 

Blackmail? It clearly states on the website what the entry fee is for.. As said before, without the events the millions would not have been raised! There are always people with negative views when others are trying to do good, big shame really! Of course the alternative is to not have an entry fee at all and then take the cost of organising the events from people's sponsorship money! Enter any organised event and you have to pay!