5:2 fasting diet - any experiences/views?

13»

Comments

• OK have read your blog Sarah, and a very good read it is to. image

• TG - try cuppa soups for lunch.  they usually have less than a 100 cals and as most of it is water, it does help to keep the stomach fuller. also dead easy natch!

•  

sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

Hello! Not wanting to spam, but xine pointed me in this direction and asked me to write something about fasting on my blog. So here it is if anyone is interested image

Linky thing

Thanks Sarah image I think that is one of the most balanced posts I've read on the diet (which are usually either "OMG, it's brilliant" or "OMG, it's horrendous")

Part 2 has some really good tips on how to combine the 'fast' days with exercise too image

• Thought I'd try this - first day today - I've probably already eaten upwards of 500 calories and I'm starving.   I'm going to have more like 1000 on my fast days - I figure that it's still a calorie deficit twice week which I wasn't otherwise having.   

• a fat guy at work is doing this (along with almost everyone else, but he really really needs to lose weight and seems to be taking it seriously) .  he's got 10 packet soups adding up to 600 cal that he drinks during the day.  seems to keep him going without hitting the snack cupboard in the evening.

• By my calculations I did about 550 cals yesterday, it was quite hard around lunch time but stuck to driking black coffe no sugar, wich I found I actually quite like, seemed to take away the hunger pangs. My 2nd day is tomorrow as over the next few days I have things to do that will mean eating and drinking normallyimage

• all good thanks KK, i even get a bit of spare time these days.  i trust you're keeping well.

• Green tea isn't a bad option - I can't stand it in tea bags but I tried some stuff my brother brought back from China and that was nice and since then I've been buying  loose leaf green tea which I find makes a nice change from coffee and normal tea.   

• great blog post sarah thanks - tried to comment but couldnt.  Anyone any thoughts on two consecutive days?  Mon and Tues easier for me...  Did it this week and Tues was much harder than mon - didnt notice much on mon - small oaty bowl am, raw salad veggies lunch and steamed fish and bok choi for tea...  was hungry tues but lots of veggie soup was ok.  Found my wednesday am short run a bit tough and light headed though - might try half a banana pre run next time so i dont feel so hypoglycaemic...  

• I have done it on Mon / Wed  / Fri... I've loved it BUT because I am a hoover when it comes to food and it has stopped me eating left overs at every opportunity. Got to say that I have been drinking lots of coffee. Feel like it's reined me in and is probably ensuring that across the week I just eat what I should rather than more. Felt light and fast on 'fast days'. Have followed the 'save yourself for a late as poss' also, eating after 3pm on fast days and therefore timing it before training.

Have found it versatile and tending to fuel well and not wanting to sabotage on ordinary days. Definitely the first time that I have thought this is a 'way of eating' rather than a diet. Doable without much thought.

• I was lurking on here and I wondered if there were any updates on progress etc now that most of you have been doing it for almost a month?
  • Hi Schmunks  - I've lapsed a bit because I'm doing some sort of training most days. But Mr Soup is still managing at least one day, mostly 2 on restricted calories and is doing well. He's lost a bit of weight despite doing very little exercise this last couple of months.  He doesn't mind the fasting days at all now 

• Have definitely 'got bored of that' - HOWEVER VERY successful as a 'budger' of those extra pounds and a boost to get on a more organised / sensible eating habbit. Must say also, I still remember feeling great training following a fasting day.

I think for me this is worth doing a couple of weeks out of every 6/7 reigns things in  - wouldn't want to keep it up AND build up training without someone knowledgeable 'supervising'  -

Hey Schmunkee - love your Angelica! My all time hero... 'because I say so' - a line not used often enough (but frequently by me!)

• my 5:2 diet was 5 parts doner to 2 part chips - worked a treat 

• Began toda so will see how it goes and the next day will be Wdnesday.  Need to lose a bit of weight but today was a bad day to start, there are cake sin the office.  That's just cruel.

I hope over time it will help withe the running and improving the times.